Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Forums

Think they will have a forum or will this be forumless like daoc and use other gaming sites.

Comments

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

No forums. They cause more damage than they solve (in my and many other peoples' opinions.)

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• DapperBantamDapperBantam Member Posts: 47

As stated above, they won't have forums on their site, the "official" forums tend to be Warhammer Alliance though.

MMO's Played:
    Current- none
    Waiting For- WAR, ChampO
    Beta- Auto Assault, Mythos, Tabula Rasa
    Trial- EQ, EnB, AC 2, SWG, UO, AO, EVE
    Full Version- CoX, WoW, Vanguard, EQ2, GW, DDO, LotRO, Dungeon Runners, Hellgate

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757
    Originally posted by Ascension08

No forums. They cause more damage than they solve (in my and many other peoples' opinions.)

More damage how?  I don't see how they can get away with not having their own forums where they can make important announcments and provide helpful stickies.  More laziness and/or hidding from customers.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Not this shit again....

There's a topic probably a page over that attracted tons of people on both sides of the fence.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• lekizlekiz Member Posts: 171

Have a look at the WoW forums, that is enough explanation as to why they 'will not' have forums of any sort.

• LorkLork Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by greymann

More damage how?  I don't see how they can get away with not having their own forums where they can make important announcments and provide helpful stickies.  More laziness and/or hidding from customers.

Every MMO that i have played ( A lot btw) Always had a announcement box right when you signed it.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I'd point him to the WAR Herald but I'm pretty certain that like much of the other people in the other thread he will just not want to see it let alone consider it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by lekiz
    Have a look at the WoW forums, that is enough explanation as to why they 'will not' have forums of any sort.

WoW, lets just say the same thing only like this.

Just look at what crap Vanguard is, forget Warhammer!

Makes as much sense.

WoW isn't the only game with forums and just because they are not moderated doesn't mean it can't be done.

Why people seem to think some random fan site is any better than official forums is beyond logic or reason.

Herald is great, but it doesn't link to all the posts the devs and folk make that are just as important.

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

Dont forget AoC, every guy that decides to quit conan plays a new mmorpg, flaming in the official forums. They may have right in their accusations but the result is that most of us who still play the game dont even bother to visit official forums anymore...

No forums for war

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by thanoskkk

Dont forget AoC, every guy that decides to quit conan plays a new mmorpg, flaming in the official forums. They may have right in their accusations but the result is that most of us who still play the game dont even bother to visit official forums anymore...
     No forums for war image

And yet you somehow think a non-official forum will be any better? Not only do you have to deal with paying customers but every Tom, Dick and Harry that isn't.

Seriously what lunatic spread this lie that people are buying into that a fan forum is better than official.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

It worked out just fine for DAoC to not have an official forum, and I don't see why it won't work here. Plus I very rarely have the urge to look at the official forums. I think out of 8 years of MMO's I have used the forums only a handful of times for anything remotely useful. I usually just go here for my forum fix, and the community seems to do a fine job shuffling the information around.

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561
    Originally posted by greymann

No forums is a good choice from their point of view. They already have a presence in all the big fan sites and Dev status in them all. THey can read them without having to get spammed by all the usual nerf threads and whining kiddies. The moderation is not their responsiblity so they don't pay some people to sit on their arses all day deleting posts like in AOC forums :)

As for important announcements. That what the Warhammer Herald on their website is for.

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment
    Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
    http://www.damnedsouls.eu

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

If you follow this logic:

Better to have 2 good cities than 6 crappy ones.

Better not to have 4 classes than having them horribly unbalanced.

Better to have unofficial forums than badly moderated official forums.

Then Mythic is doing the right decision and it's a great company. This is what all the fanatics choose to think.

But... if you rather think that:

Better to have 6 good cities than 2.

Better to have 4 good classes than not having them.

Better to have well moderated official forums than unofficial forums.

Then suddenly Mythic is not doing so rightly decisions and maybe (just maybe) it's not that great company everybody is talking about.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

No forums might be a good thing though they simply don't want to hear all the whining when the game releases. I played FFXi for a long time and from this day I don't even know if they have any official forums. I was much happier playing the game without them. Though I am playing Lotro right now and the forums there are really great because they have a great community.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by impulsebooks 

THey can read them without having to get spammed by all the usual nerf threads and whining kiddies. The moderation is not their responsiblity so they don't pay some people to sit on their arses all day deleting posts like in AOC forums :)
    As for important announcements. That what the Warhammer Herald on their website is for.

You said basically what I was going to point out. They have 'control' of a sort in that the 'unofficial' forums certainly aren't going to say boo if Mythic gives them a directive. And since they don't have to pay people to moderate or maintain the overhead of the servers, more resources go to the game.

Originally posted by altairzq

Then Mythic is doing the right decision and it's a great company. This is what all the fanatics choose to think.

Then suddenly Mythic is not doing so rightly decisions and maybe (just maybe) it's not that great company everybody is talking about.

Better to have 5 Tiers instead of 4.

Better to have four unbalanced classes cut so people can't try to play them then complain how bad they are. (This is the only point the trolls win on though, still it wasn't an easy decision by Mythic and no one has or ever will say that they're perfect.)

Better to have unofficial forums when they're just a breeding ground for the whiners when all the information you need can be found directly from Mythic, as well as technical support. And when you think about it, what are FAN sites for? Discussing the game. So, for discussing the game, they're suddenly WORSE than official forums? Makes alot of sense.

A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

DAOC and Final Fantasy though are old games and times have changed so what worked then more than likely will not work in the present.  The reason why this question is asked a millions times is because many of the newcomers to MMORPG's or gaming in general are coming from WoW.  Without forums they will be confused, frustrated, and a plea for official forums will be made constantly.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Better to have four unbalanced classes cut so people can't try to play them then complain how bad they are. (This is the only point the trolls win on though, still it wasn't an easy decision by Mythic and no one has or ever will say that they're perfect.)

Better to have unofficial forums when they're just a breeding ground for the whiners when all the information you need can be found directly from Mythic, as well as technical support. And when you think about it, what are FAN sites for? Discussing the game. So, for discussing the game, they're suddenly WORSE than official forums? Makes alot of sense.

So you belong to option 1. What is your point exactly?

• mokonamokona Member Posts: 51

You know like about 2 years ago when Mythic started publishing the newletters that they did say that there was not going to be an offical forum board and that they where where going to let majior fan sites get the news and heads up on up coming patch notes. So this is  nothing new.  Personaly Im more worried about game play and not so worried about if they are or are not doing forums.

If god loves the fools ,and god loves every one, dose that mean we are all fools.

So you belong to option 1. What is your point exactly?

"This is what the fanatics choose to think". No, pretty much anyone could come up with what I did.

I would argue many MMORPG veterans argue that the postives of an official forum outweigh the negatives.

• treefittytreefitty Member Posts: 260

I am a bit skeptical when it regards Mythic. However, there hasn't been a decent game released this year yet, IMO. The last good game I saw was from October of last year. Team Fortress 2, Imo.  Hopefully, Warhammer will be one of these "Good Games," but the odds are against it.

I have faith though I have my CE Preorder and will play it. But I hope it doesn't suck because I sure will be bored until another pvp based mmo comes out, that or Fat Princess gets released on the PC.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

IMO, DAoC is one of the very few MMOs that actually listen on that rare occasion. They have always kept people informed. I'm not saying its what we wanted to hear, but when Sonya was the PR person we were never in the dark despite no official forums. In any case, I don' think devs, or the decision makers base their direction for the game from fanbois or haters.

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561
    Originally posted by Hoplites

I would argue many MMORPG veterans argue that the postives of an official forum outweigh the negatives.

I would call myself an MMO veteran having played most of them at one time or another, and I DO NOT agree at all. I feel the exact opposite in true. The fact that WAR has so many fansites dedicated to the game is a huge positive making an official forum totally obsolete and unecessary.

If players ask you where to go to ask questions about the game say this:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/

http://www.mmorpg.com/

http://vnboards.ign.com/Warhammer_Online_Age_of_Reckoning_General_Board/b22997/

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment
    Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
    http://www.damnedsouls.eu

Originally posted by impulsebooks

Originally posted by Hoplites

I would call myself an MMO veteran having played most of them at one time or another, and I DO NOT agree at all. I feel the exact opposite in true. The fact that WAR has so many fansites dedicated to the game is a huge positive making an official forum totally obsolete and unecessary.

If players ask you where to go to ask questions about the game say this:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/

http://www.mmorpg.com/

http://vnboards.ign.com/Warhammer_Online_Age_of_Reckoning_General_Board/b22997/

IGN boards are archaic and often times ends up having more flame fests than any other official forum I have visited.  If I had a choice of going to the CoX portion of the IGN boards or the official boards of CoX ten times out of ten I am choosing the official boards for information on the game.

MMORPG.com has a large list of games, but it is not specific enough for each game.  Us veterans can give our opinions on these games we have experienced but not the in depth information found on official forums (more specifically the ETA downtime of servers for example).

Warhammeralliance surprisingly has a lot of WAR fans from the tabletop game and it seems they may erupt over there if the remaining cities are not put in at some point, but that issue is better suited for another thread.  With that said there is very little room to voice concerns over there given the fansite receives benefits/advantages working with Mythic.

I know of many games with official forums that also have fansites/wikis dedicates to the game (eg WoW) so that is not exactly a good reason either for not having an official forum.