Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now, this is just foolishness. Saudi Arabia bans cats and dogs for fear of sexes being seen together

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia —  Every single man knows: Walking a dog in the park equals sure babe magnet. Saudi Arabia's Islamic religious police, in their zeal to keep the sexes apart, want to make sure the technique doesn't catch on here.

The solution: Ban selling dogs and cats as pets, as well as walking them in public.

The prohibition went into effect on Wednesday in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, and authorities in the city say they will strictly enforce it — unlike previous such bans in the cities of Mecca and Jiddah, which have been ignored and failed to stop sales.

Violators found outside with their pets will have their beloved poodles and other furry companions confiscated by agents of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, the official name of the religious police, tasked with enforcing Saudi Arabia's strict Islamic code.

The commission's general manager, Othman al-Othman, said the ban was ordered because of what he called "the rising of phenomenon of men using cats and dogs to make passes at women and pester families" as well as "violating proper behavior in public squares and malls."

"If a man is caught with a pet, the pet will be immediately confiscated and the man will be forced to sign a document pledging not to repeat the act," al-Othman told the Al-Hayat newspaper. "If he does, he will be referred to authorities."

The Saudi-owned Al-Hayat announced the ban in its Wednesday edition, saying it was ordered by the acting governor of Riyadh province, Prince Sattam, based on an edit from the Council of Senior Islamic Scholars and several religious police reports of pet owners harassing women and families.

Commission authorities often do not formally announce to the public new rules that they intend to implement. Officials from the commission and Riyadh city government could not be reached for comment on Thursday, which is a weekend day in Saudi Arabia. The English-language Arab News reported on the ban on Thursday.

So far, the new prohibition did not appear to have any effect in Riyadh. It's extremely rare, anyway, to see anyone walking a dog — much less carrying a cat in public — in the capital, despite the authorities' claims of flirtatious young men luring girls with their pets in malls.

Salesmen at a couple of Riyadh pet stores on Thursday said they did not receive any official orders from the commission banning the sale of pets. Cats and dogs were still on display.

"I didn't hear of the ban," said Yasser al-Abdullah, a 28-year-old Saudi nurse, who was at one pet store with his 3-month-old collie, Joe.

Al-Abdullah, who also owns an 8-month-old Labrador, said a couple of Western friends had been told to get off the streets by the religious police for walking their dogs.

"I won't allow the commission to take my dogs from me," he said.

The religious police prowl streets and malls throughout the kingdom, ensuring unmarried men and women do not mix, confronting women they feel are not properly covered or urging men to go to prayers.

They also often make attempts to plug the few holes in the strict gender segregation that innovations bring. In 2004, they tried to ban cameras on cell phones, fearing that men and women would exchange pictures of each other — though the prohibition was quickly revoked. Every year, religious police warn against marking Valentine's Day, even trying to prevent people from wearing red clothing on the holiday, which they consider a Western creation that encourages vice.

There was no word whether commission authorities intend to expand the dog and cat ban beyond the capital.

The prohibition may be more of an attempt to curb the owning of pets, which conservative Saudis view as a sign of corrupting Western influence, like the fast food, shorts, jeans and pop music that have become more common in the kingdom.

Pet owning has never been common in the Arab world, though it is increasingly becoming fashionable among the upper class in Saudi Arabia and other countries such as Egypt.

In Islamic tradition, dogs are shunned as unclean and dangerous, though they are kept for hunting and guarding. In large cities around the Middle East, stray dogs often wander the streets and are considered pests.

The ban on cats is more puzzling, since there's no similar disdain for them in Islamic tradition. One of the Prophet Muhammad's closest companions was given the name Abu Huraira, Arabic for "the father of the kitten," because he always carried a kitten around with him and took care of it.

A number of hadiths — traditional stories of the prophet — show Muhammad encouraging people to treat cats well. Once, he let a cat drink from the water that he was going to use for his ablutions before prayers. Another time, Muhammad said a woman who kept a cat locked up without feeding it would go to Hell.

