Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealing with Wife/GF aggro during Play sessions

Comments

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Lucky for me I met my gf the first night at uni took her home... ya know next day found out shes into gaming shouted 'SCORE' and stayed with her from then on.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

I started gaming back in '98 with UO. I was prolly doin about 6 hours each evening. My wife worked nights, I work days. Kept me occupied till she got home.  Now with 5 kids I don't spend as much time gaming...about 3 or 4 hours on n off threwout the day.

She don't complain . I don't ignore my work or what is goin on at home. My gaming time gives her full controle of the TV remote....

• melmoth1melmoth1 Member Posts: 762

My wife is a Japanese "otaku" so she understands the burn of a gamer, even though she doesn't like the games I play.

However, the expression "I'm in an instance" really pisses her off and now if I need something from her and she can't be arsed helping me, she says (yep you've guessed it), "I'm sorry, I'm in an instance."

Regards

Melmoth

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by melmoth1

My wife is a Japanese "otaku" so she understands the burn of a gamer, even though she doesn't like the games I play.
    However, the expression "I'm in an instance" really pisses her off and now if I need something from her and she can't be arsed helping me, she says (yep you've guessed it), "I'm sorry, I'm in an instance."
    Regards
    Melmoth

LOL that is tooo funny!

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    Originally posted by melmoth1

Regards
    Melmoth

Oh, I loved that! 

My husband and I both played games and were active on computers well before meeting.  We don't always play the same games at the same time, in fact we rarely do, but we never argue about games or time spent doing what we like individually.  Once in great while I get a wee bit annoyed with all the concerts he goes to - that's an interest we don't share anymore.  While I enjoy music quite a lot, I worked for ages in artist management and had my fill of attending concerts.  Leaving that horrible and cut throat industry coupled with being knocked out cold by an empty vodka bottle at a Slayer concert years ago,  (I've been injured at three different concerts!) ended what ever interest I had in that.  He seems to have at least one concert every months - sometimes several, and sometimes they're quite far away.   He loves them, though, and I accept he probably always will, and we spend a LOT of time together doing other things.

Having said all that, we've been married almost 15 years and there's no sign of wear and tear on the marriage.  In fact, we have yet to have our first real fight! 

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210

I have to play pretty casually, my gf hates me playing while she's around (understandably I suppose). Getting her into an MMO really isn't an option unfortunately, she thinks I'm incredibly sad for playing them and has no interest at all in computer gaming full stop. Gf-swap ftw? Maybe not, she's pretty hot.

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

Ive learned to throw my game time on the back burner, its not all that important to me anymore.

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

I bought mine a Wii... and guitar hero, and smash bros, and mario kart.

and a DS... she'll spend hours on brain age.

god bless Nintendo and their cute games.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

Introduce your gf to mmorpgs but be careful to emphasize the aspects that will appeal to her rather than you. For example don't be going "look at my uber death dealer with his sword of fantasticness cabable of murdering to death anyone in his path!", these are blokey things. Emphasize the questing/puzzles, chatting/community, collecting/gethering aspects. Many mmorpgs have enough different aspects that they will have some appeal to people with totally different ideas of entertainment.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I would like to thank you all for the wonderful posts.

I enjoyed this thread very much and hope to hear from more players.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• onlinenow225onlinenow225 Member Posts: 381

I dont know about you guys, but i usually just played when my ex wasnt around.  I guess if you live your with your wife/gf its a bit different. 

Try talking with her and asking her when it would anger when you play your video games.   Such as when i went to my ex's house and she wanted to clean (i usualy helped) and i didnt help i would play games then.

Or when she was watching tv i would go do something else, because frankly i don't like tv and think its a huge waste of time. 

But the key to anything would be just talking with her about it.  And if you want to get her to try video games out of any sort samething, just talk to her.

Now you maybe wondering if games had anything to do with her being my ex.   Well no she's just a little girl of 20 years of age.  Not yet ready for anything but a guy to push around. 

• JoloJolo Member Posts: 167

I havent introduced my GF into playing MMOs because im scared she calls me a nerd and doesnt like me the way she used to. She doesnt know i play MMOs sometimes when we dont see each others lol.  Would be cool to play MMOs with a gf tho :D

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I'm lucky. I'm kind of jerk, and I tell her to leave me alone. Sometimes she does. Other times she sits and nags me for what seems like eternity. I figure she just wasted precious moments of her life nagging me, so I won in the end.

• Tuck2000Tuck2000 Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by Sunrider

2nd That and I also got my wife hooked on Bigfish games and MSN games.  Hell shes online more then me now.

• mpl1979mpl1979 Member Posts: 12

My gf really have no idea why I like computergames, but she accepts it. Actually, I have never really questioned my right to play and neither has she.

She can watch tv, read or whatever she likes and I can play computergames. Of course we spend a lot of time together too, but that is really what we both want.
    Some time for yourself is imo very important in any relationsship, and just as I have no right to decide what she should be doing in her own time, she has no right to tell me not to play computer games in my time.

