Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Straight to the point: Potential WoW killer here?

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I wouldn't say it's going to be a WoW Killer but it definately will drag the hard core pvp'ers from WoW. The battles in War are epic I can tell you that.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by vernd

Originally posted by tr289

Originally posted by sgel

the only game that will kill WoW is WoW itself ...
    now i do expect WAR to take a large chunk of WoW's PvPers + a few PvEr's. im guessing WoW will have to merge servers in about 6 months when they figure out how many will not be coming back.

what the hell are you smoking ?

if WAR pulls 1 million people from WoW , Blizzaed will have to merge servers . now what in my post is so wrong ?

I would say the odds of that happening are extremely unlikely. Server merge is the kiss of death for an MMO. If a drop in players hits a specific set of servers particularly hard, all Blizzard would have to do is open up free transfers. I don't think we'll ever see forced merges in that game, as it will simply be unnecessary when they can just let players redistribute themselves on their own without giving their game a black eye in the process.

war will pull over 2 million people to the game thats certain. The warhammer IP has a huge following and over 800.000 people have signed up for beta..it will be a success no matter how much wow fans hate to admit it..wow has a challenge now and its up to blizzard to fight back or else war will destroy it. Nothing lasts for ever and this is the first step in the de-throning of wow.

• sabutai22sabutai22 Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by Malvolentia

It'd be silly to try and ignore the fact these two franchises are going to be competing for the same customers.  So let's not.
    I fell for the hype on AoC.  Ya I got owned.  AoC was pretty boring.
    I don't expect Warhammer to come out perfect and without bugs.  I know it's going to be rocky at the start.  Every MMO is. 
    My question is to the long time DAOC and Mythic players and those who have been beta testing. 
    Does this game have potential to beat WoW in an overall better gaming experience? 

OMG i just cant stop laughing, WAR will not beat WoW. It wont even come close! WAR will not live past 12 months before they start server mergers!

Its been proven already, the vast majority of players DO NOT want another WoW clone! The vast majority of players are all tired of the same level based grind fest WoW can be and so are the clone minions that continue to "TRY" and take WoW customer base.

So be hopefull as you will, but WAR will end up just like AoC over time without a doubt!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Tayah

I wouldn't say it's going to be a WoW Killer but it definately will drag the hard core pvp'ers from WoW. The battles in War are epic I can tell you that.

IT'S MY WoW KILLER, nuff said.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• tr289tr289 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by ronan32

now i do expect WAR to take a large chunk of WoW's PvPers + a few PvEr's. im guessing WoW will have to merge servers in about 6 months when they figure out how many will not be coming back.

if WAR pulls 1 million people from WoW , Blizzaed will have to merge servers . now what in my post is so wrong ?

I would say the odds of that happening are extremely unlikely. Server merge is the kiss of death for an MMO. If a drop in players hits a specific set of servers particularly hard, all Blizzard would have to do is open up free transfers. I don't think we'll ever see forced merges in that game, as it will simply be unnecessary when they can just let players redistribute themselves on their own without giving their game a black eye in the process.

war will pull over 2 million people to the game thats certain. The warhammer IP has a huge following and over 800.000 people have signed up for beta..it will be a success no matter how much wow fans hate to admit it..wow has a challenge now and its up to blizzard to fight back or else war will destroy it. Nothing lasts for ever and this is the first step in the de-throning of wow.

who knows , WAR could pull even more people then that from WoW . on the other hand , WAR might not appeal to the masses and never break 1 million account's.

i think WAR is a damn good game . i also though WoW was the worst MMO i have ever played and would be a niche game at best ! shows how much i know huh ?  lol

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

WAR will steal some of the pvp crowd from WoW I believe. The pve'ers will stay. If the pvp in WAR is anything like the pvp was in DaoC that is. Nothing will kill WoW unless Blizzard decide to shut the thing down in a freak accident of insanity.

