Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth the try again?

2»

Comments

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

This game is nothing like it was at launch.

Bugs are virtually non-existent and the content is polished.

I really hated this at launch and played through 2 stages of beta. I came back and couldn't have been more pleased.

I enjoy the real-time combat and the ability to use everything in the environment for cover and tactical approaches.

That said, I think it will only hold about 2 months of interest for most people. STILL, you will have a LOT of fun.

They have added in a new CP (command post) system that can be used to war between clans, adding a new dimension.

TR should let us play on opposing factions, eliminating the boring AI controlled enemy faction. I don't want Planetside, but if they let us play opposing factions (alien v human) and had giant battlefields with vehicles, that'd be sick. I'd play it forever!

TR is a good game and easily one of the best games out there right now. However, its ability to keep you interested is just not there. It falls short of being truly great. I re-subbed and logged in 2 X total in a month. It's just not got anything to interest me and keep me drawn in.

If you haven't played it recently, or have never played it, give it a shot. You can get it for dirt cheap via Amazon.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• whastingswhastings Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by levsix

I enjoy the real-time combat and the ability to use everything in the environment for cover and tactical approaches.
    That said, I think it will only hold about 2 months of interest for most people. STILL, you will have a LOT of fun.

In the last two patches, they have modified the Logos casting and the combat interface, so you can change weapons, ability selection, and ability loadouts without having to wait for the current ability to complete casting. You can also cast while crouching. So combat feels faster paced than before, and is more flexible.

I haven't been in quite two months, but when I decided to go from free trail to paid subscriber, I expected I might level up a character for a bit, then take a break and come back later. Time will tell if I actually decide to take a break.

Current Game: nothing
    Retired Games: Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft
    Looking forward to: Stargate Worlds, Aion, Earthrise

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

I resubbed to check out  the new changes and sad to say, I'm gone again.  My level 48 medic basically ran around the upper levels alone, the place was a wasteland with the Bane controlling most of the cps in Descent and Howling Maw.  I love the action, but the game still has no depth for me.  Ill keep an eye out tho and keep checking back to see what they continue to update.

Cyas!

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

I'd love to play this game, as I enjoyed the beta starting area. However, I had nothing but money spam on my trial and a GM in chat not doing anything about it. Acting like it wasn't a big deal (this was months ago). The game felt like it lacked content, and that's what alot of the higher levels said to me as well.

I love RG's work. And wish Tabula Rasa was his main concern, instead of getting pumped into space with our digital DNA.

I bought the collectors edition for $7.95 the other day, and bought a spare for my fiance. That's not a great sign of success.

When they make this game worth paying $15/month for (or cave in/go under and go f2p), I'll definitely be playing. I'm burned out on medieval fantasy. I want Sci-Fi, and TR has that done well.

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by DBACPhooenix

Originally posted by sabutai22

TR still fails and will continue to do so;
     - too many bugs to even start listing
    - not enough content
    - limited gameplay
    - horrible pathing
    - inconsistent quest/mission system
    - horrible community
    - groups have limited support / roles and tactics
    I could go on and on, however that fact of the matter is only the die hard RG fanbui's continue to play.

Have you even played the game recently?

- Bugs - Please do list them off, because this is one of the most polished games out there today

- Content - From 1-49 there is plenty, at 50 the game is lacking, but we'll be seeing some end game content next month

- Gameplay - Combat is excellent, Storyline is great, crafting is horrible (currently being revamped)

- Pathing - It is very easy to f ind your way around the maps in this game

- Missions - The storyline in this game is great.  All of the in between quests are also spot on and far from inconsistant

- Community - Less need for grouping = Less community interaction.  Developer/player relations are second to none.

- Roles/Tactics - Best feature of this game is that there are no defined roles.  Just because your a medic, doesn't mean you have to heal everyone.  Players can customize their characters to define their own roles.  That is a win for skill customization.

