Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlantica Online CBT Review - Turn Based MMORPG

2»

Comments

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

I was playing it last night and I found it to be, surprisingly, very fun.  It's too bad though that the game wasn't developed by an American company with more funding, but it's still nice.  I think in the future it will be fun mixing the different classes together and finding the more powerful combinations. If they have a way of storing merchant classes at end game I can see a lot of people collecting the different classes to add some diversity.  The turn based gameplay is a lot better than pressing 1,3,11 and mob is dead, the strategic factor is what makes it interesting.  They could do some really interesting things with pvp and town sieges.

• HellmarauderHellmarauder Member Posts: 178

Atlantica's graphics is actually a turn off for me, but its combat is fun and actually requires some thinking/planning.  The real meat of this game, though, is its political and economic system, both of which will put 95% of current mmo's to shame.  It's got a great gameplay concept but still has many rough edges.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

I will be trying this game as soon as the download is finished. From some screenies I saw on the website I can say the game looks alot like Sword of the New World in a graphical comparison no in style. I do agree that in graphics this game is on the top of the list with other mmos out right now. I also believe that by giving us the ability to use 9 "npc mercenaries(henchmen in GW terms)" we can have a lot of diversity but it only depends if those classes are actually unique in concept and not only in name.

I would like to know more info about some of the classes you listed, like the Princess and Viking. What do they do to make them unique? right now I cant think of anything to make a Viking different from a normal warrior and I dont even know what to think about the Princess.

Well I will be giving it a try. Another last bit, I hate the news that a Item Mall is coming, that sucks. If only it was purely cosmetic stuff and nothing to give superior powers to players or advantage over others.

Is there PvP? How is it?

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by vajuras

Normally turn based games have really great strategy to them because you have like forever to decide your next move. This allows developers to make the UI much more complex. For instance in Final fantasy I remember we used to have hundreds of spells we could scroll through.

Hundreds? nah..... Bascially in Final fantasy you used a few spells for each guy, the best ones, nobody sits there and scrolls through hundreds of spells lol.

Timed battles are what makes it fun, you have to use your brain and fast.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

Originally posted by Flex1

I will be trying this game as soon as the download is finished. From some screenies I saw on the website I can say the game looks alot like Sword of the New World in a graphical comparison no in style. I do agree that in graphics this game is on the top of the list with other mmos out right now. I also believe that by giving us the ability to use 9 "npc mercenaries(henchmen in GW terms)" we can have a lot of diversity but it only depends if those classes are actually unique in concept and not only in name.

I would like to know more info about some of the classes you listed, like the Princess and Viking. What do they do to make them unique? right now I cant think of anything to make a Viking different from a normal warrior and I dont even know what to think about the Princess.

Well I will be giving it a try. Another last bit, I hate the news that a Item Mall is coming, that sucks. If only it was purely cosmetic stuff and nothing to give superior powers to players or advantage over others.

Is there PvP? How is it?

Go here for deatiled info on most of the mercenary classes: http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/guide/mercenary01.asp

That is missing Spartan and Janissary though. All the rest have their details there(not all spells are listed).

In the game you can click the info boook and it will have all details on all the mercenaries and show you all the spells they learn, so thats the most informative way up to now.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

Thanks for the link.

And I agree with the OP. In the Final Fantasy games near the end the player is always using the same 4 to 5 spells, every other is just for show or having done 100% of what the game offers.

Originally posted by vajuras

Normally turn based games have really great strategy to them because you have like forever to decide your next move. This allows developers to make the UI much more complex. For instance in Final fantasy I remember we used to have hundreds of spells we could scroll through.

Yes that is correct. Since we have 9 party members, having 3-4 spells each is already up to 36 spells to choose from and then there are scrolls/summons and items as well.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

so ive seen lots of people griping about how the turn based combat will be too slow and boring.

if its boring it will suck (not requireing anything but auto-attack)

but im starting to see that this non-wow styled game is going to turn off the pre-teen wow crowd which could mean only one thing: great community

if this game can drive away immature players, deal with bots/gold farmers/ hacker ect this game may just be a whole lot better than im assuming it will be. i assume its going to be boring only for the fact that the last 40 or 50 korean f2p cash shop games have sucked after a few weeks.

for me community is a HUGE factor of a MMO, having a great community can make up for terrible graphics and gameplay like anarchy online. as long as they dont make this game a "bore me to tears grinder" with a good community it will be great,  rappelz is an example of a game with a good community but the game itself is so damn boring.

i just hope this game turns out to be a user skill required turn based game, with out spam killing mobs for low exp, quests that offer depth and progression in the game story line(without the standard korean quests involving skilling mobs and collecting items for no real purpouse in the storyline) with a good community. i have been waiting for that (turned based isnt required) for a while.