Anyway, I just hope we can avoid those ganknuts killing lowbies all the time in WAR. That is the sole reason alot of people don't like pvp I think. Funny though, they go around ganking lowbies all the time, then go to the official forum calling them carebear and whining that they don't have enough people to pvp against. Every game have them though, sadly enough. If Mythic don't do anything about that problem then I think WAR will just be another niche mmo, as it will scare away the pve-crowd. They form the economic backbone of all the mmo's out there so they are important to have.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by sabutai22

It'd be silly to try and ignore the fact these two franchises are going to be competing for the same customers.  So let's not.
    I don't expect Warhammer to come out perfect and without bugs.  I know it's going to be rocky at the start.  Every MMO is. 
    My question is to the long time DAOC and Mythic players and those who have been beta testing. 
    Does this game have potential to beat WoW in an overall better gaming experience? 

OMG i just cant stop laughing, WAR will not beat WoW. It wont even come close! WAR will not live past 12 months before they start server mergers!

Its been proven already, the vast majority of players DO NOT want another WoW clone! The vast majority of players are all tired of the same level based grind fest WoW can be and so are the clone minions that continue to "TRY" and take WoW customer base.

So be hopefull as you will, but WAR will end up just like AoC over time without a doubt!

it wont end up like age of conan because i have played both..war is in another league compared to age of conan..by the time war releases it will be more polished than wow was at release.(it already is)

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by sabutai22
    Originally posted by Malvolentia It'd be silly to try and ignore the fact these two franchises are going to be competing for the same customers.  So let's not.

lol...WAR may not be the "WoW killer" but it will never end up just like AoC and the reason why is because of its history, and its huge fanbase that has been around even before Warcraft was merely a thought.

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by ronan32

Lay off the melodramatic language and you might be more convincing. No other domestic MMO has pulled those kind of numbers aside from WoW, and frankly I have no reason to believe WAR will be an exception to that rule. WoW is more than just a game, it became a social phenomenon. WAR will somehow have to tap into that for your predictions to actually become true.

I think it will be a good game and will be successful, but I'm not counting on the stars aligning for it.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by qotsa

Blizzard could sell their fans turds straight out of the toilet and they'd eat it up for years. Many of these people aren't going anywhere.

I know you're just an angry Little boy for saying that, but is that kind of language really necessary? Just think for a second and you will see how devoid of thought that comment is. The only reason you could have come to that conclusion is precisely because Blizzard never tryed to sell "turd" to their fans, that's why they are such loyal fans.

And the more loyal a fan is, bigger is his rage when he gets disappointed by his idol, you can see that in many WoW bashing threads, many of the most vocal bashers are actually people who played WoW so obsessively that only way to stomach it is to turn to hate. (my apologies to exceptions to this rule)

As for

That's actually the only thing I'm trying to find out when reading the WAR forum, but can't get any decent info besides I'm telling you so. All this talk about PVP with meaning, but it doesn't amount to anything if the very act of PVPing is not much fun. I don't PVP in WoW for some "greater" good, I do it because I enjoy the gameplay of it, the pace, the options, the speed, the animations, the nitty and gritty. I like PVP, I don't need a grind of higher order to justify me PVPing.

So yeah, I to want to find out if WAR will be a better gaming experience. I loved Grim Fandango and Psychonauts to death, I don't care about numbers.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

There is no X Killer, or Y Killer.  EQ is still around.  WoW will be around for many years.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Yaaawwwwnnnn......yet another one of these threads. How many more will there be? Lots and lots no doubt. It might be a good idea if the WAR forum had a seperate section called WOW vs WAR where all these tired old topics get dumped.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by ProfRed

There is no X Killer, or Y Killer.  EQ is still around.  WoW will be around for many years.

I agree with this statement. As the MMORPGs become numerous you will never see the hold that WoW had again I don't believe. The more games you have the more split the population will be. So WoW will not be killed but it will be slowly drained of it's players like any older MMORPG. EQ once was the kind on the hill untill it's numbers dwindled.

This mainly comes from expansion after expansion of garbage. The MMORPG developers seem to always destroy their own game  by trying to copy ever new one out. I think EQ killed theirs with Luclin and WoW killed there's sooner with Burning Crusade and some would argue before then with the honor system and battlegrounds. You should never go to far away from the original design that made your game a success. Maybe one day MMORPG devs will learn this.

