Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only played the first week it was released

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I only played the first week it was released has the game gotten better since then?

If so whats changed, and is the character creation any better?

-Jive

Comments

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Thousands of job nerfs, and a few job buffs lol. A lot of expansion activities.  No character customization, zero new races or faces, which is pretty lame.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by SoulSurfer

Thousands of job nerfs, and a few job buffs lol. A lot of expansion activities.  No character customization, zero new races or faces, which is pretty lame.

So...is it worth getting?

I want a game that forces you to group, does this game provide that?

-Jive

• latinthug3latinthug3 Member UncommonPosts: 17

yea, its really hard to go "solo" in this game.

Thank god, now i just gotta figure out the server...

Also is there any race or class restrictions?

• argos5argos5 Member UncommonPosts: 219

No race or class restrictions. You can be whatever limited amount of race or class you want to be. You can grind as slow as you can and you'll definitely be forced to group grind as usual. Quests? Yeah right, there really aren't any to speak of. Group grind to your heart's content, my friends!

nah, but you can't unlock advanced jobs until you level one of the standatrd jobs to 30~.

Go Asura server, its where we send everyone from these forums that are starting cuz its pretty big, and has more new players, so its easier to get a pty invite that way.  Oh , try Odin too, if you can get in though.

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170

Serious question.  How old were you when you first played the game?  If you were over 18, don't bother.  Nothing has changed.  If you're younger, give it a shot because thought processes change over time and it could be a better experience this time around.

If you decide to start again pick Odin or Asura, the two most populated servers.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

Thanks for the help guys, any of you guys got any cool stories or anything from in game i can expect to see?

O I was 14 at the time to the man above mes question. your thoughts?

-Jive

• nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

I only played the first week it was released has the game gotten better since then?

If so whats changed, and is the character creation any better?

-Jive

Although I think the game was quite good during the NA launch, it got even better when the Chains of Promathia expansion pack came out. With the Promathia expansion, the game got a lot more challenging, and there were a ton of new areas introduced in the game (including some much needed leveling camps throughout the entire game, another vast end-game area on top of the one that came from the Rise of the Zilart expansion). The Promathia pack also introduced one of the most compelling storylines to the game (or atleast I think so).

Honestly though? The game started going downhill once the Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion came out. At first it was a really good expansion, adding a few new jobs in to the mix, and recreating the battle dynamics the game and its players had been so adapted to. The expansion also added a ton of new areas (it added a whole new continent that had one main city (Aht Urhgan/Al Zahbi), and quite a few zones that helped introduce some new leveling/farming areas that were really needed). For awhile, the game mechanics started changing for the better (it was a lot easier to level post-55 with this new expansion pack, and camps were easier to find (now that they were more spread out throughout the entire game)). The storyline in this game isn't quite up to par with what Promathia had to offer (again, that's at least what I think), but it's still quite good.

But as time went on, the Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion started to manifest itself in to a plague of sadness and failure. Why?

1. Because it was so easy to level up in the Aht Urhgan expansion pack areas, people started refusing to level anywhere else besides the Aht Urhgan leveling areas. So imagine the majority of your server, from levels 55-75, leveling in all of the same areas, rarely going anywhere else because apparently the stick up some peoples butt will explode and kill them if they go anywhere else. Overcrowded, mob-camping freak-fest in nearly every Aht Urhgan leveling camp.

2. At first, the battle dynamics changing was a good thing. But Square took it way too far, and now the battle system is just way too laxed/unbalanced. Black Mage's are getting the shaft when it comes to these areas because their magic damage does diddly squat to any of the monsters in the Aht Urhgan areas (high resistance, reflecting the spells themselves, etc). First time players going through these areas don't learn how to play their jobs properly because the new areas don't warrant any knowledge of how to actually play your job, because the monsters in the new areas are so weak. I've seen tanks refuse to tank, and healers who try to melee. Tactics and strategy went out the window when the conquest areas stopped becoming viable camping spots, which takes me to my next point...

