Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Flaws of Runescape

mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Let's go over the flaws of RuneScape that the POES and I have been talking about for about 7 months now.  Let us begin.

INTRO

This is a thread reflecting on where JaGeX has gone wrong throughout the past months.  It will also be reflecting strongly on the updates (or downdates, I should say) which the POES and I argue so strongly about (as well as other things).  These downdates were when they removed free trade from the game of RS..  Want to lend something to your friends?  You are unable to, due to the fact that you can't trade over 30k without someone giving to something in return. 

Not only did these updates take away the ability of free trade from the game of RuneScape, but it has also taken the one of RS' best features- The Wilderness & Duel Arena.  The wilderness was stripped from the game [without warning, may I add] and what were we long time players given?  BH...which will be explained further as you read more.

PVP

Bounty Hunter (the beginning)-   I will explain BH first.  BH is a PVP minigame, which was Jagex's poor way of fixing the updates back in November/December.  If you didn't read the INTRO, the updates are what took the wilderness (and several other things) from RS.  Not only that, but BH is only on a few worlds.

Now, at first, BH was multi PvP. Now, the problem with this is that whoever had the largest was safe, and would easily win the battles.  Not only that, but it stripped the ability of actually PVPing with a small group of friends (something I did A LOT when I used to play RS).  I would just join a small group of my friends, go to an less populated server, and walk around looking for a battle..

BUT, all of this was unable to do in BH.  It was impossible to group with a small group of friends and play, since you would constantly get ganked by the larger groups.  Not only that, but the cave level differences are ridiculous.  1-54, 55-99, 100-126 (or close to that).  This takes away from lower levels being able to enjoy the PvP experience...Higher level and larger numbers- ALWAYS victory.  Trying to enjoy a PVP experience with a friend-- ALWAYS losing

So, the EARLY version of BH took away:

---Ability to enjoy a PvP experience with a small group of friends

---Ability to have a fair fight

---Ability to fight your own levels with risk

---Ability to have a less populated PvP world.

Bounty Hunter (After they changed it):  Bounty Hunter is still only done in a few select worlds.  But now, instead of being multi PvP, it is single PVP. 

This was done before the release of FOG (explained later on), so Jagex felt the need to have some single PVP until that released.  Well, now there is still NO multi PvP with risk and reward, even several months after the release of FOG.

Now there are several problems with the single player BH.  The fact is that now it is like a bad day in the Edgeville wilderness- "pjin" (Player kill jacking).(when you steal someone else’s' kill) is very strong.  Not only that, but there are many times when you are not matched up with someone even near your level, which leaves players at a huge disadvantage.

Problems with BH now:

---Lower levels are at a huge disadvantage; it's like walking into level 50 wildy.

---No team play,

---Player kill jacking is stronger than ever

---STILL hard to get a fair fight

------These and many more problems are what plague Bounty Hunter

Fists OF Guthix- People were still mad from the fact they still didn’t have single PvP.  Sure, BH was made 1v1 later on, but people were waiting for this...Boy was it a disappointment to many people.

To sum it up, it was kind of like a hide and seek game.  I get some rock, and I run away from my target so he doesn't catch me.  I still run, and try to get as many points as I can get, the closer to the center I am the more points I receive..

From the person chasing their target 's point of view, the fact is they just run around aimlessly looking for their target...no skill involved.  It's a safe, no risk, hardly any reward PVP minigame...not exactly what the community was waiting for....

Flaws with F.O.G.:

---Still safe, no risk at all

---Unbalanced, I've been matched with 40s and 120s

---No skill, it's like playing hide & seek

---IT'S STILL SAFE.  The people who were looking for something like the Edge wildy were deeply disappointed.

I'm not going into clan wars, since that particularly explains itself.................

PVE AND COMBAT

Hmm, where to begin..

Combat- Well, to say the least, the combat is extremely boring.  It is entirely food-based, hack n slash, and you don’t even involve any use of skill.  If I click on a monster, then I will automatically attack using the skill I would like to train in.  It really took no skill and I could practically go downstairs, eat a piece of pie, come back up and I would still be fighting. 

PvE- The AI is poor, the monsters just walking around in circles constantly.  Nothing surprising from the monsters, just the same attack each time.  The most interesting it gets is when a dragon uses its fire breath.

Not only that, but RS doesn't even get close to encouraging anyone to group (until much higher levels).  I, and many others, hated when there were people around my monsters, which should be the exactly the opposite of what we should be doing.  It's nice to know that it is solo friendly, but wanting me to play alone is not exactly what an MMO should be going for.

DIFFERENT SKILLS

This is both good and bad part of RS.  While it leaves different things to do, the problem is that they are so repetitive.  They are not enjoyable, it is just constantly grinding until just so you can make money.  It's just a mask for grinding with no real reward.

COMMUNITY

The community is one of the worst I have ever seen, I would go far enough to say it is worse than WoW's community.  It is infested with young kids, who run around calling people noobs and talking smack and speaking curse words for the first time.

Why is this so?  It's because Jagex caters to kids with their updates.  Ever since it was posted on Miniclip, Jagex has made updates based for children.  Not only that, but putting the game on Miniclip is what gave this game the community it has today.

