Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a thread suggestion to the Mods

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

When someone posts a thread that is against the RoC, can you guys just delete the post and lock the thread versus deleting the entire thread? (like we used to do)

You're killing everyone's rating when you delete an entire thread since all of us takes a 10-15 point drop per post deletion.

For example, when someone posts a link about winning a new xbox and I reply "that isn't allowed here; you may want to review the RoC." Then the OP replies "oh, Im sorry I didn't know that." And then I reply, "yeah, just be careful about stuff like that," when you delete the entire posts, the system thinks that I received two infractions because you deleted two of my posts. Two infractions means Im gonna drop down to one star yet again and all my drops have been because of this same thing; for now on, I wont post to help the new members but Im going to remain quiet because my helping will cause my rating to suffer.  Not that I really put high regards in my rating; it's just a little annoying to see my points drop when I report the actual thread and I try to help the new member.

Just maybe a hint for the future; if someone posts something against the RoC, just delete the offensive post and lock the thread. Don't delete EVERYTHING. It punishes those who are trying to show the new members what the RoC is all about.

And I post this here versus site suggestion because Mods hardly ever visit the site suggestion area.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

I agree.

Same goes for when you quote someone breaking the rules, both posts end up getting deleted, which brings my rank down.  They should just mod edit my post instead, so I don't lose those shiny stars...

Rank isn't really that big of a deal, but I miss the 5 stars I once had a long, long time ago....

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

En1gma...I have no idea why you are not a mod anymore, but my guess would be:

You're too bright to be a mod!  :P

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

aye

most mods will delete the offensive post and then goes into your post and edit the quote. Some mods will do that for you, some mods are just "lazy" (not to sound mean) and just delete every post with the offensive quotes. Its not really lazy...its just that they dont feel like going into your post and editing it when they can just click "delete."

It all depends on the Mod really. When I used to Mod I would shoot a PM to the guy who quoted the offensive post and tell them they should edit the quote. If they dont respond in a few hours I went ahead and deleted that post too (this was back when we did not go into people's post and typed <mod edited>, we just had that nifty POST DELETED stamp lol (which is much better than todays standards :) ).

What I learned is NEVER quote anyone that may be reported because you never know which Mod you'll get lol

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by Anofalye

En1gma...I have no idea why you are not a mod anymore, but my guess would be:

You're too bright to be a mod!  :P

lol. Thanks for the encouragement! But we do have Kunou as our Community Manager. He's world class. You wont get a better community manager, guaranteed.

great, now they moved it to site suggestions...now no one will see it lol >.<

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Personally, I have zero faith in the abilities of the moderators these days.

I recently used a phrase from a well known comedy show in England as a response to a thread and got a warning for it.

Still, ignorance is bliss, eh? lol

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Enigma
    Well, changes/suggestions for moderation policy are better suited for "site suggestions"-section. Besides mods cannot change the policy on their own, Kunou has to change it if/when needed.
    Originally posted by darwa

I recently used a phrase from a well known comedy show in England as a response to a thread and got a warning for it.

well, have faith now. Old community manager is gone and Kunou is now the community manager. He's a pretty decent guy.

Originally posted by JelloB2000

Well, changes/suggestions for moderation policy are better suited for "site suggestions"-section. Besides mods cannot change the policy on their own, Kunou has to change it if/when needed.

So it is policy to delete the ENTIRE thread now instead of just deleting the offensive post and locking the thread?

What was wrong with the older way? It seems more of a downgrade of thinking to delete the whole "kit and kaboodle" rather than proactively getting involved in the thread as a MOD to delete the offensive post and just simply locking it.

If it's not broke why fix it? This new method of deleting EVERYTHING in an entire thread including those who are trying to help new members is a horrible policy.....and its a lazy policy too. Sorry, just my insight.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

If a thread starts out as a violation it gets deleted. If it becomes a trainwreck it gets locked or deleted.(That policy has been in for a year at least).

Also I don't think users are supposed to get a rank-hit for posting in a thread that gets deleted (can't find it in the RoC).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Hmmm... I post in threads all the time that end up getting deleted...and yet... no hit to my ranking.  Maybe you guys really are being moderated/penalized for your responses in those threads?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

couldn't you just make an invisible forum where you move threads to?

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Hmmm... I post in threads all the time that end up getting deleted...and yet... no hit to my ranking.  Maybe you guys really are being moderated/penalized for your responses in those threads?

No...i haven't been penalized. Ive been keeping track of these and the mods can verify this. If a thread gets deleted and your posts have been in it, your ranking will get a hit. Thats why I went from Elite to one star in just a week.  Also if you were to gain access to my warning history, I only received two warnings in a year and a half and the last warning was dropped because it wasn't warranted.

The older way was the mod would just stamp "Post deleted" and lock the thread. As Jello is saying now, its been a policy for the last year to just delete the entire thread if it starts out bad. A better way is to just simply lock it and if the OP continues, temp ban him.

Originally posted by paulscott

couldn't you just make an invisible forum where you move threads to?

there is (or was at least). It was called "The Dump."

• SteakpuncherSteakpuncher Member Posts: 255

I agree that you guys should not be taking a ratings hit just for posting in those threads, unless of course its common sense not to respond at all.

I would say the main reason for the entire thread being removed rather than just deleting and locking is because it can leave the forums looking very untidy. Certain forums such as Darkfall, SWG and occasionally other forums (especially with gold spam) would look very unnatractive when every other post is locked.

If you guys are honestly getting the rating hit due to this, then that is something that does need to be rectified, and I can confirm at the moment that this information has been passed onto people higher up by Jello.

Originally posted by Atomicide

I agree that you guys should not be taking a ratings hit just for posting in those threads, unless of course its common sense not to respond at all.
    I would say the main reason for the entire thread being removed rather than just deleting and locking is because it can leave the forums looking very untidy. Certain forums such as Darkfall, SWG and occasionally other forums (especially with gold spam) would look very unnatractive when every other post is locked.
    If you guys are honestly getting the rating hit due to this, then that is something that does need to be rectified, and I can confirm at the moment that this information has been passed onto people higher up by Jello.

thanks.

Also, Ill keep track of this as well. Today my rating is 54. Ill see if it drops tomorrow (or tonight rather).

my score did go down so it does seem it is affected

• trueswgvettrueswgvet Member Posts: 70

well, have faith now. Old community manager is gone and Kunou is now the community manager. He's a pretty decent guy.

We had better opportunities to actually discuss things with the old community manager. He may be a decent guy but he's not a very effective CM.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

As a regular recipient of post/thread deletions in Darkfall forums ( and no, I'm not counting when they were deleted due to my own actions ) I can attest to the rank drop occuring, regardless of who the penalization was meant for, when the post/thread is deleted..

Originally posted by trueswgvet

We had better opportunities to actually discuss things with the old community manager. He may be a decent guy but he's not a very effective CM.

lol, Kunou just started as a CM last week. How do you come to the conclusion that he is not a very effective CM? Just curious.

Originally posted by Zorvan

As a regular recipient of post/thread deletions in Darkfall forums ( and no, I'm not counting when they were deleted due to my own actions ) I can attest to the rank drop occuring, regardless of who the penalization was meant for, when the post/thread is deleted..

/agreed. The rating does drop when the thread is deleted....everyone in that thread is affected.  They need to do it the "unlazy" way and just "Stamp delete" the offensive posts and just lock em.  Dont worry if all the lock threads look ugly....they'll drop beyond the first page in 90% of the most frequented forums in 20 minutes.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Okay, this is a chance to test it.

I poisted in a thread which got deleted....71/100..let's see,

Now we play the waiting game.....

• vet-in-exilevet-in-exile Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by trueswgvet

lol, Kunou just started as a CM last week. How do you come to the conclusion that he is not a very effective CM? Just curious.

At least when Taera was around she responded to emails. I sent Kunou two messages on the 18th and the 21st asking for clarification on warnings I received and haven't heard back.

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

I'm getting so sick now of fanbois reporting me and getting my posts deleted because they lost the argument. Can't make a good counter point report them make their posts vanish.