3. Becuase people who don't know how to play their jobs are getting levels, that means that they'll eventually get to 75. When they get to 75, they join an end-game linkshell, and turn end-game in to a debacle.

Probably more information than what you were looking for, but I wanted to try and give you my current view on the game/vent a bit about the current rut the game is in.

In conclusion? The game getting better? The answer is in the eye of the beholder. Some people might like it more than what the game used to be, some people might dislike it more than what it used to be. It's a mixed bag. One thing is for sure though, it's not the same game that it was back when it first came out.

Also, the character creation is the same as it was when you first played it. There will never be anymore detail in the character creation because of the Playstation 2's limitations. Because of the Playstation 2's limitations, the character creation will never be anymore detailed than what it is right now (no new races will be introduced, or any of that), and the majority of new armor/weapons that will ever be introduced in to the game will probably never be anything more than reskinned armor/weapons of what we've already seen.

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Thanks for the help guys, any of you guys got any cool stories or anything from in game i can expect to see?

O I was 14 at the time to the man above mes question. your thoughts?

-Jive

You may enjoy it more.  As you can tell by my sig, I've played the game 3 times and this is my third time.  I've only stopped for short periods to play other games and this time around is the most enjoyable. 

If you're going to play again, start as a Warrior or Monk.  These two classes are always in demand and are easy to level for that reason.  Also, start in Bastok.  At level 11, you'll most likely find yourself looking for a party in Valkurm Dunes.  I generally play as a spellcaster in other games, but here it's very difficult to start as a new spellcaster without a steady income.

I wouldn't worry about the higher level info stuff until later changing since I don't think you ever got to that point your first time around.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Ehh... the main reason I never played was because of their leveling system. It seems like the entire point of it was to force people to group just to level... which doesnt appeal to me...

Im the type who tries to advoid grouping while leveling unless needed, I just find it faster. Besides, a static scaled xp system with harsh penalties turns me away. Why grind for a few hours, when what I gained is lost in a few deaths (just an example, not sure if thats all it takes to de-level or whatever.)

Originally posted by Cursedsei

Ehh... the main reason I never played was because of their leveling system. It seems like the entire point of it was to force people to group just to level... which doesnt appeal to me...
    Im the type who tries to advoid grouping while leveling unless needed, I just find it faster. Besides, a static scaled xp system with harsh penalties turns me away. Why grind for a few hours, when what I gained is lost in a few deaths (just an example, not sure if thats all it takes to de-level or whatever.)

Haha, thats actually a good thing for me, because i love grouping in MMO's!

So there is a death penalty in FFXI?

Yes, there is a death penalty.  Say at around level 70~75 your max exp is around 44,000 , so if you die without a raise I, II, or III, you will lose about 4,000 Exp if you homepoint.  Lower levels it is based off a percentage.  Also the level exp requirments is exponential curve from level one, so the higher you go , the more exp you lose if you homepoint, unless you get a raise of course.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Yes, there is a death penalty.  Say at around level 70~75 your max exp is around 44,000 , so if you die without a raise I, II, or III, you will lose about 4,000 Exp if you homepoint.  Lower levels it is based off a percentage.  Also the level exp requirments is exponential curve from level one, so the higher you go , the more exp you lose if you homepoint, unless you get a raise of course.

I was under the impression that you could never lose more than 2400 exp at the most on a given death, even if 10% of your level was more than that.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by argos5
    <snip> Quests? Yeah right, there really aren't any to speak of.<snip>

You really shouldn't dish out advice about games you haven't played. Because anybody who's actually played FFXI knows that it has quite possibly the best questing of any MMO.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Yes, there is a death penalty.  Say at around level 70~75 your max exp is around 44,000 , so if you die without a raise I, II, or III, you will lose about 4,000 Exp if you homepoint.

Wrong. Please do not post about this game if you do not know anything about it. You lose 2400 exp, because the death penalty caps at that.

I stand corrected, my bad.