Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I guess the end is near.

Comments

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

I think this game is so going to hell... like auto assault...

• dsulli1410dsulli1410 Member Posts: 45

*positive chi* 

Who needs store box sales when you have direct download? Can't remember the last title I bought in a box from a brick and mortar operation.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by dsulli1410

*positive chi* 

Who needs store box sales when you have direct download? Can't remember the last title I bought in a box from a brick and mortar operation.

Many people still prefer to have a physical product when possible. Also online sales of the game are part of the revenue so they count. It is not like online sales are hidden on NCsofts reports. Actually the store box sales are good for the game. The casual buyer is much more likely to come across the game in a store than he/she is online. Online purchases are more likely made by someone actually looking to buy that particular item.

Originally posted by DBACPhooenix

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

You failed math I guess? 1.84 is for the quarter or 3 months. Thats 600k per month divided by $15 or roughly 40k subs.

Is TR countoing boz sales when they sell or when the store selling them bought them? Right now TR is selling for $19.99 or less. The retailers are no longer making money on them and my guess is TR counted that money at the end of last year when the boxes all shipped.

I guess I was a bit hasty with my calculations, thanks for pointing the error out.

NCSoft would be calculating box sales at the time and price they sell them to retailers.  Which is why box sales are probably very low during Q2 because there is an abundance still at the retailers.

The box sales being counted when they are sold to retailers is why I say 40k subs and basicly do not count any box sales. If we counted box sales the sub number would be lower because the 1.84 million does not change only the ditribution of that revenue would.

TR did go up 7% last quarter, that is a good sign. If they grew like that for a few quarters their subscription number would be pretty healthy for an MMO.

Originally posted by Daffid011

RG hurt the MMO market? Really, have any backup for that? Do you know how many MMOs go to beta and never go to marlet? Those games hurt the investors a lot more than a game that actually goes live and makes back some of its costs.
    Vanguard has lasted this long and by now is probably making a little profit. AOC has time to turn it around and still show a profit as well.

I just want to say two things to touch on your points [both of which I think are well stated]

1. Whoever made the decision to change Tabula Rasa a few years back from a Swords/Elves game into a Space shooter, doomed the game.  I very much doubt that was Richard Garriots decision, but he will get the blame regardless as NCsoft put his name on the games title.  [they knew it needed the extra selling power]
    2. I highly doubt Vanguard is turning a profit on the original 30+ million dollars invested in the games development.  It MAY be close to turning a net profit for SOE since they bought it for much much less than that when Sigil was liquidated.

I thought the change was a great idea. Sci-Fi games like TR are needed I think. Another Elf MMO would have needed to be amazing to sell or at least amazingly marketed. TR changing I believe RG was behind it, he did invent the Logos language they use. TR could have been great, the problem with switching was they did not give the new TR enough time to get created so out came less than half an MMO.

It has no sandbox and the worst crafting system of any MMO I have ever played that had crafting. Earth and Beyond had a better crafting system and many thought that one sucked.

I would think SOE is making a nice profit since guild wars kind of proved you can run servers and make money without a monthly fee. It all depends of course on their costs, but I doubt Sony is running a huge dev team and losing money on that game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

RG hurt the MMO market? Really, have any backup for that? Do you know how many MMOs go to beta and never go to marlet? Those games hurt the investors a lot more than a game that actually goes live and makes back some of its costs.
    Vanguard has lasted this long and by now is probably making a little profit. AOC has time to turn it around and still show a profit as well.

I just want to say two things to touch on your points [both of which I think are well stated]

1. Whoever made the decision to change Tabula Rasa a few years back from a Swords/Elves game into a Space shooter, doomed the game.  I very much doubt that was Richard Garriots decision, but he will get the blame regardless as NCsoft put his name on the games title.  [they knew it needed the extra selling power]
    2. I highly doubt Vanguard is turning a profit on the original 30+ million dollars invested in the games development.  It MAY be close to turning a net profit for SOE since they bought it for much much less than that when Sigil was liquidated.

