Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CodeMasters ban thousands of accounts

Thought that I would post the joyous news that Code Masters have banned thousands of customer accounts across all their titles over the last few days. Don’t worry too much though as SNAFU is Code Masters secret hobby it seams.

I tried to log into my game today to discover that I have been banned for supplying false account information lol.

Having been a subscriber to DDO for over two years and having always had my real life name, address, DOB, telephone number, in my accounts page I was somewhat surprised by this. Especially as my subscription was renewed two days before they banned me.

This ban possibly affects thousands of CM’s customers across all their online games.

Code Masters have very kindly decided to blame us, their paying customers for this, alleging that it is our fault for putting incorrect details into the accounts page. Well I for one used real details and I cannot be the only person to receive a ban who has done so.

Code masters have belatedly offered make a web form available to their customers starting early next week, so that we can apply to have our accounts un-banned.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258013

Of course considering the huge number of people affected and possible lack of resources deployed to this by CM many people will be waiting a long time to get un-banned. No apology or compensation has been offered.

Well-done Code Masters. Hopefully this post at mmorpg.com will encourage you to make a more sustained and effective effort to sort out this mess.

Comments

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

Good ole Codemasters.. nothin like putting a cherry on that nice big failure sundae.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Zikiel

Good ole Codemasters.. nothin like putting a cherry on that nice big failure sundae.

As a former RFO player.  Zikiel hit the nail on the head.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• hirosuehirosue Member Posts: 10

i must admit that ithough Zikiel's post was rather sweet lol

• greenstumpsgreenstumps Member Posts: 250

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

I kinda feel sorry for the people in UK that has Codemasters as their MMO supplier.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by liddokun

I kinda feel sorry for the people in UK that has Codemasters as their MMO supplier.

This company can't seem to help not shooting themselves in the foot.  Hope you get your account straightened out soon.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• napalmninjanapalmninja Member UncommonPosts: 114

hey this happened to me i thought they just hated me but i guess not same reason to false info but im not gonna fix it ill never play their games again ive learned from my mistakes

