Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to game, question

momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555

I realize this game is solo unfriendly... except my pc is out of date and I'm dieing to try a graphical online rpg -- so I'm stuck with the xbox360... which class/race is best a solo

thanks

Comments

• PhylicusPhylicus Member Posts: 16

Beastmaster is the easiest class to solo.  But keep in mind two things:

1) This game is designed to be group-oriented

2) Being that BM is the easiest to solo, they don't work well in groups, so you'll have trouble finding them later on.

• ragnairragnair Member Posts: 30

Also, you have to have levelled to lvl 30 to be able to unlock beastmaster.. which means grouping from 10-30 really...

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Well on top of all that whitemage is arguably the best subjob for beastmaster and it's almost impossible to solo with whitemage. Hope you enjoy yourself. There are jobs that can do both fairly well though, blackmage has been known to solo from as low as lvl 30 all the way to 75 i know a lot of people who soloed from 50-75 as well. The good thing is though you are needed endgame for a lot of stuff unlike the beastmaster. Another job that can solo well and can group well is puppetmaster its kind of like a beastmaster but it has the same pet all the time and it's weaker in some aspects.

Just so you know there are plenty of people out there now trying new combinations of jobs and soloing jobs that otherwise were thought to not be soloable. Have I done this? No, but there are people that have and still are.

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

If he plans to solo exclusively, why would he care about being "needed" for endgame? 

The standard answer to the solo question is usually Red Mage, as far as the basic jobs go.

• LoopsLoops Member Posts: 100

Hi

I recommend you to lvl white mage until 30 and then unlock Beastmaster. Beastmaster is the ONLY job that is supposed to be soloing. Of course you could go for Blackmage or Red mage and solo ur way thru until lvl 75, but for that ull need a hell lot of experience, which obviously you do not have yet.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

I would actually reccomend you not getting the game honestly.  You don't sound like you would enjoy this game and the only reason you're playing it is lack of options.  FFXI isn't a game you can play and enjoy because you have no other options. You have to like the lore, the grouping, and the diversity and challenge of the game.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555

<Mod edit> I've been playing the game for 5 hours and love it.... <Mod edit>... Anyway I'm playing a redmage, can they be a beastmaster eventually?

The game is great, just wish I played it years ago...

• LoopsLoops Member Posts: 100

Beastmaster with Redmage Sub does not work out very well. I recommend you to level your Red mage until lvl 18 , do the Subjob quest and go on lvling Whitemage until lvl 30, with Redmage sub. Then get your Beastmaster and sub Whitemage.. Got it?

Good luck

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by momodig

I realize this game is solo unfriendly... except my pc is out of date and I'm dieing to try a graphical online rpg -- so I'm stuck with the xbox360... which class/race is best a solo
    thanks

for the most part, solo and FFXI just doesnt mix.  You can pick a beastmaster but you still need to pick another class for 30 some lvls to get to beastmaster.

FFXI is unsoloable past lvl 17.  If you are not a WHM, expect a 2-6 hour wait for a group.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203

To all the fanbois of this game please turn away now..

This game is very out dated, it wasnt very well liked when it came out and as time has past with new expansions the game is somewhat less liked now then ever, the leveling is difficult and boring, leaving everything to pre-set macros and a generic group system like no other. some classes are unique such as the theif that helps the tank get aggro and the black mage has a unique skill system but it really is a boring game.

But i wont leave it at that allowing myself to be flamed, the game is very boring due to the fact that it really is a grind, of corse there are a few quests but nothing really meaningful, people say it follows lore but not enough for you to quest out each level, groups take a very very long time to gather due to the fact that very few people play anymore and anyone that does still play probably has a 60+ to help them level like a whitemage main that can just spam heal them through mobs.

Gear is boring too due to the fact that there is very little distinction between a level 10 and a level 75, of course as a weathered player you'll learn what is what but in the long run the graphics are a bore, people say they enjoy the realism but seriously, it's not a pretty game to look at even on max settings..

The moving is very hard to get used to along with the camera adjusting, selecting skills is a pain and in order to get to somewhat useful classes you have to level less useful ones to 30 to unlock them, some require 18 but still, starting over at level 1 because you couldnt start at the class you wanted is a pain, especially when after level 6 it still requires over an hour to level, whereas in the later levels it takes days, the game is settup so that it doesnt require too many kills to level but you die so often that it's a very aggrivating system.

Gear isnt bound to you like many games so you can buy all of your gear for the right price, but like most weathered games you can buy money online with real dollars.

I played this game for a very long time as a Bard/WHM and of course i was welcomed in parties but the gameplay is very one sides, and if you enjoy pvp this is deffinatly not the game for you, endgame is killing gods or some other bosses that have a chance of helping you in some way but all in all isnt fun, i remember when i hit 75 i felt no joy, i wasnt releived that the grind was over, because it had truley just begun, unless you have 10 to 15 hours a day to dedicate to this game, expect a long and strenuous grind to an even larger grind at 75..

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Well i wouldn't say that i am a "fanboi" but I do love ffxi a lot and have been playing it off and on for years. Many of the things you said were reasons why I quit  before but I kept coming back again and again for some reason. I think what ffxi brings to the table that most MMOs out this day don't have a is very strong player community. Being able to switch linkshells or guilds for people that don't know the game is wonderful and having to group so often also strengthens the community as well. Buying gil isn't really feasible these days either since SE has taken large strides in getting rid of RMT players so it will cost you a fortune or you will get banned for doing it.

I will however not say that this game doesn't take a lot of time and it can feel grindy a lot but I completely disagree that it becomes worse at 75. The game for me truly began when i first reached 75 but i spent a way less time grinding then i did doing this getting there. Now with all the endgame content there is so much to do it would be your own fault not to find something you enjoy and now it caters to smaller groups with events such as campaign, assault, and salvage needing 6 or less people to do.

