Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One word review: Underwhelming

It fails to excite, stimulate, or impress.

Starting with an unimpressive PvE with the static mobs that do not pursue or aggro, to a chaotic PvP where there is little indication what happens to your character, I found the game to be unexciting.

The animations are choppy and uninspired, the effects are lacking, the environments seem flat. The quests are boring. Very,  very boring. Now I know this is supposed to be a PvP game, but as long as one needs to level up, PvE matters.

As for PvP we have dominated and were dominated in many scenarios, yet I can't pinpoint what was that won or lost each game. I can't tell if someone is attacking me, what class the opponent is etc. Now I admit I can't clearly identify what it is about combat that I don't like. It just does not feel right. The Tome of Knowledge is a huge and messy user manual. We all know how much people like reading manuals.

Public Quest are an overrated mess. You never know how many people are doing them, there is no sense of accomplishment, no sense of danger or failure, just point and hack-hack-hack. All of the PQs are simply a rehash of the Island of Quel Danas from WoW. My most hated region, grind with lipstick.

It is a letdown. Nuff said.

Comments

• YnyrorYnyror Member Posts: 91

IMHO......

Your smoking crack 

• Tuck2000Tuck2000 Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by Ynyror

IMHO......

Your smoking crack 

Yeah do lay off the pipe

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by longabow

Starting with an unimpressive PvE with the static mobs that do not pursue or aggro, to a chaotic PvP where there is little indication what happens to your character, I found the game to be unexciting.
    The animations are choppy and uninspired, the effects are lacking, the environments seem flat. The quests are boring. Very,  very boring. Now I know this is supposed to be a PvP game, but as long as one needs to level up, PvE matters.
    As for PvP we have dominated and were dominated in many scenarios, yet I can't pinpoint what was that won or lost each game. I can't tell if someone is attacking me, what class the opponent is etc. Now I admit I can't clearly identify what it is about combat that I don't like. It just does not feel right. The Tome of Knowledge is a huge and messy user manual. We all know how much people like reading manuals.
     Public Quest are an overrated mess. You never know how many people are doing them, there is no sense of accomplishment, no sense of danger or failure, just point and hack-hack-hack. All of the PQs are simply a rehash of the Island of Quel Danas from WoW. My most hated region, grind with lipstick.

It's kind of hard to take your criticisms of a game seriously when you post on the MMORPG WoW forums about being banned for buying gold, powerleveling, and previously played accounts.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

What a waste of a thread. This boils down to you not knowing how to game basically. :(

Originally posted by mackdawg19

What a waste of a thread. This boils down to you not knowing how to game basically. :(

Check his post history. He buys gold, powerleveling, and pre-played characters. He doesn't even really play games.

• longabowlongabow Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by vernd

It's kind of hard to take your criticisms of a game seriously when you post on the MMORPG WoW forums about being banned for buying gold, powerleveling, and previously played accounts.

Ooh, this is cool I got background checked. It looks like I will never be able to run for president.

I was honest then and I am honest now.

The game has some substantial shortcomings.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Now I know this is supposed to be a PvP game, but as long as one needs to level up, PvE matters.

You can level through pvp alone.  Just go out into the RvR zone and start slaughtering.

I can't tell if someone is attacking me, what class the opponent is etc.

I like this idea.  You should not know what is attacking you just by reading the target window.  I like the fact that one needs to learn what the enemy looks like, what they can do and then fight accordingly.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Way to go on the flaming everyone... So, since he bought gold, he doesn't have a right to an opinion? /sigh

For the first while playing I felt the same way about the game, but I'm getting a little more into it, although there are still things I don't like about it.

Ooh, this is cool I got background checked. It looks like I will never be able to run for president.

I was honest then and I am honest now.

The game has some substantial shortcomings.

Understanding the perspective someone has on games is fundamental in understanding their approach to gaming. This is usually why when people review a game, they talk a bit about their gaming history and what they like in a game. It gives the reader perspective.

Originally posted by jusomdude

Way to go on the flaming everyone... So, since he bought gold, he doesn't have a right to an opinion? /sigh

For the first while playing I felt the same way about the game, but I'm getting a little more into it, although there are still things I don't like about it.

