Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im New To This Game!!!!!!

joey613joey613 Member Posts: 30

I just bought the gold edition. Server Bevedere Name is Comain and class is Ranger. Hibernia.

I have a couple of questions.

1. How do i start woodworking. I have boards and want to make a breadboard. so i click on the boards and press craft but it doesnt do anything. is there a place u need to be to craft? if there is then where?

2. Where is a good place to train at lvl 3? a good place to kill monsters.

3. And how much does a house cost? once i can woodwork im going to make myself furniture.

~Comain

Comments

• LedrirLedrir Member UncommonPosts: 69

Look in the top right hand corner of your computer screen. There is a drop down panel for your character.  Click the third circle (I think) it should show your skills.   Arrow down and you should see a skill called woodworking. Left click on the icon and  drag it to your action bar. This is the long bar on the left side of your screen.  After the icon is on the bar, left click the icon and it should show items you can make. Drag the icon for the item you want to make to your action bar and place it there.  If you have the proper wood you should be able to left click the icon and make the item.

I have just returned to the game and its been awhile since I have crafted so I hope my explanation helps.  On a side note you have picked what is known as a toa server rvr server.  I would recommend trying the Gaheris server out. Its a pve only server but it has a great community and is a great place to learn your way around the game.

• joey613joey613 Member Posts: 30

Thanks a TON!!!!

this really helped me out. and since im only lvl 3 ill try out gehiras.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Personally I wouldn't try out gaheris. The whole point of this game is the RvR. It might be nice at some point, but you're missing out on a lot if you go there. You can try one of the regular servers, that has toa, or the classic servers which usually has good population (did last time I was there). Also, just ask in the newbie guild you're put into about good places to hunt and such. I found them to be helpful when I came back and a lot of things changed.

• LedrirLedrir Member UncommonPosts: 69

I don't think these old servers are new player friendly. Its very hard to go to the old servers and get a rvr group much less win fights against high rr, templated characters.  The new Origins server may help solve this problem. Until Origins is released I believe Gaheris will be the best place for new players to learn the game.

Joey if you do want to try the pvp out, level a character to 24 on the classic servers and visit the battlegrounds. The classic servers are Gareth, Lamorak and Ector.

• CotswoldCotswold Member Posts: 70

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I agree that Gaheris (co-op) is a great place to *start* as a brand new player.  Not to say that staying there for good is the way to go, but learning the system and layout while not having the worry of "screwing" up your spec or temp or having the $ to get decent gear is a HUGE plus.  Playing a few classes from each realm also gives you a good idea about what realm you want to play as your main... and being able to do that on the same server with the same guild or "groupmates" is another major plus.  Also, with the Origins server coming soon, creating a "main" or RvR toon that you may be leaving might be tuff.  No matter what, I hope you love the game!

• nytemarehnytemareh Member UncommonPosts: 156

dude don't go to gaheris it is nothing more than a waste of time. you want a nice start come to gareth.

and by pure luck i have hibs there. throw me a tell i play xleigh or myleigh and i will help you out to get

started.

Originally posted by myleigh7

dude don't go to gaheris it is nothing more than a waste of time. you want a nice start come to gareth.
    and by pure luck i have hibs there. throw me a tell i play xleigh or myleigh and i will help you out to get
    started.

"...nothing more than a waste of time."  HAHAHA, oh man, thank you so much for that comment, I needed a good laugh today.  Playing an online video game isn't a waste of time at all... but playing on a co-op server is?  LMAO, whoo, funny stuff.  What is the basis of your statement that it is a waste of time?  No RvR?  Lower pop?  Playing on Gareth is a quality way to spend your time???  Do you have a stand-up act or just write jokes in your spare time that isn't being spent on Gareth?

Give the guy some facts and let him make up his own mind.  Everyone expects and wants something diff. out of the game(s) they play.  It's awesome you are willing to give him a hand starting out, but making a statement like that with no reason isn't helping anyone.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I'm sorry, but the classic servers are more elitist than any other cluster.  Yes, there are good people there, but it is just as "old" as ToA servers in regards to most of the players on the server.  Geheris is okay, and they are right, it is a good place to learn the game, I just didn't like the endgame.

Originally posted by joey613

I just bought the gold edition. Server Bevedere Name is Comain and class is Ranger. Hibernia.
    I have a couple of questions.
    1. How do i start woodworking. I have boards and want to make a breadboard. so i click on the boards and press craft but it doesnt do anything. is there a place u need to be to craft? if there is then where?
    2. Where is a good place to train at lvl 3? a good place to kill monsters.
    3. And how much does a house cost? once i can woodwork im going to make myself furniture.
    ~Comain

1.  woodworking is a subcraft.  Essentially it can do nothing but make you trinkets until you get it very high (1000), and then you can make saddlebags that players can actually use.  Note also that the items you make with woodcraft don't become real furniture.  You basically decorate your house with vendor bought goods or special loot off mobs.  If you are looking to craft as a ranger, look into tailoring.  Check with the local hib crafters which trade can make reinforced, because that is what you will be wearing after level 10.

2. Stick to the tutorial area, it will have appropriate quests and the mobs are weaker than mobs out in the real game.  You can stay there until level 16 or so, so get yourself accustomed to the game before you venture out of the tutorial islands.

3.  A house costs ~300 gold for the land, 1 plat for the house.  I think.  All I remember is the last time I set up the smallest house for myself with a porter and a bind, all total was over 2 plat.

• nytemarehnytemareh Member UncommonPosts: 156

definition of waste of time playing an rvr game on a pve co-op server. ummm...yeah i'll give him plat

and a guild not to have that bad taste left in his mouth.  by the way i believe the population on that

server speaks for itself.  really if you want to play a pvp/rvr game you don't do it on the pve coop server.

Originally posted by myleigh7

definition of waste of time playing an rvr game on a pve co-op server. ummm...yeah i'll give him plat
    and a guild not to have that bad taste left in his mouth.  by the way i believe the population on that
    server speaks for itself.  really if you want to play a pvp/rvr game you don't do it on the pve coop server.

Much better post, thanks for clearing that up.  I 100% agree that RvR is *the* reason to play DAoC as it is still so far advanced over EVERY other game out there.  Spending a week or 2 checking out all the realms and getting a feel for what they have and the classes they offer is never a bad thing tho when you 1st start the game. 

Really I just don't want him to play a hib   J/K of course.

I just wanted to mention i was wrong about woodworking.  I just looked at my crafter alt and they have expanded the list and apparently you CAN make household items through woodworking now.  I wouldn't recommend taking it up as a primary crafting skill though because the game mechanics still treat woodworking as a secondary skill.