I thought the change was a great idea. Sci-Fi games like TR are needed I think. Another Elf MMO would have needed to be amazing to sell or at least amazingly marketed. TR changing I believe RG was behind it, he did invent the Logos language they use. TR could have been great, the problem with switching was they did not give the new TR enough time to get created so out came less than half an MMO.

It has no sandbox and the worst crafting system of any MMO I have ever played that had crafting. Earth and Beyond had a better crafting system and many thought that one sucked.

I would think NCSoft is making a nice profit since guild wars kind of proved you can run servers and make money without a monthly fee. It all depends of course on their costs, but I doubt NCSoft is running a huge dev team and losing money on that game.

There. Fixed it for you. As it's NCSoft who is hosting Guildwars. Not SOE.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I was indeed referring to the drastic amount of changes midway through the development of Tabula Rasa making it  a near impossible task to create a good product.  That is what I think doomed the game, not switching from fantasy to sci-fi.  A good game will sell regardless of genre, but a half baked unfinished game has little chance of success and less chance to recover.

Also I think you mean NCSoft and not SOE in you last few lines.

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

I only had a little time to check the forums here this morning. I saw this so i figured that i would take the time to say something.

I am playing TR right now and have enjoyed it enough to say that if I never had an ounce more, the cost of the game and sub would have been worth it.  I have been having a ball and the people are great.  I love it.  I don't see the issue.

When i go to the front page here at mmorpg, I notice that it is the number one SCI-FI rpg/mmo available right now.  Eve does't count as I can't RP as a ship. So, I hope you guys have a good time bashing what is the only place most of us SCI-FI fans have to go right now.  It's really your loss.

I hope some of you try it out again. i hated it at launch but it's a new thing now. I am loving it.

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

I was indeed referring to the drastic amount of changes midway through the development of Tabula Rasa making it  a near impossible task to create a good product.  That is what I think doomed the game, not switching from fantasy to sci-fi.  A good game will sell regardless of genre, but a half baked unfinished game has little chance of success and less chance to recover.

Also I think you mean NCSoft and not SOE in you last few lines.

My mistake I deleted the part that said it was about Vanguard making money for Sony. Made it look like I was still talking about TR.

Yeah as for the time TR then spent being developed it simply was not enough time to make the game what it could have and needed to be.

Originally posted by Guillermo197

I would think NCSoft is making a nice profit since guild wars kind of proved you can run servers and make money without a monthly fee. It all depends of course on their costs, but I doubt NCSoft is running a huge dev team and losing money on that game.

There. Fixed it for you. As it's NCSoft who is hosting Guildwars. Not SOE.

The end was supposed to be about Vanguard not TR. TR supposedly has like 60 people who work for the game. That is accrding to the people who went to the War College.

Originally posted by HardwareGuy

I only had a little time to check the forums here this morning. I saw this so i figured that i would take the time to say something.
    I am playing TR right now and have enjoyed it enough to say that if I never had an ounce more, the cost of the game and sub would have been worth it.  I have been having a ball and the people are great.  I love it.  I don't see the issue.
    When i go to the front page here at mmorpg, I notice that it is the number one SCI-FI rpg/mmo available right now.  Eve does't count as I can't RP as a ship. So, I hope you guys have a good time bashing what is the only place most of us SCI-FI fans have to go right now.  It's really your loss.
    I hope some of you try it out again. i hated it at launch but it's a new thing now. I am loving it.

I played TR December until April, I then came back mid July to mid August. I gave it a second chance and I found it still was lacking in the major areas it needed help since day 1. Saying it is the only place for Sci-Fi is not much of an endorsement. It might be the number 1 Sci-Fi RPG/MMO right now, but as you said it is also the only one since EVE does not count. Being the only one in your genre does not make your game great. You can RP as the captain of that ship. EVE and TR can not be compared, not fair to TR to compare it to a game it can never be.

The game has changed since launch, but not nearly enough for me.

Just a question have you reached level 50 yet? Many of the issues are with the fact that the game is nearing 1 year since release and you can do all the high end content in 6 hours of gaming tops.

