Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Warhammer will succeed brilliantly

For starters, I'd like to say that I'm a member of the skeptic's camp. I used to look at any upcoming MMO with bright eyed hope and anticipation, but the industry sort of... beat that out of me... repeatedly... with increasingly bigger sticks.

That being said, I played Warhammer during the preview weekend, and I wasn't surprised at all to find lots of things about this game disappointing. Maybe I was being too harsh, but I think I'm still sore from AoC.    But that's not what my post is about right? The title is "Why Warhammer will succeed brilliantly," so let's get to it.

Upon playing Warhammer, I understood immediately what the game was intended to accomplish. First, I got a sense of WoW in terms of art and gameplay (just a sense of it mind you). Second, I got a large helping of PVP, a blending of WoW and DAoC would  be a rough description. And  third, I got a sense, both from my own experience with the IP and from the impressions of other gamers that this is really Warhammer, and that the name itself would sell  - more often than not to WoW subscribers.

Essentially I get the feeling that Mythic's objective was to pick out one popular aspect of World of Warcraft (PvP), make it the centerpiece of their game, and attempt to do it as well or better than their competitor has (though pre-release, "better" is still arguable).

Now, many games have released since WoW reared it's ugly head (or pretty, depending on how you look at it), and most of them have tried in one way or another to draw new people into the genre with their "revolutionary new features." But where are these new players? They're playing WoW of course (at least 9 million of them, since the rest are us old veteran MMO gamers). At this point, it's fair to say that the "gamer pie" IS WoW, and that anyone looking to create a hugely successful game needs a huge helping from the WoW pie. And I'm not sure whether I'm happy to say this or not, but based on what I've seen and heard and played, I predict that  Warhammer Online will do this.

As I played, I increasingly gained the feeling that if I'd been playing endgame World of Warcraft for any considerable length of time, and even had an inkling of boredom or that I'd like to try something else, then all I would need is a big name, heavily hyped on the horizon, and some good old WoW familiarity and I would jump right onto the bandwagon (assuming I still played WoW, that is ).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not calling Warhammer a "WoW-Killer." Frankly I don't think any such thing will ever exist. History has taught us that successful games just fade away into quiet oblivion as the years go by. They don't die in cataclysmic explosions * and I'm talking the successful ones here, Vanguard and Shadowbane don't count  * What I am saying, is that to get more than a million subscribers, Mythic has to go after WoW players... Gung Ho... without a shred of shame, which is, as I said above, exactly what they are doing. And I think a lot of WoW players are ready for something else.

Comments

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

It certainly will succeed. It has all the right elements and considering its competition, it will succeed. It will not be a WoW killer, only Blizzards next mmorpg has a chance at doing that any time soon, and by soon i mean a decade.

Wont wont reach any record numbers, but for an mmorpg pre WoW, it will have a great player base. Anywhere from 500k-1million, if lucky 1.5 at the end of a couple years. By then another mmorpg will arise and steal more players, unless WAR evolves completely. That is something we will have to see.

WAR is a fairly solid product, nothing truly amazing, but a different angle on what we are used to. Solid, and perhaps boring after 6 months, only time will tell, but over all the product is Solid, which is fairly rare this day and age. Only WoW has been able to achieve that recently.

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

Then they should play Tabula Rasa like me and get out of the high fantasy bracket and into some heart pumping action   :P

I canceled my CE preorders for me and my wife.    War is WoW with RVR and less PVE.   TR is definitely fitting the bill for us right now.  Flame if you want, I dont care.  I think they did good with WAR, I just don't think it is what most people want right now...  my opinion of course.

Anyone looking for something different can give me a PM and I will be glad to help you get started over on Orion  -  I am having a blast    :)

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• fuzzylojikfuzzylojik Member Posts: 432
    Originally posted by HardwareGuy

Then they should play Tabula Rasa like me and get out of the high fantasy bracket and into some heart pumping action   :P
    I canceled my CE preorders for me and my wife.    War is WoW with RVR and less PVE.   TR is definitely fitting the bill for us right now.  Flame if you want, I dont care.  I think they did good with WAR, I just don't think it is what most people want right now...  my opinion of course.
    Anyone looking for something different can give me a PM and I will be glad to help you get started over on Orion  -  I am having a blast    :)

Does TR have good PvP, RvR and world PvP objectives?  I haven't read up much on it.

• NogginNoggin Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

WAR is a fairly solid product, nothing truly amazing, but a different angle on what we are used to. Solid, and perhaps boring after 6 months, only time will tell, but over all the product is Solid, which is fairly rare this day and age. Only WoW has been able to achieve that recently.

