Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Funcom buy LoTRO ???

Ok so i left AoC to play LoTRO the first 2 weeks was fantastic (almost like AoC but better). Then the new Book 14 gets patched in.

I can no longer play, i can't log in, and the 2 times i have been able to log in i get rubber banding anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes long. So basically unplayable since Book 14s release.

So today after my 21st attempt at playing the game i am paying for,  i decide to go to the forums on there main site. Slow...  not slow like alot of traffic slow... but slow like DNS attack slow. (not that i think this is what is happening). After about 10 minutes of reloading attempts i finally get into the general game play page. I post asking if this was a common thing after patch release, get 3 replies, and then i cannot refresh or reply to anything.

So now the forums on there main site are basically down. So not intending to flame Turbine but this really feels like i went back to AoC.

Edit: also the complete silence from the developers (just like Funcom) is DEAFENING.

Comments

• tfox2k1tfox2k1 Member Posts: 215

Not even remotely close.   LOTRO has been out for slightly more than a year and like most MMOs when a large patch is added there are issues on occasion.   Turbine is working on it.     Happens in all MMOs and tend to happen far less in LOTRO.

• DradiinDradiin Member Posts: 259
    Originally posted by tfox2k1

Happens in all MMOs and tend to happen far less in LOTRO.

No it does not Happen in all MMOs, especially ones that have been out for over a year. Thanks for your optimism but seriously, i can't play, neither can anyone else on my server.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

When I played SWG during the CU there would always be downtime after the patch. And it wasn't just 2-3 hours either, it would be 8 hours or so. So yeah, it happens.

Huh ?

The patch was 2-3 days ago.

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68

Yes, it pretty much happens in all mmo's no matter how long they have been around.  EQ, AO, SWG, etc, etc.  When it was big patch day, you hoped to be back on at some time.  EVE has been around for quite a while and they always say to set a long skill before they go down on patch day because you never know if a problem will occur.  Playing EQ, it was considered normal after a big patch for something to pop up and the game get taken down again for a while.  Just give them some time and you will be playing again.  Has been a part of mmo's since mmo's started. 

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321

You Sir must be new to MMOs. LotRO has had far less patch day problems than any other MMO I have played in the last 11 1/2 years.

Go back to AoC

Yeah, because we as consumers of MMOs should just accept that getting the shaft is a common practice and therefore should be just tolerated.

Sorry but i do not prescribe to poor/short sighted development , nor should anyone else. Just because most of you perceive that the normal for MMOs is crappy patching does not make it right, nor should we all just sit back and say awww its ok .

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Making a comparison between Funcom and Turbine? 

Hmmm ........ I'm thinking you lost some credibility points with that one.

~Hairysun~

OMG man, you wasted how much money and time on AoC and you're complaining about one of the most polished and stable MMOs ever?

Umm how can you say polished and stable right now with a straight face.

Well, you might be happy with the game never getting changed or expanded in any way.   I would like to see my monthly fee going to improvements, additions, more fun stuff to do.  Surprisingly, a large game played by lots of people on widely varying hardware logging in from all over the world and made up of miles of code can have the occasional issues.  ooohhh...ugly sentence...  Anyhow, their few QA testers relative to game populations and normally underpopulated test servers can let bugs slip by.  I agree that consumers should stand up and not be expected to pay and pay for nothing.  I also believe that reality needs to be part of life as well.  Even if it sucks now and again. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by Hairysun

~Hairysun~

OP... you really should be used to getting continual disconnects, crappy customer service, game-breaking bugs, etc... with EACH patch while playing AoC.  However, this is not even close to a usual occurrence with LoTRO.  And, the comparison of AoC's issues with Turbines issues just shows how completely clueless you actually are and your true colors.  Therefore, you have no room for complaining. 

It's just some issues that cropped up with the game during the last book.  If you don't like it, then unsub.  I guarantee that if you act like this ingame, you will not be missed by the community.

Have to agree with solareus.  From beta to launch to general day to day, LOTRO has consistently been very stable and dependable.  I have confidence they will recover from their first major glitch and be back on track.  You can't make any conclusions from a test sample of 1.  Trends are where the real answers lie.

Originally posted by Vato26

~Hairysun~

OP... you really should be used to getting continual disconnects, crappy customer service, game-breaking bugs, etc... with EACH patch while playing AoC.  However, this is not even close to a usual occurrence with LoTRO.  And, the comparison of AoC's issues with Turbines issues just shows how completely clueless you actually are and your true colors.  Therefore, you have no room for complaining. 

It's just some issues that cropped up with the game during the last book.  If you don't like it, then unsub.  I guarantee that if you act like this ingame, you will not be missed by the community.

That is the second response i have read from you Vato and in both your telling new players or potentially new players to pack up and leave.

If there are issues with a game making it impossible to play, the forums are where we as a player can vent our frustrations and sound off on what we think is wrong. Constantly telling potentially new players to leave does nothing to help improve the community.