• NoUrbanLightNoUrbanLight Member Posts: 70

Oh now I must just deem this officially Full Of Fail (TM). Fraudulent account information? Unless they take the time to verify ever account's details upon sign up, they're never going to win. It's just too easy to fake. Not to mention, lots of people's personal details cost money to access. Last time I tried to do a reverse look up on a phone number to see who the heck was spamming me calls, 5 different websites all re-directed me to the same 1 which demanded $15 for the name that the number was registered too. The people making fake accounts that got banned? Will just make more. The loyal customers they swept up in this? Will be pissed.

~~~~~
    "Big surprise... there was no protection by this urban light..."

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Sometimes you wonder why retarded people are put in charge of things, while intelligent people get to watch from the sidelines just to say "WTF?" every time they mess something up.

D.

• Azure77Azure77 Member Posts: 355

hirosue 

this stems from thier growing problem with massive credit card fraud. Its not clear how much they lost, but in RF Online the GMs made a huge stink about.  Back in Oct they were warned about these problems, did nothing. To appease thier crediters they had to root all "fraud"

Most people who got banned didnt do anything wrong , Codemasters just threw a massive net.

I d talk to someone about getting your money returned to you.

• rishakirishaki Member Posts: 181

Block last payment to codemaster and uninstall.

• hirosuehirosue Member Posts: 10

I received an email from Code masters saying that my ban has now been lifted. No explanation or apology for this was offered.

So I decided to run a poll on CM’s DDO forum and so far 14% of respondents report that they were banned. Now I cannot say that all of them had correct and real details in the accounts page. I know that I most certainly do have and always had my real details. Quite a few of the people in the poll, and elsewhere on CM’s forums have also said that their details were true and correct also.

So if we imagine that CM’s banned say 4000 accounts that is going to be at least 350 genuine customers banned for no reason. Of course it is worth bearing in mind that the majority of players of these online game do not use or even know about game forums. So the true figure for bans against genuine real customers may well be even higher.

In the interests of fairness I will post Code masters response to this issue

Quote from Code masters

"As part of our on-going work to stamp out fake accounts, fraudsters, gold farmers and other unwanted cheaters, we have, and over the last few days banned several thousand accounts."

End quote

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

i was also banned just because I am a Singaporean. 

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Sorry to hear about all the accounts being banned, but i do see one good thing that has come of this.

After seeing how they handle things, I am no longer upset that Dragon Empries was cancled.  Well i guess its better then nothing hehe.

Good luck to all of you, and may CM get a kick in the nuts for over reacting and banning inocent people.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• fusionx212fusionx212 Member UncommonPosts: 137

codemasters in all there glory i most probably got a ban i'll have a look when im home :|

It's all Lies...

• Seeker728Seeker728 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Thats a shame, same thing happened to me 2 years ago when I was into CoH.  I was suddenly and without explanation, banned from both forums and gameplay.  I tried to submit a customer support ticket, but was banned from that access as well.  Finally I called them on the phone, and after a very long wait period of being shuffled between represenatives, a discrepancy was discovered in my account...that was a data mistake from their end.  They apologized, unbanned my account, and I was able to play and post again.  I didn't hold it against them, mistakes happen and the rep at the end was very pleasant and humoreous which is what in fact, kept me as a subscriber.

Then it happened again.  Same ritual.  Got a Rep who wasn't so pleasant, and in the end, turned out to be the same problem from their end.  I let the account die and haven't returned to their product line since.  Even if I had gotten ahold of a good Rep, I probably would've let the account go because it seemed like it was a trend in their product and I have only so much tolerance for unnecessary aggravation.

Even peace may be purchased at too high a price, and the only time you are completely safe is when you lie in the grave.

• ccpCharlccpCharl Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by hirosue

Thought that I would post the joyous news that Code Masters have banned thousands of customer accounts across all their titles over the last few days. Don’t worry too much though as SNAFU is Code Masters secret hobby it seams.
    I tried to log into my game today to discover that I have been banned for supplying false account information lol.
    Having been a subscriber to DDO for over two years and having always had my real life name, address, DOB, telephone number, in my accounts page I was somewhat surprised by this. Especially as my subscription was renewed two days before they banned me.
    This ban possibly affects thousands of CM’s customers across all their online games.
    Code Masters have very kindly decided to blame us, their paying customers for this, alleging that it is our fault for putting incorrect details into the accounts page. Well I for one used real details and I cannot be the only person to receive a ban who has done so.
    Code masters have belatedly offered make a web form available to their customers starting early next week, so that we can apply to have our accounts un-banned.
    http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258013
    Of course considering the huge number of people affected and possible lack of resources deployed to this by CM many people will be waiting a long time to get un-banned. No apology or compensation has been offered.
    Well-done Code Masters. Hopefully this post at mmorpg.com will encourage you to make a more sustained and effective effort to sort out this mess.

How long is the ban period?

-_-

• LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by liddokun

You mean Europe, right? It's unfortunately not only the UK that has to suffer under them. Codemaster is supplier of DDO and LOTRO in whole of Europe.

I have almost seen and experienced more bad stuff with Codemaster than 'those that should not be named in a forum'.

So I stay away from Codemaster games, it's not worth it.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

They did the same thing last year.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by hirosue

Isnt DDO turbine?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

who ever puts their real info in their account page anyways?

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Originally posted by PapaLazarou

who ever puts their real info in their account page anyways?

Billing purposes?

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

It's surprising they ban people over such things as account detail information. They have your credit card number, you're paying the money, the account details are ON the credit card info...Why do they care about personal account details again?

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by Gameloading

It's surprising they ban people over such things as account detail information. They have your credit card number, you're paying the money, the account details are ON the credit card info...Why do they care about personal account details again?

No sane thief would be using a stolen credit card to pay a fee for a game. So why indeed? Anyone got any clues?