NOTE:  not all of the community is immature, but a good percentage of them are.

JAGEX: THE POOR WAY THEY HANDLED THIS

Unprepared:  The fact is, Jagex was unprepared when they made this update.. They (somehow) must have expected everything to just go peachy-keen when they created this update...they were mistaken.  Why are they unprepared you ask?

a)  The loot share system was not implemented until SEVERAL MONTHS after the update.  Somehow, they must have forgotten that when players actually do share loot from monsters, and realized that they COULDN'T GIVE EACHOTHER LOOT.  It is ridiculous how they did not have this ready for the game-changing update.

b)  The lend system is STILL not released.  SIX MONTHS after they make this update, they are a still working  on having players lend things to each other...Ridiculous. 

c)  A single PVP minigame was added several months after.  Once again, if you are going to do updates like this, why don't they have this from the beginning?!  It shouldn't take a genius to realize that the EDGE pkers wanted something to replace their PVP with! 

d)  Overall, my point is Jagex doesn't think before their updates.  They go about changing the balance of the game, yet they fail to be prepared for the consequences.  They should have had these updates released by the time this update was ready, NOT six months and counting after the updates.

Customer Service:  It really is terrible.  When it comes to simple issues, they will always be willing to answer them.  Yet when it comes to the times when there are actually problems, they blow it over and act as if nothing happened.  Truly poor customer service on Jagex's part.

It's simple: Jagex just doesn't care about their customers, and they believe they can do whatever they like with game- people just won't be leaving.  They are probably correct.

The list just goes on...

ECONEMY

The economy has fallen apart without the wilderness.  People who made money doing things like selling food and creating potions are in a huge dilemma, since the demand of their items have gone down.  And, since this is no longer the beautiful player run economy that it once was, they are forced to go with the prices that Jagex has made.

When they took away the ability for players to set their own prices, they took away the free economy. Hard working fishers now cannot sell their lobsters, unless they go within Jagex’s range of prices. Doesn’t matter how hard/long it took to achieve, they are unable to sell them at their own price…

The need for things like potions and food has also gone down. The once highly demanded items are now much less used than before. 

Having the developers pick the price of items, and not the players, is just wrong.

THE OTHER BIG ISSUE....

The inability for players to lend things to other players...One of the best parts of MMOs is having the ability to meet new people, make friends, and share items.  Want to help that level 5 and give him 45k to get him on his feet?  CAN'T, the trade restriction doesn't allow you. Want to lend your long time friend 300k since he got hacked?  CAN'T, trade restriction doesn't allow you.

JaGeX has taken away the ability to help a friend, to give something to that noob, it's just not possible anymore..  Many people cannot play a game like that, and I for am one of them.

OTHER MMORPGS WILL NOT FOLLOW

The chances of other MMOs actually following Jagex in their footsteps is just so slim...the fact is, JaGeX is very lucky they were able to to get away with it…here are the reasons why:

a)     Browser based

b)     Younger aged community

c)     Players who put too much time and money in the game to quit

d)     Their first game- don’t really know of any others

Those are the main reasons why Jagex isn’t paying for their updates. No other MMOs are willing to take the steps that Jagex has taken because they do not have any of these things. Hell, Blizzard hasn’t even done it yet and they have a problem much worse than Jagex’s.   Any other MMO to do this is practically writing their own grave in the graveyard of MMOs. Right next to SWG, in fact.

CONCLUSION

Well, that is all.  While I am sure I left some out, I would love to see others opinion on this.  Agree or disagree, I would like to soo everyones' point of view of this subject.

Also, feel free to add if I missed anything :D

---POES, our vioces will be heard.

Comments

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Well said mike! I too used to take up for Runescape, and still thinks the game could be salvaged if  Jagex pulled their heads out and made some major changes.

First of all I would like to address those players that think that people are just ranting and whining about the game without reason. We have very good reasons to be upset with the developers because we invested  time and money into that game and they decided to break it. It is like this: I personally have invested hundreds of dollars in membership fees and years into that game only to have them take everything out of the game that I enjoyed. If I had been aware that they were going to ruin the game so badly I would have never put my time and money into the game in the first place.

----------------JAGEX PRIORITIES------------------------

The biggest problems with Runescape is that the priorities of the developers always seem backwards. It is like they think of exactly what they players would want to be done and then do the exact opposite. Instead of doing things for the game that would have enchanced gameplay, they remove everything good about the game.They are well known for taking away alot and giving very little back.

For years players have been asking for rewards for their hard work and levels, and had suggested  max level special rewards such as a cooking item that makes you never burn fish ever, a mining item that makes you mine runite faster, a wc axe that makes you chop magic logs faster.. ect, instead they made a skill cape that does not help you, instead it does silly emotes that make people follow you around harrassing you. Harrassment is a punishment not a reward.  That was the reason so many high level maxed stat players refused to wear them, they were insulted by the capes when they had been asking for years for Jagex to give them better rewards. Instead of rewards for your efforts they just make you suffer more.

