Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I know I'm going to get flamed, but I cannot take it anymore:

123457»

Comments

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Skooma2

I.   Your  vs  you're
    your = belonging to you
    you're= contraction for "you are" ( and is different from "your")
    These words are not interchangeable.
    II.  There vs they're vs their
    There = a different place from the one you currently occupy
    They're= contraction for "they are"
    Their= belonging to them

I despise illiteracy or intellectual laziness.  Get it right before your high school English teachers slap your parents.   It takes less than one minute to proofread (you internet generation dancing monkeys might have to look that one up) a post.  I'm not talking about typos here ... I'm talking about selecting the correct word in the first place.  And, please, do not give me that "you know what I mean" crap.  You can point to your mouth and rub your stomach and I know you are hungry ...  But it's still not English.

As some already say, many dont care also many are not from english speaking countrys, not all master english language.

And if you think its not english, why bother then?

Dont read it then simple:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• tucker87tucker87 Member Posts: 34

yea i dont think any1 does

• dakota123dakota123 Member Posts: 93

ok, the next thing here, why the hel are you aquainting Intilect with spelling? does spelling really have anything to do with someones IQ?, and if it does, how?

secondly, language does not always have to stay the same, as you say it does. Language actually splits in o two different languages every few hundred years years, because of so many changed in the, that they basically form  distict languages. Why can't things change?, the world is not gonna wait behind for people who can not comprahend it.

thirdly, i think it funny you saying "you internet generation dancing monkeys", why does the internet generation have to wait behind, and change their ways, for people such as you?

fourthly(i dont even know if thats a word)  why are you saying so many things about the real world, and how we are going to fail in the real world because we don't use proper grammar in forums and in MMO's. people know that they have to spell right on things such as that, and a colladge aplication is something that people do not rush. don't aquaint what peopel do here to real life, as it is not the always case.

why is it though, that so many things are happening in the world, war, famine, drouts, gas prices, political drama, poverty, wellfare, medicare, and yet, Video games, and places like this, which are meant for entertainment, and to get away from the "real world" being censored by people, for how we use grammar of all things. Flaming about Racism, or eing morbid, or threats and idiocy is one thing, but atacking people about Grammar is something else entirely. let people typ how they want, the internet is the ultimate place for free speech. and "free" speech also encompases how you "speek" your speech

• BogSvarogBogSvarog Member Posts: 98

I dont know but, in the real world, the way you present yourself, is very important.

Apart from that, Congratulations on your rant

• nightwing70nightwing70 Member Posts: 142

It probably took 10 ten min to proofread what you wrote to make sure you didn't make any typos ...

• khelscheesekhelscheese Member Posts: 6

ReaD books ^_^ that would be more helpful

• crzybrtndrcrzybrtndr Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

I despise illiteracy or intellectual laziness.  Get it right before your high school English teachers slap your parents.

Most high school English teachers I know teach English grammar badly, Skooma2.

For example, give me the possessive forms of the following nouns:

Woman

Women

Chris

Socrates

Fonz

James

Jesus

Hobbes

It

Their

Brother

Brothers

To date, no high school English teacher I have met can use the apostrophe correctly in all the above cases.

Oooh! I can do it!

Woman's

Women's

Chris'

Socrates'

Fonz's or Fonz' is acceptable

James'

Jesus'

Hobbes'

Its

Theirs

Brother's

Brothers'

I will definitely agree the quality of teaching has taken a sad turn for the worse in the last few years.  However, the quality of students (generally speaking, there are exceptions, of course) has also gone down. 

In these days when students have more power and rights than the teachers, walk into school with weapons, and have an overall lack of respect for anyone (including themselves), I can't say I blame our educators for not giving a damn.  They only start making decent money after they've been teaching for 15 years and by that time they probably can't stand to look at another obnoxious little twit who thinks they're hot shit.

If you want to see an improvement in our education system, you need to start with the students.  In order to improve the students, you have to get parents to actually act like parents and teach their kids some proper respect and manners.  Sadly, I doubt we'll see that any time soon.

no, actually i never proofread anything except inportant things such as school papers.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

This is such a silly thread. My sister was valedictorian of her class in college,  but yet I saw her  type" OWn3d you n00borz" lmao.

