Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No free test week or two?

XruxXrux Member UncommonPosts: 134

Missed this completely..

no open beta or trial fase?

Have no fear, Xru is here.

Comments

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    MMORPG.com has yet to review this game, what does that tell you?

• GonodilGonodil Member Posts: 335

Think Everquest...in 1998, in pre-alpha.

Add in some PvP, and you have roma victor.

• SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by Gonodil

Obviously this guy has not played the game....did eq have twitch based combat? Did it have a player driven economy (all items crafted from players) historically accurate? eq is a fantasy game for one thing..idk what this tard is taking about
  • Zakke87Zakke87 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Xrux

Missed this completely..
    KFR has mentioned they're working on a free trial server, so keep your eyes open. :) Might take a while though, I have no idea when it comes.
  • SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194
    i personally think a trail server is a bad idea, this is a deep and complex game, it takes awhile to estalish yourself and become a decent crafter/fighter..
  • johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    also, do they really have need for a free trial? sure i haven't played it cuz i'm not so sure about it due to all sorts of reviews and comments but...i do know that it is in fact generally a one-time payment to play...(20 pounds...around $30 if i'm not mistaken)...guild wars is like roma victor as far as payment goes and it doesn't have a free trial...that's my two-sense (i actually hate guild wars though, due to instancing and the only PvP being in arenas where you never know who you'll fight with or against...i've yet to see 1v1 PvP in guild wars...i have been looking into rv, though and want to get it when i stop being cheap...)
  • papacapjackpapacapjack Member Posts: 83
    Trust me if you had a free trial you would never even consider playing it.
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    papacapjack delusively believes he knows what you like, without even knowing you.
  • papacapjackpapacapjack Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by sempiternal

papacapjack delusively believes he knows what you like, without even knowing you.

From someone as delusional as you the phrase pot calling the kettle black comes to mind.

and I know no one without financial commitment towards the game wouldnt consider playing a free trial all the way through or consider purchasing the game after, in its current state you have 5 minute scan to startup the game, up to 5 minutes to login if your in corst and such and your likely to crash within the hour, if the that was the games only problem it might pass a few sales but its list of problems goes on such a long list,  I couldnt even type them all out in under a hour and while you may not have a life and could type out a few falseified pages on these forums to try and convince people to join (the ones that do join are very often asking for a refund through the week) I have no such time im a busy person.

Well, even though you don't know me either, I would.  There's no other computer game I know of that I would be as interested in playing for any significant length of time.  And, I realize this fully understanding the issues the game has.

Now you know of at least one for a fact.

How many players do you know?  How many have you even truthfully asked? How many buy an account and don't ask for a refund?  We know it was reported at least 5,000 months ago.

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

Papacapjack admits in another thread that he was banned from Roma Victor.  So, he's somebody who spent considerable time playing it, or at least enough to have exploited in a severe way, then comes on here to tell everybody it's no good and they should not buy it.  Until he was banned, it interested him enough apparently to play.  After being banned, might he have SOME bias against the game now ya think?

This is comical. 

• shane910shane910 Member Posts: 359

I dunno, I tend to agree with Pappacapjack.    Yall know, I have said it many times, this game has potential.   But a free trial for this game would be like nailing the coffin.

Yeah it's different and yeah it can be fun if you don't have a RL job.  You need to really enjoy working for others...constantly. 

I would suggest they make the game more stable and add more content for players to do (especially new players), and even then I wouldn't recommend they do a free trial.

Adding more NPC's was the first step now they need to make it fun.

A free trial would be for players that want to make sure the game will fit in their lives before they toss their money out there.  If they need to try a game to see if it will work for them, then more often than not they don't have the time that a game like RV would require.(or that it requires atm)

And those that do, if they add a trial now, would be able to avoid paying and RB would cease to make any money.  They would try it see it's crap(atm) and log out never to return.  And since most players dont buy ses(they say they make it in game) RB would really be up shit's creek.