For years players have asked for armor and character makeovers, but instead they updated the monsters first. By updating the monsters first, they took away from their work because players were upset that their noobs still looked terrible even though they have been pleading with Jagex for years to update character graphics. If they had any sense they would have updated players first then the environment so that the players would actually appreciate their efforts rather than get upset because they were ignored.

Players have been making good suggestions to enhance the game for years, instead of their suggestions being considered and welcomed, they are ignored.  Players had suggested good skills for the game years ago, such as engineering and shipbuilding that would enhance their lacking pvp system, but instead the developers decided to go with boring skills such as farming and summoning, that do not enhance the overall fun in gameplay.

Instead of actually trying to make their game more fun and increase their memberships, and playability they take a wrecking ball to it and  tell their long time customers that they do not matter.

----------JAGEX CUSTOMER SERVICE----------------

Jagex treats players like their time and money means nothing to them, and treats their players unfairly.

One thing that anyone that plays that game needs to realize when dealing with Jagex, You can be wrongly banned without evidence at any given time while playing. No, I am not banned from the game, but I know of hundreds of players that were unfairly banned and not allowed to appeal. If they do wrongly ban your account they do not accept appeals and will not discuss it with you. Those players who think that Jagex will not do this are greatly mistaken, yes you can spend years on your account never say a bad thing to anyone treat everyone with kindness and then get banned for something you didn't even do because they apparently do not review evidence very well and do not care about their players in general.  

Some examples of what I have seen happen over the years of playing:

1. My friend was upset she didn't feel like talking to anyone that day, so she was in the ghost city making cannon balls all by herself with trade off, public and private chat off she was making cannon balls all alone in the remote ghost city.  A mod shows up and starts talking to her, she doesn't want to talk to anyone so she does not answer him. She was permanantly banned for not talking to the mod, they claimed she was macroing, when she didn;t even know what macroing was. They did not accept appeals and refused to discuss it with her.

2.  Grandmother gave her grandson full dharoks in the game was was banned for RWT, and they refused to discuss it or accpet any appeals.

3. An English teacher gave free stuff to her students in game and they banned her for RWT and refused to accpet any appeals.

4. I was on headset with my friend and we were both in faly w2 and he saw this guy who scammed his whip like 2 weeks before was made into a mod and was now scamming whips with a crown next to his name, so my friend goes up and says " I can't believe they made a whip scammer a moderator."  The mod then mutes him and goes back to scamming whips, and the next day my friends account was perma banned for it.  The way the mod would scam whips is he would put up cash then quickly switch it out so instead of getting 10m for the whip you got 10k, since it was a mod most players relaxed a bit when trading the guy so it was easier for him to scam.

There have been countless bans for all sorts of crazy reasons and even ones that were banned for no apparent reason,  By random kids walking around reporting people without cause. Jagex does do this, and it can happen to anyone, even people who don't want to talk!

When you try to discuss anything with Jagex in a rational manner you will be treated poorly by their customer service. if you try to discuss things truely important to the game itself in forums, they will remove the threads and the reason they give for this is: " This is a matter that Jagex takes very seriously and I regretfully have to remove this post." if you try to discuss it further they will ban your account.

Their view of their customers characters as "Being the sole property of Jagex Ltd"  Your time and money mean nothing to them and they make this very clear when you voice any objections to their deciisions regarding your account. This is not customer service, You actually have to care about your customers in order to give them service.

------------------------------PVP--------------------------------

The main unique thing with Runescape that sets it apart from most MMORPGS is that on one character you can train everyting as little or as much as you want. On one player you can do everything the game has to offer.  It is the ability to switch weapons, fighting styles and armor in combat that makes PVP fun, otherwise it is just hack and slash. You can mage range and melee all at once in a battle wearing any type of armor. The Old wilderness was great for PVP for so many reasons, I cannot believe they were stupid enough to remove one of the only things that runescape had to offer that other developers would want to look at for planning PVP areas in their games.  It was a Full Loot pvp area where you could gradually increase your risk as you went deeper into it.

It had areas for one on one same level and gradually increased your levels as you went deeper, it had massive multiplayer areas where you could ahve wars with hundreds of players, it had areas where people could truley "hunt for players" as you never knew where players would actaully be because there were so many areas that players frequent. In the wilderness you could do just about every type of PVP activity. Players had one on one death matches, 2 on 2 death matches, 12 on 12 pk run ins, massive wars with hundreds of players, one player could go kill an entire clan and drop their stuff in edge for the noobs to pick up. You could win nothing or win millions and never know what is going to happen. It was an anything goes no holds barred area for all players to enjoy. You could be fighting one clan and then have 2 more show up and have to fight them as well, or learn the wildreness map and learn how to make your way through it without ever being attacked. This level of unpredictability was totally stripped from the game leaving PVP in the game stripped down to only predictable, boring, risk free and extremely limited in your options.

Instead of increasing the excitement and enhancing their PVP by adding ship wars and player built fortresses, cannons and catapults to the wilderness, and additional WASD movement, they destroyed their PVP with the removal of one of the best PVP areas in the MMORPG industry.  Instead of enhancing gambling and risk in the game by adding gambing to the gameroom, and allowing people to bet on other players fights they killed gambling all together with the limits on the duel arena, and trade limits. There is no high risk staking anymore in the game. They always seem to the the exact opposite of what would actually imrpove the game.

