Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa: Operation Immortality

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

NCsoft has announced Operation Immortality, where gamers and fans of space exploration can have the chance to get their DNA digitized and launched into space with Richard Garriott when he visits the International Space Station in October. 

AUSTIN, July 30, 2008—Could you be the savior of humankind? NCsoft®, the world’s leading publisher and developer of online computer games, has announced it will launch the “Immortality Drive” – a time capsule with the digitized DNA of select video game players and space aficionados – into orbit when famed game designer Richard Garriott travels to the International Space Station in October 2008.

As part of NCsoft’s “Operation Immortality,” Richard Garriott – the man who created Tabula Rasa, a massively multiplayer online (MMO) PC game that explores the destruction of Earth – is now venturing into space to save humanity.

During the campaign, Tabula Rasa players have a chance to have their DNA sequenced, digitized and sent into space on the Immortality Drive. In addition, all players with active accounts on September 2, 2008 will have their Tabula Rasa characters uploaded to the device, giving them the opportunity to go to space virtually. In order to make this unique opportunity accessible to as many people as possible, free trials of the game are available at http://www.rgtr.com/trial. Garriott will place the Immortality Drive on the International Space Station when he travels there this fall.

“I’ve been able to do some very exciting things in the games business, but nothing of this magnitude,” said Garriott, executive producer for Tabula Rasa at NCsoft. “I’m thrilled we can offer the once in a lifetime chance to millions of gamers to virtually go to space with me. A select few will have their DNA digitized and sent. And, theoretically, if anything happens to the human race, it could be their DNA that is used to resurrect humanity.”

Starting today and lasting through August 31, 2008, anyone with a PC and an Internet connection can go to http://www.OperationImmortality.com and participate in weekly polls on humanity’s greatest achievements which will be included on the Immortality Drive, such as “What is the greatest song of all time?” and “What is the greatest technological breakthrough of all time?” Current Tabula Rasa players, or those who download and play the free trial, will also be able to enter a personal message for inclusion on the Drive.

Read more here.

Comments

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

I'm confused. Is Richard still lead designer?

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

Shine on you crazy diamond.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by pussaykat

I'm confused. Is Richard still lead designer?

I think he has very little to do with any design, these days. He's too busy spending $30 million to be shot into space soon after allowing several people to get laid off at NCsoft after TR didn't do all that hot. Just sayin'.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• BlockheadBrnBlockheadBrn Member Posts: 40

And here I was hoping for some kind of lifetime subscription or huge content update stuff.  :)

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Hope he stays there and never makes another game ever again.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

jesus, this guy is a total whack job.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

I'd be laughing if billions of years from now when the origins of mankind is lost the only thing the future species of this universe will have is a little jump drive on Tabula Rasa. Who'll get the last laugh then? Lol, and worse what would happen if the aliens thought that Tabula Rasa was actually a history of the human race. I could see a misunderstanding of inter-gallactic proportions happening here.

Cool stuff non-the-less. And what's with all the Garriot bashers? Chill out. TR is fun maybe not what everyone was hoping for but there's still good things in it like every other MMO.

• hadubhadub Member Posts: 25

If we all pitch in we could possibly get the Russians to leave him in orbit.  It's the only way to be sure he won't kill a another game studio.  Please, stop him from killing again.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

wow.......this.........is..........stupid

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Send him on the Challenger and stage a "re-creation".

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

"Is that wise, Avatar?"

-question asked in Ultima VII when you were about to violate one of the 7 Virtues

• JephirJephir Member Posts: 36

The ISS will be retired eventually, just like MIR, so this "Operation Immortality" thing is more like "Operation Put DNA In Space For 10 Years".