Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want the greatest game of your life?

HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

Well then,

I suppose you thought that i would be advertising for the newest, latest and greatest thing.  Nope.

The sole reason I posted this was to inspire some of you gamers/geeks/family people out there that just cant seem to get enough out of every MMO they play.

It is not a company's responsibility to make the gaming community happy;  just as it is not the responsibility of the basketball court, goal and bleachers to make a basketball player happy.

If we as a community cannot find a common ground with one another and learn to enjoy any environment, together as gamers/people,  we will never be happy no matter what game we play.

As a few  examples:

The very next time you get a chance to beta something, try to provide input - not see the game before other people so you have an advantage over people you truly don't need an advantage over but instead.. need their companionship to make a quality gaming experience that starts with virtual friendships rather than - competition.

Grouping is a form of bonding or should be.  It is not taking time out of what you want to be doing to advance.  It is your opportunity to take advantage of what online gaming has to offer uniquely.  Don't grind your life away, help others and help yourself by not getting cause up in what you can get - but what you can give.

It is very positive to request things of game companies, just don't expect it because they owe you nothing.  You chose to buy or not buy what they are selling.

You are not better than the person across the world from you who is playing the same game as you.  No matter ho hard you grind or the people you join with or ignore equally , there is only one reason you are online instead of on a console game - community.

You make the world you live in, take responsibility for it and make it your own.  Help others and reap the rewards.

The underlying cause of so many discontent people in the MMO genre is due soley to the fact they they themselves have such a hard time working with one another to make a strong community in whatever game they choose.  You can play the worst game out there with good friends and still have a good time - this should tell us all something.

So the next time you see the "newb" in chat that doesn't know how to do things, or the solo adventurer in your guild asking for soemone to group wth because he is bored;  take some time out and make a friend, help a fellow gamer and enjoy the pleasant surprise that is a good gaming experience and community that you built without even knowing it.

I had more to say but I don't want this to take long since most people don't have the attention span "like myself".  Good gaming people.  Here's to new friends from all over the world.

Playing: Nothing
Retired:Too many to list.

Comments

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141

So your point is: you customers shouldn't get the game you want, you should get whatever the developers are good enough to take your money for? Interesting approach.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by hubertgrove

So your point is: you customers shouldn't get the game you want, you should get whatever the developers are good enough to take your money for? Interesting approach.

Interesting indeed.i'd have sweared my boredom was becouse game devs only focus on milking the money cow to the last drop releasing generic clone after generic clone,strictly following the same pattern WoW and L2 made popular and not changing a single comma of it.

but thanks to the OP's post now i see all the blame is on me

• XxeonXxeon Member Posts: 559

1 reason why swgprecu, was good and ffxi is still a good game with 500k active subs.

wow only gets it because its a simple game to play..

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by arcdevil

Originally posted by hubertgrove

Interesting indeed.i'd have sweared my boredom was becouse game devs only focus on milking the money cow to the last drop releasing generic clone after generic clone,strictly following the same pattern WoW and L2 made popular and not changing a single comma of it.

but thanks to the OP's post now i see all the blame is on me

I thought my discontent was all these games that have come out hyped with really innovative features, end up being broken and empty of content. Releasing advertising content that never made into the game and having done everything they could to hide how bad the game is.

I'm glad to know that the problem is that I shouldn't of ever expected to not be lied to, frauded and taken advantage of. Now I know we should just continue handing money over to anyone with a sales pitch and be happy about it.

I must of missed it and the OP was actually being sarcastic . That has to be it.

• dalevi11dalevi11 Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by HardwareGuy

The sole reason I posted this was to inspire some of you gamers/geeks/family people out there that just cant seem to get enough out of every MMO they play. Here it comes.
    It is not a company's responsibility to make the gaming community happy;  just as it is not the responsibility of the basketball court, goal and bleachers to make a basketball player happy.
    Actually, it is the management's job to make sure the hoop is 10' high, the floor is properly treated, the fans are fun but not a threat, and the refs are clean. I don't know what level of basketball you watch, but I assume if I am paying for a ticket to see a basketball game (college or pro), it is quality.
    If we as a community cannot find a common ground with one another and learn to enjoy any environment, together as gamers/people,  we will never be happy no matter what game we play.
    Have you played some of these games? 9/10 are complete and utter pits. I mean really, I played Zelda on the NES in the 80's. Some of these games come from the same cloth. I give UO a pass. The rest?
    As a few  examples:
    The very next time you get a chance to beta something, try to provide input - not see the game before other people so you have an advantage over people you truly don't need an advantage over but instead.. need their companionship to make a quality gaming experience that starts with virtual friendships rather than - competition.
    I have only burn one beta, and I have played several. This one had it coming. Note to developers, don't do your first and only "open beta" two weeks before launch.
    Grouping is a form of bonding or should be.  It is not taking time out of what you want to be doing to advance.  It is your opportunity to take advantage of what online gaming has to offer uniquely.  Don't grind your life away, help others and help yourself by not getting cause up in what you can get - but what you can give.
    I am a Level 80 Tree-Hugger.
    It is very positive to request things of game companies, just don't expect it because they owe you nothing.  You chose to buy or not buy what they are selling.
    No, they owe us a playable game. If they expect us to care more than 30 days, they owe us a deep game. Look at the feature list from AoC three months before launch, or look at the feature list of Vanguard before launch. Tell me again that they met the expectations they set for their customers? I hate to break this to you, sometimes players just buy games based on promises. The Industry seems to tolerate lies and failure, do you? Note: I haven't played either game, and although I hate the user who defends mediocrity, I feel bad for the bloke who blew $50-60 on a sham. It's bad for the industry.
    You are not better than the person across the world from you who is playing the same game as you.  No matter ho hard you grind or the people you join with or ignore equally , there is only one reason you are online instead of on a console game - community.
    Some people are just their to pwn, rip off, cheat, script, macro, sploit, and suck. No reason needed. If the game allows it, these people will always be around. You have heard of Lineage 2, right?
    You make the world you live in, take responsibility for it and make it your own.  Help others and reap the rewards.
    If the game responds to this system, it might happen.
    The underlying cause of so many discontent people in the MMO genre is due soley to the fact they they themselves have such a hard time working with one another to make a strong community in whatever game they choose.  You can play the worst game out there with good friends and still have a good time - this should tell us all something.
    It should tell us that my friend and I can log off of a game that is a piece in two seconds, and still be friends. If the game sucks, we don't make new friends. That is the responsibility of the developer, NOT ME.
    So the next time you see the "newb" in chat that doesn't know how to do things, or the solo adventurer in your guild asking for soemone to group wth because he is bored;  take some time out and make a friend, help a fellow gamer and enjoy the pleasant surprise that is a good gaming experience and community that you built without even knowing it.
    Okay, now we are FINALLY (holy cow) to the heart of it. Help the noob, and don't be a jerk. I support this, unless it's a free for all pvp server. I hate them, so I do my bit by killing every noob in sight to make a point to companies how easy it is to turn off a new customer in 60 seconds.
    I had more to say but I don't want this to take long since most people don't have the attention span "like myself".  Good gaming people.  Here's to new friends from all over the world.
     Good Gaming.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

If I buy a game, I expect that game to work and deliver the features advertised.   If it does and I still don't enjoy the game, that's my problem.  If I pay for a subscription, I expect a working service that lives up to the promises advertised.  If they keep to their word and I still find myself not liking the game, again that would be my problem.  So, yeah, they kind of do owe me something once they take my money.

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

Who wouldn't want the best game.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• fordzillafordzilla Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 100

Well then,
    I suppose you thought that i would be advertising for the newest, latest and greatest thing.  Nope.
    The sole reason I posted this was to inspire some of you gamers/geeks/family people out there that just cant seem to get enough out of every MMO they play.
    As a few  examples:
    Waiting on War!

lol.

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

Nice to see that so many already missed the point ...

I was speaking generally about responsibility.

I was trying to get gamers to make their game a little better by focusing inward some but I guess I expected too much from such a bitter community.

Anyone with some intelligence actually get the point of my post or just stop at the first paragraph?

• LeasaLeasa Member Posts: 449

The OP has some valid points. 

Regardless of the quality or lack thereof in a game, we don't have to be jerks.

I played AO from the start.  It was a disaster as anyone who was there will tell you.  But we did not turn on each other.  We helped each other and laughed about the bugs.  Also we did not "gank" people to show our displeasure.

Oh well, times change.

Support Bacteria, its the only culture some people have.

• grimmbotgrimmbot Member Posts: 302

This is why you're being mocked.

You raise some decent points -- many people take the wrong approach to grouping and beta testing, an overbearing "cut down trees without planting seeds" mindset by some players, stupid anti-newb sentiment -- but you come to a wild conclusion.

There's only one reason a group of friends would hang out and play a bad game together -- and that's to make fun of how bad it is. If you're playing a tabletop game, then that's great. If you paid $50 for the game and $15/month on top of that? For each person? Mmm... not-so-much.

If you and your buddies were trying to figure out whose house is perfect for an IRL weekly Friday night poker game, you're going to gather in the house that offers you the best environment: plenty of space, no other crowds around to interfere, etc. The game environment has an awful lot to do with how the community develops.

You're right in one way though: It's not the companies' responsibility to ensure our happiness -- that's the job of the consumer.

People in general DO make their own gaming experience, but it's limited by the game's fun factor. It can  make a good game better, but it won't turn a bad game into a decent one, or a decent game into a good one.

• _Seeker_Seeker Member Posts: 175

I was trying to get gamers to make their game a little better by focusing inward some but I guess I expected too much from such a bitter community.
    Anyone with some intelligence actually get the point of my post or just stop at the first paragraph?

Ahh yes. Responsibility. The sucker word.

Bitterness? Or not lead as easily in the past?

So cut to the chase. Tell me how much money I will have to spend to reach an inner peace?

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Why so defensive?  I read your post and posted the bit I disagreed with.  Maybe it's more likely that the people reading it ARE intelligent and your lyrical waxing was badly worded. 

