Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Reverse Switch

TussTuss Member Posts: 103

As we all know, most people say that Jagex ruined the game with their "downdates", like the wilderness, trading limits, etc. But if you could change only ONE thing in the game back to how it was, what would it be? (sorry to all those POES out there who want to change everything back, and then some.)

Note: this is a poll of what you'd like to turn back to how it was, not of what you'd change to make it better. (ex: focus on older age groups to get rid of young community, spice up combat, etc.)

I lost all my dignity a long time ago.

Comments

• amescoamesco Member Posts: 52

We have to keep trying to force it through jagex's head that they made mistakes and that they need to make everything better. And for people who think that rs is at its best, then you really need to pay attention to the game.

• Jordan23tJordan23t Member Posts: 6

everyone things that runescape is dead because there is no more wildy,... People used wildy to make cash...You can still make money by a skill and maybe make more money than wildy, like this.

MAKE Profit/Exp. per Hr.: 200-300k +20-25k

Green Dragons (Melee)

-----------

Req.: 90 Combat, Antifire shield, Games necklace, Food

Steps to follow:

1)Teleport to Clan Wars and walk east until reaching the Green Dragons.

2)Kill the green dragons and pick up their hides and bones.

3)When your inventory is full, tele to Bounty Hunter and bank.

Profit/Exp. per Hr.: 200-300k +20-25k Exp.

??ˆ??˜“°'*ªºª*'°”`˜`ˆ??ˆ??˜“°'*ªºª*'°”`˜`ˆ??ˆ??˜“°'*ªºª*'°”`˜`ˆ?

Originally posted by Jordan23t

everyone things that runescape is dead because there is no more wildy,... People used wildy to make cash...You can still make money by a skill and maybe make more money than wildy, like this.
    MAKE Profit/Exp. per Hr.: 200-300k +20-25k
    Green Dragons (Melee)

-----------

Req.: 90 Combat, Antifire shield, Games necklace, Food

Steps to follow:

1)Teleport to Clan Wars and walk east until reaching the Green Dragons.

2)Kill the green dragons and pick up their hides and bones.

3)When your inventory is full, tele to Bounty Hunter and bank.

Profit/Exp. per Hr.: 200-300k +20-25k Exp.

You might make money without the wildy, but there is no point in making money without the wildy. The wildy was an enviorment where anything could happen and you could end up having to buy all your armor back. Now all you have to do with money is go buy food to use against useless NPCs or players in the dual arena where you practiclly knew who was going to win in each fight. You really wouldn't need to buy a lot of armor even if you did lose it against an NPC because of the 3 items you get to keep on death and if you staked that much and lost than you need to start controlling how much you stake. You can't be skulled anymore and if you don't get some of your armor back then you are carrying way too many things to be going to the wildy or fighting an NPC. There is a low risk of losing items in each of these. 

When fighting against the computer there was very low risk of losing your items. The little risk that does exist is because some people take on something too strong or with low health. There were times were I would start to die and I could literally outrun death. 

In the duel arena there is normally a low risk of losing your things also. The only reason there is no risk at all is because of staking and people normally know when not to stake. Unlike in the wildy there really was no surprise to who was going to win. In the wildy you could decide to gang up on another player in a multicombat zone with 3 other friends and end up losing. 

There is no real reason to get money without the wildy.      

• dafuzzledafuzzle Member Posts: 160

I would have to say the wilderness, because with that back there would be enough to do and the trade limits could be tolerable.  It could possibly bring the economy back to what it was and would bring back what fueled the game.  Now its just a wasteland for litle kids to run around in.

Originally posted by dafuzzle

I would have to say the wilderness, because with that back there would be enough to do and the trade limits could be tolerable.  It could possibly bring the economy back to what it was and would bring back what fueled the game.  Now its just a wasteland for litle kids to run around in.

I remember when low levels would be the targets in the wildy, but now they probably go around calling people noobs.

• Ratboy51Ratboy51 Member Posts: 29

Does anyone know the real reason Jagex removed the wildy?