I could go on and on, however the fact of the matter is only trolls who are dead set on WoW model of MMO's will continue to bash this game.

im also interested in TRs current state, i left 2 weeks after TR started (been in beta from march 2007 till end) most bugs i remember from before i left (after release):

missions not updating , missions dont end at questgiver or cant get next step , broken missions - target not in game, mission radar shows wrong target or direction, mission mobs in walls

inventory bugs

one shot mobs (players killed by unknown damage not in log, unreasonable damage from normal mobs), mobs with insane regen (non-bosses), mobs shoot through walls from far away

logos missing, logos at wrong place , logos there but not working (cant touch this), wrong description of logos for abilities (or the game saying you miss logo X but you have it 100% and the ability doesnt work)

client crashes (never really had this , even in beta)

lvl 30+ abilities not working or beeing just plain useless or fillers

crafting ?

reload bugs (weapons stuck without ammo till client restart)

etc.

is everything fixed now after ~10 months ?

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

i got this e-mail

REPORT IN FOR DUTY
    YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN REACTIVATED!

As a former Tabula Rasa recruit, the AFS would like to show its appreciation for your services by inviting you to play during a critical phase of Operation Immortality. Simply log-in to your existing Tabula Rasa account and you will be able to play for FREE from today until August 31st 2008, no credit cards or commitments required.

I thought ok might be worth giving a Try but wtf is wrong with the Patching System, (im not talking about the downloading) after 1 hour of patching i am at 1% ...

No my machine ain't slow

Core 2 Duo E8400
    3,5 Gb RAM (x86 OS)
    Radeon 4870

Edit: I used the Download link they gave me in the E-Mail, now i try to install it from the PlayNC launcher maybe its already updated.

• orioniteorionite Member UncommonPosts: 139

I've also received this email

Downloaded 2.7 GB (at 400 kbs - quite good)

Downloaded 450+ MB of patc (at 120 kbs - not quite so good)

Updater gets stuck everytime I try it. (pretty bad)

Checked my account: Account Status = Not Playable (simply awful!)

So, in essence: No, it's not worth the try again! If they can't even get people INTO the game, I'm not inclined to believe they can actually provide a stable and enjoyable playing experience.

To say it with the words from the Dragon's Den: I can not accept your offer! I'm out!

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Download the game through NCsoft launcher its fully updated already. Also my Account says unplayable, i can play without Problems (probably don't show this marketing offer).

• orioniteorionite Member UncommonPosts: 139

Yeah, I found out that because I live in Ireland, I can't play Eve or TR due to incompatibilities with my network/internet provider (NTL/Chello) and NCSoft. So, it's all for naught.

Good luck yourselves!

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

Well, that is to bad for the ones who cannot play it. 

I just canceled my Warhammer CE preorders after taking part in the preview weekend.

I will be playing TR until something better comes out sci-fi wise.  I think high fantasy has had it's run and we need something new. 

War (for me)  was a day late and a dollar short.

I enjoy TR and the new updates really helped the game a lot (and by help I mean it was a totally different gaming experience for me even though i played beta and retail a year or so ago).

Good luck to you guys either way. It is tough not having a good game when you are a gamer  :)

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• dsulli1410dsulli1410 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by HardwareGuy

Well, that is to bad for the ones who cannot play it. 
    I just canceled my Warhammer CE preorders after taking part in the preview weekend.
    I will be playing TR until something better comes out sci-fi wise.  I think high fantasy has had it's run and we need something new. 
    War (for me)  was a day late and a dollar short.
    I enjoy TR and the new updates really helped the game a lot (and by help I mean it was a totally different gaming experience for me even though i played beta and retail a year or so ago).
    Good luck to you guys either way. It is tough not having a good game when you are a gamer  :)

Could not agree with you more.  I am also not fufilling my CE preorder and i know of quite a few others in the same boat, so looks like TR may have an uptick for the time being as I think it fills the needs for many a gamer, not necessarly the raiders out there but for many others looking for that a change from the current fantasy games out there.

• "TR is a good game and easily one of the best games out there right now."

That has got to be one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

This game lacks glaringly in content and gameplay, it's a run-n-gun console game for kiddies that can't shoot without an aimbot in a FPS.

Tabula Rasa is, easily, one of the worst games ever.