----------------------------GAMEPLAY--------------------------

When you think of what you spend the most time doing in the game, if you actually time it, In just about every skill you spend the most actual time waiting for things to happen. The slow game speed, slow respawn rates, limited resources and predictable npc fighting takes most of the actual play time just waiting for everything to happen.  Almost every activity in the game is based on waiting for things to happen.Waiting is not enjoyable or exciting it is boring. Examples of what you wait to happen:

1. woodcutting- you click on a tree and  wait while your character chops logs, then the tree disappears and then you have to wait for another one to respawn, then you click on the bank and wait for your character to walk to the bank.

2. mining-  you click on a rock wait for your character to mine the rock, then wait for the rock to respawn.

3. smithing- you take your ore to a furnace, then wait for your character to smelt the bars, then click on the bank and wait for your character to walk to the bank. Click the furnace then wait for your character to walk to the furnace.

4. hunting- you set a trap then wait for an animal to crawl into it.

5. fletching- you put logs into your inventory, then wait while your character fletches them into bows, then you wait for your character to string them.

6. slayer- you click on a monster and wait for it to die, then wait for it to respawn so you cn wait for it to die again.

7. fishing- you click on a spot and wait for your character to catch enough fish to fill up your inventory.

8.cooking- you use the fish on the range then wait for your player to cook them all.

9.merchanting- you put your stuff in the exchange and wait for it to sell.

10. farming- you plant and then wait for it to grow.

The gameplay is extremely repetitious and slow going. All you do is wait in this game and unlike other games your not aloud to wait afk. Instead of making you wait less when you gain levels they make gathering the higher level items take longer to gather rather than easier, so there is no point in gathering them in the first place.

-------------------------Community------------------------------

I agree with MIke, they are ruining the game by catering to the kids. Again, they are doing the opposite of what needs to be done to improve the game. It is the kiddies who start flame wars, scam, cheat, spam, and make for a poor community.

It was a 12 yr old kid, and their friends from school  that was pretending to be girls and sending a keylogger program into players computer via a picture they sent to their victims and mass hacking accounts. I couldn;t believe it when I found out the kid was 12 yrs old and should not have been playing the game in the fiirst place.  This same kid hacked someone from his school and they told their parents and their parents actually threw their computer away, but Jagex did not take action on this kid, who had hundreds of victims in the game, so all that kid needs to do to play again is play from another computer. I know for a fact that Jagex was made aware of this by multiple players sending them screenshots, and tracking their IP, but the 12 yr old kids account was never  actually banned. This kid tried to get me and my friend to join his "hacking ring"  and my friend took screens of everything, my friend actually trapped their keylogger program on an old computer as evidence,  but Jagex did absolutly nothing about it. I knew of many players these kids actually hacked this way, and they all had reported them but Jagex never responded. No, instead Jagex makes 12 year old scammers and hackers player moderators. These same kids can still hack your account and drop all your stuff, even your nontradables because they think it is funny, and Jagex has taken no action against this, other than the bank pin which shouls actually be placed on your account when you log in not just your bank. Though the programs being used now the bank pin doe not help  because the newer programs actually take pictures of your screen so they get your bank pin as well.

The report abuse system works for the scammers not the victims, the scammers rip someone off then wait for the players to get mad and start saying things they normally would not then the scammer reports them and victims get banned instead. This actually happened a lot in that game because of the way they review evidence.

If they actually enforced the age limits and stopped catering to the kiddies the community would greatly improve. There are options for them to help resolve the community issues that would not cost them extra money in monitoring the game. An in game court system for minor offenses would add to gameplay expierance and make the community better. An in game court where players could be jury and a moderator as a judge so that reported players would get a trial to determine their sentences. That was suggested to Jag long ago, but they said " that is not for Runescape". Though something like that would greatly enhance the game, they will not consider it .

----------------------------Conclusion-----------------------------

The reason there are POES (Pissed off ex scapers) is because of the poor treatment they received by a company they supported and invested time and money into. The point of POES is to make it loud and clear to Jagex that if they want to screw players over they are going to hear about it, and let other players know exactly what they are getting themselves into with that company. All of this is done of course in the hopes that Jagex will wake up and actually listen to what players have to say instead of just removing the threads. The more people who speak up maybe eventually we will see changes. If you keep allowing them to do stuff that you disagree with, they will keep doing it, and with Jagex that only gets worse.. not better. They seem to enjoy making their players suffer, so in turn Jagex can feel the suffering in their pocketbooks by the loss of paying members. By paying for something that you disagree with, you are paying them to ignore their customers and give you substandard work.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Let me start off by saying I agree with everything said.  You're entirely correct.  I'm just going to add on to the skill system...........................................

cooking- Another poor job by Jagex.  I remember people begging for "Cook X amount"  yet they NEVER listened.  They only added this within the last year.

