Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have to admit

Funcom really tried, but they really didn't manage to get what they needed this half of the year. Right now at least 2/3 of their player base are the people who flock to the latest MMO and leave just as quickly as they came. 2008 will be really painful for AoC because of two things: (I'm sure you know what's coming) the WoW expansion, and of course Warhammer online. Not only will WoW take back most of they players who left until the expansion comes out, but Warhammer will take all the players who will flock to it (being the newest thing.) I really just wanted to respond to a post on the AoC forums but I already canceled.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=145037

In the end somewhere in the 500-700k mark possibly a little more.

This would be next year sometime btw not this month

I almost think this is optimism to the max, AoC won't ever get higher than 500k subscribers and will most likely stay at 200k before Christmas. Sorry but AoC is goin down :(

Comments

• ElrynduilElrynduil Member UncommonPosts: 4

I don't get this post. From it, I figure you're the type that doesn't want to play a game unless it has millions of people playing. 200k is not the death of an MMO, not by a long shot.

If you're not having fun, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm having a blast as is my guild (~100 players).

• miket121miket121 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Elrynduil

I don't get this post. From it, I figure you're the type that doesn't want to play a game unless it has millions of people playing. 200k is not the death of an MMO, not by a long shot.

If you're not having fun, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm having a blast as is my guild (~100 players).

I figure you don't know how much it takes to run an MMO. To create new content, manage current servers, get good customer service takes ALOT of money. Dipping too low with subscribers will end up with less staff, meaning less quality and quantity. You can already see how low funcom is going with the user mods who are doing a horrible job in most cases, soon they will take interns who are still in college so they can pay minimum wage for programming.

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by miket121
    Originally posted by Elrynduil I don't get this post. From it, I figure you're the type that doesn't want to play a game unless it has millions of people playing. 200k is not the death of an MMO, not by a long shot.

I figure you don't know how much it takes to run an MMO. To create new content, manage current servers, get good customer service takes ALOT of money. Dipping too low with subscribers will end up with less staff, meaning less quality and quantity. You can already see how low funcom is going with the user mods who are doing a horrible job in most cases, soon they will take interns who are still in college so they can pay minimum wage for programming.

I have to agree...200k actives would keep aoc alive. But I dont think in 6 months they will have that many. My guess is that AoC will have around 50k actives in 6 months unless they make some major changes to this game. People just arent going to stick around in a game with nothing to do.

• ElrynduilElrynduil Member UncommonPosts: 4

I am fully aware of the monetary cost of keeping an MMO going. 200k subscribers is more than enough. Look at UO, a successful but very much niche game that never had a massive player base.

AoC was always a niche game. It won't have millions of players. If you're too shallow and immature to play a game because of that fact then go elsewhere.

• miket121miket121 Member Posts: 7

Alot of people misunderstand me, I don't hate AoC, not at all. I hate Funcom. They are probably one of the worst companies I've seen in a while. They are brining in crappy volunteer mods who most of the time have horrible judgment, and they have a large number of problems they can't seem to fix. Now maybe I'm being a bit selfish, but tbh I've been spoiled by amazing companies like Blizzard and Valve. The biggest thing Blizz and Valve have going (which funcom lacks) is the ability to learn from their mistakes, and come back bigger and better. AO had a terrible release and was buggy... well basically for the whole time it was out. Funcom did not manage to fix their issues with programming and are suffering greatly because of it.

• UbieUbie Member Posts: 185

Dude......you do realize any negative post against AoC or Funcom will bring out the Fanboi Brigade.  Most are so invested in AoC/Funcom that any negative post is perceived as a personal attack against them.  All you have to do is read a few post and the same group of people HAVE to chime in, no matter how small the slight against their "Precious".

• revelatorXrevelatorX Member Posts: 60

good point about blizz and valve. 2 great companies!.. and remember both of them started off small and did such great games that they grew. that's why i laugh when the fanboi's say well blizz has billions of dollars.

• BodyBuilderBodyBuilder Member Posts: 176

Lol.  You beat me to it.

If they game levels off at 500,000 players, or even 200,000.

Quick math if you please...

500,000 x $15 = $7,500,000

200,000 x $15 = $3,000,000

If you consider that fail...

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by Ubie

Dude......you do realize any negative post against AoC or Funcom will bring out the Fanboi Brigade.  Most are so invested in AoC/Funcom that any negative post is perceived as a personal attack against them.  All you have to do is read a few post and the same group of people HAVE to chime in, no matter how small the slight against their "Precious".

Unfortunately, yes, and the same is also true the other way around. Look up the positive posts/threads and count the number from the Hate Brigade in those. If people could just accept that opinions differ, and no opinion is right, wrong, better or worse, that's be great. Not going to happen, of course. I'm sure some will even label me fanboi for pointing out that haters are as bad as fanbois, but that's the internet for you.

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by Ubie

The thing that makes people chime in isn't this imaginary devotion you seem so obessed with, it's just plain boredom with seeing the same moronic 'Beavis & Butthead' style comments over & over again. e.g. Age of CONan, Failcom, FunCON........zzzzz. Oh sorry I was falling asleep again just listing them.