As for me posting this subject, i am not happy that since the release of Book14 i have not been able to enjoy this game that the 2 weeks previously i could and did enjoy.  I maybe negative right now but i have yet to leave the game. This game might have been stable and stellar before book14 but there is a live test server for a reason.

Belittle my opinions and put be down for my short sightedness , but this game as with any other with the exception of WoW needs every subscriber it can get. Constantly telling others to Quit does more of a dis-service to the game then any of my negative comments about the game.

It is a good thing i have been in MMOs long enough to grow a thick skin to players like you Vato, i just hope that your thoughtless attacks on those who do not have such forum armor, make them take your shoddy advice and actually leave the game.

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796
    Originally posted by Dradiin

Ok so i left AoC to play LoTRO the first 2 weeks was fantastic (almost like AoC but better). Then the new Book 14 gets patched in.
    I can no longer play, i can't log in, and the 2 times i have been able to log in i get rubber banding anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes long. So basically unplayable since Book 14s release.
    So today after my 21st attempt at playing the game i am paying for,  i decide to go to the forums on there main site. Slow...  not slow like alot of traffic slow... but slow like DNS attack slow. (not that i think this is what is happening). After about 10 minutes of reloading attempts i finally get into the general game play page. I post asking if this was a common thing after patch release, get 3 replies, and then i cannot refresh or reply to anything.
    So now the forums on there main site are basically down. So not intending to flame Turbine but this really feels like i went back to AoC.
    Edit: also the complete silence from the developers (just like Funcom) is DEAFENING.

I agree with some of the others... you need to go back to AoC.

To even TRY to compare Turbine with Failcom is insane.  If you know as much about MMO's as you claim to know, you're well aware of the incredible polish LOTRO had at launch and has been for the most part bug free since.

To have some problems occur this week with the release of an update which is NOT t ypical of Turbine, yet to compare them with one of the worst MMO companies around is just trying to stir up trouble.

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

Dradiin, Sorry for getting so defensive. I just loath Funcom for the whole AoC thing (Bought a new high end PC, 2 CEs, 1 standard edition that I mailed to the UK for a friend, plus 2 zboards, and 2 AoC keysets).

Honestly this is the first real issue since some minor issues at launch. The game has been wonderfully stable after every book addition. This is not the norm, and I believe that Turbine will have it corrected as quickly as possible.  Usually the Devs and CS are very responsive on the boards, I'm guessing they are just so busy with trying to get it sorted that they haven't had much time.

• frontlynefrontlyne Member UncommonPosts: 5

I think what folk are saying is that LotR has earned alot of its subscriber's confidence.  Yes this new patch didn't go as planned, but with all the work and effort the devs have put into every other patch, its easy to look past this one, at least that's how it is for me.

To the OP, obviously you're still feeling the after effects of Conan.

• samuraislyrsamuraislyr Member Posts: 122

To the OP....with the release of book 14, the servers have had some major strain on them. THere was a patch a few days ago but that didn't quite fix everything and so Turbine brought the servers down as an emergency to fix it. I would calm down, relax and wait. Probably took the forum server down as well and that's why you can't see the dev communication. They have told us and they will continue to once the problem is fixed.

Really I would just subscribe lifetime if you like the game and then when the servers crash, you don't have to care so much.

Originally posted by Rebn77

Dradiin, Sorry for getting so defensive. I just loath Funcom for the whole AoC thing (Bought a new high end PC, 2 CEs, 1 standard edition that I mailed to the UK for a friend, plus 2 zboards, and 2 AoC keysets).
    Honestly this is the first real issue since some minor issues at launch. The game has been wonderfully stable after every book addition. This is not the norm, and I believe that Turbine will have it corrected as quickly as possible.  Usually the Devs and CS are very responsive on the boards, I'm guessing they are just so busy with trying to get it sorted that they haven't had much time.

I agree with you 100%, so what if i made a troll post, i am agitated and angry that this is happening.

What i am finding rather odd, especially after my first post on this forum when i came to this game 2 weeks ago   http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/189312. In this post all i did was talk about how i loved the community and how supportive they are.  Now with this thread i see there true colors, 2 have told me to leave the game, why? Because the game i have come to enjoy has frustrated me to the point where i want to post something inflammatory ?

Thats exactly it to i do not hate LoTRO my comment about Funcom purchasing LoTRO is my perception of how i feel this recent update has been handled by Turbine. It, to me resembles how Funcom is handling AoC and therefore the comparison is correct. Of course this is my opinion, and well opinions are like butts ... everyone's got one.

I will not appologize for saying what i did because at the time i posted it i feel that is how things have been handled. At least i am not telling others to quit the game because they might be frustrated.

I think my initial opinion of this community has been soured.

Originally posted by Vato26

~Hairysun~

That is the second response i have read from you Vato and in both your telling new players or potentially new players to pack up and leave.

If there are issues with a game making it impossible to play, the forums are where we as a player can vent our frustrations and sound off on what we think is wrong. Constantly telling potentially new players to leave does nothing to help improve the community.