Nice to see all the  responses.  I see where a lot of you are coming from.  I just wish we as a community could come together a little more and make these games mean more than just pixels for pleasure.  I didnt mean to insult anyones intelligence , I was just venting a little. 

Again, thanks for the input and I love being a part of what we all do and want here from this genre.  This is our house and we should protect it and sweep it appropriately.

To add:

How many of you would be interested in funding and or contributing intellectually to a game made by us.. for us..?   This idea has been plaguing me lately and i think it would be possible if enough people got fed up with mediocrity.   How feasible is something like this ?

• TecknicTecknic Member Posts: 458

I didn't want to butt in here, but I have to say something on this point.  Because, unless I'm mistaken, basketball players are not paying the court to play on it.  This really seems like a completely out-of-place analogy.

MMO players, at least ones in pay-to-play games, are paying customers who will generally be more then happy to take their business elsewhere if they feel that the company making their game is ignoring their wants and needs.  Games with the steadfast, unwavering "our product is perfect as is and if you don't like it then you can take your money and leave" generally tend to collapse in on themselves.  It has happened to a number of other businesses outside of MMO-land.  The best of the MMORPGs (seriously, just about any one that's thriving,) tend to be the ones that listen to the players and give their concerns real consideration.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Played: Champions Online, CoX, STO, PSO, WoW, lots of free-to-play crap
    Looking Forward To: DC Universe Online, Blade and Soul

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

OP, don't expect to get very much sympathy. The people here are extremely jaded and cynical. I understand your point, and I agree that many gamers view anything (such as grouping or community building) that takes away from them being the best as a waste of time. This is an unfortunate truth, hopefully we get more people like you here.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

To add:
    How many of you would be interested in funding and or contributing intellectually to a game made by us.. for us..?   This idea has been plaguing me lately and i think it would be possible if enough people got fed up with mediocrity.   How feasible is something like this ?

"Too many cooks spoil the broth." If you make people believe they have direct control over a game, they will do everything in their power to ruin it for themselves. Most of the people who would participate in such a project would focus solely on making ways for them to "pwn hard!!11!" and ignore everything that makes a game truly fun. The people we would need to do such a project successfully won't care, because they are already enjoying whatever they are playing.

It's a self-defeating concept, and not one that is likely to go far.

• gaiusmariusgaiusmarius Member UncommonPosts: 39

I've always provided input to games I've played. But many games these days are just out there to get money.

A game made by us, for us. Good idea, but there'd be so many ways to go wrong.

[Playing] SW:ToR
    [Played] AoC, WoW, Rift, EQ 1, 2, SWG, DAoC, WAR, GW1, EVE, PotBS.
    [Watching] GW2, Archage

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo there is no game?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

To add:

It already exists, a game made entirely by players and is 100% free to play.  They actually have a forum on this website, and you can read more about them here.

www.planeshift.it/about.html

Now, back to your OP. At several times you mentioned that the main point to these games is that community trumps all, playing with friends is whats really important, and its not the content that really matters.

I have to disagree with you.  Honestly, I'm basically anti-social. I don't have much use for other people outside a very small, trusted group of friends. and while I'm willing to let each person live their own life (or gaming life), I'd prefer not to interact with the "community" all that much.

I never stay with one guild like some folks for years, (though I've been a member of some for many years) nor with one game.  I play the game I like want, and never worry what game my guild(s) are playing.  If they happen to match up, then I play with one of them, and if not, I play the game and find a new guild to be part of.

For me it is all about the content, its the only reason I play these games.  Once I've exhausted my fun in them, I move on, could care less about who is still playing in my guild or friends list.

Sure, playing with friends makes these games good for you... me I'd prefer to prey on people if it was all the same.... guess thats why I like EVE, because it lets you do such things. 

Yet strangely enough, I'm a carebear at heart, and generally leave other folks alone, but I do appreciate the freedom of choice that I am given to pursue my own course, whatever that may be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I get your point there.  I don't care what motivates people to play  and yes we all deserve a good game.  

I think the main theme of my post was to put out there, the fact that we as gamers could get more out of MMos if we would bond with one another more instead of fighting amongst one another.  

This post proves the flaws that exist in our society as a whole...    i don't believe in world peace but i believe us gamers would reach it first if it was at all possible.  I love anarchy and chaos as much as the next guy but there has to be a time when you make camp and commune with your brethren.  Lets pitch a tent  right?

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

Do you know how they decided to cut 4 classes in WAR? They have software running in the beta that collects stats on what the players do. They say that people didn't play those four classes as long as the otehr 20, indicating they weren't fun.

Not that people weren't "testing" those characters as much, they weren't playing them. You might want to reconsider your ideas about what people need to do in  a beta.

For the majority of beta testers, all you need to do is play the game, and that generates useful data for the devs. You're providing a service to the devs because you're willing to play a buggy incomplete game. If your incentive to do that is to get a head start figuring out the quests and what not, that's fine.

• Order66Order66 Member Posts: 28

Pre CU SWG

none other

• dalevi11dalevi11 Member Posts: 53

I obviously read the whole thing, and I am sorry, it came off as more a "don't blame the dev" post.