Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trojan on MMORPG?

coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Get thsi popup everytime I go to www.mmorpg.com or refresh the main page.. dos not happen on other pages of mmorpg.

Comments

• laurius123laurius123 Member Posts: 27

Yes i get what to. Whats pretty anoying.

• DawnJWDawnJW Member Posts: 108

This is not a Trojan... This is a Web Script of MMORPG.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Yep, AVG is catching one or more Trojans from this site as of about 10 minutes ago.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DawnJWDawnJW Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by laurius123

Yes i get what to. Whats pretty anoying.

Then allow this site.

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

Getting a similar issue here.  It's asking to allow some sort of remote data plugin and AVG showing a virus!  I'm certainly not willing to give ANY site remote data control...

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Same here. Worked fine this morning now I get a browser exploit warning on Norton.

It reads: MSIE ADODB. Stream Object File Installation Weakness

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• vitcvitc Member Posts: 8

Yup, me too on Kaspersky: detected Trojan program 'Exploit.JS.RealPlr.u'.

I don't care if this is a legitimate script - I DON'T like this kind of warnings ( ever since the DNS cache poisining )

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Yep I also just got the kapersky warning for a trojan,wether it is legit or not I wont be allowing it on my pc,I pay for the secriuty on my pc for a reason so when it says its a trojan I take its word for it pure and simple.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by daylight01

Yep I also just got the kapersky warning for a trojan,wether it is legit or not I wont be allowing it on my pc,I pay for the secriuty on my pc for a reason so when it says its a trojan I take its word for it pure and simple.

Obviously its legit if everyone is having problems with it.

• BodyBuilderBodyBuilder Member Posts: 176

I will crush the issue with my massive biceps! 

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

Originally posted by daylight01

Obviously its legit if everyone is having problems with it.

Not sure what you mean by "legit", but as far as it being acceptable, I don't think it is.  Someone on the site needs to do something so it remains safe, stable, and reliable.  Sites with unnecessary scripts and activeX controls are usually the ones you can't trust (not saying this is the case here, but many will find it fishy and avoid the site).  I really hope a mod looks at this ASAP and fixes the problem.  I don't like clicking "remove threat" every time I go to the homepage.  Maybe it's an issue with one of their MANY advertisements and banners...

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by coffee

Get thsi popup everytime I go to www.mmorpg.com or refresh the main page.. dos not happen on other pages of mmorpg.

Thanks for letting us know! I will pass thsi along to those who know better than I.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Wow its been awhile since this sites been hit with one of these.  I saw it on the front page as well.  I haven't seen it on the forums yet.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

AVG could be the worst fw ever created and wouldn't be surprised if its just a bad recognition. I have no warnings with symantec 2007.

REALITY CHECK

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

It appears some little script-kiddie found a way into our polls database table, the issue was anywhere you were seeing a poll.  We have removed the reference to the script from the database.

For future reference, do not ever accept any scripts like this.  Our scripts should not give you these kind of warnings, ever.

We are sorry about this and will be watching it very closely to see if future attacks occur.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by Thillian

AVG could be the worst fw ever created and wouldn't be surprised if its just a bad recognition. I have no warnings with symantec 2007.

Points to the post from the Admin.  Oops?  lol  just poking fun.  Nothing ment by it.   If your using firefox that might be why your not seeing it.   I know in the past when this site was hit like every other day for a week or 2 straight firefox user's were saying they never saw anything.   

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by JayBirdz

Originally posted by Thillian

Points to the post from the Admin.  Oops?  lol  just poking fun.  Nothing ment by it.   If your using firefox that might be why your not seeing it.   I know in the past when this site was hit like every other day for a week or 2 straight firefox user's were saying they never saw anything.   

lol yeah, I'm using firefox and havent seen anything pop up, though is that necessarily a good or bad thing?

• vitcvitc Member Posts: 8

Thanks for fixing it...

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

It is an ActiveX thing, so Firefox users are immune to it.  IE7 required you to accept the script from the top pop up bar warning.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Admin

It is an ActiveX thing, so Firefox users are immune to it.  IE7 required you to accept the script from the top pop up bar warning.

Firefox might have been immune, but my AVG wasn't happy with it and gave me 2 warnings on occasion.  Glad you guys tracked it down.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lorechaserlorechaser Member Posts: 124

Threads like this make it really hard not to gloat about Firefox/Opera....

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    Badjuju, Splinterhoof, Plainsrunner on WoW (Moonrunner)
    Shyy'rissk on SWG (Flurry)
    ClockworkSoldier, HE Pierce, Letnev on Planetside
    Gyshe, Crucible, Terrakal on DDO
    And many more.

• BodyBuilderBodyBuilder Member Posts: 176

No need to.

I will personally never install or use Firefox.  Just personal peference.

Some people like orange flavor, others like grape.  Some like both... for me, I like IE.

• chop3593chop3593 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by BodyBuilder

No need to.
    I will personally never install or use Firefox.  Just personal peference.
    Some people like orange flavor, others like grape.  Some like both... for me, I like IE.

Until you get infected by something

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by DawnJW
    Originally posted by laurius123 Yes i get what to. Whats pretty anoying.

Then allow this site.

You couldn't have gave any more of worst advice. You could have caused members to get a virus. You don't just accept scripts like that, it scares me that you are an administrator for any site. At least know your viruses and the warnings of them before offering any help.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.