Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new player with some questions

Hello,

Just started the trial and have a few questions if someone doesn't mind to answer them.

What class is most needed at end game ?  I was thinking of Captain and it looks like a class I would like.

I like to group, is it easy to find groups ?

How in-depth is the crafting ?

Any advice ?

Thanks !

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Hint: If you quit this game and dont like it, dont try to come back and play it again :P I just did that, total fail, when you dont like it, you just dont like it.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by sanders01

Hint: If you quit this game and dont like it, dont try to come back and play it again :P I just did that, total fail, when you dont like it, you just dont like it.

It was the opposite for me.  I played for 1 month, got to 38, then quit because of the forced grouping and lack of quests.  Then came back like 6 months later and really enjoyed it.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Ziljin

Hello,
    Just started the trial and have a few questions if someone doesn't mind to answer them.
    What class is most needed at end game ?  I was thinking of Captain and it looks like a class I would like.
    Any advice ?
    Thanks !

In fellowship quests and raids, the absolute most needed are the minstrel and the guardian. You can't go much wrong with any other class though, the only class I feel is a little over-represented on my server are the hunters.

Captains are excellent buffers, burglars are good debuffers and essential for fellowship moves (critical in tough fights), champions are much needed DPS (AOE+), Loremasters are critical in power management and can mezz in various ways (also good DPS and pets!).

If your main aspect is playing someone who will find a group *any* time, then it's a minstrel. But once you reach those high levels, there could be a lot of other minstrels running around :) so you'll never  know.

Best advice is to try more classes and see for yourself, which one you enjoy most playing!

It is not hard to find groups at all, I have recently dug my way through epic questlines Book 8 to 14 (!), all within a few weeks (I only play 6-10 hours a week!). There were many many FS (group) quests, and I had only about 2 where I had to wait more then a few hours to find a pickup group to solve it. Small raid runs are continuously being advertised and forming. If you have a good kinship, it is even a lot easier!

Crafting: I am a mighty fan of crafting, and I enjoy it in Lotro tremendously. At higher tiers you can't escape the grind, but just like all aspects of the game, crafting is being developed and expanded. They just recently added more dyes (huzzah!), and new recipes, crit items, crit modifier single recipes (you'll know what this means), so it is not only expanded in terms of variety (huge already, especiall for armor), but in depth as well (i love the advanced morale/power recipes - need reputation to get, etc..). It is an already complex system, that will be further extended and expanded.

Any advice?  Take it slow, read the quests, let yourself be immersed. Oh, and enjoy the scenery :) and never be afraid to ask, for advice or for help. You'll see why people keep saying lotro has the best community.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Ziljin

Hello,
    Any class is fine.  I wouldn't choose one based on end game either, since most Kins (guilds) will always need any class for replacement, when their members quit or stop playing.
    Captain was the only class i played extensively, it's more of a support/hybrid type of class, not exciting to solo or level with either, but that's my opinion.  They are much desired for groups though, because of their awesome buffs.
    Yes, but only if you join a Kin, in my opinion.  The LFG tool is useless, so it might be harder to form groups just by the chatrooms, although i never had this problem.
    Not in-depth at all.  You just gather resources and hit create, until you max out the tier.  Then you can make "teal" (epic)  items once you max the tier.
    Any advice ?
    Try all the classes that interest you up to at least lvl 10-15, so you can focus on one class as your main.  Join a Kinship early on once you get the hang of the game and it's mechanics, it really makes it more fun.
    One of the best websites for LotRO:  http://mehq.net/dynmap/index.php
    Thanks !

• ZiljinZiljin Member Posts: 19

Thxs for the replys, I'm having a good time so far. The graphics are nice, I like the way the tree's shed the leaves and they just flow with the breeze. Only level 5 now and I just called my friend to return my LOTR dvd's so I can watch them again later hehe .

I noticed in my Deed log under hobbies, there is Fishing but it doesn't explain anything. Is this telling me to start fishing ?

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

It is letting you know that fishing as a hobby is now available for you go to the hobby npc get a rod, and snag a gold fish lol, most fish are useless but some you can get stuffed and hang on your wall in your house if and when you can afford one :)

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by charlizd

It is letting you know that fishing as a hobby is now available for you go to the hobby npc get a rod, and snag a gold fish lol, most fish are useless but some you can get stuffed and hang on your wall in your house if and when you can afford one :)

In my Bedroom (in game) I have a goldfish mounted on the wall and a dragon on the floor looking up at it.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

Woot !  caught a 2 pound Salmon and a Giant Goldfish, dang it but there soooooo many quests, anyone on the Windfola server ?   I could use the company

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by observer

Originally posted by sanders01

It was the opposite for me.  I played for 1 month, got to 38, then quit because of the forced grouping and lack of quests.  Then came back like 6 months later and really enjoyed it.

I have 7 characters all 30+ but hit the wall with the highest at 37.......Once I got my mount the game just felt very boring to me.......After 35 or so the quests dont seem t obe very enjoyable anymore.....I also never felt very needed in LoTRO as it seemed every group quest I did someone felt like they just had to bring along a level 50 to make sure we did the quest quickly.....As a result though I never felt like I was needed and ended up reading articles on the internet while paying half attention while on the quests......I tried with all my characters to get people my level to tackle tougher stuff but everyone always wanted teh easy way out to get the quest done quickly......LoTRO is alot like WoW/EQ2 in that youll get bored with it at some point but taht point is different for everyone....For me it lasted a little over a month, others have played since day 1 and still swear its the greatest game ever.