Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my rant

FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

Hi everyone,

my rant on AoC.

* I've been hyped for this game for almost a year now. Followed the dev. diaries, read the beta leaks before they were closed. hushed doomsayers here. bought a new computer. the whole deal actually. made 4 friends buy the game.

* I expected it to be buggy, to my surprise it run smoothly. There are ladder feats, few items, unbalanced skills. cant deal with it? quit. luckily i can.

* I've read all the hate posts here and i had from day 1 till now 6 technical issues only.  the first was the CE key issue, had to start 2 days delayed, they sent another key. The other 5 are the crashes. I'm also to blame for that because i play the game windowed and i like watching sitcoms when i put my char on rest, multitask all the way.

* I was prepared to pay for playing beta. This thing runs very good for a beta. so i'm ok with the game.  Send 3 petitions to gms about quest bugs. (all gem guests, different tiers) granted they all offered different solutions but solved my problem within an hour nontheless.

*i start to see a pattern here. AO is known for 2 things, bugs and great community. If this goes on like this only the most patient, most understanding people will be left. So bugs may be a feature.

* The reality of the thing is i have no other option. There is none better. If there was i would have gone long ago. since there isnt, and me bitching wont change anything, i would rather enjoy the ride, close my eyes to the ugly. maybe i'll leave after all, maybe 2 years later when ppl say "why is there this %$% purple, who uses it" i will be the one who says " dude there was a time when it was the only purple u can get lol"

thanks for bearing

I need more vespene gas.

Comments

• silkwormsilkworm Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Falfeir

Hi everyone,
    my rant on AoC.
    * I've been hyped for this game for almost a year now. Followed the dev. diaries, read the beta leaks before they were closed. hushed doomsayers here. bought a new computer. the whole deal actually. made 4 friends buy the game.
    After 4 years of playing AO and getting tired of it, I decided to try AOC for a change. I ordered the CE, bought new computer parts too. Luckily I didn't persuade anyone to join me in this fiasco.
    * I expected it to be buggy, to my surprise it run smoothly. There are ladder feats, few items, unbalanced skills. cant deal with it? quit. luckily i can.
    I found AOC to be buggy but most of all boring... (Priest archetype class running two hots and two aoe dots and running in a pack of mobs -- superfun!) Fun factor diminished after 2 weeks of playing.
    * I've read all the hate posts here and i had from day 1 till now 6 technical issues only.  the first was the CE key issue, had to start 2 days delayed, they sent another key. The other 5 are the crashes. I'm also to blame for that because i play the game windowed and i like watching sitcoms when i put my char on rest, multitask all the way.
    Crashes, grey maps followed by crashes... did I mention crashes? It was mostly my computer's fault though and partially internet's.
    * I was prepared to pay for playing beta. This thing runs very good for a beta. so i'm ok with the game.  Send 3 petitions to gms about quest bugs. (all gem guests, different tiers) granted they all offered different solutions but solved my problem within an hour nontheless.
    Can't comment on that, have no experience playing betas.
    *i start to see a pattern here. AO is known for 2 things, bugs and great community. If this goes on like this only the most patient, most understanding people will be left. So bugs may be a feature.
    AO is also known for its complexity, a quality which AOC hasn't inherited in the least. I felt really special playing AOC. Taken by the hand hardcore mode. Most patient, most understanding people will be left? Masochistic is the mildest term I would use.
    * The reality of the thing is i have no other option. There is none better. If there was i would have gone long ago. since there isnt, and me bitching wont change anything, i would rather enjoy the ride, close my eyes to the ugly. maybe i'll leave after all, maybe 2 years later when ppl say "why is there this %$% purple, who uses it" i will be the one who says " dude there was a time when it was the only purple u can get lol"
    I could go back to AO, which is a much more complete, challenging and fun game, but since I got tired of it in the first place and tasted AOC, I really got sick of FC. I am trying EVE atm.
    Thanks for bearing the hate. Kisses!

• Lance08Lance08 Member Posts: 120

Games don't get any worse than this, glad you can stand it.

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

I was like you followed it since sometime back in 07. Built a new pc for it. convinced my friedns to get it. I even talked one of my friends into building a new pc instead of going on vacation for this game. Got the ce hell I even got the oversized aoc mousepad... well ... we all lasted three weeks. Luckily my friend needed a new pc to play other games anyways so it wasnt a total loss for him but he still hasnt let me live it down.  Just let it go. It will be much easier theres other mmos coming.

Aion, Champions, DCUO, Kotor (hopefully) Star trek online, War, Wotlk

Surely out of them all one of them has to be good thats what I am hoping anyways. For now I will just play city of heroes.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

Bugs are a feature? Enjoy playing a game with only the biggest fanboys then I guess.

• Litigator_ABLitigator_AB Member Posts: 311
    Originally posted by Falfeir

Hi everyone,
    my rant on AoC.

thanks for bearing

Honestly dude, let me tell you something.  It is not the bugs or the memory leaks that scared people away (at least the hardcore crowd...if that is not you fair enough).

It is Funcom's blatant and unending screwing with characters and the absolute garbage they call end-game. 

People can handle buggy.  Like let's say a seige or two craps out.  People can handle that.  But for 3 months...you cannot win a seige and take a battlekeep.  It has never been done.  Ever.   This is vital stuff.  There is no PvP system at all.  None.  Minus keeping track of kills/deaths.  They couldn't even implement the most basic of systems to keep players somewhat satisfied.   They nerfed month's worth of player's work on a whim.   There are rampant dupes and exploits.   Nothing is remedied on a player level unless people whine to a GM.  It's outrageously out of control.

I loved it 1-80 before this stuff happened.

Lit