Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC vs. LoTRO

I apologize in advance for the misleading topic.  Having said that I think it's important to note that I haven't played AoC but I have played LoTRO.

This is more about a different perspective and about the LoTRO fans coming over bashing AoC and why I think they really have no room to bash at all or compare.  Yes, LoTRO had a very smooth launch however LoTRO has never released any new servers, had to use a massive amount of gimmick/hype and advertisement and has yet to release any sales milestones like 500k or one million sales.

In fact Turbine seems almost desperate in their attempts to get new subscriptions with their constant $9.95 a month offers if you join up now and so forth.  Furthermore, you seen and still see LoTRO ads plastered everywhere but yet you still haven't seen any new servers.  To me, I think LoTRO was just as hyped, if not more so, with gimmicks everywhere thrown at customers ($200 lifetime subs, $9.95 a month founder stuff) it might have been more hyped and marketed than AoC.

The reason that is is LoTRO is really really 'casual niche'.  For me, it was one of the lamest, shallowest games I've ever played in my life.  Everything about it's whole game rules system, progression, etc was formulaic.   I enjoyed Silkroad much more and in my opinion it had a far better character advancement system than LoTRO.  Though, I will give LoTRO credit for how it did harvesting for Inscription/Scribes.

Turbine paid alot for the polish and smooth launch (probably the smoothest ever) but I think that AoC has already outsold LoTRO despite LoTRO being out for over a year now.  In the end, from the sounds of it though and knowing Funcom's record, LoTRO (which does have a steady retention rate now) will probably end up having more subscriptions than AoC in a few months time.

LoTRO's population is down to the point that people who have stuck around, are content with the bone thrown to them every few months.   This will keep LoTRO healthy for a good number of years from now.  From the sounds of it though AoC may end up being another AO.

To wrap things up I'd like to add that from what I read about AoC, even in highscored reviews, is that it's extremely shallow but offers an excellent starting area.   Nothing about AoC sounds appealing, even the combat system.   Hacking off heads and seeing blood seems like it'd be intriguing for the first couple of hours but after that I wouldn't care.  Boobs and sex? I get that IRL.  100 versus 100 sieges? Concept wise it sounds fun and interesting but in practice it'll never turn out how you imagine it will and I cannot imagine the bugs/lag it causes.  Furthermore, cutscenes for NPCs? In all honesty that sounds almost cheap in a way and ultimately very annoying.  I couldn't stand the similar stuff done in games like 9 Dragons.  Again, very cheap and I think Funcom using it as a gimmick of sorts just makes it worse.

splat

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

I haven't played AoC
    Not really a valid thread then, is it?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• revelatorXrevelatorX Member Posts: 60

well i never tried LOTRO because i always play a caster. :p

• JquikJquik Member Posts: 130

I have played them both and have not gotten to max level on either. I think LoTRO is more fun as a casual or a hardcore gamer.

Leveling was pretty simple in both of them, maybe a bit too easy in AoC though.  Main thing I didint like was the combat though. I thought I would love a new system but it seemed like every skill did the same exact thing. I just had to hit in a spot where he wasnt guarding.

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321

Dethnoble, go back to the vault forums.

Oh wait, those guys know you too well and ignore you over there and you're an attention fiend.

Doh, looks like I just gave you attention ... won't happen again.

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419

Yeah Rebn77, my post count and number of years as a registered member here gives that away doesn't it? LOL.  Cannot handle the fact that your LoTRO game has already gotten outsold by AoC even with it's horrid launch?

splat

• PrometeuPrometeu Member UncommonPosts: 33

I played both and IMO they have very little in common. You can compare Lotro to WoW or any other WoW clone outthere, but not AoC.

FC had the guts to bring innovation to a market full of wow clones and they have to pay for that.

AOC is full of bugs and needs alot of tweaking and content to be aded but is best game outthere for me ad list - and i have played a few :)

Prometeu - Bear Shaman - Wildsoul

Always a Keeper of The Dark Side [KDS]
    Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321

LotRO may have been "Outsold" by AoC,  but LotRO has held more subscribers than AoC will. FC has shown just how incompetent they are at listening to their customers. Where as Turbine has not only listened, but implemented, customer suggestions and ideas.