Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tasks vs Quests

OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

So, I broke down and bought OoW, mostly for the Tasks (I still haven't seen any of GoD) and I've now done a few... so... my question to you is, what is the difference between a Task and a Quest?

Is it the time factor?
Is it the fact that you don't get a item reward?
Is it that the Task giver is labeled as a task giver?

What is the difference? I took several tasks (you seem to be able to only get one at a time) and they all were pretty much the same; go find this person, go kill 10 of these, collect 4 of these, explore this location, report back to this person - your done, collect your cash and exp.

Most of the quests are pretty much the same thing, provided you can find them...

so whats the advantage, why is this a selling point for OoW?

I mean, I enjoy them, they are nice and handy, assuming you don't get killed by mobs, while you try and collect your task, but I just don't see this as a feature... something new, this is just a new collection of quests... isn't it?

Tormod, Gnome Mage
Druzzil Ro

----------------------------------------
Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

Comments

• RaolynRaolyn Member Posts: 1

I believe that the task were implemented for the casual solo type player to be able to get more from the game. I could be mistaken.

• ZunaroZunaro Member Posts: 32

Who knows... I don't think I will even buy OoW considering EQ2 is close to launch, I also believe that they made this expansion to get an extra 20 or 30 bucks ( or whatever the cost is, i dont care ) out of players who are going to switch to EQ2.

Without music - life sucks.
    All rights reserved by their respective owners.

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

Yes, I suspect this was a direct result of WoWs questing system.

I've done a few more now, and I'd like to point out one very important point, this is Everquest not Everquest 2.

Now, I went through Allakhazams and was just scrolling through the quests lists and many of them are soloable, whether they were designed that way or not. In fact, I look at the early SK quests (my main is a Shadow Knight), take the quest for the unseen cloak (1 charge of invise, I think). The only part of this I didn't solo, at the level I actually received the quest, was the named mob in Befallen. So, if I'd waited a lvl or three before trying this quest, to get the cloak and the scyth, I could have solo'd this.

So, again, I'm not seeing any difference between "Tasks" and "Quests". I believe, as mentioned that this was indeed, just a marketing ploy. An okay, ploy, but a ploy, none-the-less.

I suspect, this was SOEs answer to single player LDoNs, which they had semi-promised.

I'll prolly never see many of the new zones, or at least not for a long time. But then, as I said, I haven't seen any of the GoD zones, either. But tasks and items and the new lvl cap, new AAs, these all give me something to do and checkout, and I don't have to use the new zones, to do these things, not really <lol>

Tormod, Gnome Mage
    Druzzil Ro

Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• Shagz2001Shagz2001 Member Posts: 11

Definitely a marketing ploy as was mentioned above.  I saw it and was hoping it was a little more like the City of Heroes system.. but nope, like the last 4 "expansions", it's just something sloppily slapped together to bleed more money out of the subscribers.  I actually did 2, and liked them.. then I tried to do a 3rd, and found that there were no other "different" ones available to me after like 90 minutes of searching... blehimage

Shagz
    EverQuest - Saryrn Server... Retired

Shagz
    EverQuest - Shaman, Saryrn Server... Retired
    WoW - Warrior, Alleria Server