Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ROSE Online: Correspondent Going F2P

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com ROSE correspondent Brian Rodgers pens this article about ROSE Online and the recent switch over to a free to play format.

I started ROSE Online a few days ago as it interested me quite a long while back; the trailer is what caught my eye then. Now, with it going Free-to-play, it really attracted my attention, as I knew it was Pay-to-play before hand. So, I decided to try it out. I jumped right in and, after reading on the classes a bit, decided to make a Soldier Build, more on the offensive side.

Now, for those of you whom haven't heard of or played this game, it functions like Ragnarok, Maple Story and a few other games for its class selection; you pick your class in game at X level; for this game, 10. The other part also familiar in it is the fact that you pick your stats rather than having them added to this and that automatically. I found that you pick up a Ton of extra items for crafting in this game, and they can (Most of the time) Be sold for lots of extra cash; glue, for instance, a lowbie level drop, which can be found off of even the most low level bad guys, sells for up to around 50,000 Zulie (In-game currency). Now, why is this you may ask? Well, I went into a long interview with a player (AbsentVoid) and got quite a bit of Information.

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• centrik91centrik91 Member Posts: 175

Interesting article, and a nice read.

I have similar sentiments about the game.   I tried it a few years back and was quite interested, but once I saw it was P2P, I kind of backed away.  Sure it looked good, but I figured if I was going to pay, I might as well stick to WoW or EVE.

I'm downloading the client as I type this and am going to try the game again.

• netranger28netranger28 Member Posts: 6

This game died a year and a half ago. Going F2P has been the precursor of the soon to follow doom. Enjoy it while it last. Have to give credit to the people who run this game, for not jumping ship or just giving up on it. I guess that must count for something.

• r1pperr1pper Member Posts: 1

this game aint going anywhere updates are becoming more and more and things are now getting done with the new DEV team. F2P was to bring in new and fresh blood .

blame the ex DEV team for almost killing it though.

• khal534khal534 Member Posts: 2

if anyone had done research they would have known that rose  online had a free to play clone the same the pay to play was on,they probably lost business since the F2P version was better,and had a larger community.. its had updates tooo. so its to late for it to go to F2P..

KBZ

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by khal534

if anyone had done research they would have known that rose  online had a free to play clone the same the pay to play was on,they probably lost business since the F2P version was better,and had a larger community.. its had updates tooo. so its to late for it to go to F2P..

What do you mean a free to play clone?  I only know about ROSE Online.  And private servers are not the same as a clone.  Personally I think this game may have lost a lot of business in the past, however this is a new leaf for the game.  F2P MMOs have an audience just like every other game.  Just look at how many people play the god-awful game called Fly For Fun...

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by BlueCadwal

What do you mean a free to play clone?  I only know about ROSE Online.  And private servers are not the same as a clone.  Personally I think this game may have lost a lot of business in the past, however this is a new leaf for the game.  F2P MMOs have an audience just like every other game.  Just look at how many people play the god-awful game called Fly For Fun...

actually... I remember hearing about ROSE going F2P a while back, so when i saw this,  it made me go WTF cause i already thought it was F2P, unless this person was a little late to that party and just now learned about it lol

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

actually... I remember hearing about ROSE going F2P a while back, so when i saw this,  it made me go WTF cause i already thought it was F2P, unless this person was a little late to that party and just now learned about it lol

I know the SEA/Oceanic version (blocked to the US) went F2P about a year ago, this is the first time I heard about the US ROSE going F2P.  I don't mind though, I'd like to play it again.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Cursedsei

I know the SEA/Oceanic version (blocked to the US) went F2P about a year ago, this is the first time I heard about the US ROSE going F2P.  I don't mind though, I'd like to play it again.

ahhh, i was never really interested in the game so I didnt know that was the version that went F2P lol

• ChainmailChainmail Member Posts: 173

I think he is talking about the F2P version in the Phillipines that was run by (Level Up???) games. I tried it and did like it, however I quit because the PH version was simply not stable. I got alot of disconnects and lag. Also, the grind there was terrible.

I too would consider trying this game again in a NA version if the servers are stable and they have less grind via more xp bonuses. Grinding for days on end to get a level is not fun.

• keslerikesleri Member Posts: 127

Very good game, BUT this game is 100% not compatible with VISTA, if you want to play this game and have Windows Vista installed then just skip it.

• redavniredavni Member Posts: 72

As for this being a grind game, I can't say it is. I was leveling so fast that I was way overpowered for all the quests I did. I became annoyed at having to assign my new stat and skill points so often that I just quit assigning them around level 15.

• EthecoEtheco Member UncommonPosts: 13

Although i got bored of ROSE when i tryed it awhile back, i must say this article defaintly will fill people in. This game can be alot of fun if its your type of game ;). *duh*. but anyway nice detaild article.