Prayer-  Constantly digging bones

firemaking-  *timberbox *logs* Just constantly!  Instead of waiting, it just has you click repeatedly...not much better

Theiving-  Wait for the items to come back, then click to steal.  Not onyl that, but if you aren't paying attention during this very boring task, other people will beat you to the items

Runecrafting-  Walk all the way to the bank, then to the place to create the runes, and then back...and repeat

I'm sure there are others (these are just off the top of my head).  The fact is, all these skills are just grinding with a spin.  They are no different than just going out and killing things...not to mention that questing and just regular old killing things doesn't have very good rewards (especially in lower levels).

RuneScape is that game you look at and say "That games got potential, too bad the devs don't know how to listen to their player base and keep screwing with the game!"

Edit- Woops almost forgot...

Jagex didn't take correct action before their updates.  They knew they had a problem, yet I have never seen mods bear down and just ban at first glance (and when they do, they did it incorrectly).  I remember a moderator who was near lumbridge, and I was there as well.  We spoke for a bit, and then here comes a 'lil RWT devil.  He starts advertising for gold selling.  He's muted, end of story.

My point is, why don;t they just ban him.  He wasn't even banned, just muted.  Why don't they ban his IP, I just don't understand.  When you have an issue liek this, they get the wrong people but make it so that the ACTUAL RWTers can just make another account.  Why not ban their IP, especially if the issue is as serious as Jagex made it seem.

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

Very well put. I agree with both of you on everything. I just wanted to add some things.

Customer Support

The one thing that really annoyed me about the Customer Support, is that Jagex claims it still exists. The fact is that it doesn't. They removed the only way of communicating with the "Comment on Our Service" link on their website. So there is no way of communicating with them at all. Also, if you go on youtube, you'll see some interesting videos of players "appealing" their offences with profanity and death threats and yet they have been accepted. So I have no idea how Jagex chooses which appeals to accept or reject. I think it's random. However, due to recent updates now you can't even really appeal. They have 3 choices you have to select from if you want to appeal. So you really can't even say what you want to in your appeal. Once again, Jagex could care less what players have to say.

Forums

The forums also are really annoying. If you really think about, there's really no purpose to having them anymore. When was the last time anyone has seen a suggestion from the Suggestions forum implemented in the game. Forum mods do nothing but hide posts and ban users, because they disagree with Jagex. The rants forum has way more posts than the complimets forum. The forums are basically a war for those who support jagex vs. those against jagex. Jagex doesn't even really pay attention to anything of the forums. The forums are also an excellent way to see just how immature the community really is.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by Matt269
    Forums
    The forums also are really annoying. If you really think about, there's really no purpose to having them anymore. When was the last time anyone has seen a suggestion from the Suggestions forum implemented in the game. Forum mods do nothing but hide posts and ban users, because they disagree with Jagex. The rants forum has way more posts than the complimets forum. The forums are basically a war for those who support jagex vs. those against jagex. Jagex doesn't even really pay attention to anything of the forums. The forums are also an excellent way to see just how immature the community really is.

I agree.  I really doubt Jagex reads through the rant forums, as they are the most crowded (not something to be proud of there).  I have never seen one response from a mod on a rant forum, either.

And yes, it really does show the immaturity.  If someone begins to argue about Jagex, (before the thread gets locked of course) the community will just say "well just leave!" or "go cry about it." when the person is actually making good points.

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by mike470

Originally posted by Matt269
    Forums

I agree.  I really doubt Jagex reads through the rant forums, as they are the most crowded (not something to be proud of there).  I have never seen one response from a mod on a rant forum, either.

And yes, it really does show the immaturity.  If someone begins to argue about Jagex, (before the thread gets locked of course) the community will just say "well just leave!" or "go cry about it." when the person is actually making good points.

The only time I've ever seen a mod post on the rants forum is to lock a thread or ban someone for disagreeing with them.

• RVallantRVallant Member UncommonPosts: 66

This isn't anything new you know?

I got out early when they released Hunter, it was obvious then that all skills were becoming money-sinking time wastes.

In fact since they brought out members all they seem intent on doing is pulling out those types of skills. Construction, Hunting, Herblore, Thieving, Agility - are all very tedious work-outs, plus the irony being that Jagex encourages autoing (through cook x, smith x commands) yet would be quick to insta-ban you for actually autoing full out anyway.

I wouldn't mind per se this whole "grind" if say, things were put in respectable places. For example, an anvil next to a furnace, or a mining centre close by to a bank (with more regularity). I could understand why back in the old days they kept them seperated, Smithing was a massive money-maker, very popular too, now though it's a dead skill for all intents and purposes as very little has any use. In addition with the way experience scales through the skill system you're having to mine say, 150 thousand iron ore and 300 thousand coal just to go from level 30 to max 99. That would take a while in any game but in Runescape, with limited inventory and a bank being a mile away from the mines you're looking at some serious game-time to even get anywhere near that level.

End of the day though that's how Runescape has been heading anyway, it always has been a grind fest always will be, the whole PVP/lend crap shouldn't really be any surprise.

I have never been able to figure out why Jagex thinks that making their player suffer is a good thing. There is only punishment and no rewards, all we can do is hope that one day they hire somone with some common sense.

