Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people who will vote for someone other than Obama or McCain

ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

Isn't it annoying how people vote for someone who isn't going to win and therefore detract votes from "the better of two worses"? I mean they really dont care whether Obama wins vs. McCain. I mean, you can only have so much pride for not voting for either of these two "worses" when you know the truth is that one WILL become president anyways! you might as well make your vote count... agree?

To quote someone AHEM: "My candidate may not win, but I will be able to honestly say that I made a choice based on honest conviction and I can live with that just fine, no matter who gets to run the country for the next 4 years." I WILL CORRECT YOU. your candidate WILL NOT WIN. YOUR VOTE TECHNICALLY WILL COUNT DIDDLY SQUAT towards WHO WINS, McCain or Obama, so yes, the person I'm quoting may live with his third party vote just fine, but I want people to know how stupid they look with thier honest conviction anyways. Simply put, you are unpatriotic for not picking who will run your country McCain or Obama (the only ones who can win).

Let me give you the complete quote from this guy: I asked him

Do people who vote for someone other than Obama or McCain annoy you?

"No I believe the right to vote for the candidate of your choice is the essence of Democracy in action. What annoys me is people who tell I have to vote for a Republican or Democrat because nobody else has a chance of winning. I am sick and tired of voting for the lesser of two evils candidates which the major parties continue to present us with. My candidate may not win, but I will be able to honestly say that I made a choice based on honest conviction and I can live with that just fine, no matter who gets to run the country for the next 4 years. I will not sit out, I consider voting to be a civic duty which I will fulfill. The only wasted vote is the one that is not cast. I am voting for Bob Barr. If that annoys you then I am glad I could oblige."

If you really think that Obama and McCain will be equally bad I can understand your position, but with so many different issues that both candidates support, it's hard for them to be equally bad anyways. Its great to know this guy is fulfilling a civic duty, and feels like his vote will count, but we all know the truth, it wont, and therefore he is just being stupid for not choosing "the lesser of two evils", cuz if you cared who ran your country, you would do this. (unless, like I said, you really think Obama and McCain will be equally bad)

Comments

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

the guy went on to say:

"Awww what's the matter, does the idea of honesty in politics really scare you that much? Get over yourself already. You typify exactly what is wrong with our political system. Don't vote for the best candidate in your opinion, just follow the herd. Hey does this sound familiar? Bah! Baahhhh!

Tax but no tax: Both McCain and Obama will be bad for this country, albeit in different ways. I will not vote for either of these men and no amount of snide comments are going to change this. One thing I find amusing about the "follow the herd" crowd is that they always have the mistaken belief that I care about what they think about who I choose to vote for. Let me enlighten you. I don't and I am not in the least bit insecure. Having convictions often means you will be unpopular with some, but at the end of the day the only person I need to impress is the one I see in the mirror in the morning."

what impressive reasons to not care about who runs our country for the next 4 years

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Evil is evil no matter how you try to paint it or how "less" one candidate will be from the other. I will simply not bother voting since the republican party, as well as the whole country it seems, aren't ready to have good honest candidates in office. It's sad that you think that someone else's vote is "worthless" just because they don't vote the way you want them, that in itself is very un-patriotic. You're trying ti impose YOUR WILL on them by telling them they SHOULD vote your way... that's called Fascism.

I utterly despise Obama, but I don't necessarily think Mc Cain is any better either, so why should I give Obama or Mc Cain the satisfaction of voting for either of them? No thank you, I like to be able to sleep at night with my conscience clean knowing that I stood by my principles

Originally posted by Bane82

Evil is evil no matter how you try to paint it or how "less" one candidate will be from the other. I will simply not bother voting since the republican party, as well as the whole country it seems, aren't ready to have good honest candidates in office. It's sad that you think that someone else's vote is "worthless" just because they don't vote the way you want them, that in itself is very un-patriotic. You're trying ti impose YOUR WILL on them by telling them they SHOULD vote your way... that's called Fascism.
    I utterly despise Obama, but I don't necessarily think Mc Cain is any better either, so why should I give Obama or Mc Cain the satisfaction of voting for either of them? No thank you, I like to be able to sleep at night with my conscience clean knowing that I stood by my principles

Why should you give them the satisfaction? because they are the ones going to run our country; it's not about satisfaction, its about the well-being of America (which I thought was more important than taking your anonymous vote personally).  But if you honestly think they are equally as bad I understand you for not voting for either. With that being said, Obama and McCain are far from equal (imo), and your sentimental 3rd party vote forgets the sentiment that is the fact that YES, Obama or McCain will win and you should pick the better candidate if you cared about who will run our country. I think caring about who runs our country is more important (and should make your conscious more clean) than detracting votes from the obvious winners.

and I think you had some fascism issues as a child (sorry)

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Thrakk

Simply put, you are unpatriotic for not picking who will run your country McCain or Obama (the only ones who can win).

Oh no! unpatriotic!? Anything but that!

Considering that nothing I say will make you see the error in your thinking OP, here's my only response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

You gotta be a realist instead of being a rock on some principle that doesn't effect who runs our country which should be more important than your precious principles.

And if you don't care who runs the country and you don't care if you are unpatriotic than I feel sorry for you.

You gotta be a realist instead of being a rock on some principle that doesn't effect who runs our country which should be more important than your precious principles.
    And if you don't care who runs the country and you don't care if you are unpatriotic than I feel sorry for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2udJdWVa1Fw&feature=related

Originally posted by Bane82

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2udJdWVa1Fw&feature=related

Why didnt you just say you were apathetic in the first place? then I wouldnt have argued with you. I wouldnt have bothered with you if you dont care what you do. You are just a troll in this thread. The topic is politics and if you dont care than please don't bother posting in a political thread Mr. Troll.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Of course you have lost when you say there is no other option. 

The American people have lost long ago when they fell into this two party system.  We need to throw off the chains of this broken system. 

Neither candidate is going to bring any change to Washington.  They are both in the pocket of too many lobbyists. 

You want real change then vote for someone who won't take other people's money for their campaign.  Someone like Bloomberg who financed his campaigns for Mayor out of his own pocket. 

If Obama really was only taking small donations from people then I would consider him some change ( I don't agree with a lot of his positions though) but he isn't.  He is taking Millions of dollars from Law Firms.  Who happen to represent lobbyists.  So, Obama can say he isn't taking money from the actual lobbyist but he is taking money from where they work and their friends. 

Anyone who honestly believes Obama's "change" BS deserves the mess he is going to make of our country.

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Of course you have lost when you say there is no other option. 
    The American people have lost long ago when they fell into this two party system.  We need to throw off the chains of this broken system. 

Neither candidate is going to bring any change to Washington.  They are both in the pocket of too many lobbyists. 

You want real change then vote for someone who won't take other people's money for their campaign.  Someone like Bloomberg who financed his campaigns for Mayor out of his own pocket.  But how can you say that is a real change when you know just as well as I do that these guys cant win. That means no change at all. At least I'm trying to care about our country when I go to choose "the better of two worses"
    If Obama really was only taking small donations from people then I would consider him some change ( I don't agree with a lot of his positions though) but he isn't.  He is taking Millions of dollars from Law Firms.  Who happen to represent lobbyists.  So, Obama can say he isn't taking money from the actual lobbyist but he is taking money from where they work and their friends. 

Anyone who honestly believes Obama's "change" BS deserves the mess he is going to make of our country.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Cobra Commander here

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

Isn't it annoying how people vote for someone who isn't going to win and therefore detract votes from "the better of two worses"?

No.

Any movement has a starting point with limited support. I agree that either Obama or McCain will be our next president. Furthermore, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else to disagree with that. Perhaps other parties will get 3% of the vote this year. Maybe in 2012 they will get 6%, followed by 9% in 2016, and then it actually starts to look possible for an independent or libertarian to win -garnering exponential support. Now, maybe there are enough people who support that platform to get them elected and maybe there isn't. The only way to know for sure is to convince their supporters that a third party is possible.

Eventually, there will be viable alternatives to the democrat or republican standard. This will never happen as long as people continue to choose the lesser of two evils (not that I agree this is representative of the '08 election).

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Imagine if the whole country didn't care about the fact that someone from 1 of the 2 major parties will win, and voted who they thought would be best rather then the lesser of 2 evils?  Maybe we would see some actual change.

Originally posted by Enigma
    Cobra Commander here

I would almost rather vote for Cobra Commander lol! At least I'd know what kind of leader we'd be getting, and that he has more cojones than McCain and Obama together ha ha!

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by DailyBuzz

Isn't it annoying how people vote for someone who isn't going to win and therefore detract votes from "the better of two worses"?

No.

Any movement has a starting point with limited support. I agree that either Obama or McCain will be our next president. Furthermore, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else to disagree with that. Perhaps other parties will get 3% of the vote this year. Maybe in 2012 they will get 6%, followed by 9% in 2016, and then it actually starts to look possible for an independent or libertarian to win -garnering exponential support. Now, maybe there are enough people who support that platform to get them elected and maybe there isn't. The only way to know for sure is to convince their supporters that a third party is possible.

Eventually, there will be viable alternatives to the democrat or republican standard. This will never happen as long as people continue to choose the lesser of two evils (not that I agree this is representative of the '08 election).

No, there will not be viable alternatives...When Perot got something like 19% of the popular vote, ...what did the third party alternatives get in the election following that one?  It was substantially less.  The reason:  The republican and democrat parties pander to the third parties for votes now...They make promises and concessions to keep these people out of the race, and it will continue to be this way...This is not a deal where it will increase just a little bit each year until they are viable...It will fluctuate in an unpredictable manner until the day that this country goes under (if Obama gets elected, expect this to occur in four years)

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

You are not unpatriotic for not voting for one of the two candidates.. or the lesser of two evils or whatever spin you want to put on it. You are just an idiot.

IF the ballot is Mccain, or Obama and you put down Luke Skywalker, or slappy mcgee, or the cobra commander, your just  a jackass, and equally to blame when the country has a piss poor leader.

Instead of trying to take a deeper look at both candidates and their policies, you decided to throw away your vote so you can "sleep better at night, knowing you followed your heart." Like you live in a  disney movie.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

You are not unpatriotic for not voting for one of the two candidates.. or the lesser of two evils or whatever spin you want to put on it. You are just an idiot.
    IF the ballot is Mccain, or Obama and you put down Luke Skywalker, or slappy mcgee, or the cobra commander, your just  a jackass, and equally to blame when the country has a piss poor leader.
    Instead of trying to take a deeper look at both candidates and their policies, you decided to throw away your vote so you can "sleep better at night, knowing you followed your heart." Like you live in a  disney movie.

I live in California, my vote means nothing because the state will elect a democrat regardless...So if I vote for Cobra commander or whoever else, it doesn't make a difference.  And don't try to tell me that this is the attitude that makes republicans lose states like California, because if that were true, then Cobra Commander and Garry Coleman would be getting a calculable percentage of the vote.

Not saying that I'm going to be voting for anybody other than McCain, but I certainly am saying that I wouldn't feel responsible for having a president Obama if I decided to cast my vote for Joe Buttsex.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.