Street cats are also plentiful, and people will often feed them or play with them — but it isn't a widespread custom to keep one in the home, and many cannot afford it.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Ain't religion grand?

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by Torak

Ain't religion grand?

it sure is...is that a cat in your pocket?

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by Enigma

Ain't religion grand?

it sure is...is that a cat in your pocket?

No sir, don't beat me........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

WAIT, this is serious...

No more Saudi Arabian LOLcats?!!? NNOOooo!

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

I wonder how much this additude has held back teh religion that should not be named, consider what  other cultures have accomplished with the use of  dogs? Herding dogs, tracking dogs, rescue dogs,hunting dogs,dogs for companionship, dogs to detect cancer, seizure dogs,wheelchair dogs,dogs for the blind/deaf,explosive detection dogs,drug detecting dogs,guard dogs,dogs that destroy vermin like rats,sled dogs,dogs in movies,etc etc it must be at least 100 years of development.

I know a little off topic from the OP but i have considered this often since i learned they are considered unclean.

And yes they over the top concerning pets. but it is there way and we shouldn't be to "judgemental"

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by BushMonkey

teh religion that should not be named,

I wonder how much this additude has held back teh religion that should not be named, consider what  other cultures have accomplished with the use of  dogs? Herding dogs, tracking dogs, rescue dogs,hunting dogs,dogs for companionship, dogs to detect cancer, seizure dogs,wheelchair dogs,dogs for the blind/deaf,explosive detection dogs,drug detecting dogs,guard dogs,dogs that destroy vermin like rats,sled dogs,dogs in movies,etc etc it must be at least 100 years of development.

I know a little off topic from the OP but i have considered this often since i learned they are considered unclean.

And yes they over the top concerning pets. but it is there way and we shouldn't be to "judgemental"

Its not just this un-named religion, all of them do crack-pot non-sense like this

Why should we be so judgmental? If a religion is going to go so far as to intrude on every aspect of your life (and they all do) what, don't think about it objectively just roll over and accept it?

I don't care if its "their way" or "our way" I can judge just as much as I will on politics or the war or whatever else I feel like being judgmental about. Thats why I choose to live in a free thinking society. So "religious police" don't beat me or my family when we are not wearing the proper attire or want to walk our dog.

You know if we lived in Egypt I would be going to jail for typing this.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Its not just this un-named religion, all of them do crack-pot non-sense like this

Why should we be so judgmental? If a religion is going to go so far as to intrude on every aspect of your life (and they all do) what, don't think about it objectively just roll over and accept it?

I don't care if its "their way" or "our way" I can judge just as much as I will on politics or the war or whatever else I feel like being judgmental about. Thats why I choose to live in a free thinking society. So "religious police" don't beat me or my family when we are not wearing the proper attire or want to walk our dog.

You know if we lived in Egypt I would be going to jail for typing this.

well sorry i was trying to be sarcastic , if you have ever listened to Michael Savage you would understand, he always says that, "Judgemeeental" in a very sarcastic tone,  just trying to not "offeeend" any "enlighteeened" liberals who think we shouldn't be to "Judgemeeental" of any crackpot bs from the religion that shall not be named. I will try harder next time.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I'm pretty sure the Saudi government hasn't perma-banned cats and dogs, and I'm pretty sure such animals as used for non-'leisure' purposes such as sniffer dogs, dogs for the blind, etc are not banned from being outside. Try reading the post properly.

O_o o_O

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445

I think the whole country is full of homosexuals; if they didn't need women for reproduction they would probably ban them altogether .  "No offense to homosexuals"

• murdera2k6murdera2k6 Member UncommonPosts: 474

This anti-dog thing is culture not religion, i know loads of followers of this un-named religion have dogs. It's just a sect of the unnamed religion called Wahabis which is a very extreme sect. Osama Bin Laden is a Wahabi.

"If they can make Penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you," - Muhammed Ali