Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP Shadowbane - it was good while it lasted

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Shadowbane, the best PvP/Seige game on the market, now has an equal (not counting the PvE servers of that game).

I will miss Shadowbane.  I just hope someday, someone out there, gets this game from Ubisoft and re-publishes it, with the same concepts and idea's of the original developers.

RIP Shadowbane

..and for the people still playing, keep up the killing!  and please run off CN...

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

How is it dead if it still has a steady community and who is the equal you're talking about?

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

The steady community logs in around 2 AM EST, which his about 1 - 3 PM their time.

Age of Conan is the game I am talking about.  It has aspects of SB, like my guild is building a city, and the same things are needed as in SB, to build that city.  The only thing that is getting us down is the grind, we are used to the 75-in-one-day in SB.  Its diffrent, its pretty, and you can actually chop someones head off, and attack anyone anywhere, except on the PvE servers.  They have a higher population on the PVP servers too, so that goes to show, people want a good PVP game, lets hope they don't trammel it up.

As for Shadowbane, someone needs to get the game from Ubisoft and fix the engine, but keep the concepts intact.  Every big nation I read about has dwindled down to less than a group active, while CN can still field 50 - 100 players.  Its over, CN won.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I can't agree really.  I play AOC and like it, but its no SB, at least in terms of concepts.  I loved SB, shame the execution was so poor.

There might be a successor one day to SB, like Darkfall or Earthrise, but until then I think most folks are still waiting.

BTW, in its original incarnation, SB did not have 75 in a day leveling, that came much later.  In the early days it took quite a while to level up like most games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

I do remember the beta days when confessers could kill groups of players, and early launch where channelers did not have recast timers on their bolts.  My guild may of been the first one to be baned on the live servers.  Day 2 we had over 60 people camping our city, by the end of the week we were baned (CSR removed it).

Shadowbane had its day.  Unless a company with strong financial backing buys Shadowbane from UBIsoft and re-designs the engine (and keeping the same concept), SB is doomed to be an Asian game hosted in Canada and marketed to North America.

Keep up the good fight if you are playing, but dont let the zerg get you down because AoC has some parts of SB in it, with a mix of WoW/DAOC/EQ.  AoC will also get you ready for Darkfalls combat system, because of the reactionary combat that is in AoC (for melee's).

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

AoC might be closer to DAoC, but its no SB in terms of real meaningfull PvP... in fact PvP is so completely pointless after I played a while getting killed never even got a rise out of me, unlike my rage fueled revenge hunts in SB.

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• JonGottixxxJonGottixxx Member Posts: 2

Im glad i looked at the post here i was going to try out AoC but now i dont think im going to. I have herd it was close to SB and wanted to give it a try. But if you all say that it is not the same or even close then there is no point.

I wll just keep playing Shadowbane tell something comes along that is good!

" I PISS ON CN GRAVES "

Gotti Bitch

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by JonGottixxx

Im glad i looked at the post here i was going to try out AoC but now i dont think im going to. I have herd it was close to SB and wanted to give it a try. But if you all say that it is not the same or even close then there is no point.
    I wll just keep playing Shadowbane tell something comes along that is good!

" I PISS ON CN GRAVES "

I hear ya man, I actually played Shadowbane for a couple of years, jumped the bandwagon with some guildies to go play AoC, and like most people quit AoC before my trial month was up, and went back to SB. Lets face it, SB is still the most hardcore pvp game to date.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

Shadowbane, the best PvP/Seige game on the market, now has an equal (not counting the PvE servers of that game).
    I will miss Shadowbane.  I just hope someday, someone out there, gets this game from Ubisoft and re-publishes it, with the same concepts and idea's of the original developers.
    RIP Shadowbane
    ..and for the people still playing, keep up the killing!  and please run off CN...

I dunno, I'd say the best PvP game would be DAoC, but SB a close second.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

I said most hardcore, not the best.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

its very very hardcore.. I JUST started playing like two days ago and after I left the little island.. people stoopped talking and just started killing..  Chat is totally silent but pvp kills everywhere.. I ran away from town towards and adventure area.. Instantly killed by a roaming rank 7... lol.. Respawn to try again.. Another roaming rank 7...

It's fun just trying to NOT get killed in this game...

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

Its good to see rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated...

I may come back for a visit...

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158

I loved the ideas of this game, but I when I got on I had no idea what to do. Not to mention I couldn't find a single person on what was suppose to be a high population server. I tried to play it, despite the wierd control layout, but I just couldn't bring myself to coup with it after about a half hour.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

The population of Thurin has rapidly spiked in the past few weeks.

I see a lot of people who left SB for AoC making their way back to SB. I'm one of them.

The end game sieges and in general PvP of AoC is a terrible buggy mess right now. We'll have to see how AoC shapes up in a year to see if it can pull some people back, but for now it is not the end of SB.