Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All the CTD complaints

There are a ton of people complaining about CTDs while playing WAR. Most of them claim a CTD every 30 minutes; some say it's more or less frequent.

My advice: get Vista.

I've been playing WAR for several weeks now, and I literally have not had a single CTD. My rig is decent, but certainly not top-end since I bought it about a year ago. I have SLI, but I'm not even running it because I use dual monitors for work entirely too much to lose that functionality. My 2 vid cards are only 256Mb, but even in large-scale RvR, the lag is virtually non-existent. And no, I don't have some miraculous intarweb connection. In fact, I live in a rural area and only have 3Mb DSL (yuck!).

I know about a dozen friends that are also in the preview weekend, and 3 who were in closed beta. Of those people, only 2 of them have had CTD issues, and they're both running Windows XP.

Seriously, XP is a piece of sh*t OS. Unless you're running a bunch of really old programs that won't install on Vista, there's just no reason to not upgrade (if you're able to do so monetarily, of course). Say what you want about Vista, but I've been using it since I bought this rig new a year ago and I've NEVER seen a BSoD, nor have I CTD in any of the games I play frequently.

Just my 2 cents.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
-Glen Cook

Comments

• YodalYodal Member Posts: 35

I have 4 machines running this game and only the version with a clean install of vista crashes.

The rig has decent specs, Quad 6600 with 4gigs of ram an 8800 GT 640 running vista 32 bit.

the other computers some of lesser stats all have xp pro and not one crash.

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

Heh. Not much of a 2 cents. You're advocating people spend $200+ to upgrade to something they really don't need. The only thing Vista provides over XP is Directx10 support, and we've seen how many games have that. Vista is also a resource hog and, honestly, a pain in the ass to do anything on as it asks you 'Do you really want to do this?' on everything you do. Yes, you can disable it, but then you run into the problem that you're opening up the computer more than it is on XP, with no middle ground. While I can see the benefits of that in a corporate environment, it makes little sense in a home environment.

XP is hardly a crap OS, and it is the most prevalent with many reluctant to upgrade to Vista due to the reports of all the software that won't run on it and the performance hit you take for running games under Vista. Pretty much it boils down to: if you're buying a new machine, go ahead and get Vista. Otherwise, stick with XP.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by twhint

Heh. Not much of a 2 cents. You're advocating people spend $200+ to upgrade to something they really don't need. The only thing Vista provides over XP is Directx10 support, and we've seen how many games have that. Vista is also a resource hog and, honestly, a pain in the ass to do anything on as it asks you 'Do you really want to do this?' on everything you do. Yes, you can disable it, but then you run into the problem that you're opening up the computer more than it is on XP, with no middle ground. While I can see the benefits of that in a corporate environment, it makes little sense in a home environment.
    XP is hardly a crap OS, and it is the most prevalent with many reluctant to upgrade to Vista due to the reports of all the software that won't run on it and the performance hit you take for running games under Vista. Pretty much it boils down to: if you're buying a new machine, go ahead and get Vista. Otherwise, stick with XP.

My 2 cents is worth just as much as yours, bud. Take that for what it's worth.

If you and all your friends who ran Vista had no problems crashing w/ WAR or any other game you normally play, and you HAD problems crashing when using XP, what would you suggest? I wonder.

I do this moron thing... it's called "basing my opinions on my experiences". Sorry if you can't understand how that works.

I never said this would fix all your problems. In fact, I said "my advice".

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

Well I'm using XP pro and  I haven't had a single CTD. Not one. Whatever the problem is, I doubt it has anything to do with the OS.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• DraconusDraconus Freeworld AdminMember Posts: 781

I run Xp pro and I have only had ONE CTD in 14 hours of game play over the last 2 days.

• SideTraKdSideTraKd Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Gazenthia

Well I'm using XP pro and  I haven't had a single CTD. Not one. Whatever the problem is, I doubt it has anything to do with the OS.

Same here.  No CTDs running XP Pro.  And on top of that, I'm also using a GPU that they're still working to get straight, with few issues of any kind.

• FikrocFikroc Member Posts: 166

I'm on XP pro as well with latest updates and haven't had a single CTD.

• headcacheheadcache Member Posts: 61

Welcome to 2 cent central. I've played beta on two machines. One has XP Home. Not one CTD. My other has Vista, and is a pretty fresh install. Constant CTDs.

