Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer difficultly level / risk vs reward

How tough is this game going to be? 

Is it going to be another snoozefest autopilot game?  Where you automatically get quest items, then follow the map arrow to the quest giver to recieve some blah blah etc..  Or is there going to be challenging group quests? 

Anything in the PvE slightly challenging?  Or is the only challenge to be had in this game PvP.

I enjoy PvP alot, but I don't know if I would enjoy it that much if there was not a solid PVE game as well.

Comments

• mrwastedmrwasted Member Posts: 31

From all i have heard so far, it seems as though soloing through the game will be fairly simple and straight forward. Now if you choose to do PQ's and  PVE instances, it gets harder. I really feel as though the Dev's are trying to take the pain out of the solo pve experience and make it more "fun" as many threads have mentioned, and the challenge comes from the grouped pve content, and of course PVP is going to be a challenge! The tome of knowledge has really expanded pve content too, with exploration rewards and kill counts and what-not so hopefully 1-40 will be enjoyable and not like a climb to the top of mount everest.

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by ghettobooste

Is it going to be another snoozefest autopilot game?  Where you automatically get quest items, then follow the map arrow to the quest giver to recieve some blah blah etc..  Or is there going to be challenging group quests? 
    Anything in the PvE slightly challenging?  Or is the only challenge to be had in this game PvP.
    I enjoy PvP alot, but I don't know if I would enjoy it that much if there was not a solid PVE game as well.

Unfortunately I doubt we will ever see another "hard" PvE game ever again. The whole genre has transformed from a community grouping games into small squad based action games.

To answer your question WAR is likely to be a quest grinding super easy PvE game, lets just hope its still fun.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by mrwasted

From all i have heard so far, it seems as though soloing through the game will be fairly simple and straight forward. Now if you choose to do PQ's and  PVE instances, it gets harder. I really feel as though the Dev's are trying to take the pain out of the solo pve experience and make it more "fun" as many threads have mentioned, and the challenge comes from the grouped pve content, and of course PVP is going to be a challenge! The tome of knowledge has really expanded pve content too, with exploration rewards and kill counts and what-not so hopefully 1-40 will be enjoyable and not like a climb to the top of mount everest.

To use your analogy, for me, the experience of climbing Mt Everest over taking a helicopter to the top is much more satisfying.  That also has alot to do with keeping the game interesting for more than a few weeks as well. 

But, as long as there is decent challenging group content, I might play the game.  If this is going to be the type of game where no one even wants to group, except for pvp missions.  I will probably hate it.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

There's plenty of solo content, but the difficulty on the PQs and instances is suppose to be pretty high. The bosses at the end of the PQs should be nasty. This game will shine when you embrace the idea of realm instead of group or solo. PQs are gonna be fun. The real fun, difficulty and excitement will be in the RvR though.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

Originally posted by Sain34

Unfortunately I doubt we will ever see another "hard" PvE game ever again. The whole genre has transformed from a community grouping games into small squad based action games.

To answer your question WAR is likely to be a quest grinding super easy PvE game, lets just hope its still fun.

hmm, that is dissapointing.

You are right about the genre too, how much more dumbed down and easy can they possibly make these games?  They are all just so boring anymore. There is no sense of danger or repurcussions for screwing up.

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

For me the sense of danger doesn't really effect me. For me its just the amount of time, My first DAoC character to almost a year to get to 50 back in 01, my first WoW character took 1 month and a half to get to 60 back in 04.

When my character dinged 50 in DAoC I really felt like I had sometime, I built something, I earned it. Any other game just feels like another level I didnt feel like I had really did anything or had to put anything special into it.

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

Theres all the reward but no risk and if you want PVE then don't bother with WAR because there are much better PVE games out there. What I like about WAR which I wish all mmorpgs did is from level one you can level through PVP alone and don't have to do any of the annoying boring kill quest grinds like most mmorpgs out there.

• abigsmurfabigsmurf Member Posts: 41

It can be problematic making accessible MMOs difficult. UO is unflinching in its difficulty, especially pvp with full looting but because of it never hit the mainstream despite having little to no competition for a long time.

FFXI (at least when I was playing) was fairly tough with it being impossible to solo and deaths carrying a harsh XP penalty. It's famous for it's incredibly difficult end-game bosses too.

