Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst mmorpg I have ever played!

Comments

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

UO pioneering MMO, I'll buy that, but EQ?....no.
    Oh God, new person to ignore. Objectiveness=good, pure bile-filled hate=bad.
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

I was upset when EQ2 wasn't more like EQ. I still enjoy EQ2 and it has some nice perks, but I would have LOVED it if it had EQ2 graphics, UI, controls, with EQ gameplay/mechanics.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

EQ was pioneering in the sense that it was the first graphical MUD. I used to be a heavy text-based MUD player in the early 90s. I didn't try EQ until 2003, but knew people who had played it since 1998. What I hadn't realised until I tried it was how similar it was to some of the MUDs I played several years before. I also remember all the magazine articles and press releases about it. EQ was the first graphical MMO I tried. I didn't like some aspects of it though. Fortunately, in 2003 there were other games on offer. I tried AO but found it too buggy. I then went to DAoC and found that it was what I was looking for. I stayed in that game for quite a while though I did eventually pick up AO off-and-on.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

This is the old debate of graphics versus gameplay.........I can guarantee 100% taht you hated the game before you played 1 second.....Thats because to players like yourself graphics are everything....It doesnt matter if its Hello Kitty Online if the graphics are good you are happy..........Alot of us others though look for good gameplay and challenge and EQ offers that......99 percent of the time the people that are graphics oriented never find a home because they get tired of graphics and are always looking for that next beautiful game.......To each his own.......

• grim_skunkgrim_skunk Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Theocritus

This is the old debate of graphics versus gameplay.........I can guarantee 100% taht you hated the game before you played 1 second.....Thats because to players like yourself graphics are everything....It doesnt matter if its Hello Kitty Online if the graphics are good you are happy..........Alot of us others though look for good gameplay and challenge and EQ offers that......99 percent of the time the people that are graphics oriented never find a home because they get tired of graphics and are always looking for that next beautiful game.......To each his own.......

These are interesting stat's you have provided. Can you please site them, I am interested in checking their validity.

Anyway, I played EQ at its release. It was pretty fun, in my opinion. I wasted countless hours playing it. I returned to it a couple years back, and still enjoyed it for a while. Although this is true, I found it necessary to use 2 accounts at the same time, as the game play was extremely slow..... My brother played 2 accounts as well, which helped to cut back on the incredible waiting times required in finding and setting up groups. We, luckily, established our 4 characters to include the key classes of a tank, healer, cc, and dps. If someone playing this game doesn't have a healer stuck to their hip, or doesn't have a social network, I don't think they'll have a good time playing this game.

• tfox2k1tfox2k1 Member Posts: 215

Everquest is lacking in both quality game play and graphics.   In fact EQ has some of the absolute worst game play mechanics of any game, ever released.      There is nothing challenging about EQ, everything takes time to obtain and is obtainable by anyone with enough time spent.

Want quality game play with a challenge, check out a little game called Portal.    Want a quality MMO with great graphics and game play, check out LOTRO.    Want a very dated game, ran by the worst gaming company in the business, with the most bitter community, check out EQ.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698
    Originally posted by tfox2k1

Everquest is lacking in both quality game play and graphics.  

I saw a quote today by Edward Murrow that I believe is quite fitting:

Everyone is a prisoner of his own experience.  No one can eliminate prejudices - just recognize them.

Having played nearly all the MMORPGs, mainstream and others, my conclusion is they cannot match EQ's quality or graphics.  The world immersion in Everquest, with "dated" graphics, has still not been match.  More to the point, I like EQ's graphics.  In fact, I really like EQ's graphics.  The scale, visuals, colors ... all of it.

Originally posted by tfox2k1

Everquest is lacking in both quality game play and graphics.   In fact EQ has some of the absolute worst game play mechanics of any game, ever released.      There is nothing challenging about EQ, everything takes time to obtain and is obtainable by anyone with enough time spent.

Want quality game play with a challenge, check out a little game called Portal.    Want a quality MMO with great graphics and game play, check out LOTRO.    Want a very dated game, ran by the worst gaming company in the business, with the most bitter community, check out EQ.

Funny you mention LotRO as an adequate substitution for EQ. I, actually, found EQ to be more challenging, and not because of the over-powered monsters that needed to be combated. In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, EQ had raids that required some planning and strategy to see success. LotRO, having played it since beta, was simply surround and pound. All monsters were the same, the quests were all basically fed-ex or killing X to obtain Y. My girlfriend, who never played an MMO before, found the game very easy, capping her character to level 50 in just under a month. The raid zone, which was supposed to be set up as a 24 man raid (if memory serves correctly), could be done easily with 2 groups, provided you didn't attempt the dragon at the end (I admit, he was pretty tough). Although, to be fair, I think it did improve after they introduced the Rift. But, this is really best saved for the LotRO forum.

B'ah, you didn't claim LotRO was challenging, I miss read your comment. My appologies. I do agree that LotRO has superior game play and graphics than EQ, I just found EQ to be more challenging overall.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Dude, you should not go back to games that old, they don't age with dignity. EQ was the best MMO (well, maybe Linage were in the same class) for a couple of years but we all change. Playing Diablo or getting the old Amiga out from the closet is not as fun today as it was when they were new.

Also, games with a lot of expansions released for usually get a bit unstable and god knows how many exp there is plugged in EQ.

Personally, I would never play a game older than 5 years, but I rarely play anything older than 3.

However taste is different and some people still playing C-64 games, and UO. Most of us just prefer to move on, the work to make EQ into a modern game would be gigantic. If you do love the world, try EQ2 instead who at least is less dated and have ok graphics for a 4 year old game.

• If you really think EQ is the worst game around, then you have not played many games.

• Originally posted by tfox2k1

...ran by the worst gaming company in the business, with the most bitter community, check out EQ.

You obviously have not experienced AoC.

• ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111

Everquest is an awesome game and a true classic.  The graphics could use updating, but the gameplay is supreme.

• kazrynkazryn Member UncommonPosts: 33

This is ridiculous. The game is a decade old, try to stop and think about that for a minute.

Most of the so called "bugs" you mentioned are options you can toggle to "fix", like clicking on yourself, you can turn that off.

The reason you did not see any other players is because the game is old, a fairly simple conclusion. There are still plenty of players in the game, but they are all high level and they are all in high level places doing high level things, but you still see people running around in the new areas. So I find it unlikely that your claim about no other people on any server, to be false.

The reason why people say EQ is one of the best games of all time, is because they played it in its prime days, when it first came out. When it revolutionized online social gaming, in a realized 3D world. Try playing EQ2, or something newer. Its a classic game, recognize it as such please.

• chop3593chop3593 Member Posts: 55

Eq helped start mmos to get popular!  I still play this game alot, even though it's dated I love it.  I love it so much I kept my ps2 hooked up to my tv just to play it

• chop3593chop3593 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by aeroplane21

This is ridiculous. The game is a decade old, try to stop and think about that for a minute.

Most of the so called "bugs" you mentioned are options you can toggle to "fix", like clicking on yourself, you can turn that off.

The reason you did not see any other players is because the game is old, a fairly simple conclusion. There are still plenty of players in the game, but they are all high level and they are all in high level places doing high level things, but you still see people running around in the new areas. So I find it unlikely that your claim about no other people on any server, to be false.

The reason why people say EQ is one of the best games of all time, is because they played it in its prime days, when it first came out. When it revolutionized online social gaming, in a realized 3D world. Try playing EQ2, or something newer. Its a classic game, recognize it as such please.

How is EQ2, I never really looked at it at all.  Is it worth it?

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by chop3593

Originally posted by aeroplane21

How is EQ2, I never really looked at it at all.  Is it worth it?

Kinda empty.

Hell, so is EQ though, but EQ2 seemed worse.

I talked to a GM in EQ2 (something you don't even see in EQ anymore) and he was uber friendly to me, even helping me with starting and the gameplay, that was nice.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

EQ2 is basically a WoW clone...it was demanding and group oriented when ti first came out, then when it wasnt getting subscriptions and saw the success of WoW they started turning EQ2 into a WoW clone.....The game has a few thousand people but like WOw its predominately solo till end game....... You can buy housing and have a few unique quests that seperate it from WoW but the gameplay overall feels just like wow.....

• HollyWeberHollyWeber Member UncommonPosts: 43

EQ2 is basically a WoW clone...it was demanding and group oriented when ti first came out, then when it wasnt getting subscriptions and saw the success of WoW they started turning EQ2 into a WoW clone.....The game has a few thousand people but like WOw its predominately solo till end game....... You can buy housing and have a few unique quests that seperate it from WoW but the gameplay overall feels just like wow.....

I actually play EQ2, and I played WoW for a while. I also played EQ for a few years. One thing I can honestly day is that EQ2 is NOT a WoW clone. Just because you say it's so, doesn't make it true. 

EQ2 has a great community and I've never seen it empty, though when AoC came out alot of the players left the game to try it. They may be back now, I don't know. I'm an on again-off again gamer and I quit EQ2 for a little while to take a break from MMO's.

EQ was the first MMORPG I ever played and I miss it. I've tried going back but it just isn't the same as it was years ago. I started playing shortly before the Luclin expansion came out, and I remember when you still had to sit and stare at your spell book just to meditate. :D Ahhh the good times.  EQ holds very fond memories for me and has a charm that I have yet to find in any other game I've played.

I also remember when the LotR Movies came out and every other character was named some form of Legolas or Aragorn.

And guilds at the lifts of Kelethin giving out free buffs for lowbies and doing activities to gain publicity for their guilds. And the time that the Sleeper was released on my server and everyone was freaking out.

You just don't see things like that in MMO's anymore.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

I think EQ2 is pretty distinct from WoW from what I'm playing at the moment of the free trial. I do recognize some 'changes' that have been inspired by WoW though for instance the quest icon above the head for one, and I've noticed a few others.

• UbahNecroUbahNecro Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by HollyWeber

I actually play EQ2, and I played WoW for a while. I also played EQ for a few years. One thing I can honestly day is that EQ2 is NOT a WoW clone. Just because you say it's so, doesn't make it true. 

EQ2 has a great community and I've never seen it empty, though when AoC came out alot of the players left the game to try it. They may be back now, I don't know. I'm an on again-off again gamer and I quit EQ2 for a little while to take a break from MMO's.

EQ was the first MMORPG I ever played and I miss it. I've tried going back but it just isn't the same as it was years ago. I started playing shortly before the Luclin expansion came out, and I remember when you still had to sit and stare at your spell book just to meditate. :D Ahhh the good times.  EQ holds very fond memories for me and has a charm that I have yet to find in any other game I've played.

I also remember when the LotR Movies came out and every other character was named some form of Legolas or Aragorn.

And guilds at the lifts of Kelethin giving out free buffs for lowbies and doing activities to gain publicity for their guilds. And the time that the Sleeper was released on my server and everyone was freaking out.

You just don't see things like that in MMO's anymore.

In my quest to find a new MMO I have played WoW, and then immediately after it started trying EQ2 (doing that now).

They are strikingly similar.  I am having a very hard time logging into it for this reason.  WoW was not fun because it was too easy, and EQ2 is no different.  In retrospect, I would say say WoW > EQ2 just based on the fact that Ididn't have to upgrade my graphics card to play it. Boy, who doesn't hate upgrading equipment to play games that they won't even keep playing after the free month?

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

It was the second big MMO, first mainstream one. I guess you're just alone in a sea of people that think differently. And no kidding its dated, its like 8 years old.

• ArstArst Member Posts: 4

After playing EQ for 4 years then WoW for 3 years (both endgame completed), I can honestly say that WoW does not compare to the enjoyment I got out of EQ. WoW at the end became something that was slightly better then watching TV. But I agree in the sense that EQ is now dated to a point that even for nostalgia's stake it is hard to get into.  Twitch gaming and "less is more" games have taken over. 

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by neschria

Sounds like you started in Cabilis.  That was your first mistake. There is only ONE newbie city now (Crescent Reach), which you can stay in until level 20. Then you go to Blightfire.  You will NEVER see anyone in any of the starting racial cities. Your whole experience would have been different if you'd gone with the current EQ instead of being stuck in some dead old zone.

I found an excellent reason for getting out of Crescent Reach and back to my racial starting city. When my Barbarian Berserker got to that guild hall in CR, the guildmaster taught me a combat ability from the tome I started with, then I turned to the Bersker tome vendor. And found that she held a whopping two tomes, for lvls 35 and 40. I had to get my lvl 10 self out of CR and make the dangerous trek to icy Halas just to get to other 4 or 5 tomes that I could use. Now that was a seriously dated-looking zone!

• GrandoReaperGrandoReaper Member UncommonPosts: 147

Dont know what your crying about.. I would have loved to keep EQ back at the Kunark expansion.  People didnt play it for the fact that it had so-so graphics (which was pretty good for its time).  They were interested by the fact that it was the first 3D MMORPG, UO is not 3D just incase your wondering.