So i wouldn't just throw this game to wayside there is plenty to do and enjoy why do you think over half a million people still play this game. Yeah that's not as many as the 8 million that play WoW but pre-WoW having a player base over 500k was a huge deal. I would say this game is more for the old school MMO player that is used to games like EQ where it takes time to get things done and you won't ever see a character that has the best gear all around. That's one of the things I hate about newer games it seems like a race to max lvl with nothing but boring quests along the way just so you can raid all week long and few months later and BAM your character is fully geared out and now what do you do?

Most of the community is does have a job over lvl 60 these days but many have multiple jobs to 75 now. How do they do that you ask? They lvl lower lvl jobs like now i am working on my rng its only lvl 40 but that only took me a about two weeks partying a few hours a night while still doing limbus each week.

So for the new players looking at this game if you love the FF series and you like a challenging MMO i would say give this a shot you might fall in love with it like many people i know. Yes this game is not for everyone but what game out there is? I would say if you are all about PvP and soloing you should just go somewhere else though.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

LOL SPOONY BARD.

no wonder you are so bitter!

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Pepsipwnzgod

To all the fanbois of this game please turn away now..

This game is very out dated, it wasnt very well liked when it came out and as time has past with new expansions the game is somewhat less liked now then ever (Proof of this anywhere? I have proof it's still played after 6 years. ~3000 players per server infact), the leveling is difficult (Yes, you see, some of us like to EARN levels unlike in WoW where you earn exp by walking) and boring (subjective as WoW is boring ot me), leaving everything to pre-set macros and a generic group system like no other. some classes are unique such as the theif that helps the tank get aggro and the black mage has a unique skill system but it really is a boring game. (Pre-set macros?  You have to set macros. they're not pre-set. And casting spells is easier with macros than clicking on multiple targets. You dont *have* to go with generic group settings.  And again, boring, to you.)
    But i wont leave it at that allowing myself to be flamed, the game is very boring due to the fact that it really is a grind, of corse there are a few quests but nothing really meaningful, people say it follows lore but not enough for you to quest out each level, groups take a very very long time to gather due to the fact that very few people play anymore and anyone that does still play probably has a 60+ to help them level like a whitemage main that can just spam heal them through mobs.
    (I'm not flaming you btw, pointing out holes in your logic, so you know. It's, again, boring to you but some of us like to feel a sense of accomplishment in our levels.  Having 6 characters in WoW at max level is the norm. In FFXI That's a pretty big achievement. Groups can be fast or long. Depends on time, day, job, area, etc.  I still play. I do have friends who are 60+ but i rarely use them.  And, generally, i do it in a group.
    Gear is boring too due to the fact that there is very little distinction between a level 10 and a level 75, of course as a weathered player you'll learn what is what but in the long run the graphics are a bore, people say they enjoy the realism but seriously, it's not a pretty game to look at even on max settings..
    Okay, again, there are a LOT of distinction between a level 10 and a level 75.  You obviously haven't played or haven't played long.  As you found the game boring i'm gonna guess you played, just not long.  Some of the areas are amazing to look at.  Some of the huge monsters and cutscenes are breath taking.
    The moving is very hard to get used to along with the camera adjusting, selecting skills is a pain and in order to get to somewhat useful classes you have to level less useful ones to 30 to unlock them, some require 18 but still, starting over at level 1 because you couldnt start at the class you wanted is a pain, especially when after level 6 it still requires over an hour to level, whereas in the later levels it takes days, the game is settup so that it doesnt require too many kills to level but you die so often that it's a very aggrivating system.
    Did you try using a controller?  I'm guessing you played on the PC.  Did you really try to adjust the settings?  My graphics look great.  There are a lot of useful classes that you dont need to unlock. Some of these "useless" classes can be used as subjobs to the unlocked jobs.  No job requires 18 to unlock, you have to get level 18 (just once) to get a quest to get a subjob.  Once you do that, ONCE, you dont have to do it again.  It doesn't take days to get a level until you're in the 70's.  I never die on lower level jobs because I dont go killing stuff that can kill me.  Perhaps you should try mobs you can actually kill.
    Gear isnt bound to you like many games so you can buy all of your gear for the right price, but like most weathered games you can buy money online with real dollars.
    Now this is where you will get flamed.  Because you're a moron.  You are bashing FFXI over this and you play WoW?  SquareEnix is the only game that i know of that has taken such a hard line against buying in game currency and ban thousands of accounts on a MONTHLY basis. They have tackled the RMT's with full force and the economy is doing great.  So you sir, are a moron to suggest this and a hyppocrite since you obviously never researched or paid attention to this.
    I played this game for a very long time as a Bard/WHM and of course i was welcomed in parties but the gameplay is very one sides, and if you enjoy pvp this is deffinatly not the game for you, endgame is killing gods or some other bosses that have a chance of helping you in some way but all in all isnt fun, i remember when i hit 75 i felt no joy, i wasnt releived that the grind was over, because it had truley just begun, unless you have 10 to 15 hours a day to dedicate to this game, expect a long and strenuous grind to an even larger grind at 75..
    Ok, i call bullshit on your 75 job.  Because noone can be 75 and think gods is all there is to do at 75. There's Sky, sea, dynamis, salvage, campaign, meriting, garrison, KSNM, BCNM, ISNM, the new NM's, Someone help me if I missed one.  I dont play this 10 to 15 hours a day and i have accomplished quite a bit.
    In the future, expect to get flamed when you spout stuff about a game, you obviously no nothing about.  Can this game be a grind? sure.  Name me a game that isn't after a while.  This game is 6 years old and still has a strong following and requires players who like to put time towards accomplishments.  I mean seriously, earning exp by walking into an area?

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"