• zword97zword97 Member Posts: 15

by even reading the post of the title im already completly agreeing with you. why even play this game??

it popularity has gone down faster than micheal jackson's fame.

this game is pure sht! no offense(if anyone  feels offended by me saying this)

• Blue_devil73Blue_devil73 Member Posts: 24

the only reason i ever still play this game is for my friends. I can't go passed the free player zone, I can't use the forums, I can't really do anything.

Originally posted by Blue_devil73

the only reason i ever still play this game is for my friends. I can't go passed the free player zone, I can't use the forums, I can't really do anything.

yea most people i know that even go on there anymore do that exact thing.. they sit in a bank talking to friends in pm, they don;t bother even skilling anymore it is just too sad.

• amescoamesco Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by zword97

by even reading the post of the title im already completly agreeing with you. why even play this game??
    it popularity has gone down faster than micheal jackson's fame.

this game is pure sht! no offense(if anyone  feels offended by me saying this)

No offense to anyone ( other than tuss).  BTW, have you noticed that the number of Jagex protecters have gone down. I remember before posting here there would be a few people who would protect rs weeks ago. Now, maybye just Tuss.

Originally posted by amesco

No offense to anyone ( other than tuss).  BTW, have you noticed that the number of Jagex protecters have gone down. I remember before posting here there would be a few people who would protect rs weeks ago. Now, maybye just Tuss.

LOl! I used to protect this game ... before they made a big mess of it.  Though with Jagex's history, I think it will just be a matter of time with Tuss, he will live, learn and then have enough of the nonsense like everyone else has.

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515
    Originally posted by deviliscious

Originally posted by amesco

LOl! I used to protect this game ... before they made a big mess of it.  Though with Jagex's history, I think it will just be a matter of time with Tuss, he will live, learn and then have enough of the nonsense like everyone else has.

I used to protect this game too! Since 2002 I have protected this game. I remember posting in the "Compliments" section of the Rs Forums all the time, coz I was a  wanna-be mod. Then I used to protest against guns, because there was this guy who wanted guns in the game. Well, I was brainwashed back then by the childish and substandard morals of Jagex. heh..And when I heard someone said something bad about Rs, I felt very bad. I felt crushed. But now, its the total opposite. It doesnt mean that I hate Jagex with all my heart. I means that I hate the actions of Jagex, to a point that I curse them for these things. Oh well, I hope they start making something worthwhile. IF they continue on being lazy, though they themselves will be mocked;. I only wish the best for Jagex. I still love runescape as a whole not only because Im a veteran but because of the memories that lie in it. I just wish Jagex would start connecting to their customers, thus increasing their reputation to a whole new level.

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

Please excuse me for editing this a lot as there's so much involved and I know already i'll never cover much at all.

Firstly I am part of POES, however I am very much an opposite of other POES here. Although I have had somewhere between 500 and 700 mainly adult RS friends in the 7 years i've played RS, our group were far more individual players that always hated the hell of PKing Wildy. It's removal was a sort of blessing but not the way it was done, they should have just made 5 or 10 worlds that people like us could of avoided PKers. Consider how the majority of updates since trade limits & GE has been to encourage people back via PKing & PVP, but this has now removed the majority of those friends of mine along with them taking their kids out of the game aswell due to Jagex encouraging killing so much - not just RS but gaming in general encouraging PVP that leads to real life behaviour those kids can't differentiate from. Now i'm so backwards in the game as I can't believe those fools at Jagex (i'll explain them later) have so mucked up the game through. PVPers including PKers get rewards to build skills far better than any of us that hate that - why isn't a skiller a skiller and a killer a killer. Everything they they do especially for PVP is completely destroying the games direction.

Look at how the new skills have gone, Summon being the newest has destroyed the worth of more other skills than any before - Hunting prior to this did it to all players work before. Strange then how Summon destroyed Hunting aswell with things like how I was so happy to catch Imps in Boxes then use to collect more for my bank - LOL now a Terrior Bird  does this aswell as better & worse Summon carrying creatures. If thats not bad enough, now they changed Hunt to actually need the other items that were supposed to improve so where on earth do I find beads with very few new accounts that are only from experienced players that won't ever kill imps at all? Two weeks ago I got vertually attacked by a kid thief Hunting Red Chinchoppas, after nearly an hour alone he logged into my world on top of me then followed me about dropping his traps to confuse me as those covered mine so slowly he started to steal my traps and spots and while reporting him due to his minor abuse with it he took over altogether. This is just the tip of the iceburge of how so much introduced is destroying more of what we have done!

