Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Multiplayer Space Strategy game rocks. MMORTS

Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

For those who enjoy MOO and Civilzation but dissapointed that multiplayer is an afterthought here it is!:

http://www.spaceciv.com/ 

Space Civilizations, generic sounding game but it's nice.

Downloaded it a couple days ago and I am impressed.  Looks like it is in open beta, and it's very easy to download and start.  Looks like galaxies come with 30 players on average.  Game turns lasts 1 hour, yet that really doesn't matter the way the game is set up, you can assign governors to do tasks for when you are away.  Considering I'd find myself strategizing sometimes for an hour in MOO3 or Civilization, the 1 hour per turn in Space Civilizations doesn't bother me, it's natural hehe.

This game is better then Master of Orion 3.  For one thing there are THREE DIMENSIONS!  It even looks graphically better.  It also takes from the best of Civilization games, you can assign farmer, worker, scientist, or military on each planet.  It's very solid, I haven't seen any bugs.

I've been looking online for a MMORTS, but I mostly came up with some really corny stuff.  Space Civilization is persistent, that means  your "Realm" isn't disjointed on a spreadsheet somewhere like instanced, it's exactly like MOO or Civilization but in 3 dimensions and with other players.

Now if only Medieval Total War were turned into a MMORTS GOOD GOD that would rock.

Comments

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

THIS IS IT!  No hexagons, no warp-lanes, no wormholes, distance is calculated in 3 dimensions to the decimal point *cries*. 

The genre is finally advancing (4X + massive multiplayer). 

Why did it take 10+ years?

I'm psyched.

• galantgonegalantgone Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Nerf09

For those who enjoy MOO and Civilzation but dissapointed that multiplayer is an afterthought here it is!:
    http://www.spaceciv.com/ 

Space Civilizations, generic sounding game but it's nice.
    Downloaded it a couple days ago and I am impressed.  Looks like it is in open beta, and it's very easy to download and start.  Looks like galaxies come with 30 players on average.  Game turns lasts 1 hour, yet that really doesn't matter the way the game is set up, you can assign governors to do tasks for when you are away.  Considering I'd find myself strategizing sometimes for an hour in MOO3 or Civilization, the 1 hour per turn in Space Civilizations doesn't bother me, it's natural hehe.

This game is better then Master of Orion 3.  For one thing there are THREE DIMENSIONS!  It even looks graphically better.  It also takes from the best of Civilization games, you can assign farmer, worker, scientist, or military on each planet.  It's very solid, I haven't seen any bugs.
    I've been looking online for a MMORTS, but I mostly came up with some really corny stuff.  Space Civilization is persistent, that means  your "Realm" isn't disjointed on a spreadsheet somewhere like instanced, it's exactly like MOO or Civilization but in 3 dimensions and with other players.
    Now if only Medieval Total War were turned into a MMORTS GOOD GOD that would rock.

If Mount and Blade was turned into a MMORPG that would rock

• deadalus_29deadalus_29 Member Posts: 3

This game is better then Master of Orion 3. 

well, most of the games are better then moo3, including freecell (and i hate card games)

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Looks really cool I'll check it out. Looks like something in Trade Wars vein

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715

Looks kinda boring.

Originally posted by Rinic

Looks kinda boring.

I specifically used terms like "Civilization" and "Master of Orion" so if you don't like those games, then don't look.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Originally posted by Rinic

Looks kinda boring.

I specifically used terms like "Civilization" and "Master of Orion" so if you don't like those games, then don't look.

Civilization has moved from a pure-combat game, to a "rpg" ish game, where options mater.  Just the option of leader, religion,etc...  change your civilization.   Games designed around combat look to untrained  eyes like  glorified  slow and boring galcon clones.

I understand why Nerf say what he say.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Check out

Beyond Protocol

www.beyondprotocol.com/phpnuke/html/

the MMORTS

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

That looks like a mmo version of Sins of the solar empire. 

I love that game.

Might have to take a look at that.

Originally posted by Torak

Check out

Beyond Protocol

the MMORTS

Minor little problem, Beyond Protocol is in closed beta.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Originally posted by Torak

Check out
    Beyond Protocol
    the MMORTS

Minor little problem, Beyond Protocol is in closed beta.

I love from BP the giganteous of the map. I hate from BP the interface, and the somewhat slow renderer.

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

game looks like a spreadsheet.

not meant for a diss.

have fun.

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• StonefaceStoneface Member Posts: 21

lolol - soz chap but you must be blind. This game has the largest 3d RTS environment ever published - check out www.beyondprotocol.org/index.php/bpguides/game-details/spaceavailable.html. You probably just saw a few builder screens, the ones where you can design every ship from hull and all components, you can design the alloys that the hulls are made from, the barrel of a laser..and much more. Or you can buy said components or even complete ships and fit your fleet out that way.  i give up trying to explain its aspects  again n again - easier to put up the wiki n community sites.

This is the largest MMO, nevermind MMORTS, that ive seen - please give it more of  a glance before you dismiss an Independant developers creation. I have no involvement as a developer of this game btw- im pure player.

As to looking for MMORTS -  I have heard this plenty over the 8 years ive been playing them. Lets see - we have Mankind, Ballerium(RiP), dreamlords, saga, Time of defiance, boundless planet, shattered galaxy, Far reaches of space, and more - I can safely say most folk dont seem to be able to use google at all. mmorts.com has always been about, though dull and active one day a month. Last year I put up www.mmortsgamers.com to bring a bit of life back into the perception of the genre and I think we hold both 1st and 2nd on google for the term MMORTS.... kinda confusing me how you dont find much lol

Fabricati Diem, Pvnc
    ( Make My Day Punk)
    http://www.mmortsgamers.com
    TIP OF THE DAY – If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.