Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ugly

2»

Comments

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

How did he get the high res graphics?  Were they available in closed beta and disabled for this weekend's event?
    That picture looks amazing btw.

Actually if you press the link that says go to flikr home page or w/e but close to that..

There is text where he says that the game still doesn't have high ress textures (yet).

Some of the pictures that were linked remind me of what I saw 3 to 4 months ago in closed beta.  Armor set textures etc had been redone... lighting etc all make an impact on the screen shots you'll see.  As well as character texture revamps/being finished etc

Altho I did notice one poster took a pre-rendered scene that Mythic has had up various places and tried to pass it off as a screen shot as well.

To my knowledge at no point in closed beta were the "high ress" textures in place.

Obviously Mythic has a client with them... and would most likely be showing this to press and at shows... (one would hope).

At least (and this is coming from someone that won't be buying the game) you are seeing the game as it has been seen so far....  Rather than being shown countless DX10 videos of how awesome the game looks... only to be told that the DX10 client isn't going to be around for months.. etc  (yes that's a shot at AoC... ).

My issues with WAR are not based on how it looks... tho I will honestly say when I first logged in 7 or so months ago... The first thing my room mate said was "oh you are playing WoW again..."

So things have changed over time...

• CloudinkCloudink Member UncommonPosts: 120

oinyo  Posts like yours is why I am embarrassed to admit I live in the States.

"It''s like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG''s NGE

I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

"Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul."
    -Tycho

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by ProfRed

I think it's anything but ugly.  I think it looks perfect for a Warhammer MMO.  Character designs are some of my favorite in any MMO ever.
    What are you comparing them to? 
    Vanguard - 100 times uglier.
    WoW - 100 times cheesier.
    EQ2 - 100 times more plastic and uglier.
    CoH - 100 times less ridiculous.
    Lineage 2 - 100 times less cloned.
    LotRO - 100 times less awkward.
    Am I missing something? 

Character designs:

Vanguard - Somewhat plastic, interesting gear

WoW -  I don't play that game.

EQ2 - No idea.

CoH - Are you kidding me? thats game is teh "Spore Creature Creator" of MMOs, If theres something good on CoX is the character creation.

Lineage 2- It looks like your generic korean amazing extreme anime-ske extreme anime korean generic extreme. So very very good, If is your thing. Also the king of sexy characters. AION will detrone it.

LoTRO - Good, somewhat generic.

WAR - Good, somewhat generic. Theres also no character customizacion, and the character design screen is fugly.

----

I am a WAR fanboi, but I have to accept that WAR characters are lowpoly stuff to show 100 on the screen. Is not his best.

• BaltusBaltus Member Posts: 34

well, fists of all, whoever says the graphics are ugly need to elaborate a little on what are they talking about, yesterday (elder beta)  I was playing with the character creation screen, since I really hate elves ( in general not WAR specific) I never really looked into the character creation screen for the high elves.  Anyway, I was looking at the female models and they had one in which she had a scar and her eye missing and I though to myself, that is one ugly female model.   in this case ugly=good   you are giving an option to make a battle worn character, in my book that is really cool.

It is pointless to say that a character model looks ugly,  everybody has an their own version of what pretty and ugly is, some people find Jackson Pollock's painting beautiful while others see them as ugly. 

I found parts of WAR stunning and parts that needed a little more work, but in general I liked the art direction and lets be honest, if you are making a 7' tall green brute with large jaws and tusks, no matter how much you want it to look real, it will alwasy look cartoony to some people because you can't compare it to anything in the real world.

the scenery looks really nice in general and it gives you the feel that you are in the middle of a war and that is the whole point of them. 

When people are used to seeing something and they look at something different, it will alwasy look odd because they are used to one thing and some people will interpret that odd feeling with being ugly. some people will not like the art direction and that is valid too, you can't make something that everybody will like.

well, there is also a short explanation, troll that WoW fanatics that don't want anything to be good and they only want one good game out there.