• Tachikoma00Tachikoma00 Member Posts: 49

It's simply about hobbies for my wife and I. She likes to read, and I like to game. Personally I don't like "gamer" chicks, as I've never met one that was attractive in any sense of the word. And the "attractive" ones I have met simply suck and do it just for attention. So staying with that experience I'm glad my wife has a different hobby than myself. We still make plenty of time for each other so it works out fine.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    Originally posted by Tachikoma00

It's simply about hobbies for my wife and I. She likes to read, and I like to game. Personally I don't like "gamer" chicks, as I've never met one that was attractive in any sense of the word. And the "attractive" ones I have met simply suck and do it just for attention. So staying with that experience I'm glad my wife has a different hobby than myself. We still make plenty of time for each other so it works out fine.

Maybe the attractive ones just avoid you! 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by Tuck2000

Originally posted by Sunrider

2nd That and I also got my wife hooked on Bigfish games and MSN games.  Hell shes online more then me now.

I'll third this one.  My wife-to-be was an old SNES player.  When we first were together she absolutely hated when I spent time playing games.. she would get really upset if I spent more then an hour online.  She didn't understand why I couldn't just *pause* the game and come back to it later.

My ex GF hated it too, and one thing they both hated is if I stayed up while they were sleeping to play something.  Logically it makes sense to play while they're sleeping, but for some reason women just hate that. 

Thanks to the Wii though she has donkey kong country 3.... which she rocks at somehow, and mario kart, she also has been benefiting lately by me not playing games cause theres nothing good out. right now.

• Tachikoma00Tachikoma00 Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Signe

Originally posted by Tachikoma00

Maybe the attractive ones just avoid you! 

More like most gamers are pathetic virgins and have ridiculously low standards on who/what they think is attractive. haha

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by maskedweasel
    Originally posted by Tuck2000
    Originally posted by Sunrider I bought mine a Wii... and guitar hero, and smash bros, and mario kart.
    2nd That and I also got my wife hooked on Bigfish games and MSN games. Hell shes online more then me now.

I'll third this one. My wife-to-be was an old SNES player. When we first were together she absolutely hated when I spent time playing games.. she would get really upset if I spent more then an hour online. She didn't understand why I couldn't just *pause* the game and come back to it later.
    My ex GF hated it too, and one thing they both hated is if I stayed up while they were sleeping to play something. Logically it makes sense to play while they're sleeping, but for some reason women just hate that.
    Thanks to the Wii though she has donkey kong country 3.... which she rocks at somehow, and mario kart, she also has been benefiting lately by me not playing games cause theres nothing good out. right now.

Dont spoil her now by not playing games cause there's nothing good out!! Bad things will happen otherwise!! (especially when fable 2 or spore or star wars: force unleashed comes out!)

Also, mine got over the playing while she sleeps. Shes a morning person and I'm a night owl. I told her if she doesn't like me doing this while she sleeps she should stay up later... that ended that argument real quick.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• matthewf978matthewf978 Member Posts: 287

Avoiddance is more effective than mitigation. However, considering you are already in the maelstrom I suggest that you create a schedule(and sign off on it if necessary). It might sound silly, but so is interruptions from your gaming experience.

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

My wife is pretty understanding unless I spend too much time gaming and not enough time doing other important stuff (which sometimes happens). She likes games like Scrabulous, so while she's not a hardcore gamer, she's at least gamer friendly.

My ex absolutely hated gaming. If I played for more than an hour at a time, I was "wasting time." It didn't help that we had dial-up and she wanted to get online and shop when I wanted to play Asheron's Call. I've got to say I'm glad I got far, far away from her.

I'd have to say that gaming, like everything in a relationship, is a compromise. Provided your significant other respects you enough to leave you alone during gaming downtime, you should be man enough to stop playing when real-life things come up. Unfortunately, for every egocentric, close-minded girl there's also a gamer guy who's abandoned all real-world responsibility so he can be l33t in a fantasy world.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

First wife - required constant attention so me playing hours upon hours of SSI "gold box" games like "Pool Of Radiance" and "Curse Of The Azure Bonds" probably didn't help an already doomed marriage.

Current Wife - I explained to her while we were dating what my hobbies were and that I had no intention of changing - ever.

I did this so she would know what she was getting into.

We have been married for 16 years now and she has never said one word about my gaming.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• AxumAxum Member Posts: 891

whoo gj man :)

hopefully i wont have that trouble when the time comes for me >.<

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Chiram

Let this be a lesson to you. If you are a gamer, and your wife isn't, they...WILL...NEVER...UNDERSTAND. You are screwed, this is why you find a female gamer, problem solved. Either ditch the gaming, or the wife... you can't have both unless you find a miracle.
    Bottom line is this, if they are too stubborn to understand that you LOVE gaming and refuse to allow you a few hours here and there, then ditch them, honestly... you are better off with someone else. if someone is not willing to understand something so simple then they just are not worth the investment. If they refuse to give you the time, you refuse the same back. Marriage/relationships are a take and give, not a take take on the females side. Too many women today are grossly selfish in this manner and you need to set them straight early.

Yeah i told my GF that im with right now from day one. Im a gamer, always will be one, and am never going to change. She I think didn't believe it at first thinking i would change but now i think she is understanding me more and realizes that gaming isn't leaving me anytime soon or ever for that matter.