Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth the try again?

LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680

I was a beta tester i had gotten many 50s in beta bought the game when it came out and stopped after maybe 25(?) Cause i was burnt off the beta and lack of content..

My question is is it worth a try again? what kind of new content is there to appeal to 45+s?

What is the future of the game?

Playing: Everthing
Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

Comments

• DuilyonDuilyon Member Posts: 326

I played the game near release and quit after a month thinking I would come back to it in the future. Well, I have been watching the develepment closely and it still steals that they have yet to add any real content, but I Think that is about to change.

See they got this new lead dev named Tom Potter and he seems like a pretty cool guy. He has been there for a couple months now and seems to be finally rolling out some real content. The future may now be looking up for TR.

He wants to be adding more player customziation, world bosses for players to kill, PUIs, and some  Player owned CP points for PVP.

There is a lot more stuff he is working on but that is all I can remember off the top of my head. It all sounds cool to me besides the PVP. I just do not like the idea of PVP in this game that revolves around the human race nearly going extinct. Maybe if the PVP was like a Monster Play type thing where you can choose to be a Bane type character and fight humans..but it isn't going to be that way. But meh, its a minor problem.

Soon we may see an awesome new TR, and I will deffinitly play then!

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Duilyon

Soon we may see...

That's been the story of TR since release.  TR has been live 9 months now? Still waiting for "soon" to become reality.   There is a 3 day trial for TR www.mmorpg.com/freetrials/tabularasa_trial.cfm.  Be sure to try that before you buy it.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

Nope, eight months past launch and they still haven't added anything to this game.  Stay away.  It's pretty much dead at this point.

• DuilyonDuilyon Member Posts: 326

Yes, I know we have been saying the whole "soon and the game will be worth it" but now I think it may actually be true. But hey, who knows!

Tom Potter seems to be an uprigtht fellow and seems to have an actual idea as to where to take TR. the old lead dev seemed to be a bit clueless as to where take this game. Maybe they wont take it anywhere. I was just trying to be a little bit optimistic

• MixieMixie Member Posts: 111

Try it and see what you think, its rly hard for other ppl to tell you what you like and dont. No harm in trying, and its free so go ahead and try and make your own picture of what you think aboute it.

• epitaxialepitaxial Member Posts: 25

If you don't mind spending $14.95 to see how the game has "changed" - then I'd say go for it.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

I re-subbed a few days ago after leaving in Dec. I'm enjoying myself much more this go around. Some of the annoyences are still there, but I like the lore, and how the game gets rid of the stupid stuff in most mmos, desperately defending CP's is a blast, and the KA-PLOW! of a shotgun blast that sends mobs sprawling is something that can't be matched by sword-swinging mmos.

• MixieMixie Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by Scottgun

I re-subbed a few days ago after leaving in Dec. I'm enjoying myself much more this go around. Some of the annoyences are still there, but I like the lore, and how the game gets rid of the stupid stuff in most mmos, desperately defending CP's is a blast, and the KA-PLOW! of a shotgun blast that sends mobs sprawling is something that can't be matched by sword-swinging mmos.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926
    Originally posted by Scottgun

Quoted for truthery.  This is the most immediate fun I've had with any MMO ever.  You could basically teleport somewhere, and start having a blast.   Immediate fun in a persistent world - quite an accomplishment

Now if only they made grouping a little more fun... or added pretty much anything new... or fixed the abilities... or did anything...

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I agree it's a lot of fun. I think the problem TR has had is the false expectations of what is was going to be by players. It is different from any other MMO. Long-term I'm not so sure, but I usually tire of a game before reaching end game anyway. I don't know how players log into WoW 6 hours a day for five years.

• SoaraSoara Member UncommonPosts: 78

I love TR :) waiting for endgame to come out to come back!

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

Thought I would add that now that update 10 is out, it runs waaaaaayyyy smoother for me now.

• l0lcatsl0lcats Member Posts: 12

I personally feel as though it is not.

lolfall

• abhaighabhaigh Member Posts: 390

perhaps by the time they release update 20 and actually deliver on all the vapour they promised last year - until then?

NO, ABSOLUTLEY NOT - NOT WORTH THE ASKING PRICE

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

For sure! The game has eveolved over time, and is making huge strides. Better performance. Cast-on-the-run abilities. Tougher mobs. It's top notch for a casual player. You won't play a more action packed MMOG.

• SoaraSoara Member UncommonPosts: 78

TR delivers the most action in any game I have ever seen and truly delves deep into the core of what makes a fantastic MMO. Very different, and very worth going into. The 3-day trial is definately worth your time.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

100% worth another shot

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by lkavadas

Nope, eight months past launch and they still haven't added anything to this game.  Stay away.  It's pretty much dead at this point.

Agreed.  I think TR is somewhat just aiming to be a mid level tier MMO and just run on their base sub numbers that will always be on there.  I don't see them actually doing much with the game that would entail too much financial work.  I would recommend looking forward to WAR, as it is set to release at the end of Sept.  If you really just love the Sci-Fi setting then I would recommend SWG before TR at this point.  Even though SWG is falling to pieces as well.  EVE is pretty good if you can get into the ship flying stuff.  Gluck.

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

TR is the only level-based game that I would even consider subbing to. Definitely worth looking back into if your into instant gratification as well as fun.

• sabutai22sabutai22 Member Posts: 262

TR still fails and will continue to do so;

- too many bugs to even start listing

- not enough content

- limited gameplay

- horrible pathing

- inconsistent quest/mission system

- horrible community

- groups have limited support / roles and tactics

I could go on and on, however that fact of the matter is only the die hard RG fanbui's continue to play.