• BoudahXLBoudahXL Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by Ichijo

"TR is a good game and easily one of the best games out there right now."

This game lacks glaringly in content and gameplay, it's a run-n-gun console game for kiddies that can't shoot without an aimbot in a FPS.

Ermmm... Everytime I see this kind comment about a game that is non-mmo standard I smile.

1- If a game is not the best, you have to be obsenely stupid to play it!

2-If a game doesn't require 30+ hours of game time a week, it' has to be shallow and without substance.

3-If you cannot agree with me you're either an idiot or a loser, but more importantly my point of view has to be THE one otherwise it invalidate itself in the process.

Do you have to love the story to appreciate an actor's performance?

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by BoudahXL

Ermmm... Everytime I see this kind comment about a game that is non-mmo standard I smile.

2-If a game doesn't require 30+ hours of game time a week, it' has to be shallow and without substance.

3-If you cannot agree with me you're either an idiot or a loser, but more importantly my point of view has to be THE one otherwise it invalidate itself in the process.

TR does fit number 2 on your list though. It is quite shallow for an MMO that costs $15 a month. It is based on a war that feels like a war for the first 20 levels or so and then seems to lose that warlike quality that makes it great in the begining.  The zones are not dense enough with enemies to really feel like you are fighting for mankinds right to exist. To me I felt like Rambo, one man taking on the bane and winning the war singlehandedly.

It was fun for about 2 months after that the lack of high level content and the fact that the war feels very forced and linear made the creation of alts a waste of my time.

Tr could have and should have been great. RG had some great ideas that simply never came to fruition in this game. The sandbox elements are non existant and make the game feel like a Hack-n-Slash instead of a deep involving MMO. The lack of reasons to group and the lack of people to group with make it feel quite lonely. I was expecting epic battles in the fight to save mankind, instead I got Rambo VS Aliens.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

TR does fit number 2 on your list though. It is quite shallow for an MMO that costs $15 a month. It is based on a war that feels like a war for the first 20 levels or so and then seems to lose that warlike quality that makes it great in the begining.  The zones are not dense enough with enemies to really feel like you are fighting for mankinds right to exist. To me I felt like Rambo, one man taking on the bane and winning the war singlehandedly.

It was fun for about 2 months after that the lack of high level content and the fact that the war feels very forced and linear made the creation of alts a waste of my time.

Tr could have and should have been great. RG had some great ideas that simply never came to fruition in this game. The sandbox elements are non existant and make the game feel like a Hack-n-Slash instead of a deep involving MMO. The lack of reasons to group and the lack of people to group with make it feel quite lonely. I was expecting epic battles in the fight to save mankind, instead I got Rambo VS Aliens.

Yep pretty much, although I payed 20$ for special edition box, once I have played my 4th month I'll prolly quit.

To me lots of MMO's out there are fun but very very few are worth more than 3-4 months of playtime.(which is roughly the price of a standard game)

Too many start fine 0-20%, then you get your character developement at 30%, then at 50% you get some filling content, eventually between 80% and 100% you get your end game "grinding".Depending on your mmo, it can start at 80% or sometimes you get to grind heavily at 100%(a la WoW)

While many call "end game content" I personally call it "grinding", some company sugar coat it, some other just shove it down the players throat.

But in the end doing the same instance over and over to obtain an item, is just grinding in disguise.

Killing the same mob in an open world map or an instance is just the same.Kill 3x20 or 60, it's the same, but 3x20 seems so less grinding

What is content?

-Lore? Story? Arc quests? Epic Quest? Number of levels? Number of different items? Rarity level of items? Popularity?

What if a game had a great background story, what if every NPC would have sound files instead of just text box?What if your game had a solid relation with the content.In the end if there is no end game grinding, 99% of the player would consider the game shallow and lacking content.

TabulaRasa is lacking "end game grinding" there is no reason for doing the same instance over and over in order to obtain a particular item because you can login anytime and do any instance you like even if you don't have all the latest/best items.A very rare weapon look exactly the same as a common item, how shallow

TR has a deep and rich story behind every map, logos and logos definition.The NPC are link through an arc story, There are even mission where you can decide the outcome within certain parameters (good/bad).