(edited/added) for those that don't understand...  right now RV has a pool of players that obviously can't get a refund, mabe one day they will fix this game and poof insta community.  But if no more people get suckered (lol) into buying this game, because they got a free trial, that pool wont grow anymore.  From then on it's all down hill...  the majority of their community is made up of players that are waiting for the game to get better because they already bought the damn thing.  That number is slowly dwindleing off, if they make it free trial that number will only wither away even faster since their are no new numbers being added to the already bought and waiting list.

And I see you are still useing my quote Kemarik, lol. Does it still hold true?  

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670
    Originally posted by Kemarik

Papacapjack admits in another thread that he was banned from Roma Victor.  So, he's somebody who spent considerable time playing it, or at least enough to have exploited in a severe way, then comes on here to tell everybody it's no good and they should not buy it.  Until he was banned, it interested him enough apparently to play.  After being banned, might he have SOME bias against the game now ya think?
    This is comical. 
    Papajack is ExZ or Philjwill...  I forgot which one.  Not that it matter much because they basically share the pile of crap they call brain.  But you can pretty much guess how much their opinion is worth.

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

Well, even though you don't know me either, I would.  There's no other computer game I know of that I would be as interested in playing for any significant length of time.  And, I realize this fully understanding the issues the game has.
    Now you know of at least one for a fact.
    How many players do you know?  How many have you even truthfully asked? How many buy an account and don't ask for a refund?  We know it was reported at least 5,000 months ago.

Players dont ask for refunds, because they either dont want to put up with the hassle to get it back, (and it is a hassle), or hold out hopes for a decent game in the future. Like the game they advertise, but fall far far far short on realizing. 

LOL...5,000 accounts.....the game cant hold more that 50 people without choking and crashing. Most of those accounts are from people who like augir, want to have alts to do everything possible in game...so you think your one little toon will be able to actually make a living as a crafter  LOLOLOLOL

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Wasn't 5k the number of accounts sold?

With the mass exodus,terrible reviews and most of who are left owning more then 1 account I would honestly be suprised if there is even 500 total real players left.

If I was to throw in a guess I would go with 150-200 myself

• RrevanRrevan Member Posts: 49

What you have to realize is that this is not a game, it's a simulation. Which as such isn't bad and if done well can be fun once you're past the initial phase of learning the gameplay mechanics. There are indeed many excellent simulations, mainly flight sims and such. Roma Victor is trying to simulate not planes or tanks but rather life as such during the later era of the Roman Empire.

It's shortcomings are twofold though:

For one the game is too realistic to be fun in many aspects. Waiting hours to bake some bread just isn't fun. What the devs didn't realize imo is that realistic simulations only really work for a very few things. Chasing a Soviet Shturmovik and then pressing the trigger just in the right moment is fun for many. Staring on a progress bar for 2 hours is not. People playing games want to relax first and foremost, they don't want to continue working when they turn on their computers. While i'm a fan of realistic games myself (really enjoyed WWIIOL for instance) i find this game to be way too tedious.

Addtionally the game is extremely badly coded. This is what puts the nail in the coffin. It's understandable since there's like 3 or 4 people total working on this one, which just is nowhere near enough for such an ambitious undertaking as creating an MMOG. If they'd had enough coders this game would at least run smoothly.

So if you're a hardcore gamer and a history buff you may find this one enjoyable. Even then you'll propably be disappointed.

Although the comments about Roma Victor being a simulation instead of a "game" and that there are some game stability problems (crashes) are correct, the previous poster has used incorrect information in an example to make his case that it isn't "fun". Once again, I'm compelled to correct this misinformation.

In Roma Victor, ones does not spend "hours" watching bread bake in an oven. First of all, it takes 20 minutes to cook a loaf of bread. Also, anybody in game who puts one piece of dough into one oven and then stands there and watches it for 20 minutes is going to go insane.