I played TR December until April, I then came back mid July to mid August. I gave it a second chance and I found it still was lacking in the major areas it needed help since day 1. Saying it is the only place for Sci-Fi is not much of an endorsement. It might be the number 1 Sci-Fi RPG/MMO right now, but as you said it is also the only one since EVE does not count. Being the only one in your genre does not make your game great. You can RP as the captain of that ship. EVE and TR can not be compared, not fair to TR to compare it to a game it can never be.

Just a question have you reached level 50 yet? Many of the issues are with the fact that the game is nearing 1 year since release and you can do all the high end content in 6 hours of gaming tops.

Yeah, i understand all that stuff you are saying. I know the shortcomings and such to TR. I was mainly doing it for the benefit of people who might try it and like it mainly.  

TR is not "my game".   I am not a fan or anything. I just enjoy it and want others to know it is possible for them to enjoy it if they want a good shooter sci-fi mmo. 

I think it is a really good game to log on and have fun.  i don't think it is a sandbox or a massive game.  I think it's worth the try and money is all.

I appreciate you candor and your points are very valid. A lot of people could have a lot of fun with this game for the cost though.  I think they should be given the chance.

Yeah, i understand all that stuff you are saying. I know the shortcomings and such to TR. I was mainly doing it for the benefit of people who might try it and like it mainly.  

TR is not "my game".   I am not a fan or anything. I just enjoy it and want others to know it is possible for them to enjoy it if they want a good shooter sci-fi mmo. 

I think it is a really good game to log on and have fun.  i don't think it is a sandbox or a massive game.  I think it's worth the try and money is all.

I appreciate you candor and your points are very valid. A lot of people could have a lot of fun with this game for the cost though.  I think they should be given the chance.

I would tell people to buy it at the price it is now. I just think $15 a month is high considering its not really an MMO yet. It is definately fun for a couple of months and if you like having alts of the different classes TR might keep you busy for quite a while.

If you are the more hardcore or the likes to play a main not alts type then TR will most likely only be a short term game for you. TR is really at its best for the casual gamer or someone with other MMOs to fill the downtime. TR just seems to lack the Massive and the Multiplayer aspects of an MMO. The world is kind of small and the game is easy enough that grouping is not needed or even a benefit most of the time. As such most of the game feels like a solo game, and for $15 a month I want more.

• ZenrenZenren Member UncommonPosts: 68

One thing that blows my mind is that they shut down Auto Assault so that they could afford to launch this piece of .... well you get my point. The end is near for this game because it was never really finished when it launched, at least I hope to God what they launched wasn't something they intended to be considered finished.

Tabula Rasa is a 2 dimensional game in more ways than just graphics. There is no story line, so the roleplaying potential is minimal at best. Really you end up doing the same thing over and over, even the quests tend to be "Go hunt this mob and kill XX of them" or "You must go click on this item because if you don't the world will be over run by this creepy looking alien" who ends up looking alot like the aliens found in Predator and Star Wars.

Really Auto Assault was a much better game and at the end probably had as many players as Tabula Rasa and Netdevil pulled the plug. It's just a matter of time before another project becomes more important and they pull the plug on Tabula Rasa as well. At least when they pull the plug on this game, they'll give you a free subscription to the next big thing! YAY!

Overall it wont be a big loss and it'll save a lot of people some wasted time, because once you cap you level, you'll be wondering why you bothered playing this game in the first place.

P.S. Lord British should be ashamed.

If you're reading this, you probably need to get some sun.

I would tell people to buy it at the price it is now. I just think $15 a month is high considering its not really an MMO yet. It is definately fun for a couple of months and if you like having alts of the different classes TR might keep you busy for quite a while.

If you are the more hardcore or the likes to play a main not alts type then TR will most likely only be a short term game for you. TR is really at its best for the casual gamer or someone with other MMOs to fill the downtime. TR just seems to lack the Massive and the Multiplayer aspects of an MMO. The world is kind of small and the game is easy enough that grouping is not needed or even a benefit most of the time. As such most of the game feels like a solo game, and for $15 a month I want more.

Speaking of that, can you lead me to a game that has what TR has and more?  I have given up on sci-fi mmo searching at TR because it is the best thing i could find and is enjoyable.  I would try others because i love the genre.  Any ideas?