So people get tired of playing a hacked up version of the game they once loved and reluctantly let go of that virtual character to try a new one. That is how it is.

• GrizzlytexasGrizzlytexas Member Posts: 24

I will try WAR and hope it does well. But, it will be hard for any mmo to beat WoW right now.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I don't think this community realizes how good WoW really is.

It took me 3+ years to quit WoW due to burn out from playing 40+ hours a week.

Thats a lot of content, polish and since it held me that long you know  It's good.

The only thing that will kill WoW is time. over time sub numbers will diminish due to the game being old.

No four years is not a old mmo.

Will Warhammer kill Wow? nope

Will Warhammer have a large enough player base to keep the game afloat and new content rolling in? yes

WAR will have a good start and over time has the potential to see WoW's NA and euro numbers.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Like I said earlier...

The only game that will beat WoW, is Blizzards next MMORPG and yes, they are working on it.

The next company i predict that might follow in the footsteps of Blizzard when they first attempted their try at an mmorpg (WoW) would be Bioware. They have the rights to make a star wars mmorpg, its their first attempt, and with their Blizzard like quality of products and work ethic and franchises they work with, its entirely possible they will follow in Bliz's footsteps.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

every time someone posts "Will this game be a WoW killer?" a kitten hangs itself. Seriously....does it matter? Who cares if a game will ever "kill" wow. It will have no bearing on whichever game you are playing.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

AOC is a bad compararison, as the lore and idea is completely different. WAR has alot of similarities to WOW, like orcs, dwarves and stuff. Lets just say a can guarantee that a lot of WOW players will come to WAR and stay. Will it be a WOW killer, maybe in four years if Blizzard hasn't realeased another MMO by that time. So yes, it can be a WOW killer with time. I know my son and i plan to give WOW a rest and play WAR. WOW is a great game BTW.

• GuileGuile Member Posts: 37

It doesn't have to kill WOW to be any good, although it most definitly will offer some nice competition for it.

WOW needs some competition to stop the developers shoveling out crap to their playerbase, hopefully, WAR will give them a nice kick up the arse. Only the gamers will really be glad.

Just look at PS3/Xbox/Wii, if they didn't have each other, on their own they would suck.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

That's like asking will Metallica be a Britney Spears killer.

It's two different groups of people.  Lets the 12 year old girls keep their WoW.

• XtortXtort Member Posts: 392

War >>>>> WoW

Enough said. War has a true RvR, meaningful classes, competition among ALL levels, yes all levels from 1 to 40.

WoW has raiding gear which becomes obselete in the next patch.

-----------------------------
    Osbourne Cox: You are the guy from the gym.

Ted Treffon: I don't represent Hardbodies.

Osbourne Cox: I know very well what you represent. You represent the idiocy of today.

Ted Treffon: No, I don't represent that either.

Osbourne Cox: You are part of a league of morons. Oh, yes. You see you're one of the morons I've been fighting my whole life. But guess what. Today, I win.

• MorninglordMorninglord Member UncommonPosts: 15

There are NO WoW killers on the horizon in my opinion. However, I think (opinion) for WoW to fail, it would be the fault of Blizzard itself along with other things, not just a new game itself. Wait for the NDA to lift tomorrow morning, then decide for yourself if it is a game you want to try. I'm sure the beta testers will have plenty to say.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

I have a WoW killer in my pants.

Sorry, just wanted to use the word pants in a thread.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

In subscritions? Probably not..I don't know if WAR appeals to the Asian market that much. I do think however gameplay wise it's going to be much better, as well as the RvR. If you want PvE then play WoW and if you want RvR and PvP you play WAR. It's really that simple and they cater to two different audiences for the most part, although from what I've seen WAR's PvE isn't lacking.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

I was prepared to answer no until I read, "...in an overall better gaming experience?"

If it was left, "Does this game have potential to beat WoW..." I was prepared to write, "No." But, for the actual question, the answer is, "We don't know yet." Obviously, the game hasn't been released yet. Secondly, that's really more of a personal opinion on if you believe either WoW or WAR is a better gaming experience. It's personal taste... one or the other isn't going to outright steal all of it's customers because customers all have different mindsets.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...