Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Of Warcraft - Destroying International Clans?

If you read the following thread:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=306316&P=1

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx...al&T=306316&P=1

The indication seems to be that the US WoW players are going to be segregated from the European WoW players by Blizzard.

As a member of an international gaming clan with Euro/US/Asian members I think this is a pretty bad development as it means that depending on where you are from in the world you can no longer play on the same servers as friends you have been with for a long time...

My main game at the moment is EVE Online which is one single unsharded server. Our corp there has 80 members from all round the world and it really adds to the atmosphere and flavour of the gaming experience.

I think it's a pretty poor move to unnaturally break up existing gaming communities simply because they don't live in the same continent.

Views?

----------------------

PIE: Defenders of the Amarr Empire:

www.pie-online.co.uk

PIE: An online gaming community:

www.pieinc.co.uk

Amarr Victor

Comments

• lordthrawnlordthrawn Member Posts: 276
    good point, I for one would love the idea of EVE's single server to group all the players together as it really holds the true value of a MMORPG.  I don't know how wow and eq2 would fair just because there would be a lot more than 10,000+ people playing but if they couldn't do that it would be nice to have eu and us combined as I know some good people in england that I would love to play with but usally can't.

• XiraXira Member Posts: 437

That said, if "against [Blizzard's] strongest wishes and recommendations", you still want to connect to the US servers from Europe, there will be a possibility after the launch of the Euro retail (more on that soon) but not immediately at launc

From the same page...Obviously they will allow people to connect to the US or Korean servers or such if they really want to.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Moved to WoW Forums.

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

The following statement was posted by a Blizzard Representative on their forums:

(See link: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=304183&P=4 )

I’ve been bringing your concerns to the staff, and I do have a clarification regarding one the concerns brought up. Players located in North America will be able to choose between the USWest and USEast servers, though we’ll recommend you choose the location closest to you.

Also, I just want to make sure it’s clear that while we believe European players will have a significantly better experience playing on local European servers, we understand that some European players will still want to play on US servers. For these individuals, we will provide a specific solution following the European release.

I know that there are still some open questions from this thread, but I’m afraid that that’s all the information I have at this time. However, I will continue to pursue this subject internally and will let you know as soon as I have more information. Thanks in advance for your patience while I look into this further. :)

- Caydiem -
    Assistant Community Manager, WoW

• manusmanus Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Xira

That said, if "against [Blizzard's] strongest wishes and recommendations", you still want to connect to the US servers from Europe, there will be a possibility after the launch of the Euro retail (more on that soon) but not immediately at launc

From the same page...Obviously they will allow people to connect to the US or Korean servers or such if they really want to.

actually what is discourgaing me from WoW---most mmorpgs I ve played with split servers between europe and US have lacked players during most of the hours of the day zept the primetime of each timezone which made games like DAoC suck to me.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

actually what is discourgaing me from WoW---most mmorpgs I ve played with split servers between europe and US have lacked players during most of the hours of the day zept the primetime of each timezone which made games like DAoC suck to me

So play on servers in your time zone. And if you play in non-prime time hours, play on servers that are not in your time zone. I live on the east coast and ill be playing on west coast servers, so when if I log on at midnight my time, its going to be 9pm on the west coast and the server will still be heavily populated.

And blizzard is doing nothing wrong with setting up the servers they way they are. You are not FORCED to play on specific servers, you are simpyl recommended to play on the server closest to you and in your time zone so youll have better access to GM support.

--------------------

Played: Asheron's Call 1, Dark Age of Camelot, Earth & Beyond, Star Wars Galaxies
    Tested: Asheron's Call 1, Asheron's Call 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Eve Online, Lineage 2, Risk Your Life, Saga of Ryzom, World of Warcraft
    Uninstalled ASAP: MU Online, Knight Online, Rubies of Eventide, Priston Tales, Star Sonata, DarkSpace

Reason why it is discouraging me is I live in freakin cold Norway with sun like 2-4 hours a day during winter so i play almost any time of the day,1 week i am active from like 7am to 12am another week 11pm to 19pm etc,etc..

And the problem is that blizzard is "forcing" us to wait for euro release,then after a while we can switch servers which will make me far behind in lvling compared to others-which sucks on pvp servers usally..hence this is putting a damper for everything for me.just my honest opinion

Originally posted by manus

Reason why it is discouraging me is I live in freakin cold Norway with sun like 2-4 hours a day during winter so i play almost any time of the day,1 week i am active from like 7am to 12am another week 11pm to 19pm etc,etc..And the problem is that blizzard is "forcing" us to wait for euro release,then after a while we can switch servers which will make me far behind in lvling compared to others-which sucks on pvp servers usally..hence this is putting a damper for everything for me.just my honest opinion

just to add to own rant..half of the fun is actually to meet people from around the world aswell....

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

If Euros are restricted from US servers and US people from Euro servers then it will inevitably split international clans up.

I can understand the gaming experience arguement but the fact is that if people chose to have a worse experience by not playing on a local server in order to stay with their friends then they should be able too.

We have about 15/20 people in PIE ready to start WoW and the fact that half are in the US and half are in Europe will really spoil things if we can't work together...

www.pie-online.co.uk

www.pieinc.co.uk

Amarr Victor

• KnetterzzKnetterzz Member Posts: 3

I dont want to play on an european server, because part of the fun on a mmorpg is that you play with people all around the world. And on european servers you probably get several main languages. And i dont feel like learning german, as there are a lot of german players.

