Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO features FTW

PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

1) FFA PvP
2) 100% Looting
3) In-ship play (that's right... I said it. I want to be able to play an avatar in my ship and invite friends over and have a crew and living quarters and a cafeteria and everything! On-board controls should control what my vessel does.)
4) Minimal instances (I know this is a tall order for programmers, but this is a wish-list!)
5) Player-driven economy and crafting (supply and demand are what drive the costs and player's motivation to farm resources)
6) No insta-travelling (everyone must get there the old fashioned way, and have chance encounters along the way... the only exception is if your ship is warp-capable and you have a clear path)
7) No 'Auctionhouse' style market where everything is available from everywhere... again, travel is a MUST to get what you want.
8) Player owned local governments with laws made by the governers
9) Good AI with NPCs able to travel far-and-wide (not restricted to one little area and respawning in the same spot each time.)
10) Newtonian physics (space shouldn't have any friction to slow down my craft, and I should be able to spin around and look behind me while travelling really fast... and I should be able to attack from any angle and hide behind planets.)
11) Planetary play (avatars on foot and able to mount other planetary vehicles), space play, on-board spacestation play, and (again) on-board ship play.
12) No 'Levels'... just skillpoints that atrophy over inactive time. (Ranks are obviously okay, and achievable through time in service and the nature of your service to your respective faction. Ranks shouldn't determine your skill though... it should only determine what kinds of vessels your faction will allow you to captain and the number of crew you can lead within your faction.)
13) Hardcore death penalty (ie - the loss of your vessel and whatever part of your crew you sacrificed in combat. You should be able to insure things though, like in EVE.)
14) Customizable and decoratable homes on planets, and spaceships/stations.
15) Holodecks with lots of fun options for goofing around without penalty.

These are just a few ideas. This game could be great. Let's see what happens.

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Those are some good ideas, quite a few of those have cropped in conversation had in my ST guild quite a few years back, and others you post are intriguing.

I like numbers 4 and 8 :) good ideas.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

The in-ship play would be cool. And the Rank system would work nice, levels just doesnt seem to go with Star Trek. Also, the FFA pvp, in a certain area of space? Or everywhere?

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

There should be 'guards' in federation space and other protected zones, but if you want to try to attack someone and get away with it, it's a risk you'll have to decide on. Like in the old days of UO, you actually had a fighting chance against a town guard... but not if more than one attacked you!!!

So the technical answer is that ALL space is FFA PvP, but with the caveat that there will be stiff consequences in federation space. And you should be deemed an outlaw (maybe with a bounty?) if you attempt any 'hit & run' style tactics or successfully do a 'smash and grab' in '0 space' or unprotected space.

It would obviously have to have some kinks worked out (like preventing exploiters from getting a huge bounty and then having their buddy cash it in), but it could work nicely if done right.

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

• TonevTonev Member Posts: 462

You forgot perma death of ships to , that way people will think before FFA every ship that comes by (and guilds will actually mean something in the game).

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

you basically just described Eve.

i'm all for an EvE clone...heck its a damn good game in itself.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Scrap 1 and 2, but I like the rest.

• Wizziokid091Wizziokid091 Member Posts: 20

WOW i hate Star Trek but from what iv heard it sounds like one great idea for a mmo. 

I might actual play this if it turns out this way.. 

MMO's iv played etc:

Currently playing:
    .Lotro

Retired From best to worst:
    .CoX, SWG, AoC, WoW, Eve online, R.O.S.E online, Kal Online, Runescape, Other F2P mmo's

Waiting for:
    .SGW
    .Champions Online
    .DCUO
    .Star Wars TOR

• HadrianHadrian Member Posts: 14

it sounds like you are taking EVE (with ambulation and planetary play), adding newtownian physics and throwing on a star trek skin.

actually, that would be a pretty good game. 

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227

Sorry, some of that sounds fine, but a lot of that sounds like a really terrible idea for a Star Trek mmo.

• LovoLovo Member Posts: 6

I love those ideas. MMOs should have consequenses if you loose when you attack somebody and good rewards if you win. So people will think twince.

• Xris375Xris375 Member Posts: 1,005

Although it sounds like a cool game, it's not Star Trek. Why loot when you can replicate ?

---
    And when we got more women on the team, it was like ‘No, no, no. We need puppies and horses in there.’ ”
    John Smedley, SOE

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

The game is looking bad already and it is not even in alpha phase.  You are a captain of your ship, no ifs, ands or buts about it. So there goes the uniqueness out the gate. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Ddgrfn11Ddgrfn11 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by sinjin

The game is looking bad already and it is not even in alpha phase.  You are a captain of your ship, no ifs, ands or buts about it. So there goes the uniqueness out the gate. 

Unbelievable.....you are basing your opinion on a few screenshots and a sentence or 2.....we havent even seen any gameplay footage yet.....and nothing is set in stone anyway....how about waiting until we actually have something to play before ripping on it.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Ddgrfn11

Originally posted by sinjin

Unbelievable.....you are basing your opinion on a few screenshots and a sentence or 2.....we havent even seen any gameplay footage yet.....and nothing is set in stone anyway....how about waiting until we actually have something to play before ripping on it.

Well said! Some have doomed this project before it's even started and they even know anything about it!

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

This happens with every game.  Hopefully Cryptic is going to make their own game.  One question for the OP and the supporters of those ideas:

Why does STO have to be a carbon copy of Eve online, reskinned to look like Star Trek?  Why can't you just play Eve and let Cryptic make their game and then you can decide if you want to play it or not?

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I dont mind FFA pvp but to be honest to keep the games sub high they need to just make FFA pvp a server type.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum