Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STUNNING E-mail I got from ccp

jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332

Hey, I recently quit eve-online about 3 months ago. Just today, I recieved this e-mail from CCP:

Greetings from CCP

We are reaching out to players that have recently canceled their subscription to EVE Online. Our policy is to keep your character active in our database for at least six months so that you can come back and play again in the future.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon.

If you have any specific issues or questions regarding the EVE Online experience, you can either answer this mail and a senior member of our customer support service team will review the details of your experience or you can drop us a line at [email protected] and we will do our utmost to be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Anna

EVE Online Customer Support

--------------------

Does this mean that my account is about to be deleted if I don't reactivate it?

What's going on?

Comments

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

nope

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• SelenciaSelencia Member Posts: 180

It just means that they may delete your character. For the longest time they did not do this but my guess is they've had so many trials and normal accounts that have quit and not returned that the information started to takeup too much room on their servers.

• tirallumtirallum Member UncommonPosts: 205

I smell bullshit. Could you give us the email headers, please?

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

How is this stunning? I get the same email from other MMOs I no longer play like LOTRO. Its used quite often everywhere, whether its a magazine or game.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

The mail is a fake - they don't delete characters.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

scare  tack ticks

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332
    Originally posted by tirallum

I smell bullshit. Could you give us the email headers, please?

Yeah:

CCP Customer Care [[email protected]]

------

There's REALLY no reason for someone to send this to me if it really isn't ccp. There's no way of scamming my account or anything with that e-mail.

Anyway, it kinda pisses me off that if I unsubscribe to this game for more than a few months, my character with 3 billion isk on it will be deleted and if I ever wanted to play again i'd have to start over completely.

If the characters on my account get deleted, there's NO WAY i'm ever going to come back and subscribe to this game again.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

There are enough reports of people coming back after years with their characters intact. Doubt they'd ever do it and delete accounts, they would cut off a huge potential subscriber base.

But, according to their Tos, they reserve the right to delete the stuff after 6 months. They probably want to be safe in case they have to do it.

Nonetheless, they have never deleted characters, and probably won't do it in the future.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

So far as I know, every MMO has a 6-month or 1 year no deletion policy.  They have these so they can delete inactive characters if need be. 

I have played many MMO games, more than I care to remember, and have taken very long breaks from several.  I have never had a character deleted from any of them, including EQ and Lineage 2, both of which I was inactive for over 2 years one time.

I have also , about 6 weeks ago, returned from a nearly 1 1/2 year break from EVE.  My characers were intact, exactly as I left them.

So, OP, don't worry about it.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by jakojako
    If the characters on my account get deleted, there's NO WAY i'm ever going to come back and subscribe to this game again.

And CCP knows that most people would react just the same as you.  Which is why they would never delete an account unless it were absolutely necessary.  And if they did start deleting accounts, they would start with the ones that were inactive the longest, not ones that were inactive only recently.

Originally posted by Eschiava

And CCP knows that most people would react just the same as you.  Which is why they would never delete an account unless it were absolutely necessary.  And if they did start deleting accounts, they would start with the ones that were inactive the longest, not ones that were inactive only recently.

then why would i get that email?

doesn't make sense...

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

doesn't make sense...

Here's a crazy idea... why don't you reply to the email like they said and ASK them instead of going EMO on a forum that's totally unrelated to CCP in any way?

That or call them directly and ask.

God forbid you should engage your brain and find out the answers on your own instead of going emo all over the MMORPG.COM forums (which, again, have nothing whatsoever to do with CCP).

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Originally posted by Taram

doesn't make sense...

Here's a crazy idea... why don't you reply to the email like they said and ASK them instead of going EMO on a forum that's totally unrelated to CCP in any way?

God forbid you should engage your brain and find out the answers on your own instead of going emo all over the MMORPG.COM forums (which, again, have nothing whatsoever to do with CCP).

WOW, I was definately not expecting that kind of response.

First of all, my main purpose in making this thread was to see if I was the only person who's gotten it and also to see if anyone here knew what it meant. I mean, this is an eve-online forum so you'd assume some people on here play/played eve-online.

Second, how did I go emo? That really doesn't make any sense.

Third: Customer Service is outrageously slow, so I assummed that it would be quicker to ask the question here. And how do you know if I e-mailed them or not? I may have e-mailed them asking about it but posted in here in the meantime to see other people's points of view on this.

Fourth: How did I go emo?

And finally: There's a lot of other posts i've seen on these forums that are obvious posts from people who don't know how to "engage their brains" on their own. Why don't you spaz out on every post?

Anyway, that was abnoxiously rude and really you did absolutely nothing to add to the discussion in this thread. So I'm asking you to stay the hell away from here.

I don't know what's wrong with you, but if something of this magnitude makes your little head go "pop" with anger, then you have issues. When you grow up, come back into this thread.

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

When I read about a 'Stunning' email, I was expecting at least naked chicks.

I'm not sure if I got an email like that the last time my account expired, but it could well be that I did. It's just a 'reminder' that they can, by their TOS, delete a character/account after six months of inactivity.

However, I don't think they've EVER deleted an inactive account, at least one that wasn't an abandoned trial acc. If you want to be sure, though, send me your stuff. :D

• DistilerDistiler Member Posts: 416

doesn't make sense...

QFT

"stunning"...

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

WOW, I was definately not expecting that kind of response.
    First of all, my main purpose in making this thread was to see if I was the only person who's gotten it and also to see if anyone here knew what it meant. I mean, this is an eve-online forum so you'd assume some people on here play/played eve-online.

But that isn't what you asked nor is it how you worded it. By your own words 'if they delete my characters I will never come back to EVE'...

To be honest, if you paid attention to my reply... I didn't reply to your ORIGINAL post... others already had, quite clearly answering you: CCP has never, to date, deleted inactive accounts other than abandoned trials (and I actually would dispute that since a quick search for the name "Taram" in game shows me that all my old trial characters are still there (yes, every single TARAM that pops up on the char search that's older than 2005 is a trial I did before finally purchasing EVE).

Second, how did I go emo? That really doesn't make any sense.

See above quote which is what YOU said, not us. After we'd already answered you, by the way.

Third: Customer Service is outrageously slow, so I assummed that it would be quicker to ask the question here.

Err... I've used customer support several times... and I've never found it to be particularly slow. In fact they are faster than most other MMO customer support. Also, it's not like you are waiting to log in to play the game after all. By your own words you have cancelled your sub and no longer play... what's the rush?

And how do you know if I e-mailed them or not? I may have e-mailed them asking about it but posted in here in the meantime to see other people's points of view on this.

Because your post in no way indicated that you had attempted any form of communication with CCP... I suspect your first act was to come here and post rather than do any investigation of your own... Hell you didn't even search these forums, which have dozens of threads of exactly this type with exactly the same responses: CCP has *never* deleted accounts... hell I had four trial accounts before finally purchasing the game. Every single character I ever created on those trials still exists in the game... if I re-activated those trials today the characters would still be there. From as far back as 2003.

Fourth: How did I go emo?

"If they delete my characters I will toss my toys out of the pram and go home!" (well not those words exactly). But basically, rather than doing any checking first your initial post states, basically: "I already quit... but if they delete my stuff I REALLY REALLY REALLY quit".

How is that NOT emo? You did no fact checking and your first action is to threaten to 'quit even more!!!!111eleventy1!!!'. Even after we have ALREADY ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION.

And finally: There's a lot of other posts i've seen on these forums that are obvious posts from people who don't know how to "engage their brains" on their own. Why don't you spaz out on every post?
    Anyway, that was abnoxiously rude and really you did absolutely nothing to add to the discussion in this thread. So I'm asking you to stay the hell away from here.
    I don't know what's wrong with you, but if something of this magnitude makes your little head go "pop" with anger, then you have issues. When you grow up, come back into this thread.

Nothing wrong with me. I suggested a course of action. Just because you don't like the way it was worded doesn't make it bad advice. And you DID go 'emo'... Hell you went emo after people had already told you there was nothing to worry about. If you weren't happy with the answer you got here you could have *gasp* contacted CCP and asked them. It's not like it's that hard to reply to the email that they sent you... which they told you to do if you had questions in the first place.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Reactivate your account, send me your billions and I'll hold it for you!

(Well this sub-forum is called Jita afterall! ;))

-iCeh

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if i recall, the ONLY game that actually carried through with the toon deleting after x amt of time was FFXI.

my eve toon was there intact after i left for a year.  he's behind on SP but he's there :D

my ffxi toon was gone after 1.5years tho :

and my EQ1 toon is still there even after not using him for 5 years!  poor guy

Itchmon

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

afaik ccp dont delete chars
    maybe that email is a scam or u made the email yourself

BestSigEver :P

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

The mail says that your char will be stored for least 6 months, but from all I've read elsewhere CCP keep the chars longer. Often for years.

I bet if they CCP start cleaning out old chars, they will start with expired trial chars. Because they must have tons of those, and with a trial char it is least likely that someone will give up on EvE because he lost years of leveling.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

1) Character data barely takes up any place, their mainly just a few lines of text of what you have and what you don't.

2) "Greetings from CCP"? Never receievd e-mails from them, but that doesn't sound right. The e-mail adres says ccp (or at least EVE), you don't have to repeat that.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

doesn't make sense...

yes because EVE online isnt related to CCP

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

I quit  for 2 years and they still had my character.

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

hm all mmorpgs have this delete chars after some inactivity.

I been playing mmorpgs from 1996 and been inactive in 2-3 years in some games and realy the chars are still there.

I think I have accounts in every mmorpg there is and I think its only Neocron that have deleted my char but after a week I got the char back.

So nothing to worrie about :) esp from CCP..

• NeverknowNeverknow Member Posts: 224

Meh, even if they did only keep them for 6 months, Funcom states they'll delete after 3. So at least CCP is a little nicer.