Even though I don't agree with him, at least the OP in this case was trying to be articulate.

Before you comment, nope I'm not a Fanbois either I just currently enjoy playing the game. When WAR comes out I will try that & if it seems better I may very well switch. MMOs are just games so slavish devotion isn't required, just sufficient interest to justify the minimal ongoing cost.

The only people that seem obsessed are the 'Hatebois', if they quit AoC months ago then why are they wasting valuable time trolling about it when they could be doing something more interesting instead?

Just my opinion of course!

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• demo3210demo3210 Member Posts: 112

I wouldn't consider 200,000 a failure either really.  SWG had only about 300,000 for the longest time and still they churned out updates consistently and added content (although it went downhill after CU and NGE for sure but that was internal issues with the co. i believe).

But look at the flipside:

WOW:

10,000,000 X 15= 150,000,000 compared to

300,000 X 15 = 4,500,000

And WOW doesn't add these extravagent updates loading up millions of dollar worth of content per month to keep players engaged.  I hope they are investing in their second MMORPG cuz i dont see where all the money is going to be honest...

AOC isn't dead and to those that are skeptics....AOC isn't dead yet!

• NodaedNodaed Member Posts: 31

AOC is same as dead.  Only thing keeping the game alive is that WOTLK and WAR are not out yet.  The screwups and lying devs take care of the rest.

Remember - Death never looked so hot... (with Norwegian accent)

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by Dreamagram

If people could just accept that opinions differ, and no opinion is right, wrong, better or worse, that's be great.

No it wouldn't.  Where would we derive fun if we all thought the same? 

Also, whilst opinions differ - some peoples opinions are just plain incorrect.

Not going to happen, of course.

Nope.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

I don't think AoC is dead yet. But it certainly needs to motor on and finish with this paid beta stage...

I will certainly try WAR and am considering trying lich king (although WOW makes me feel a little nauseous - too much gear grind, insufficient world pvp).

But from what I see of WAR, while the RvR concept seems well thought out, the combat vids look really slow and uninspiring. Animations appear lacklustre.

I think people will be surprised post AoC how dull combat can be in other MMOs. (At least if they have played a mellee char).

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by Tawn47

If people could just accept that opinions differ, and no opinion is right, wrong, better or worse, that's be great.

No it wouldn't.  Where would we derive fun if we all thought the same? 

Also, whilst opinions differ - some peoples opinions are just plain incorrect.

Not going to happen, of course.

Nope.

Technically an opinion that is proved to be correct becomes a 'Fact', whereas one that is proved to be both incorrect & incredibly stupid would be a 'Phallousy'.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by demo3210

I wouldn't consider 200,000 a failure either really.  SWG had only about 300,000 for the longest time and still they churned out updates consistently and added content (although it went downhill after CU and NGE for sure but that was internal issues with the co. i believe).
    WOW:
    300,000 X 15 = 4,500,000
    And WOW doesn't add these extravagent updates loading up millions of dollar worth of content per month to keep players engaged.  I hope they are investing in their second MMORPG cuz i dont see where all the money is going to be honest...
    AOC isn't dead and to those that are skeptics....AOC isn't dead yet!

The extra money is going back into the accounts they created at blizzard to hype that Pile up with because to be honest the lack of extra content to WoW baffles me on how the player base stays. The game isn't that great but i guess monkey see monkey do.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I am fully aware of the monetary cost of keeping an MMO going. 200k subscribers is more than enough. Look at UO, a successful but very much niche game that never had a massive player base.

AoC was always a niche game. It won't have millions of players. If you're too shallow and immature to play a game because of that fact then go elsewhere.

This is so much untrue. AoC is currently placed second in the amount of money spent on advertisment (after WoW). AoC is mainstreamed MMORPG with plans to keep 300-400k subscribers otherwise they have to start kicking half of the dev team.

REALITY CHECK

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Originally posted by Thillian

This is so much untrue. AoC is currently placed second in the amount of money spent on advertisment (after WoW). AoC is mainstreamed MMORPG with plans to keep 300-400k subscribers otherwise they have to start kicking half of the dev team.

Ouch.  It's looking like bye bye dev team then.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

I wouldn't consider 200,000 a failure either really.  SWG had only about 300,000 for the longest time and still they churned out updates consistently and added content
    WOW:

No offence  but iirc  5m-5.5m of 10m accounts from asian and not paying 15$ monthly .Can anybody with info want to share what is payments for wow at asian countries?

• Shai'tanShai'tan Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by jagd1

I wouldn't consider 200,000 a failure either really.  SWG had only about 300,000 for the longest time and still they churned out updates consistently and added content
    WOW:

No offence  but iirc  5m-5.5m of 10m accounts from asian and not paying 15$ monthly .Can anybody with info want to share what is payments for wow at asian countries?

I don't know about asian players but 2,5 million european players pay about 20$ a month...