Here's a list of typical activities for on evening's worth of play for the prolific baker who is in my guild:

- Meets with the guild tool makers or visits the guild tool shed to get his knives, mortars, peels, and whatever else he needs. He may stop by a grindstone and repair his knives

- Coordinates with the guild farmer to insure a good supply of grain is available and they may load up a cart or two of grain after a harvest

- Visits the saltwater merchant to buy some amphoras of valuable saltwater to use in dough preparation

- Spends time inside his house and out in the storage sites going through the multiple steps and procedures for turning a large amount of grain into dough ready for baking. (this part remains a mystery to me as I never do that kind of work)

- Loads up on firewood from piles he built the previous weekend, grabs a peel or two (large shovel looking tool) and then proceeds to run around town loading up his own ovens as well as about 10 other public ovens with dough to bake

- Stops for a minute or two to help out a new player (slave) who just spawned in

- Runs all over town filling up the ovens again multiple times with dough and firewood

- Restocks the room in his large house we have dubbed 'the pantry" where he keeps bread, fish, and fruit for use by other guild members.

- Runs into a contingent of legionaries arming up to go on a raid far away and offers them bread, useful in buffing stamina, for little or no cost (part of his duty as a good roman)

- Goes to the Forum in the center of town and restocks the merchant he hired to sell his bread 24/7

- Perhaps at some point has to grab his helmet, long shield, and trident from the guild Armory to join the town militia when some barbarian raiders are spotted on the edge of town. Perhaps a battle or two occurs.

- Sits back feeling the satisfaction of having made some money, having fed all his guildmates for the day, having helped out the legionaries on manuevers, and having helped in defending his town - a place, that unlike any other game I've ever played, actually becomes your virtual "home" and one that you care about.

The game is not horrible but I love the way you paint such a pretty picture of it lol.

Your friend must not have much to do IRL...  So 20 mins to cook one loaf of bread huh?   So thats 20 mins first one loaded... then off to the next and load it then he can add another 2-5 mins (however long it took him to get there. Then I would say a minute more for each additional , and thats giving him the benefit of useing ovens that are all next to eachother, so atleast 10 more by your description of running all over town...puts him at a minimum of 45 min to just to cook the bread(but it probably is more like an hour). 

Main quirk is you spend 20 mins to bake a loaf of bread that (chomp) is gone in one bite.... lame mabe if you could slice it so it would last a bit it would be worth while.

He certainly wouldn't want to buy his own tools since they are extremely overpriced, would have to accept handouts from the guild if he wanted to make money or he would be spending all his profit on tools.

Obviously spent a half hour some time the previous weekend to make a pile of firewood... (x however many piles) exciting. Made a few myself...since thats about the most common task for new players.  Guess you better start loving that early on in game huh?

But you did say that your friend ran back and reloaded those ovens, so that would mean he did it more than once for all of them so that would mean he put in a good 2-2.5 hours just baking bread...fake pixelated computer generated bread for a game... 

Probably did not even get a chance for combat, since you said possibly join a fight with barbs near town, he probably just ran arround looking for them only to find they were dead or had left already. And even if he found them the battle would be over in less than 2 mins then it is back to baking...

All that running arround looking for the fight tho would have cost him a good half hour.

So all that running arround and all that baking totals a minimum of 3 hours in game in one play session, and you did not really have much fun at all... if any.  And very little to show for it ecxept a few loaves of bread that will be gone in one bite yippe!

They need to start moving away from the simulation of life into more of a Roman game.  Balance it as such so that players can have fun in a 1 hour 2 hour or 3 hour play session, and for that ammount of time in game (and thats alot for a person with a life) they should be able to actualy see a huge ammout of progress(in skill) and lots of bread for all that hard work...that will last for more than one bite.

Lastly, the game does not look all that pretty.  And that is all fine and dandy dosen't bother me a bit except for the fact that insted of having a ugly fast paced fun game ...the have a ugly slow and boreing simulation and thats just not gonna be acceptable by many folks at all.

They got some work to do.  

Originally posted by shane910

The game is not horrible but I love the way you paint such a pretty picture of it lol.

