Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perfomance rincrease: all AMD/ATI or a mix?

SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I wondering if there was a performance increase for getting all AMD/ATI components rather than a mix. For example Phenom 9850 BE, MSI 790FX mobo and HD4870x2 versus Intel Q9950, Intel x38 mobo and the HD4870x2.

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

There is indeed an increase.  AMD is also getting ready to release a new SouthBridge that increases performance further.  However, it isn't the best performance around.  For that you still want a Intel/nVidia combo.  When it comes to performance per dollar though, a complete AMD/ATI system outdoes everything.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Im with Cliffy there.

Now if we could just get them to learn how to Program Drivers We could beat Nvida ;p

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• BodyBuilderBodyBuilder Member Posts: 176

Are you buying AMD/ATI because they are cheaper?  If you can afford to, I wouldn't.

I know this sounds bias, but facts are facts.  But I do know you can still get one hell of a machine for pretty cheap with AMD/ATI.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

I do believe you will get most "bang4buck" with amd/ati. But if you can, or want to, you should really go with Intel/nvida becuse of its performance in games like Crysis and games like that. . 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• p4nd4m45t3rp4nd4m45t3r Member Posts: 24

without a budget

intel > AMD

nvidia > ATI

its just a fact... HOWEVER, with the advent of the 4800 series I would buy ATI over nvidia because of the price difference in the cards (even after the price drop).

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839
    Originally posted by CleffyII

There is indeed an increase.  AMD is also getting ready to release a new SouthBridge that increases performance further.  However, it isn't the best performance around.  For that you still want a Intel/nVidia combo.  When it comes to performance per dollar though, a complete AMD/ATI system outdoes everything.

that southbridge isnt good to go yet, from my understanding since atleast the board it has been announced on doesnt have pcie 2.0 interface

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839
    Originally posted by p4nd4m45t3r

without a budget
    intel > AMD

nvidia > ATI

its just a fact... HOWEVER, with the advent of the 4800 series I would buy ATI over nvidia because of the price difference in the cards (even after the price drop).

$100-150 tie

$150-200 ATI

200-300 ATI

400+ nvidia (Althought the x2 4870 will shut them up very soon)

As for processors, follow same idea, Mid- low AMD wins, super high end, no price limits, Intel

Black editions are one of the best ideas they had so far.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

AMD will multi task better and Intel will handle one program faster.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• BodyBuilderBodyBuilder Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by Arndur

Lol.

And I've seen about 50000000000000 things saying YOU ARE WRONG.

Thanks for playing today's game show!  Sorry, try again.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

AMD does actually multi-task better because the cores are independant.  Unlike a current Core 2 Quad, you can process 4 tasks individually with completely different data loaded into the L2 cache.  With a Core2 Quad, the L2 cache is mirrored.  This is particularly evident in HTCP tasks where the AMD quads have a firm performance lead.

Ya the SB750 isn't really that complete, however it does support RAID 0,1,and 5 as well as offer a 100~500 mhz overclock.  It reminds me more of the HD3xxx series.  Its not really that ground breaking, but shows there is a competitive aspect to AMDs platform idea.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by BodyBuilder

Originally posted by Arndur

Lol.

And I've seen about 50000000000000 things saying YOU ARE WRONG.

Thanks for playing today's game show!  Sorry, try again.

Hmmm guess your wrong. Also AMD has 7 lines of input Intel only has 6.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD