Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Assurance

detectiveLdetectiveL Member Posts: 24

Last year, i had broken WoW's hold on my soul. ^_^      Anyway, I have been seaching for a new MM, and my brilliant cousin mentioned FFXI. After some late night research sessions, I came to love alot about this game. But now WoW seems to be calling e, mainly because of it's popularity in the gaming universe. Anyway could somebody help shake this feeling and tell me what make FFXI so awsome? And i would also like to know with that new SE MMO comming soon, is FFXI going to be forgotten? Thanks!                                 <(^_^<) <(^_^)> (>^_^)>

Comments

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Story, job system, depth, ect. They definitely know how to tell a story.

It'll be around for a long time still. They said in an interview that they want the new MMO to exist with XI. It's not meant to be a total replacement.

This game is one of the most played MMO's. So, it's pretty popular itself. WoW just appeals to casual players more. So, there are obviously more of them than anything.

If you stick with it, I think you'll be satisfied. This game has plenty to offer and more keeps coming.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Satimasu
    Story, job system, depth, ect. They definitely know how to tell a story.
    It'll be around for a long time still. They said in an interview that they want the new MMO to exist with XI. It's not meant to be a total replacement.
    This game is one of the most played MMO's. So, it's pretty popular itself. WoW just appeals to casual players more. So, there are obviously more of them than anything.
    If you stick with it, I think you'll be satisfied. This game has plenty to offer and more keeps coming.

What he said. I often regard FFXI as the stealth MMO; it's actually very popular, but it doesn't get much hype. FFXI has been and still is the most popular MMO after WoW and Lineage I && II. At 500,000 subscribers, it still has a very large player base.

• patrynspatryns Member UncommonPosts: 81

Which server would you recommend for a new player?

• blooblobblooblob Member Posts: 134

Hey i'm thinking about getting this game for the xbox 360, my question is: are the servers separated? or do all platforms play on the same servers. or do they do both?

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Hard to say which server is best to start on since I've only been on one server, and that's Kujata. Everything has been fine and dandy here.

Consoles play on the same servers as PC and vise versa. You don't have to worry about being separated by consoles.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

Asura an Odin have the best population, as for the new SE MMO and FFXI being forgetton just look at EQ when EQ2 came out. Is EQ still running , yes it is quite well actually for one of the oldest MMO's around all you need is the fan base of a game to keep it going and FFXI has a die hard fan base so this game won't be going anywhere soon.

• detectiveLdetectiveL Member Posts: 24

Thanks everyone. WoW did have a pretty bad community and why else play an MMO then to play with other fun people? And I thank I can handle a lot of grinding as long as I make some good friends to grind with! And story is importiant to me to, plus, it is final fantasy. I don't know why I even gave WoW a second thought! ^_^  Thanks agian everyone, WoW has totally lost touch with my gamer soul now, ^_^   I am planning to play on odin or asura, so I'll see you guys around!     ; )

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

this is just a thought but I think most people from these forums play on Asura i'm not a 100% on that but I remember seeing alot of post about people claiming to be on asura I know some play on other servers also but if you want to find people to exp with im sure plenty on these forums are massed on one server.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by blooblob
     Hey i'm thinking about getting this game for the xbox 360, my question is: are the servers separated? or do all platforms play on the same servers. or do they do both?

The servers are unified. All users play on all servers, and the same account can be logged into freely from different platforms (I myself switch between using the PC and the PS2).

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

FFXl was frustrating as hell for me.  Dont play this game unless you have tons of time to invest.  The main thing that really hurt my gaming experience was that grouping is a necessity.  Its rough, specially when you only have 2-3 hours to spend and you dont feel like going through the hassle of finding other people to level with.  I heard the game is fantastic and very deep both in story and content but it wasn't for me.

P.S. VERY different from WoW.  Give FFXl a try if you want.  I suggest getting the playstation 2 version or getting a USB gaming controller for your computer, it helps a lot for the FFXI mechanics.