• butters88butters88 Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by alkennjoi

Screenshot on high settings:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/abriael/2780049018/sizes/o/in/set-72157606842213345/
    If this pic (and the others viewable on that page) are not impressive, then Im a tard.

Wow... that's the best screenshot I've ever seen of this game. Far from ugly.

• Cotillion99Cotillion99 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Teiman

The game have very ugly interfaces. But the scenary are very interesting. Notice: I say interesting, not pretty.  Is more about what you see than how what you see looks.
    There are real creepy areas on the game, and stuff to freak about. 

Then change it.  You can completely manipulate the interface with the interface editor.  So... if it's ugly then thats your fault for not making it pretty. 

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Originally posted by alkennjoi

i will admit i thought the beta footage looked horrible.  I cut off any possiblity for ever playing this game until I saw a vidoe from some convention with their grphics settign turned up.  It looked really cool, the textured, lighting, dynamic shadows, and even the once bland environment took on an entirely new atmospheric feel...  i refer you to abriel's review becuase its one of my favorite on here, and just check out this screenshot of his with higher graphic settings turned on... its great and not cartoonish at all.
     Abriel's cool review:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/196222/page/1
    Screenshot on high settings:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/abriael/2780049018/sizes/o/in/set-72157606842213345/
    If this pic (and the others viewable on that page) are not impressive, then Im a tard.

How did he get the high res graphics?  Were they available in closed beta and disabled for this weekend's event?

That picture looks amazing btw.

While beta testing there was two screenshot options.  One was the standard screenshot, which is what we mostly see, the other was a super screenshot.  These super screenshots increased the resolution of the picture to (if I remember correctly) 2568x1920 with a longer clip plane as well as better looking textures.  Most stayed away from them as it caused your computer to freeze for upwards of 5 seconds while you generated them.  The pic of the Swordmaster is the result of a super screenshot.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

I don't think the graphics are very good.

I was expecting at least something similar to L2 or maybe EQ2...  the models are blocky and ugly.

I guess if the gameplay is good it won't matter much but , yeah... that's my opinion about it.

It is 2008...  game companies can do better on customization.

It's not just WAR... it's a lot of games.

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• CildatenCildaten Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by ProfRed

I think it's anything but ugly.  I think it looks perfect for a Warhammer MMO.  Character designs are some of my favorite in any MMO ever.
    What are you comparing them to? 
    Vanguard - 100 times uglier.
    WoW - 100 times cheesier.
    EQ2 - 100 times more plastic and uglier.
    CoH - 100 times less ridiculous.
    Lineage 2 - 100 times less cloned.
    LotRO - 100 times less awkward.
    Am I missing something? 

100 x 0 is still 0.

• starbeadstarbead Member Posts: 43

This phase is all about testing the servers, which are doing their part quite well.  They don't want feedback on how your rig runs the game, they want to see what happens when a ton of people are on screen at once.

The LOTRO preview didn't include high rez graphics, either.  And LOTRO had the most stable launch for a AAA MMO in recent memory. 

"It is 2008...  game companies can do better on customization."

The documentation in the game folder says that character customization is not finalized yet.

If it looks like this during the headstart, I'd start to worry, but for now just get in there and enjoy the fight.

• BaltusBaltus Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Cildaten

100 x 0 is still 0.

Please, save your time, we all know you will not like the game because you LOVE wow and everything that is not wow is garbage.... 849 hours played? 

Don't worry, even if WAR is great, you will still have WoW, we can have 2 succesfull games in the market.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Haha you can bash it all you want.  You can try to tell me it doesn't look good, but in my eyes it does.  I hope that you can find something that you enjoy playing so you don't have to find people to argue with on the internet.

• CildatenCildaten Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Baltus

Originally posted by Cildaten

100 x 0 is still 0.

Please, save your time, we all know you will not like the game because you LOVE wow and everything that is not wow is garbage.... 849 hours played? 

Don't worry, even if WAR is great, you will still have WoW, we can have 2 succesfull games in the market.

849 hours about 2 years ago, Mr.Smart guy.