But I ask you, does it really matter?This is not content as per most mmo junky definition.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Yep pretty much, although I payed 20$ for special edition box, once I have played my 4th month I'll prolly quit.

To me lots of MMO's out there are fun but very very few are worth more than 3-4 months of playtime.(which is roughly the price of a standard game)

Too many start fine 0-20%, then you get your character developement at 30%, then at 50% you get some filling content, eventually between 80% and 100% you get your end game "grinding".Depending on your mmo, it can start at 80% or sometimes you get to grind heavily at 100%(a la WoW)

While many call "end game content" I personally call it "grinding", some company sugar coat it, some other just shove it down the players throat.

But in the end doing the same instance over and over to obtain an item, is just grinding in disguise.

Killing the same mob in an open world map or an instance is just the same.Kill 3x20 or 60, it's the same, but 3x20 seems so less grinding

What is content?

-Lore? Story? Arc quests? Epic Quest? Number of levels? Number of different items? Rarity level of items? Popularity?

What if a game had a great background story, what if every NPC would have sound files instead of just text box?What if your game had a solid relation with the content.In the end if there is no end game grinding, 99% of the player would consider the game shallow and lacking content.

TabulaRasa is lacking "end game grinding" there is no reason for doing the same instance over and over in order to obtain a particular item because you can login anytime and do any instance you like even if you don't have all the latest/best items.A very rare weapon look exactly the same as a common item, how shallow

TR has a deep and rich story behind every map, logos and logos definition.The NPC are link through an arc story, There are even mission where you can decide the outcome within certain parameters (good/bad).

But I ask you, does it really matter?This is not content as per most mmo junky definition.

I like the idea behind TRs backstory. To me the problem is they have stopped expaning on that story and gave us a war that I feel is just lacking in epic large scale encounters. Too often in my TR playing I felt like a one man army capable of reducing even the best bane held bases to rubble in a few minutes. The action and combat are fast but they game loses a lot when the battle are small and generally easy.

Maybe it is just me, but I want a war game to actually require and army to defeat an army. To me the bane do not seem like an army they barely seem like a threat. They were more nuisance on my way to a mission than an opponent I shuld respect and try to defeat. Basicly they are all fodder to me. The story and the creation of the Logos was very impressive, but it seems like so much time was spent with that and the meat of the game neglected so the Parsley could look good.

If there was some large scale battles that winning and losing made a difference in the game TR could really come alive, instead the battles feel force. CP attacks are on timers, you just never feel like the battle has to be won or lost now because the enemy will just keep coming. Same bat time same bat channel.

Maybe I was hoping for PVE Planetside. Epic fights where there was real tactics and strategy could play a role. TR just always feels like the same fight over and over on new landscapes.

Maybe I was hoping for PVE Planetside. Epic fights where there was real tactics and strategy could play a role. TR just always feels like the same fight over and over on new landscapes.

Exactly, I was hoping for the same thing, and large scale battles would have been so great, but then again maybe the game is balanced to offer such action if the server were loaded with people.

Maybe it's one of those games that was capitalizing on players volumes.Vanguard is one example I can think of, aside the horrendous bugs at launch, this game was set to receive massive amount of players, everything is so large and apart, waypoints didn't exist at first...But turned out the server are hosting way less people than expected so the game was transformed overtime and empty player made village are now just empty map parts with houses...

I think this is just another example of paper VS reality.

Exactly, I was hoping for the same thing, and large scale battles would have been so great, but then again maybe the game is balanced to offer such action if the server were loaded with people.
    Maybe it's one of those games that was capitalizing on players volumes.Vanguard is one example I can think of, aside the horrendous bugs at launch, this game was set to receive massive amount of players, everything is so large and apart, waypoints didn't exist at first...But turned out the server are hosting way less people than expected so the game was transformed overtime and empty player made village are now just empty map parts with houses...
    I think this is just another example of paper VS reality.

TR instances scale with the number in your party. It would be cool if CPs had scaled or the whole game scaled depending on how many but I have never heard of that from the TR devs on instances do that.