Merchanting: oh now it's called Pyramid Scamming as clans load the GE with gear to trade between each other to jack prices up - just like ripoff property companies do in RL - as prices go up other people buy in and the clans buy while low to hold till the prices seem good then dump all their stuff for maximum gain at others expense. After that it depends on other merchanters quick reactions as to who partly wins and how much so many loose. I never get into merchanting but my bank worth took a huge price dump when the GE was formed e.g. my 468 Duel rings I was selling for between 5k & 10k but after GE was made they went to 746gp, being more a skiller I used to hoard heaps for all skills. Add to all this is how the GE shows the maximum and minimum value so the kids all aim for the lowest price to buy at lowering overall values, not being bad enough they then added the lowest value for trading and of course this pushes the market down even more. Also bringing in Godwars has supplied new better armour and weapons that caused the demise of so many peoples Dragon Chain Sets - the winners here are the hacked accounts that cash everything out to their other preferred stolen accounts to buy this gear (soz to those that genuinely earn good money but being on less I never get much money at all for my level and skills) VALUE in RS is a joke and Jagex are doing nothing to improve it and so much to ruin that economy!

Time to read back to comment some more!

Oh yea, "Jagex": once a reputable group that made a reasonable job originally getting RS of the ground - doubt any of those people are left in the developement teams. Mod Mark & now Mod Andrew trying to say they want to help and as they are 20 they think they are adults too but as we know it takes care, understanding, consideration to fellow people and being able to take many things to blend them in to function together - nope those Mods don't do any of that! If you refer to Jagex from now please realise they are also immature kid minded people that are far too addicted to PKing . Also they forget players come from many different conditions in life while now also moving to please graphics complainers thus forcing a lot more long-time players to quit as their computers can't handle the demands of graphics. Jagex sure are teaching all other game makers 'How Not To Treat Your Paying Customers' while they think their forums full of 10 year olds has good information as they don't realise the majority of players have long ago given up expecting to get truth and honesty from there - even on Salomenous, RuneHQ & Zybez forums my brief visits there confirm to me these are also run by people close to the Jagex group thus doing a mass cover-up which in the long run is burying the probelms too far to fix properly.

Hackers really have got to me so much more recently. Early this year I caught up with an estranged nephew and found he used to share an account with his mother, they made it a girl for her sake and did so well on it but about 18 months ago that mum passed away (as has a few of my good but sick mates that played RIP and teach others lifes facts http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/27/important-vitamin-d-update.aspx by the way ladies please search 'mammograms' while on this site and it may amaze you while 2 RS mates family suffered from this) and not long after he got hacked as his mind wasn't on the game. When he met me and found that I played, he got interested in recovering his account which he did when with another relative in Aus that played too but less his 2 Dchain Sets and lots of Barrows items etc etc. When he came back over here to spend time with me I made him a member again but it was so slow going that he struggled with the game due to it being made so much hard to skill on with cut-a-log, mine-an-ore, fish-a-shark times all so much stretched now. When he left it wasn't long before someone had hacked him again so then he wanted me to recover it since I had rentered his recoveries etc and had that payment copy (something his mum hadn't done so he had no records). The trouble now was that Jagex had updated their system for recering accounts such that the hacker was the first one to pay at the time of this change so they got more right to it than us - this has stresses him to the point of being suicidal which took some time to get him over it. Recently someone was on an account I had known associated to the hackers but back then he seemed genuine while having problems with 1 of them too, this new odd guy claimed to be the real genuine owner of that account too and said he wanted to get the account back for me. I told him we had tried to ask for it to be banned to stop any more of this stress in all our lives and no way would I let my nephew know any of what he had said. It shows the levels people go to in order to steal others and our accounts - remember if they do this they also get details of Real Life things like online banking details etc. At present with the 'Recover A Lost Account' it has become a major problem for genuine owners to recover accounts without copies of payments from long ago while making it easier than ever for hackers to keep them when renewing since they have the relevant details following the website change in requirements to recover accounts - now assume many more playing are hackers since Jagex clearly made more systems to support these sort of people Beware and keep all details to yourself only, don't even tell any good mates your pass and have the bank delay set at 7 days for maximum protection

Remeber a saying of 'One step forward and two steps back' Jagex keep doing this in ever worsening conditions. My most hated part is that which removed by far the most friends from this game - S L O W I N G   e v e r y t h i n g    d o w n   . Why is it I mine coal slower at 89 mining than I did when I was 46, those logs seem to have grown so much gum in the trees now with yews taking about 5 times the time to cut at 94WC than I did at 76WC, shall we go catch some monkfish OMG lol they are slower at 91Fish than sharks were at about 80Fish - i'm sure this explains it enough but why slow to make an extra dollar at the expense of loosing one hundred dollars due to those that quit from this.

Saving as i'm sure i'll remember more!

Runescapes basically just a laggy clickfest - once I actually died during a laggy moment, and death in Runescape sucks something awful.

I have a friend who just sits there fishing, which amounts to clicky clicky till pockets are full, run back to bank, deposit shark, run back to see, and the cycle restarts, all to sell them for the money, and buy some ridiculous party hat or something - not even farming for real cash! 

I tell you, it's an addicting game but no fun.

TO @Jallice, THANK YOU for your dedication and elabortion on whats going on in RS. The Pyramid Scamming thing is something valuable, and I am going to look deeper into how it works, but w/o you mentioning it, I wouldnt have known. Good luck man, keep being a strong advocate for the people who love the runescape of old. 

