Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is the 7950 so much?

ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Don't try to talk me into vista for now I'm happy with XP 64. The 8 series cards and XP 64 don't go together. Right now Im getting a 7200 from a friend for free just so I can run my games. I am looking at a more advance 7 series card while I wait for windows 7. Also was looking ATI and was wondering is HD2xxx or X1k series is on the same level with the 7 series.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Comments

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

It costs a lot because it is old technology and thus it is not being manufactured anymore.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

Hmm funny, XP 64 is actually worse than Vista in terms of stability and driver support. Anyway as the person above said it's because they are no longer being made. If you don't want any of the new Nvidia cards there is the ATI 4850. You are missing out though, the 8800gt can be found for $100 or less.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Vista is no different to XP in stability (or features).

anyway as a poster above stated the price is so high because they arent being made anymore.  i was recently shopping for a card from a specific manufacturer.  one day the card was $255 the next day it was $350.  i was shocked and when i rang up one of the sellers he explained the jump was because the company had shut down one of its (local) plants and stopped supporting the card.

if you really want a decent card try for the 8800's or the 9XXX series if your loaded.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

xp pro does manage memory better and I will need that later this year when I start working with 3d programs. But anyways I don't know if this is isolated to nvidia or ATI cards don't have drivers either. I also can't get vista till the end of the month anyways.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.

Originally posted by oakae

Hmm funny, XP 64 is actually worse than Vista in terms of stability and driver support. Anyway as the person above said it's because they are no longer being made. If you don't want any of the new Nvidia cards there is the ATI 4850. You are missing out though, the 8800gt can be found for $100 or less.

I wasn't missing out on anything with my 8500 GT. WoW was at 60 fps and CS:S was pretty high also. I would guess that WAR could even run close to 30fps after I get another 2 gigs of ram. I don't play demanding games on my PC thats what my 360 is for.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

This should be your guide for buying video cards, its updated every month and its more reliable then most speculation you will find n this forum.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-cards,1965.html

There really is no reason to go about the 8800gt though, no pc game for a while will be pushing it.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

This should be your guide for buying video cards, its updated every month and its more reliable then most speculation you will find n this forum.

There really is no reason to go about the 8800gt though, no pc game for a while will be pushing it.

alright thanks, allthough I can't find stuff that talks about the problem I had with my 8500gt.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by Arndur

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

alright thanks, allthough I can't find stuff that talks about the problem I had with my 8500gt.

Is there a reason you are using 64bit  over 32bit?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

WoW is an older game, with an older engine. It is also a processor intensive game, so you don't need a super high end video card as much as a decent processor and memory.

Many of the newer games are taking more advantage of the more powerful video cards and stream processors etc. that are out there.

My 7600gs runs WoW fine...but I suspect if I loaded up AOC my computer would explode.

• QmireQmire Member Posts: 423

the new ATI  HD4850 and HD4870  are the best cards in price/performance department, blows Nvidia's cards out  into space, the 4850 costs just as much as the 8800GT but is almost as good as the 9800GTX, so it's all about buying that one if you want a super card for no money or if you wanna spend a little more (still insanely cheap for what it does) HD4870, the big bro to 4850, hammerhead slashes many of Nvidia's cards who costs tripple the price = a giant joke.

Since 4850 and 4870 came Nvidia has dropped their prices EXTREMELY but still not enough when you do a price/performance comparison.

Get a 4850, it's worth every bloody penny, unless you already got a 8800GT or something a little better then you only get a small increase in performance but damn those new ATI cards are so sexey!

And i've been a Nvidia dude for sooooo many years, feels so silly that i jumped so easily over. But those two new ATI cards are so godly it's not even funny anymore.

On the 7950 topic....

It's ancient card by now, so not in production = hard to get = expensive.

But in the end, why the hell would you want that sucktastic card anyway?

• owurfaceowurface Member Posts: 2

7950 may be a old card by some standards but it is still a very high quality card thatycould run any game at decent to max settings easily.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I bought ny PC about 2 years ago and got a 7950 with it......Its a pretty good vid card but not worth what they sold/sell it for.....The problem with buying the best at any one time is that it quickly is outdated and there is better (and usually cheaper) product that comes along shortly after you buy the top end stuff......