• DBACPhooenixDBACPhooenix Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by sabutai22

- not enough content
    - limited gameplay
    - horrible pathing
    - horrible community
    I could go on and on, however that fact of the matter is only the die hard RG fanbui's continue to play.

Have you even played the game recently?

- Bugs - Please do list them off, because this is one of the most polished games out there today

- Content - From 1-49 there is plenty, at 50 the game is lacking, but we'll be seeing some end game content next month

- Gameplay - Combat is excellent, Storyline is great, crafting is horrible (currently being revamped)

- Pathing - It is very easy to f ind your way around the maps in this game

- Missions - The storyline in this game is great.  All of the in between quests are also spot on and far from inconsistant

- Community - Less need for grouping = Less community interaction.  Developer/player relations are second to none.

- Roles/Tactics - Best feature of this game is that there are no defined roles.  Just because your a medic, doesn't mean you have to heal everyone.  Players can customize their characters to define their own roles.  That is a win for skill customization.

I could go on and on, however the fact of the matter is only trolls who are dead set on WoW model of MMO's will continue to bash this game.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

- not enough content
    - limited gameplay
    - horrible pathing
    - horrible community

Are you posting from 7 months ago? B/c, wait until you play the game in the present. It's none of the things you list!

• EnsiEnsi Member Posts: 1

I also had heard horror stories about tabula rasa while i was playing wow. But i took the time to listen to one of their primary podcasts *tabula cast* and it truly sparked an interest. After listening to all of them i went to the store and bought a copy. Let me tell you guys. After raiding hard core for years  its amazing that TR holds my interest. The dev staff is second to none and the community ,although small ATM is experienced and helpful. Even only being on tr for 2 months the additions ive seen to the game are amazing and there is a plethora more to come in the near future. Anyone judging this game from beta or their little brother should give it a shot!

Thanks 8)

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by DBACPhooenix

- not enough content
    - limited gameplay
    - horrible pathing
    - horrible community

Have you even played the game recently?

- Bugs - Please do list them off, because this is one of the most polished games out there today

- Content - From 1-49 there is plenty, at 50 the game is lacking, but we'll be seeing some end game content next month

- Gameplay - Combat is excellent, Storyline is great, crafting is horrible (currently being revamped)

- Pathing - It is very easy to f ind your way around the maps in this game

- Missions - The storyline in this game is great.  All of the in between quests are also spot on and far from inconsistant

- Community - Less need for grouping = Less community interaction.  Developer/player relations are second to none.

- Roles/Tactics - Best feature of this game is that there are no defined roles.  Just because your a medic, doesn't mean you have to heal everyone.  Players can customize their characters to define their own roles.  That is a win for skill customization.

I could go on and on, however the fact of the matter is only trolls who are dead set on WoW model of MMO's will continue to bash this game.

It is not only trolls who are dead set on the WOW model who bash this game. TR is fine for the casual player. If you tend to be more hardcore this game will most likely bore you in about 3 months. Possibly less if you have no interest in alts.

Fact of the matter is TR has a small community and very little in game reason for grouping or getting together, couple that with horrible crafting and nothing outside of combat to keep you busy and you have a game that is great for fighting but less stellar at any other time.

The missions are your standard go here kill X bring me X, or go see X and deliver X, very Fedex style and not imaginative at all. CP battles are the best part of TR and simply are not used enough by the devs to be more a part of the game. Yes they are adding Clan Owned Control Points, but they will be PvP only at first and with their current pace of getting them out could stay that way until next year.

All in all TR is fun for a couple of months but lacks the long term appeal Iwant in an MMO.

• whastingswhastings Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Ensi

I also had heard horror stories about tabula rasa while i was playing wow. But i took the time to listen to one of their primary podcasts *tabula cast* and it truly sparked an interest. After listening to all of them i went to the store and bought a copy. Let me tell you guys. After raiding hard core for years  its amazing that TR holds my interest. The dev staff is second to none and the community ,although small ATM is experienced and helpful. Even only being on tr for 2 months the additions ive seen to the game are amazing and there is a plethora more to come in the near future. Anyone judging this game from beta or their little brother should give it a shot!
                       Thanks 8)

WoW raiding sucked (IMHO). There is nothing in WoW to compare to the run-and-gun action in TR.

They are keeping up a nice pace with regard to patching and adding content.

A new crafting system is coming, but I still see people crafting and posting items on the Military Surplus auction. So not everyone thinks it is usless as it is now.

The community may be small -- and all communities are small compared to WoW -- but everyone I have met has been great to interact and group with.

The only bugs I have seen, have to do with the friends/clan screen (doesn't always show who's online) and the Military Surplus interface (you can only buyout an item, not place bids).

The TabulaCast podcast isn't bad, but isn't quite as polished as The Instance podcast I used to listen to while I was playing WoW. (The TabulaCast Tom Potter interview not long ago was great, I thought.)

I like that I can respec and completely change my playstyle. No two people playing a class at the same level will be playing the same way, and neither will be considered gimped. I like that there aren't cookie cutter templates for TR the way there are for WoW, where you're considered a moron if you don't have an "approved" spec.

I could list a number of elements of other MMOs that I wish would find their way into TR, but it is human nature to always want more.

(Edit for spelling)

Current Game: nothing
    Retired Games: Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft
    Looking forward to: Stargate Worlds, Aion, Earthrise