OMG, the latest update scam from Jagex - changed the looks of scimi's and whips. Well now you can have a scimi that looks like it was left in the furnace too long so is buckled too bad, as for whips the looks are ok but even changing weapons to be a whip it makes more noise like it's tested and when you use it then it takes 3 to 4 times the time to hit as before thus they destroyed more of the game to make a few extra dollars thus will loose more again as that makes us want to quit more and more all the time. Why pay not to play at all as this is where the game is headed?

Maybe time to get back to real life

Originally posted by Jalice888

OMG, the latest update scam from Jagex - changed the looks of scimi's and whips. Well now you can have a scimi that looks like it was left in the furnace too long so is buckled too bad, as for whips the looks are ok but even changing weapons to be a whip it makes more noise like it's tested and when you use it then it takes 3 to 4 times the time to hit as before thus they destroyed more of the game to make a few extra dollars thus will loose more again as that makes us want to quit more and more all the time. Why pay not to play at all as this is where the game is headed?
    Maybe time to get back to real life

Sounds like another unecessary act there now. Well, as I said, Jagex is Jagex and if they like mucking around w/ unecessary shit, then let it be. As I have said before(back when they just instated the new models for HD), they could have improved the models instead of adding new unecessary skills. People ingame might not ask for it, but if you go the the GS forums, my god will  you hear alot of non sense concerning bad childlike models & animations. Jagex needs to think outside the box by doing this 2 things:

-LOOK for solutions outside the Rs forums. Gerhard my son, check out the MMORPG forums, GS forums, the armory forums, the SAwful forums.

-STOP doing extremely unecessary  and annoying things such as adding one pauldron from the original armadyl design making it look unattractive to many runescapers like Shadowfoxx(you know who you are)

OMG I forgot that RS accounts that have 12.5m experience even in F2P can now go into Forums.

Good time to look into it now with so much negative complaints about changing Whips aswell as Dscimis and Godswords. So many now realise how attacking with the Whip takes a lot longer now. As usual ignorant fools are trying to over-ride experienced players complaints as you can tell in "Hey Jagex, do you see a trend" thread - sorry forgot to note it's quick find number but it's in 'Recent Updates'.

Good thing you don't have to join the game to get into forums to bring honesty back to RuinedScape

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

While I am still new to runescape I actually enjoy it. It is kinda retro.. and fun at the same time.  I can understand  vet players of a game getting frustrated with some design issues with a game.  As a very old MMO player.. EQ,SWG,DAOC,AO,WOW,RF online,COH/COV,Guild Wars, LOTR, .... on and on. I will say every vet in his or her perspective game will find flaws.

I also understand much PKing goes on in this game. I understand the group PKing issue. I do know there are other servers than BH where you can pvp more fluidly. Do not get me wrong. I am not behind the makers of Runescape. But I think perhaps it is time for you players complaining to perhaps find a different game.  As a Raider and PVPer you can seriuosly get burnt out.

Have you guys tried other games? There are many to choose from. That is my recommendation.

Originally posted by xpowderx

While I am still new to runescape I actually enjoy it. It is kinda retro.. and fun at the same time.  I can understand  vet players of a game getting frustrated with some design issues with a game.  As a very old MMO player.. EQ,SWG,DAOC,AO,WOW,RF online,COH/COV,Guild Wars, LOTR, .... on and on. I will say every vet in his or her perspective game will find flaws.
    I also understand much PKing goes on in this game. I understand the group PKing issue. I do know there are other servers than BH where you can pvp more fluidly. Do not get me wrong. I am not behind the makers of Runescape. But I think perhaps it is time for you players complaining to perhaps find a different game.  As a Raider and PVPer you can seriuosly get burnt out.
    Have you guys tried other games? There are many to choose from. That is my recommendation.

Actually, If you had read  any of the above posters previous posts, you would see that we are all playing other games, have played many other games, and this does not change our opinion of this game.  Yes, we enjoy games, and would like to see them improved, and when a game is so blatently broken, it is hard not to take note of it.  This game is indeed broken, and that is not just my opinion, but I have found it the majority of the opinion on this board and others, both players and other developers alike.

It is not just the pvp raiding mechanics that are broken, it is the skills,  the in game economy, and their customer service department.  

Originally posted by xpowderx

Yes, I have "tried" all the popular MMOs you know of including Ragnarok,MU,EQ,GW,WoW,Avalon, MUD games, ETC.. and all the mainstream RPGs since I was a active member of the Codex for about 3 years. Turn-based scaled down Pking in a typical wasteland style environment where I spam 0's does NOT interest me,sorry.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I'd have to disagree with FOG review.   It is one of the most soundly designed PvP games I've seen in a MMO in a long time.   Within the game itself there are varying levels of risk that you can take(internal to mini-game only), and between that quite a bit of interaction between the two players.     Though they did do so many shoddy things to what would have been a brillent PvP game:  Non-targets are targetable(WTF I'm not supposed to interact with this person in the game, why is he even here and much more why does he get to mess up my targeting),  the community itself can't play the game(90% of people don't try to mess up the hunter or pull any of the obvious tricks they have access to), they turned it into a reward machine(get your PvE like rewards out of my PvP game), and the entire fact that combat in Runescape is horribly broken.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.