This is one thing that I hold a lot of respect for. Mythic haven't tried to reinvent the wheel. They also don't seem to have stretched themselves too far (I might have felt otherwise had they not cut the other cities).

So what we're left with is a good solid foundation on which Mythic can build and expand using the rich and deep lore of the TT game.

I plan to play this game at a Medium Pace and not burn myself out as I've done in some previous MMOs I've played.

(Link is audio, but NSFW)

• Hoobla.DanHoobla.Dan Member Posts: 63

If you're looking for PVE, I've found that DDO is great for casual and LOTRO can be great for both casual and relatively hardcore. A matter of opinion, of course, but just throwin that out there for anybody who hasn't tried them.

I'm not sure of how much of WoW's pie WAR will take. I tend to be skeptic about that because it's been touted so many times before with sinkers. And I really don't care. I just hope WAR is a blast.

Playing: Single-player games
    Awaiting: Stargate, Star Trek, assuming the burnout has passed
    Retired: WoW, BC, LotRO, DDO, CoH/V, EVE, WotLK, WAR

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Noggin

This is one thing that I hold a lot of respect for. Mythic haven't tried to reinvent the wheel. They also don't seem to have stretched themselves too far (I might have felt otherwise had they not cut the other cities).

So what we're left with is a good solid foundation on which Mythic can build and expand using the rich and deep lore of the TT game.

I plan to play this game at a Medium Pace and not burn myself out as I've done in some previous MMOs I've played.

Your Failcom avatar signifies that you have not judged the game one way or the other yet, right?  After all, AoC did not truly fail until they started patching.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Your Failcom avatar signifies that you have not judged the game one way or the other yet, right?  After all, AoC did not truly fail until they started patching.

I followed AoC for a long time and when I was invited to beta a few months before release it was immediately apparent that the game had failed my expectations.

I followed WAR for a long time and when I was invited to beta a few months before release it was immediately apparent that the game had met my expectations and in fact, to some extent, exceeded them.

• Shard101Shard101 Member Posts: 479

"Upon playing Warhammer, I understood immediately what the game was intended to accomplish. First, I got a sense of WoW in terms of art and gameplay  "

I stopped reading right there.

WoW's art isn't original.

Originally posted by Shard101

"Upon playing Warhammer, I understood immediately what the game was intended to accomplish. First, I got a sense of WoW in terms of art and gameplay  "

It was inspired by Warhammer.....

• WyluliWyluli Member Posts: 80

I never said that it was... If you had read my entire post, you would know that I make reference to WoW because its overwhelming subscriber base means that the majority of MMO gamers, both old and new and still increasing in number, are still in Blizzard's court, and that the people at Mythic realize this and are focusing their efforts on those players.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by HardwareGuy

Flame if you want, I dont care.  I think they did good with WAR, I just don't think it is what most people want right now...  my opinion of course.

You are not right. WAR is what many peoples expected from WoW, but was left disappointed. Thats why WAR will win all disappointed WoW players, and many WoW addicts.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

It was inspired by Warhammer.....

Warhammer Online wasn't even going for this art style until WOW and frigging loo at the CG trailer it looks nothing like WOW's art style of the CG trailer so its obvious Mythic looked at WOW and chose a similar art style.

• bee52bee52 Member Posts: 158

The artstyle that was originally being used for 'Warhammer Online' was the one being developed by Climax.

I've seen plenty of miniatures that look similar to those models in-game.

• Shard101Shard101 Member Posts: 479
    Originally posted by Wyluli

I never said that it was... If you had read my entire post, you would know that I make reference to WoW because its overwhelming subscriber base means that the majority of MMO gamers, both old and new and still increasing in number, are still in Blizzard's court, and that the people at Mythic realize this and are focusing their efforts on those players.

I don't believe a damn thing Blizzard says about its inflated subscription numbers. I seriously doubt Mythic even believes it.

CCP and EVE Online are the same way about their over inflated subscription numbers.

WoW barely has 5mil real subscriptions and that is pushing it.

• WyluliWyluli Member Posts: 80

I don't believe a damn thing Blizzard says about its inflated subscription numbers. I seriously doubt Mythic even believes it.

CCP and EVE Online are the same way about their over inflated subscription numbers.

How fascinating... And upon what have you based your estimate? I was just being silly when I mentioned reported subscription numbers. No doubt you infiltrated Blizzard's headquarters where, with great stealth and guile, you pilfered the true subscription numbers and made away with their nasty little secret. That'll show 'em! 