Of course he has a right to an opinion. I have a right to not take the opinion seriously. We're all speaking our minds here, nothing wrong with that.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

I'm afraid I have to agree with OP... underwhelming would be my description of the game aswell, being my first venture into WAR with this preview weekend. However, I know that its just the starting zones, and most starting zones in other MMOs are much more dull than these, so thats a very good sign of the future tiers- I'm sure the action will be amazing later on. That being said, I have to agree that the PQs are quite a letdown for the stated reasons, and the boring quests.

I do like the ToK however, though it could use a lot of work. The zones are very nicely done, NPCs warring other NPCs brings a great deal of immersion, .. scenarios I enjoyed a great deal, even though the PVP seems very chaotic in this game. Like the OP said I found it hard to know what was being done to me, what class some people were, etc.. but I had fun on my Magus and my Sorceress and received a ton of RVR kills in just a few scenarios.

Still... I too was underwhelmed overall.. I understand its beta, graphics arent all in, etc etc., but its basically the finished product. I was a little let down too..

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

one more thing that I forgot to mention: the game feels very linear.

The paths are laid out to make them as long as possible. I felt as if it was a game on rails.

When I had to kill the third kind of harpies (graphically undistinguishable from all others) within a little over 5 hours  I was saddened. What is really sad how static and apathetic mobs are.

Some of these "helper" features actually take away  the pleasure of exploring. When you have all kinds of indicators on the map you tend not to care why are you going there and what the quest is about.

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

It is sad for me to say , but... i feel the same way.  The game isn't very good really.  I expected more from the hype and was let down when I played it. 

I think it is a decent game.  I just don't think it is for me. 

I think a lot of people would prefer WoW gameplay to it , unless they love tactical RVR.

I really don't know what to say.  I wanted to love this game but it may not be for me.  I am going to play more and give it a decent shot but I dont know...  It feels...  like a rehash.   I have more fun in TR right now which is odd... but I do love SCI-FI.

I hope they do well as with every gaming company... it is hard to do what they do with time limitations.

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

Translation: It didn't hold my hand and I didn't take the time to learn the game mechanics.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

I AGREE WITH THE OP to a extent.

Who gives a flying shitter if he posts about WoW or Gold farming... he does explain WAR in a fairly correct manner.

He is not wrong. This is not to say WAR is a bad game, or that it should be avoided at all cost... not at all.

We as gamers can clearly see what Mythic is trying to achieve, and while it might not be whats in this beta currently, you can at least appreciate the thought that maybe Mythic would continue to perfect their intent.

Look it is still a beta right now, everytime you log in you get windows that pop up asking you survey questions. They do this because THEY KNOW that their game isnt perfect, but rather, its apparent they want to know whats working and whats not working...and thus at which order of priority to address it.

Yes the game is a tad underwhelming, but thats not necessarily a bad thing since overwhelming can be just as bad. Some game mechanics need to be tweeked with, some polish added to the zones and over all game.

Yeah the animations are a bit crude, bugs exist as well as place holder animations and graphics in the game.

Yeah theres a lack of itemization, unique characters and certain forms of character progression.. but it doesnt mean it will always stay that way. Thats what content patching is for.

The player quests are a nice gimmick, fun at first, then they lose their shine, but hey that happens for everything these days. Its better to have them than not have them. They really are not very much fun when you have 100's of people trying to do it and its just one big crowd of players attempting to rush to a mob and not even getting a hit off.

The RvR is fun but its fairly linear in which zones you pvp in against which sides for part of the game. Like you feel like you are just playing tauren mill over and over again, one large zerg with too many AOE casters pushes the other large zerg with AOE casters back a bit, then they push back and its a perpectual back and forth for hours thing.

Not much has changed since we faced it in WoW. Actually with WoW you usually had more room to move around. I still like WAR's RvR set up, but if it doesnt evolve a bit more, its going to get old and fast.

I have to say this though, WAR is 100 times more satisfying than AoC imo, which was pretty much stale. WAR has some life to it, but its a bit down syndromed at the moment, kinda slow and a bit simple. Though, with any luck after some trial and error, and extra polish + minor re-evaluating, the game can turn out perfect.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Thats one long one word review. I ll give you a 3 word one. You are wrong!!!!