*Crickets chirp*

Real World Traders (bots) were infesting the game. Some of them were paying for their accounts with stolen credit cards, while others were using Macros and ruining the game for others. Some bots were scamming players out of alot of money, and some were stealing accounts. Jagex had to do something to stop them before RuneScape no longer existed.. They removed the 2 things that were bringing the Autoers in, Unbalanced Trading, and The Pking styles of the wilderness.

I know it was upsetting, and 1Million players quit RuneScape. But, tell me now? Which would you rather have?

Epic awesome me

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by Ratboy51

*Crickets chirp*

Real World Traders (bots) were infesting the game. Some of them were paying for their accounts with stolen credit cards, while others were using Macros and ruining the game for others. Some bots were scamming players out of alot of money, and some were stealing accounts. Jagex had to do something to stop them before RuneScape no longer existed.. They removed the 2 things that were bringing the Autoers in, Unbalanced Trading, and The Pking styles of the wilderness.
    I know it was upsetting, and 1Million players quit RuneScape. But, tell me now? Which would you rather have?

If you had been here last fall you would be aware that all of this has already been discussed. This is false. There are other options that should have been implemted instead. There are many ways to deal with RMT, (FYI RMT is what it is called only  rs calls it RWT because RMT has been discussed by many games long before runescape made an issue of this.)  If you look up RMT would will see many articels on how other games have successfully dealt with this issue.  This is not a new thing, and Jagex was just using it as an excuse, when they had many options that did not ruin their game. They chose to ruin their game instead. Your poll does not have enough options you need to add :

implement what other games are currently using to battle RMT, and have a fun and RMT free game.

• Ratboy51Ratboy51 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by deviliscious

*Crickets chirp*

If you had been here last fall you would be aware that all of this has already been discussed. This is false. There are other options that should have been implemted instead. There are many ways to deal with RMT, (FYI RMT is what it is called only  rs calls it RWT because RMT has been discussed by many games long before runescape made an issue of this.)  If you look up RMT would will see many articels on how other games have successfully dealt with this issue.  This is not a new thing, and Jagex was just using it as an excuse, when they had many options that did not ruin their game. They chose to ruin their game instead. Your poll does not have enough options you need to add :

implement what other games are currently using to battle RMT, and have a fun and RMT free game.

Why would Jagex lie to millions of people?

Epic awesome me

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

*Crickets chirp*

I dont think 1mil players quit and you got the general reason but theres more. Basically when Jagex take your payments from credit cards it goes through a different company that processes these transactions called 'worldpay'. A lot of the bots memberships were paid with stolen credit cards, when a stolen credit card is used to pay, Jagex need to refund that money AND pay worldpay to perform a 'chargeback' (reversing the payment), so those of you who think the bots earn Jagex money are wrong, they cost them money. The stolen credit cards were likely being used so often that Worldpay has probably given Jagex a warning about it. If Jagex didn't do something about it, it could of lead to them being 'blacklisted' by Worldpay and/or certain banks meaning they would not be able to accept credit cards as payment anymore. Looking at a recent poll, not being able to accept credit card payments would have likely bankrupt Runescape or sevearly affected it much worse than the removal of pking/inbalanced trading etc. Which payment method do you generally use to subscribe? Credit card - 75% 75% of players who would need to switch their payment method, many of whome wouldn't be able to, so wouldn't be able to play on members anymore, some may not be able to afford the other payment methods, since most are more expensive. It would have a much more severe effect on the game than Jagex's updates.

?

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

You would have to look at it from their point of view. If you had come out at that time when they released these updates and told their players" we  have other options but we do not want to implement those, instead we are wanting to bust our way into the childrens market  and this is  the first step in doing so."

how do you think players would have responded to that? You see how well they responded to them trying to tell players that they had no other choice, and that wasn't good, if they had flat out stated that the response would have been much worse. They are stating it now. Read their interview that they gave at e3. They are letting the  gaming world know where they are headed, but are not letting their own players know in their own forums.  Notice how they say these things at gaming conventions, but not in their own game forums? There is a reason for this. It is called "slow transition" they are hoping that they keep enough members in the mean time to hold them over through to the full transition.   They also stated in their interview that it is a " starter mmorpg" that is because they are in the business to get players in the door not keep them there. Think about it.