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Wyluli

How fascinating... And upon what have you based your estimate? I was just being silly when I mentioned reported subscription numbers. No doubt you infiltrated Blizzard's headquarters where, with great stealth and guile, you pilfered the true subscription numbers and made away with their nasty little secret. That'll show 'em! 

I think Michael Jackson and Madona have more subscriptions than WoW . Do you prefer them? I personally preffer Burzum, at least becasue only few know him. Most ppls are sheeps and just becasue this in WoW there are most shepps than any other MMO. Is it look so great? Yes - from Blizzard pocket point of view.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

I really dont care who copied who for art type stuff but when the game mechanics are too similar to what I've played before then it really feels like I'm just rerolling another char in another game. So far the only thing i've found thats somewhat unique is the public quests,which I like, but most everything else has a very "been there done that" feeling to it.

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469

WAR will easily be #2.  Could it become #1?  Sure, but it will take at least 2 years.  

• TeamFortressTeamFortress Member Posts: 179

http://www.vivendi.com/corp/en/press_2008/20080724_Vivendi_Reports_First_Half_2008_Revenues.php

Website Vivendi. report of the first half year of 2008 (ending July 2008).

Audited Financial report : confirmed : 10.9 million active Wow subscribers.

As Vivendi is a an official stock market rated (mother) company, these reports have to comply with the financial reports of Int coorporations.

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

Discussion closed I suppose.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by TeamFortress

http://www.vivendi.com/corp/en/press_2008/20080724_Vivendi_Reports_First_Half_2008_Revenues.php

As Vivendi is a an official stock market rated (mother) company, these reports have to comply with the financial reports of Int coorporations.

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

Its a good thing everyone on this forum is a financial consultant and has stock with Blizzard.  Why does it matter here how many subs WoW has?  Do you play with all 10+mil people?  No you don't.  You play with the same amount of people as every other MMO out there.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

I used to pretty much ignore subscription numbers but now I don't. I figured well if I like the game who cares right? Well then I played Vanguard and after a few months I figured out that it was taking 4 months to fix minor bugs because all that was left of the dev team was some intern in the back corner of the office.

If a game doesn't make a profit it won't get any development so what is the point of playing it. I don't see any news about any Vanguard expansion any time soon. I consider a game a failure if it has its best numbers the day it comes out. If this game follows that trend I wouldn't keep playing it even if I did like it because I don't want a repeat of Vanguard: saga of failure.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by skeptical

I used to pretty much ignore subscription numbers but now I don't. I figured well if I like the game who cares right? Well then I played Vanguard and after a few months I figured out that it was taking 4 months to fix minor bugs because all that was left of the dev team was some intern in the back corner of the office.
    If a game doesn't make a profit it won't get any development so what is the point of playing it. I don't see any news about any Vanguard expansion any time soon. I consider a game a failure if it has its best numbers the day it comes out. If this game follows that trend I wouldn't keep playing it even if I did like it because I don't want a repeat of Vanguard: saga of failure.

However true this may be, look at what Blizzard has to be making.  They sure as hell aren't putting it back into WoW or that game would have so much content you wouldn't need any other game.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Locklain

Originally posted by TeamFortress

Its a good thing everyone on this forum is a financial consultant and has stock with Blizzard.  Why does it matter here how many subs WoW has?  Do you play with all 10+mil people?  No you don't.  You play with the same amount of people as every other MMO out there.

If some guy makes a stupid claim like "WoW is lying, theres no way they can be that successful! they have maybe 5 million at most...probably not even that. They are so lying to you guys" and a guy like TF comes along and shows how silly that guy is by linking official information. Then I see nothing wrong with putting the first poster in his place when he makes such hateboy claims.

WoW isnt for everyone, but denying its success is out right stupid. No mmorpg has come close to WoW in terms of success, i have yet to see any western mmorpg get over 1-2 million subs. I think Lineage 2 was the closest but thats asian.

Even if you do not play with all X million players, the success of the game that you play will effect what you see in the game, how long the game you play will last without fear of closing down, and the options you get to move around when you want to play with different people on the many many servers they will have because of this.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

It will be interesting to see how WAR is polished prior to launch.  There are a number of things that need to change so that WAR doesn't seem so 'foreign' or 'makeshift' as opposed to 'polished' and 'finished'.  If those things are taken care of, then WAR will be 'successful'.  Though, i'm not sure how we are really defining 'success'. 

WoW set the bar.  WoW is the title holder. 

• fingisfingis Member Posts: 207

Is there a game with original art? Maybe one of the asian ones? I can't think of a game with original artwork off hand.