P.S. I love the game and i am actually more impressed then i thought i would be by a long shot.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

one more thing that I forgot to mention: the game feels very linear.
    The paths are laid out to make them as long as possible. I felt as if it was a game on rails.
    When I had to kill the third kind of harpies (graphically undistinguishable from all others) within a little over 5 hours  I was saddened. What is really sad how static and apathetic mobs are.
    Some of these "helper" features actually take away  the pleasure of exploring. When you have all kinds of indicators on the map you tend not to care why are you going there and what the quest is about.

I suppose you don't like the very non-linear Public Quests, and Scenarios, as I they completely de-rail your "linear" mindset.

The fact that you can participate in quests with countless others while still getting rewards, and great experience. While the same goes for PvP, I have never played a game where you can also get mob like EXP for killing other players, while also getting loot from them, and substantial amounts of cash. And you can level up solely off that.

You clearly do not know the meaning of linear.

Your opinion is also not really welcome, as the fact that you have bought gold/powerleveling services, clearly means that you do not enjoy leveling up or the time and effort it takes to get results.

Go buy another WoW account and have some truly linear gameplay.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

This guy is a tool.  I wish they had a tool smiley icon...

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

I AGREE WITH THE OP to a extent.
    Who gives a flying shitter if he posts about WoW or Gold farming... he does explain WAR in a fairly correct manner.

I do, because it speaks volumes as to the approach he takes to MMORPGs. He didn't really talk about what he likes in a game, so when I was reading his original post I wanted to see some examples of things he likes. So I checked his post history and was quite surprised that he very much seems to be the "instant gratification" type of gamer, which pretty much means his opinions and reasoning are diametrically opposed to my own. I was simply voicing my opinion, just like he was. That's all.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Who needs an icon.

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

Calm down guys.

This is like calling a guy a jerk simply because he doesn't like the same things as you. There is some point to his arguments. The game is not for everyone. If you're looking to buy your way to the top, it won't work here. If you're looking to sell your way to phat money, it won't work here. It takes some understanding of simple game mechanics to learn that the game is centered around PvP, and not PvE.

All kidding aside, we all have our opinions. He doesn't like the game and shouldn't be villified for it. Nor should he be told how wrong he is, because he really isn't. He's speaking from his perspective.. He should be made fun of for paying real money for virtual items, but that's a whole seperate issue.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

As for PvP we have dominated and were dominated in many scenarios, yet I can't pinpoint what was that won or lost each game. I can't tell if someone is attacking me, what class the opponent is etc. Now I admit I can't clearly identify what it is about combat that I don't like.  

Could it be that you possibly, maybe, perhaps might not fully understand what's going on because it's new to you? It's ok to say you don't know wtf is going on. There's a lot of that going around in this game so far. I know saying the word "tactics" brings out the asshatedness in some of the hardcore players and critics, so let's just call it "situational awareness". This isn't WOW PvP, teamwork matters and cluelessly running around spamming your abilities at random people will get your side pwned by any group of enemies that halfway know what they're doing.

Basically you sound lost. Try sitting back and just watching if you can get to a good vantage point.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

Originally posted by mrroboto40

I suppose you don't like the very non-linear Public Quests, and Scenarios, as I they completely de-rail your "linear" mindset.
    The fact that you can participate in quests with countless others while still getting rewards, and great experience. While the same goes for PvP, I have never played a game where you can also get mob like EXP for killing other players, while also getting loot from them, and substantial amounts of cash. And you can level up solely off that.

What is it that you find exciting in participating in a grind with N players none of whom give a damn about your presence there? The point is not in having an icon that says you are in group with this or that but actually collaborating in some meaningful way.

The main fallacy of the PQ system seems to be that it will foster group play. Whereas at least in the open beta, it only seems to promote indifference and  reduces meaningful grouping and social aspects.

Also you say that one can level up by redoing PQs over and over again. Is that the non-linear aspect of PQs that you refer to?  Indeed that is non-linear in the sense that running in a circle is non-linear as well.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다