Originally posted by deviliscious

This is such a silly thread. My sister was valedictorian of her class in college,  but yet I saw her  type" OWn3d you n00borz" lmao.

exactly!, just because people type like that does not mean they type like that all the time.

and normally i don't get worked up in threads, but two things that make me mad, are people who act like elitists and fanbois.(and yes, for some reason, people spell "boys" bois when you say that)

it is like taking parts of life out of context, and using it towards others as a weapon. and that is not a good thing. we don't want to turn these forums into the government 0_o

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by ArchAngel102

Unfortunately for you, society is always changing because thats what humans do. It's a human thing.
    Eventually the entire english language will be in two forms. Street talk and "Proper English".
    99% of people will speak regular english, a.k.a. City speak.
    You're, Your, Their, They're, There- will all melt and form the same word because people decide it's more productive, efficient, easier, and thusly a superior language to get rid of the 3 words to form only one.
    New words will form, the language itself will change, and eventually it'll be an entirely different language.
    "Yo pops chummer lets go blitz and frag there glitches!"
    or perhaps a step back in time in addition to the future "Ye olde Frag Face"

If this bothers you... you're not really in for it in the future. It already has happened, is happening, and proper english is a minority in the world. The vast majority of people dont know or care about "There they're or their" nor do the vast majority of people even speak english. In fact... in other languages....
    Thy lv t vwls nd dnt hv ny vwls n thr wrds.
    In fact... with the invention of the internet and the language of Script (such as Arabic) there are already brand new languages that have formed. Arabic language is typed in english letters as it is spoken. So to say "love you" you could type bahebek bhbk bhebek.
    This could happen to english just as easily as arabic. Imagine an internet world where there is no proper language, but only typing the sounds of your language.
    I allweys go tu MMORPG.COM to reed the forumms.

If you really can't take people not understanding complex english- you're really in for it because most of the entire world is against you. Just about every other language, anyone who isn't highly educated in English Grammar, anyone with English as a second language, etc. etc.
    And yes, surprisingly the vast majority of the world actually DOES exist outside of the USA and high-strung grammar nazi socialites.

Although I hate you for being right, you're right.

The English we speak now is not the English spoken 100 or even 10 years ago and will not be the same English spoken 10 years in the future. Regretfully, there's nothing we can do to change it.

You've got to understand something here, people; those who speak 'net speak will eventually being running the world.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• Morrigan7Morrigan7 Member Posts: 39

I.   Your  vs  you're
    your = belonging to you
    Their= belonging to them

I despise illiteracy or intellectual laziness.  Get it right before your high school English teachers slap your parents.   It takes less than one minute to proofread (you internet generation dancing monkeys might have to look that one up) a post.  I'm not talking about typos here ... I'm talking about selecting the correct word in the first place.  And, please, do not give me that "you know what I mean" crap.  You can point to your mouth and rub your stomach and I know you are hungry ...  But it's still not English.

Bravo!! The dumbing down of America has taken hold, unless someone says something about it we'll be back in the caveman era once again.

• BelsamethBelsameth Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by Illius

Originally posted by Solude

Get over it.  Those that make these mistakes probably speak english as a second or third language.  I'd bet their french, german, korean... is better than yours 

English is my third language.  Though I do tend to make mistakes now and again I take every effort to fix it.  I learned it properly and I'd at least expect others of the same situation to do so.  However for those living overseas in countries where English is not the first or even second language I can somewhat understand.

I fully agree. (It's my second language tho. Not my 3rd).

Small grammar or spelling mistakes... *shrug* but to mess up basic stuff like their and they're is just beyond sloppy. Especially if english is your first language.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

I.   Your  vs  you're
    your = belonging to you
    Their= belonging to them

Perhaps I'll wax pedantic too.  Let me summarize the "illiteracy" and "intellectual laziness" in your post.  You have a grasp on the English language equivalent to your average American high school graduate, and for this, you applaud yourself.  Your writing displays numerous small or major errors which a rigorous editing process would point out.

To begin with, this kind of list should be bulleted.  Yes, there is proper usage for lists, and this is not it.  Next, there should be a period following vs in each case (vs. as opposed to vs).  Yes, that is the only acceptable spelling.  Third, you could easily have written out any of those points as complete sentences without them being overly long or cumbersome, but you didn't, out of laziness.  This kind of list should be your second choice if a more complete form of expression is doable.  Those are only the errors in the list.

For the paragraph, I will ignore flow problems and deal only with grammatical errors.  Using ellipses to indicate a pause is now starting to become acceptable usage, seen even in a few reputable grammar guides, but you're not using it to indicate a pause.  Instead, each ellipsis takes the place of more appropriate punctuation.  I will post corrected versions below.

You can point to your mouth and rub your stomach, and I will know you are hungry, but it's still not English.

I'm not talking about typos here; I'm talking about selecting the correct word.

I could go on and detail more subtle errors, but I won't.  These are the ones which are undeniably wrong, and the others, like your problem with building sentences, are more subjective considerations.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Plus, spelling things wrong on the internet just makes gamers look bad.  I mean I can understand the slip here and there, but come on!

Here's to better grammar for gamers!

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds