Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1GB System RAM minimum = real ?

verdantrexverdantrex Member UncommonPosts: 100

Hey gang,

I'm looking at playing Age of Conan, and checking that "Can You Run It ?" site, it looks like my new (to me) video card (Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT) more than meets the recommended setting, but my system RAM of 1 gig does not... though that is the minimum setting.  They recommend 2 GB. 

So, my question is... is Funcom telling the truth about 1GB of system RAM being a runnable minimum ?  With my video card, will I be able to get by, or will the memory just not be able to keep up ?

I'm kinda not wanting to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM because I look at all my other games that I'm playing or plan on playing any time soon, and no other game has that requirement on RAM.... and I play a lot of games.  I mean, yeah, maybe it's inevitable, but... upgrading RAM for one game at this point ?  Not so much what I want to do.   So... would I have to ?

Comments

• peglegpegleg Member UncommonPosts: 212

AoC needs all the Ram Windows XP (2GB)and Vista(3GB) can allow it to have. Otherwise except massive Yes Massive GFX issues with 1 GB.

All MMO's have grinds. If you don't like to Grind then MMO's are not for you.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

I beleive it will run AoC.

But why oh why dont you upgrade to 2 GB of RAM?????

You say you play a lot of games, and tbh it will help all your games if you upgrade to 2GB of RAM.

Note also that windows will take most of yuor 1 gig and once that is finished Windows will use virtual memory and things will still run, but sooo much slower.

In this day and age when RAM is so cheap you really should be upgrading.

• Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153

Graphics in Conan are quite good. Do your self a favor...  (In this day and age) I feel two gigs is minimum for game playing. Isn't the age old adage true here? "Better to have to much, then too little" I have a 8800 GTX with 6700 duel processer and two gigs of DDR2 PC2-8500 and just yesterday looked into getting another two gigs. (Not sure if it will be effective in making my computer any better) I am a gamer, not a computer wizard, so I have no clue. People have told me that Vista wont utilize more then three gigs,  but I'm going to talk to some experts before I buy. Plus ram is the cheapest thing you can upgrade. One gig of ram is so cheap I can't even understand the question.

Hope things go good for you, and good luck with your future gaming.  :)

King of the world

• verdantrexverdantrex Member UncommonPosts: 100

Thanks for the suggestions... admittedly, most of my *current* gaming is stuff that's a few years old (WoW, CoH, Civ IV, Medieval II, Warhammer 40K: DoW, NWN and NWN2), and they all run fine. 

But maybe some of these games I'm looking at getting in the next year *will* require 2 gig, I guess... the next games I anticipate getting are ES IV: Oblivion, Titan Quest, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and LOTRO (of games that are out) and this fall or in 2009... Empire: Total War, Warhammer: DoW II, WAR and Champions Online.

As you can see from my game list... I'm not someone who really plays like high end FPS games... so adjusting to graphics requirements is something I don't necessarily think as important, just because ?  Strategy games for example... generally not super graphic heavy you know ?

• sh4dowst4lkrsh4dowst4lkr Member Posts: 208

YEh u can run it on 1 gig if u turn everytthing down and have free hd  space for virtual ram- about 3 gigish, but yeh i would have to agree with the others u should upgrade ur pc, i mean 1 gig isnt enough for the gamer anymore,

• sh4dowst4lkrsh4dowst4lkr Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by verdantrex

Thanks for the suggestions... admittedly, most of my *current* gaming is stuff that's a few years old (WoW, CoH, Civ IV, Medieval II, Warhammer 40K: DoW, NWN and NWN2), and they all run fine. 
    But maybe some of these games I'm looking at getting in the next year *will* require 2 gig, I guess... the next games I anticipate getting are ES IV: Oblivion, Titan Quest, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and LOTRO (of games that are out) and this fall or in 2009... Empire: Total War, Warhammer: DoW II, WAR and Champions Online.
    As you can see from my game list... I'm not someone who really plays like high end FPS games... so adjusting to graphics requirements is something I don't necessarily think as important, just because ?  Strategy games for example... generally not super graphic heavy you know ?

Some nice games u got on that list oblivion had some awesome side stories like this quest that takes u into a painting, and yeh im waiting for DOW 2 and empire total war as well. I liked titan quest but it wasnt too great of a game.

• MyrdekMyrdek Member Posts: 346

you say you have Civ IV? Then you HAVE to get another 1gig of Ram, it's imperative. I'm willing to bet that in that game your seeing slowdowns after about an hour, if you add more ram you'll last twice that. Ram is the cheapest and most effective way to boost computer performance, especially multi-tasking and long-term playability in games.

• Shadow786Shadow786 Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by Kram59

Graphics in Conan are quite good. Do your self a favor...  (In this day and age) I feel two gigs is minimum for game playing. Isn't the age old adage true here? "Better to have to much, then too little" I have a 8800 GTX with 6700 duel processer and two gigs of DDR2 PC2-8500 and just yesterday looked into getting another two gigs. (Not sure if it will be effective in making my computer any better) I am a gamer, not a computer wizard, so I have no clue. People have told me that Vista wont utilize more then three gigs,  but I'm going to talk to some experts before I buy. Plus ram is the cheapest thing you can upgrade. One gig of ram is so cheap I can't even understand the question.
    Hope things go good for you, and good luck with your future gaming.  :)

64 bit OS on a 64bit system allows upto 128GB of memory to be recognised

This is maybe sliding off the subject of AoC, but about what I just said about strategy games and graphics... might Empire: Total War's graphics be comparable to AoC ?  Is that an example of a game that might require 2 gig of RAM in the very near future ?

Sounds like I am going to upgrade sooner rather than later then (E:TW comes out in the spring).

Originally posted by Myrdek

you say you have Civ IV? Then you HAVE to get another 1gig of Ram, it's imperative. I'm willing to bet that in that game your seeing slowdowns after about an hour, if you add more ram you'll last twice that. Ram is the cheapest and most effective way to boost computer performance, especially multi-tasking and long-term playability in games.

Oh... yep, it does sort of go slow with a lot of civs... though I guess I sort of expect that, given that's always been a trait of the Civ series.  You say it speeds up with more RAM ?  Another incentive then, thanks.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Honestly considering the price of ram atm anyone can get up to 2 gigs, i find hard to beleive that ppl that play computer games still have less thant that, ram is one of the easiest to upgrad components in a pc and one of the most useful.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I have a 2ghz cpu and 2gig of ram, and the same video card as you and I still remember what like when it was like with 1gig of ram, do your  self a favor and get the other 1gig and you will be set for a long time gamewise,  makes a very nice big difference in performance, bought mine on eBay a year ago.

hope this helps.

• Gamefreek333Gamefreek333 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by verdantrex

Hey gang,
    I'm looking at playing Age of Conan, and checking that "Can You Run It ?" site, it looks like my new (to me) video card (Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT) more than meets the recommended setting, but my system RAM of 1 gig does not... though that is the minimum setting.  They recommend 2 GB. 
    So, my question is... is Funcom telling the truth about 1GB of system RAM being a runnable minimum ?  With my video card, will I be able to get by, or will the memory just not be able to keep up ?
    I'm kinda not wanting to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM because I look at all my other games that I'm playing or plan on playing any time soon, and no other game has that requirement on RAM.... and I play a lot of games.  I mean, yeah, maybe it's inevitable, but... upgrading RAM for one game at this point ?  Not so much what I want to do.   So... would I have to ?

Upgrade for Age of Conan? No. Upgrade for the future? Yes. Do upgrade, but not for Age of Conan, you should even get the game, there are so many flaws, but you should upgrade so you can play other games which would help you much with graphics and what not.

• KirijiKiriji Member Posts: 340

Most games have needed at least 2 gig of RAM for the last few years, 1 gig is unrealistic, especially for a high end graphic engine like AoC has, even more so because it is an online game, online games always use alot of RAM.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i would say no . the game would run poorly even on the lower settings. i think there is a valid arguement that perhaps now there should be some independant organisation that regulates what the minimum specs of a game should be . this should nt be left to the likes of funcom to decide whats acceptable . i m sure there tens of thousands of people that trusted them only to feel ripped off .