Don't use such limited statistics to base a claim to what everybody should do.

• bigplanetbigplanet Member Posts: 133

before the patch this morning i had 0 CTDs, after the patch i crash evey 40 min.

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

• Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637

I used to ctd a lot.  I changed graphics to fastest framrate and I dotn ctd anymore (even when the graphics look the same).  Anyone experiencing that problem do that until Mythic fix the problem.  Maybe that helps.

I noticed that people ctd less but the problem is still there.  So keep sending them feedback abotu it, if you ctd, please.

• DarthMechDarthMech Member UncommonPosts: 40

so far its running great for me !!!!

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Gazenthia

Good to hear, if I have to get Vista, I will say good bye to WAR.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

xp pro..and in my 6 months testing....i had <10 ctds...in the last week, 0. I'd rather not waste money on a dead OS thx!

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I have vista. Didnt have a single CTD before they fixed it in CB. Now I am getting them. Randomly and only  or 3 in 6 hours today so its not an OS problem. Its client side.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

I have had only one CTD in the last 3 weeks, it's nowhere even near as bad as it once was.

• Kuji-KiriKuji-Kiri Member Posts: 170

Seems like alot of the people using XP aren't on Home. I'm on XP home and I'm getting them every 30-45 mins on average. If it's really bad I may get 2-3 in 15 mins, or really good I may get 1 every 2 hours or something.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

Any gamer that says that should be hung.

-iCeh

• EindrachenEindrachen Member Posts: 211

So, Vista doesn't have any problems, huh?

Do this: go to the Wiki article on it, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista.

Now, go down to Criticism and Reception sections.  See all those little number-links after certain sentences?  Click them, and they'll take you to the articles and/or other things being quoted.

Lots of problems.  LOTS of them.  I mean, they're already pushing development of Windows 7 (Blackcomb, Vienna, whatever the hell they want to call it) because Vista sucks so bad.  They're looking at realeasing it in just 4 years after Vista.

Oh, and if you want a first-hand word  on it?  I work for a hospital IT department.  We have announced officially we are not using or supporting it whatsoever.  Found out most of the other governmental agencies around here are also refusing to use Vista.

XP isn't perfect, no.  But saying Vista is like the Second Coming OS or whatever is just plain stupid.

Keep your two cents.  They aren't worth the bandwidth.

• AdrianusAdrianus Member Posts: 13

Vista here and I get CTDs every 40 to 60 minutes. If its due to low resources or something then XP should be better since the sys requirements are lower. On Vista Ihe longest time between crashes (about 2 to 3 hrs) has been on Todbringer assuming because it has the lowest pop atm = less ppl zerging around the newbie zones.

CoX - Champion (Hero) - Guardian (Villain)
    FFXI - Diabolos
    WoW - Trollbane (Horde) - Misha (Ally)

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

my vista is fine and preferred over old xp

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214

I have Vista and I am getting occasional CTD. It's mostly when I am doing something really intense like fighting or entering a player quest. I submitted a bug report and you should all do the same.

• DinenDinen Member Posts: 2

Hello

I'm running on a core 2 duo 2 ghz

2 gb ram and geforce 8600 gs 256 mb

Nothin in here is bad. Yes it's a laptob (asus) but it's a good one. Bough 1 year ago. I'm running vista.

I get CTD each fucking 30 minutes. Each time I change zone. each time I get in a rvr zone. Each time I get in a PQ zone. That is seriously pissing me off. I updated my drivers (sound and graphic) I've put all my graphics down (even resolution) and I run with nothing on background. I formated my comp 1 month ago and I run the file check in the game each time I play it.

Nothing is working.

• odragonodragon Member Posts: 106

I am running vista, with a geforce 7800 GTX. Never had a CTD with Warhammer. Also, I play on minimum graphic settings too. I have never been a big fan to show spell effects in crowded games like this one, or since EQ1, After the 50th cast of healing/damage spell, theres really no difference between the first time or the last time you cast.

Tho, I also do a clean install every 6 months or so since uninstallers of other games don't clean up their crap properly off of the registry and drive like they should.

• -Akkarin--Akkarin- Member Posts: 33

My advice: get Vista. ?

I pre ordered WAR off d2d in the hope of playing open beta and then headstart.

It is now the 21st September and I haven't got to play the game once because I ctd everytime I try load up a server.

I am on vista.

It has nothing to do with with vista or not.