Eve is incredibly unforgiving to newbies which harms it a bit (I couldn't be bothered to make it past the snoozefest tutorial).

Players ultimately want a game that's satisfying, most players get annoyed with harsh "YOU DIE IN THE GAME, YOU DIE FOR REAL!!!!" penalties, especially since ganking all too often has minor penalties compared to the benefits/fun it causes. If the PvE is too easy for you, the PvP should always offer a challenge and I'd be surprised if they didn't provide incentives for the best PvP'ers other than rewards that can be grinded (ground?).

Here's an anecdotal discription of PQs.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-online/895250p9.html

"Delsyn: I've played the same quest in the Empire village and while it won't take a raid to bring it down, it does take a substantial number of players -- six to eight at the very minimum. Hero level encounters are no joke, nor are public quests as players go up in level. The first few are 3-stagers with fairly easy to grasp mechanics. In later levels, these things turn into five or six-stage quests with a bunch of different conditions to fulfill that require significant coordination to complete. PQs also start incorporating other aspects of the gameplay."

Some PQs have opposing sides in the same area trying to achieve opposite goals to complete their PQ. You can either help your side advance their objective or try and hinder the enemy in completing theirs.

The entire war journal is an interesting read.

Here's an E3 demo of a PQ

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/warhammeronline/video/6193637/warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning-e308-game-demo-public-quest-2010

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

It is just as easy as WoW.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

there is no risk unless you lose your stuff when you die. look into playing eve, i think that game might suit you more.

• abigsmurfabigsmurf Member Posts: 41

but then even Eve has clones and insurance. If you're able to generate plenty of revenue, the risk is minimal

Easy as WOW and you should just look into playing EVE... Very constructive. This place is lousy with trolls.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Dreadlich

Easy as WOW and you should just look into playing EVE... Very constructive. This place is lousy with trolls.

All i did was give the OP my answer to his question.

Edit: also i cant go into details NDA and all.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Punk999

All i did was give the OP my answer to his question.

Edit: also i cant go into details NDA and all.

I have a hard time believing you know the extent of PVE from closed beta. Even if it's just on the opposing PQs, there's no way you're going to get a sense of the difficulty unless you're facing 20-40 opposing players racing to beat you and hindering you the whole way. If this is just about death penalty then that's a different issue than PvE difficulty.

EDIT: and saying "It's just as easy as WOW", regardless of NDA, is just trolling.

• Nans1Nans1 Member Posts: 39

What game do you consider a difficult PVE game?. I find mmos AI to be really bad. For me fighting mobs in mmos is like fighting retards. They are always in the same spot, use the same tactics, predictable,...

WAR is supposed to be a PVP focused game, i understand that is where the challenge is supposed to be.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

The day of the "hardcore" mmorpg is probably over, to be honest.

Various companies that want to break into the mmorpg market are going to have to put on the hard sell to investors. Investors of course want profits and all they really know about mmorpgs is that WoW is hugely successful. Thus, all mmorpgs must follow a wow-esque model.

Anything hardcore that was or is in development all seems like vaporware. Aside from a niche market there just isn't a mass appeal.

MMORPGs are now an alternative to TV more so than a gamer's haven.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

if someone asks for a game with risk and they are pointed to eve, a game where you lose your stuff on death, thats not trolling. thats answering the question.

if you cant lose anything, there is no risk.

Originally posted by Xennith

if someone asks for a game with risk and they are pointed to eve, a game where you lose your stuff on death, thats not trolling. thats answering the question.

if you cant lose anything, there is no risk.

I wasn't really asking for a new game to play, I just wanted to know about warhammer.  At any rate thanks for all the responses. 

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

I cannot say, but I hear what you are getting at.  Lots of games these days have taken the pain out of failing and therefore much of the joy out of winning.

To truly smile when you win, you must also pound your keyboard in frustration when you lose.  Without some pain, there is no true feeling of relief and elation in games, and no respect for the PVE environment.

Unfortunately, we are in the "Candyland" era of MMORPG gaming.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Yep, the days of Evercamping, scouring through cheat websites because the game provides little direction, etc. are over. While rewarding for hardcore gamers, there are not enough hardcore gamers to pay the company.

Have to reach the wow / console crowd. Make it fun for all.