But if i join an American server, all the times that I play the severs will be empty, and i will only be able to play with americans...

I hope they will find a way to fix this problem, and dont force me to choose.

• SlazerSlazer Member Posts: 251

One thing this DOES avoid is a language barrier.  It may not be a big problem with US playing on Euro servers, or Euro playing on US servers because a good amount of people in Europe speak english. 

On the other hand, like with FFXI, a barrier was created between players because the majority of the japanese players could not speak english, and the majority of US people could not speak japanese.  Of course there was the auto translator, but there where some things it could not handle.  Often times I was not allowed into a mainly japanese group because I was american, whether they didnt want to bother using the translator to talk to me or they thought I lacked game experience.

I am glad the game is being set up like this in that it encourages you to play around your time zone, but still gives the possibility for players to play on servers on different continents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When life hands you lemons, you clone those lemons and make super lemons!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Slazer

One thing this DOES avoid is a language barrier.  It may not be a big problem with US playing on Euro servers, or Euro playing on US servers because a good amount of people in Europe speak english. 
    On the other hand, like with FFXI, a barrier was created between players because the majority of the japanese players could not speak english, and the majority of US people could not speak japanese.  Of course there was the auto translator, but there where some things it could not handle.  Often times I was not allowed into a mainly japanese group because I was american, whether they didnt want to bother using the translator to talk to me or they thought I lacked game experience.
    I am glad the game is being set up like this in that it encourages you to play around your time zone, but still gives the possibility for players to play on servers on different continents.

What makes this situation different is that it's not being designed with Japan being the first country to receive it in mind.  The Japanese had FFXI a full year and a half before it came to the United States, thus creating the impression that U.S. players were less experienced.  WoW is being developed, beta tested, and will be released here in the U.S. first, where there are already established international guilds on other MMOGs that are just waiting to move here.  I'm in one myself, and I find this news distressing, but I feel confident that it's just a small oversight on Blizzard's part, and it will be corrected before Retail.  It's become such in inflammatory issue that I can't see how they could ignore the impact their original plans would have on the game community.  There are massive threads about this on most WoW fan sites, and on Blizzard's forums as well.  I think it will be changed and addressed.

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70
    Yep our issue is not so much Euros playing on US servers but a number of US members we want to be able to play on the Euro server with the rest of the guild

www.pie-online.co.uk

www.pieinc.co.uk

Amarr Victor

• heinrichoheinricho Member Posts: 252

The key word is "Initially" eventually the flood gates will open and you will be able to visit other servers from wherever you want.

and to the people not wanting to wait for Euro release: there has been talk of getting a US version and playing on their servers.  Have a US friend get it for you or order it off of a US vendor.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

When I started SWG, I played on a european server... and so did tons of other people from around the world... so don't you worry, it won't be "All Americans" on one server "All Germans" on another...

That would just be plan silly. image

What will he do next?
  • AnindelAnindel Member Posts: 66
    I say they stick to their own servers. I know it may make them more money to let people go wherever but its very retarded when I'm pvping and some idiot from euro is playing on a North American server and skipping across my screen. This isn't even fair for us so I say they should stay on their own servers.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

LMFAO!

Thanks for the good laugh!  Before you start to bash people from other countries, I would highly suggest that you get your facts in order before you make a post like this.

If the person's skipping across the screen... it's you, not them.  Second, you don't need those uber 1337 30ms pings like you do in FPS...  MMORPGs are set different.  I played on a european server from Connecticut... that's a few thousand miles away... I got 150+ms ping... no one was skipping...

Play EVE?  That's on an island over in Iceland... no lag there...

I would have to disagree with you here.  I say brind the people from all over the world together... unless you have issues with other races.  image

What will he do next?
  • HjörvarrHjörvarr Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by heinricho

The key word is "Initially" eventually the flood gates will open and you will be able to visit other servers from wherever you want.
    and to the people not wanting to wait for Euro release: there has been talk of getting a US version and playing on their servers.  Have a US friend get it for you or order it off of a US vendor.

I think you just read Blizzard's response, but not to the whole article.  Yes eventually they will open it up for everyone but initially they will not allow Europe on U.S. or U.S. on Europe.  Also what about Aussies or other English speaking countries.  Not only do they have to wait 2 months for release, but also wait another undetermined amount of time to join guildmates if their guild is predominantly American.

When the floodgates open you can eventually join your guild mates who are 40th or 50th level?  SO what is Blizzard telling those players to do?  Either don't switch servers or go a powerlevel a character on you guildmates server.  Considering how much time Blizz has spent on trying to make the early levels just as enjoyable as the latter, they sure as hell are telling the Euros to ignore those first 20 or 30 levels.  If you are in aguild and want to play with them, that is pretty much you only 2 options.  Leave your guild or p-level away.

• heinrichoheinricho Member Posts: 252
    good point!  image  It was interesting in the stress test having two germans in my group speaking German to each other while I sat there... wondering...  We'll see how it goes.  For now I guess our buddies overseas may have to take their time to catch up or just have you in their guild to come rescue when some other high level guy is ganking on them.