Your friend must not have much to do IRL...  So 20 mins to cook one loaf of bread huh?   So thats 20 mins first one loaded... then off to the next and load it then he can add another 2-5 mins (however long it took him to get there. Then I would say a minute more for each additional , and thats giving him the benefit of useing ovens that are all next to eachother, so atleast 10 more by your description of running all over town...puts him at a minimum of 45 min to just to cook the bread(but it probably is more like an hour). 
      Main quirk is you spend 20 mins to bake a loaf of bread that (chomp) is gone in one bite.... lame mabe if you could slice it so it would last a bit it would be worth while.

He certainly wouldn't want to buy his own tools since they are extremely overpriced, would have to accept handouts from the guild if he wanted to make money or he would be spending all his profit on tools.

Obviously spent a half hour some time the previous weekend to make a pile of firewood... (x however many piles) exciting. Made a few myself...since thats about the most common task for new players.  Guess you better start loving that early on in game huh?

But you did say that your friend ran back and reloaded those ovens, so that would mean he did it more than once for all of them so that would mean he put in a good 2-2.5 hours just baking bread...fake pixelated computer generated bread for a game... 
     Probably did not even get a chance for combat, since you said possibly join a fight with barbs near town, he probably just ran arround looking for them only to find they were dead or had left already. And even if he found them the battle would be over in less than 2 mins then it is back to baking...
       All that running arround looking for the fight tho would have cost him a good half hour.

So all that running arround and all that baking totals a minimum of 3 hours in game in one play session, and you did not really have much fun at all... if any.  And very little to show for it ecxept a few loaves of bread that will be gone in one bite yippe!

They need to start moving away from the simulation of life into more of a Roman game.  Balance it as such so that players can have fun in a 1 hour 2 hour or 3 hour play session, and for that ammount of time in game (and thats alot for a person with a life) they should be able to actualy see a huge ammout of progress(in skill) and lots of bread for all that hard work...that will last for more than one bite.

Lastly, the game does not look all that pretty.  And that is all fine and dandy dosen't bother me a bit except for the fact that insted of having a ugly fast paced fun game ...the have a ugly slow and boreing simulation and thats just not gonna be acceptable by many folks at all.

They got some work to do.  
    I didn't "paint a pretty picture of it".  I stated fact.  Take it as it is.

If all public ovens are not being used by others and the farmer has enough grain available, the baker can bake 45 loaves in one hour.  He can bake 15 loaves simultaneously in 15 ovens.

Eating a couple loaves of bread gives you a stamina buff indefinately until you are injured, which takes away buffs.  Bread is very valuable as a result and highly prized.

Tools are not overpriced.  Player hired merchants in the main roman town are selling them for one third (or less) the price of the game provided merchants.  There are also enough competent backsmiths around now that prices for everything have generally dropped over time.  Very often, I and other blacksmiths give free tools to new players.

You have now stated for about the 27th time in these forums that you think this game is too hard, things take too long to make, and the graphics aren't very good.  If you actually played the game and bothered to get involved with it and the community, maybe you would have new things to say.

Well darn it I can state facts too lol, 27 times or not. Here is 28, the game is ugly and time consuming.  (even tho the graphics don't bother me... as I stated each time I said it was ugly.  Could have lived with it had the rest of the game been good... but we all know it's not a game, it's a simulation, and a ugly one at that.

And I don't remember ever saying the game is too hard...  Their is a difference between hard and boreing/time consuming.

I will give the title of hard to one thing tho... thats finding other people to train skills with, especially on the barb side.

I have logged in a few times to try to give it a go again and see how the improvements are coming allong and it was a barren waste with piles of shit all over the place.  Think I saw one whole person in a good 45 mins(barb side).   I have a char for rome and barbs just so I could get in some action whenever I felt... but it was just about as dead on the roman side as well.

One thing I should mention is it did look a tad brighter... may have just been imagining things tho(or I may have caught the tail end of daylight).  Got sick of the endless nights that us folks in the US have to put up with. 

And get over yourself would ya?  I don't want the game to fail or shut down I want it to be fun and worth while.  If you or the other handfull of players and devs would just listen to all of us and make the nessairy changes you might have just that .  A fun game.  But instead you feel the need to defend this POS in it's current state... yeah that will invoke change....

This is comical

Indeed it is.

Let's see what papacapjack wrote about Roma Victor after a year of playing and before he was banned:

Wats your favorate MMORPG and why? 

Originally posted by papacapjack

1. Pre-CU SWG, it was still good after the CU for me but the moment I predicted it dead was right before the NGE when player jedi bountys got removed
    2. Roma-victor, played a year or so in beta, im in the 2 week pre-order at the moment, its really fun though alot goes wrong or dosent work often it gives me a great sandbox experience I couldnt ask more from a game, so far ive killed over thirty roman players, took their loot and havent died once at the hands of a player all through my great skill (mostly sneak from behind attacks lol).
    3.Linage 2, while not the best it deserves a mention, good PVP, good PVE and you seidge citys, can it get much better for a orcs and elves game? I think not.
  • genericname1genericname1 Member Posts: 45

This is comical

Indeed it is.

Let's see what papacapjack wrote about Roma Victor after a year of playing and before he was banned:

Wats your favorate MMORPG and why? 

Originally posted by papacapjack

1. Pre-CU SWG, it was still good after the CU for me but the moment I predicted it dead was right before the NGE when player jedi bountys got removed
    2. Roma-victor, played a year or so in beta, im in the 2 week pre-order at the moment, its really fun though alot goes wrong or dosent work often it gives me a great sandbox experience I couldnt ask more from a game, so far ive killed over thirty roman players, took their loot and havent died once at the hands of a player all through my great skill (mostly sneak from behind attacks lol).
    3.Linage 2, while not the best it deserves a mention, good PVP, good PVE and you seidge citys, can it get much better for a orcs and elves game? I think not.

after more than a year playing RV I can safely say that the community went doznhill after release and dev support went down the drain, that is the main reason it now sucks, the game does however suck technically in every meaning of the word, coding, graphics, gameplay, yet I sytill ccherish it and play it, as said many a time before, the community is what makes this game great, I've made great friends in the community, three of wich I now work with as well. in gamma, now, the community does nothing but fight about what sucks about the game, in gamma, they accepted it for what it was, THAT is what is wrong with RV, people expect it to be a WoW killer for some reason, whereas that is an impossibility, give it time, they say. it's got potential, thewy say... I say forget that bullcrap, and play the game, play as a community, make great friends, and dont't give up on the devs, they really are doing their best, give them a break...

papacapjack and I, among others, invcluding over half of the barbarian side(to various degrees) were punished for exploiting a bugged gameplay mechanic, I regret that, they regret that, everybody regrets it happened. you can blame it on us, you can blame it on the game, both zould be partially correct at least,the fact is that we regret it and do not wish for other people to do it either, but we also wish, like all the other plqyers that RB could get their act together and create an awe inspiring game with great graphics, it's only human, dont't judge him for that. you cannot blame a person for being human, if you do, what does that make you?

you have to admit the graphics arent all that good, mainly because of the bad usage of textures on what would ordinarily be good models, also the lack of normal mapping and bumpmaps let the game down.

• GonodilGonodil Member Posts: 335

Originally posted by SWGforreva

Originally posted by Gonodil

Obviously this guy has not played the game....did eq have twitch based combat? Did it have a player driven economy (all items crafted from players) historically accurate? eq is a fantasy game for one thing..idk what this tard is taking about

Actualy I was in closed beta.

They had good ideas, just horribly underfunded.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953
    Originally posted by Zakke87

Originally posted by Xrux

Missed this completely..
    KFR has mentioned they're working on a free trial server, so keep your eyes open. :) Might take a while though, I have no idea when it comes.

A separate server?  Who will help the noobs?

I no longer buy games without a free trial.  And i'm a perfect prospective customer, my favorite game is wwiionline and I crafted in pre CU SWG. 

no free trial, no try out, no buy.

A separate trial server for Roma Victor is bad idea.  The best way to offer trials for this game would be to issue trial accounts on the game server that would be limited in time, limited to starting towns, limited to one per verified billing info, and could be converted to full accounts after the trial expires.

Anything else would do the game more harm than good.