As for me posting this subject, i am not happy that since the release of Book14 i have not been able to enjoy this game that the 2 weeks previously i could and did enjoy.  I maybe negative right now but i have yet to leave the game. This game might have been stable and stellar before book14 but there is a live test server for a reason.

Belittle my opinions and put be down for my short sightedness , but this game as with any other with the exception of WoW needs every subscriber it can get. Constantly telling others to Quit does more of a dis-service to the game then any of my negative comments about the game.

It is a good thing i have been in MMOs long enough to grow a thick skin to players like you Vato, i just hope that your thoughtless attacks on those who do not have such forum armor, make them take your shoddy advice and actually leave the game.

I'm sorry, but when you start spewing forth crap about using AoC in the same sentence with LoTRO, you've stepped over the line of "opinion" and gone into "pure lunacy".  Not to mention your other tirades speaks a lot about your character.

Yes, the servers are down currently.  Yes, it was due to issues with Book 14.  However, this is not a norm for LoTRO.  If you would've asked if this was the norm rather than go off on a tirade and accuse Turbine of selling LoTRO to FuncoN then you would've been received a lot better.  And, the comparison of a game with arguably the worst launch ever (AoC) and a company that has absolutely no frackin' clue what they are doing with their game (FuncoN) with a company (Turbine) that has published one of the most polished MMORPG's ever (LoTRO) is asinine.

I also never fully told you to leave.  I merely made a suggestion, based off of your replying statements (which shows behavior) that you clearly are displeased with the situation.  Therefore, it's in your power to show your dissatisfaction with the situation by unsubbing if you do so choose.  Also, based on your tirading posts (again, shows behavior), if you acted like that in LoTRO, then the community would clearly not miss you.

Again, if you had handled yourself differently, then none of this would've occurred.

Vato, Back peddle all you want to but you did tell me and another today to leave the game.

Yes comparing LoTRO to the trash that is AoC is pure lunacy, and that was the point of this post, it was to represent how insane it is that Turbine has allowed this to continue for days after releasing Book14.

As for me leaving the game to make a statement... Why would i do that if i didn't feel like LoTRO was the right game for me? Obviously i am frustrated of the current situation but not that frustrated to quit the game, therefore where can i vent this frustration ?? Normally i would have said this, and updated this on the main site forums, but as we speak now those forums are as bad as the game servers. This leads me to come here to vent my frustration.

After my initial view of this community i never once would have imagined how fast you guys are to tell those who can't enjoy the game to leave it.

Vato, Back peddle all you want to but you did tell me and another today to leave the game.
    Yes comparing LoTRO to the trash that is AoC is pure lunacy, and that was the point of this post, it was to represent how insane it is that Turbine has allowed this to continue for days after releasing Book14.
    As for me leaving the game to make a statement... Why would i do that if i didn't feel like LoTRO was the right game for me? Obviously i am frustrated of the current situation but not that frustrated to quit the game, therefore where can i vent this frustration ?? Normally i would have said this, and updated this on the main site forums, but as we speak now those forums are as bad as the game servers. This leads me to come here to vent my frustration.
    After my initial view of this community i never once would have imagined how fast you guys are to tell those who can't enjoy the game to leave it.

<Dr. Evil voice> Riiiiiiiight.....

Backpeddling?  No... you just didn't read my original statement correctly.  And, since I tried to explain what I meant previously, and you failed to mentally grasp it, I do not believe repeating myself would actually solve the (your) problem.

It seems to me that you are the one who is doing backpeddling.  Trying to "explain" away the tirades you were spewing forth at the beginning of this thread.  Again, if you hadn't acted like that in the first place, and acted in a  more calm and civil manner, you wouldn't have to backpeddle.

• KrissKriss Member Posts: 34

it was to represent how insane it is that Turbine has allowed this to continue for days after releasing Book14. 

It is surprising how many people assume that a company "allows" bad things to happen. I'm almost positive that most self respecting companies do not enjoy bad things happening.

It is silly to sit and think that Turbine or any MMO company allows problems to occur in order to inadvertently tick off its consumer base, because after all that *is* where their money and profit come from...The consumers. A lot of people need to realize that things like this are out of their control, they do not wish them to happen, they do not pray to their deity to make it happen, and they almost never do it on purpose; thinking that is just insane.

It sucks that the servers are down and we can't play on a Friday night. Heck, I hope you do stay since you enjoy the game but just realize that some things are out of a companies control, despite their test servers and IT professionals crap happens, and mud slinging from either party is uncalled for. I'm sorry that some people may have accidentally soured your view of the LOTRO community but remember that the first person to speak often sets the tone of the conversation.

*spelling*

Das Uber Lurker!

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394

Originally posted by tfox2k1

Happens in all MMOs and tend to happen far less in LOTRO.

No it does not Happen in all MMOs, especially ones that have been out for over a year. Thanks for your optimism but seriously, i can't play, neither can anyone else on my server.

Tell Blizzard that.... Wow has been out for over 4 years and each and every patch has issues excluding the stuff they mess up gameplay wise.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.