SWG was my first mmo and they ruined it with the NGE. I think the players ruined it a bit before that though. It was at it's downhill slide before the NGE anyhow heh.

Speaking of that, can you lead me to a game that has what TR has and more?  I have given up on sci-fi mmo searching at TR because it is the best thing i could find and is enjoyable.  I would try others because i love the genre.  Any ideas?

SWG was my first mmo and they ruined it with the NGE. I think the players ruined it a bit before that though. It was at it's downhill slide before the NGE anyhow heh.

Honestly there are games coming that may fill the Sci-Fi void you feel but nothing else out now beats TR if Sci-Fi is what you want. It has been to this point an ignored genre for MMOs. TR has a great combat system one that I have found to be better than the average MMO.

Maybe look into Anarchy Online. It is older but getting a new facelift and has a lot of depth. Right now I am not playing any MMO because none I have tried lately have filled the need.

This point keeps getting hammered.  $15 too much money.  And maybe its just an age gap, but $15 is just 2 beers (and thats thee cheap stuff) and tip.  Sooooo....I just don't get that arguement.  Heck, I've wasted a lot more cash on a lot less thats for sure.  These $15/month subs actually save me money. lol

This point keeps getting hammered.  $15 too much money.  And maybe its just an age gap, but $15 is just 2 beers (and thats thee cheap stuff) and tip.  Sooooo....I just don't get that arguement.  Heck, I've wasted a lot more cash on a lot less thats for sure.  These $15/month subs actually save me money. lol

Dont know what bars you get robbed in but thats your issue. I can buy a 12 pack of Molson for less than $15.

$15 dollars in and of itself is not a lot of money. But over the course of a year that is $180 dollars to play a game that is not adding enough to justify the cost. That is just the monthly fee add the $50 I paid and we are at $230. For that same money I could buy Five new games out and get a couple of months from each and over time they are more likely to have better replay value over TR. Not to mention I can most likely resell them to the game store and between them get another game maybe two if they are console games.

Lets also look at the fact that most MMOs are the same cost per month and every other one I have played kept me entertained longer than TR so now we get into the fact that this game comparted to others is not worth its costs. The point is if the game was offered for less, it might attract people who would not normally pay $15 a month. The more subs they have the better right? Sometimes you can make more money by charging less because you attract a bigger audience.

I dont know your age but mine is 34. Age gap has nothing to do with it. If you are old enough to drink we are pretty much the same generation.

Sorry if I offended with the age comment.  I just sometimes forget that people that contribute to the boards may well be under the age of 18 and have part time jobs and school, which would make them very mindful of where their dollars go.  I am 35 so we are the same.  I do live in the DC area and yes the bars here not to mention the tax on the beers you will pay no less than $4.50 a draft prime time.  I will only pay for one sub at a time and if I get a couple months enjoyment out of it I am content. 

So, if you base it on some new guy, like myself, who just noticed the title, picked it up for 20 bucks, and paid for 2 months of enjoyment than moved on it would be worthwhile.  Actually I'm hopiing to stretch it till the 2009 releases, but who knows.  Heck, my wife would just assume I have brain surgery to remove the knowledge of what "gaming is". I keep telling her it saves us money...I could be out drinking much more money than I do in front of the compter...and I get to claim I'm home! 

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

You are right no one knows the exact subscription number, but anyone with some math skills can take their quarterly report and come up with a close guess. Revenue from the game went up 7% last quarter, but the royalty went from a positive to -500 million kron.

Alright, so let's come up with a close guess.

In Q2 TR generated USD$1.84 Million in sales.

Assumptions

15% Box Sales

20% EU Memberships (USD$19)

65% US Memberships (USD$15)

TOTAL Average Subscriptions in Q2 = 99,255

Now back in Q1 TR generated USD$1.72 Million in sales.

So assuming that there were more box sales in Q1 (closer to release date) we have:

Assumptions

25% Box Sales

18% EU Memberships (USD$19)

57% US Memberships (USD$15)

TOTAL Average Subscriptions in Q1 = 81,548

As for royalties, I don't see TR listed anywhere in the quarterly report of having lost or even being listed in that section.

You failed math I guess? 1.84 is for the quarter or 3 months. Thats 600k per month divided by $15 or roughly 40k subs.

Is TR countoing boz sales when they sell or when the store selling them bought them? Right now TR is selling for $19.99 or less. The retailers are no longer making money on them and my guess is TR counted that money at the end of last year when the boxes all shipped.

Way less. Like $4.99 and down:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tabula+rasa

Sorry if I offended with the age comment.  I just sometimes forget that people that contribute to the boards may well be under the age of 18 and have part time jobs and school, which would make them very mindful of where their dollars go.  I am 35 so we are the same.  I do live in the DC area and yes the bars here not to mention the tax on the beers you will pay no less than $4.50 a draft prime time.  I will only pay for one sub at a time and if I get a couple months enjoyment out of it I am content. 
    So, if you base it on some new guy, like myself, who just noticed the title, picked it up for 20 bucks, and paid for 2 months of enjoyment than moved on it would be worthwhile.  Actually I'm hopiing to stretch it till the 2009 releases, but who knows.  Heck, my wife would just assume I have brain surgery to remove the knowledge of what "gaming is". I keep telling her it saves us money...I could be out drinking much more money than I do in front of the compter...and I get to claim I'm home! 

Most people under 18 have their parents pay for the game and probably could care less if the game was $50 a month. My reasons for lowering it are it is a good gae, it just is not deep enough to be the only MMO a more hardcore player plays. If you have only a few hours a week then it is fine, and if it keeps you from spending $50 in the bar then its a great investment and your wife should be thankful. 

Originally posted by WisebutCruel

You are right no one knows the exact subscription number, but anyone with some math skills can take their quarterly report and come up with a close guess. Revenue from the game went up 7% last quarter, but the royalty went from a positive to -500 million kron.

Alright, so let's come up with a close guess.

In Q2 TR generated USD$1.84 Million in sales.

Assumptions

15% Box Sales

20% EU Memberships (USD$19)

65% US Memberships (USD$15)

TOTAL Average Subscriptions in Q2 = 99,255

Now back in Q1 TR generated USD$1.72 Million in sales.

So assuming that there were more box sales in Q1 (closer to release date) we have:

Assumptions

25% Box Sales

18% EU Memberships (USD$19)

57% US Memberships (USD$15)

TOTAL Average Subscriptions in Q1 = 81,548

As for royalties, I don't see TR listed anywhere in the quarterly report of having lost or even being listed in that section.

Way less. Like $4.99 and down:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tabula+rasa

I found it funny that in that link the strategy guide was $16.50. TR takes strategy? One of my big complaints is that there are no tactics or strategy needed in the entire game.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

Yes I can suggest a few until Earth Rise, STO, SGW or Fallen Earth hit,  Anarchy Online (and its getting revamped soon) is one of the most complex MMO's out there.  If they would just revamp the character models and make the gameplay more like TR, it would easily be the reigning SCIFI MMO .  ANother that just relaunched is Sage of Ryzom, in fact theres a free trial going and Im very much enjoying it.  Its a mixture of SciFi and fantasy and is also very complex and fun. 

Beleive me, when you get to 50 there will be NOTHING to do in TR, you will either have to roll an alt or stand around defending cps.  And it gets old quick. 

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• SolarTigerSolarTiger Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

"...It was a fresh different setting, trying to break the mold..."

I thought that about 'Auto Assault' also (finally, something other than sword & sorcery)...

but yet another plug pulled...

Maybe "Space" is the next trial area...(Go Jumpgate Evolution & Star Trek Online!!!)

• ViSioN_BCNViSioN_BCN Member UncommonPosts: 34

I agree with this post thread, I saw that in every MMO, I know they invest a lot of money and blah, blah and they need to release as soon as possible and blah blah, but.....there are producers ( people that invest their money to finance ) for what ?....well long time ago I saw a very dirty marketing moves from game devs and also all the MMO game industry filling their customers plenty of lies and dirty manouvres and we pay for what.... unfinished open betas and betas as final releases  ??? .

Comon devs, ok then dont cry to see a lot of pirate servers and pirated games around....OK ?

Damn devs and MMO mafia industry.

Cheers to all poor customers like me.