• tp1234tp1234 Member Posts: 6

it does make a lot of sense. they even made the development diary to perhaps persuade the current players even more that it was just to get rid of the RMT'ers.

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

I have to agree as well. Jagex did have other motives for the updates other than getting rid of real world trading. They were making the transition to a more kid-friendly game. I don't understand why they would do that at the expense of veteran players though. No other game I can think of would essentially drive out their veteran fan base. I suppose this is probably just one of their ideas to change the way kids play online games.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by AkaJetson

*Crickets chirp*

I dont think 1mil players quit and you got the general reason but theres more. Basically when Jagex take your payments from credit cards it goes through a different company that processes these transactions called 'worldpay'. A lot of the bots memberships were paid with stolen credit cards, when a stolen credit card is used to pay, Jagex need to refund that money AND pay worldpay to perform a 'chargeback' (reversing the payment), so those of you who think the bots earn Jagex money are wrong, they cost them money. The stolen credit cards were likely being used so often that Worldpay has probably given Jagex a warning about it. If Jagex didn't do something about it, it could of lead to them being 'blacklisted' by Worldpay and/or certain banks meaning they would not be able to accept credit cards as payment anymore. Looking at a recent poll, not being able to accept credit card payments would have likely bankrupt Runescape or sevearly affected it much worse than the removal of pking/inbalanced trading etc. Which payment method do you generally use to subscribe? Credit card - 75% 75% of players who would need to switch their payment method, many of whome wouldn't be able to, so wouldn't be able to play on members anymore, some may not be able to afford the other payment methods, since most are more expensive. It would have a much more severe effect on the game than Jagex's updates.

You're correct.

What I don't understand is why other companies, such as Blizzard, aren't having these problems.  If they are having the problem, then why aren't they taking such strong action?  It's pathetic, really, they didn't even try before this.  Incorrect bans don't solve the problems; while the actual botters /RWTers were out there on the lose.  If JaGeX thought their updates through, thought of better ideas, thought of other ways to solve the problem, they wouldn't be in this mess right now.

Jagex has shown time and time again that they can't handle developing a game.  Poor updates, useless updates (especially ones this year) are just more and more nails in the coffin.   FoG, BH, Summoning, the list goes on, and it just gets worse.

Anyway,  I want to know why the hell other companies (who are having a WORSE problem than Jagex did) aren't taking the same actions.  It just becomes more blatantly obvious they did NOT have to take such strong action.

One day, I hope RuneScape's ideas go to developers who care about their custamors, and do the best they can to keep them happy.  Until then, the brilliant ideas of RS are now being ran by fools and being played by 8 year olds....

Yeah I'm also kind of hoping that someone would make a game like runescape before the lousy updates and with better graphics. Runescape would be worth playing if it werent for the updates after December 12, 2007, the customer service, the bad graphics, and the immature community. I really do hope a developer comes up with this game. I suppose I would also appreciate some better audio than what runescape has. Oh and a better combat system and gamplay not entirely dependent on mouse clicks.

• plqxplqx Member Posts: 15
    What I don't understand is why other companies, such as Blizzard, aren't having these problems.  If they are having the problem, then why aren't they taking such strong action?  It's pathetic, really, they didn't even try before this.  Incorrect bans don't solve the problems; while the actual botters /RWTers were out there on the lose.  If JaGeX thought their updates through, thought of better ideas, thought of other ways to solve the problem, they wouldn't be in this mess right now.

About a year ago, a large and well known bank blocked all payments to Blizzard due to the levels of credit card fraud associated with real world item trading.

They are having the problems, they just don't care.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by plqx

About a year ago, a large and well known bank blocked all payments to Blizzard due to the levels of credit card fraud associated with real world item trading.

They are having the problems, they just don't care.

Link, and prove that this is still active.

• plqxplqx Member Posts: 15

It was rather more recently than I thought.

Here's a link. There are plenty of other sites that have reports on it though.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/15/halifax_blizzard_block/

*Crickets chirp*

To make more money. Duh.