Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incorrect Ranking system on MMORPG.com

ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

Greets.

It seems that our rankings are based purely on QUANTITY and not on QUALITY of posts.

So in essence, spammers gain ELITE status easily, while those who post infrequently (but write good posts) always stay at NOVICE status.

(Yes, I do tend to fall back to Novice frequently.)

These are tainted ratings - and some new algorithm is needed (or a rating system of sorts) to judge the rankings.

Thanks.

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by ssnautilus

Greets.

It seems that our rankings are based purely on QUANTITY and not on QUALITY of posts.
    So in essence, spammers gain ELITE status easily, while those who post infrequently (but write good posts) always stay at NOVICE status.
    These are tainted ratings - and some new algorithm is needed (or a rating system of sorts) to judge the rankings.

Thanks.

How would you implement a system that automatically rates you based on the quality of your post? It's impossible.

Honestly, who cares? It's just a stupid forum ranking and has nothing to do with anything.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Agreed. Also, posting is not the only way to gain rankings. A large portion relates to how often you use the website.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Actually I think some of it is to do with quality, well that's what they say anyway.

?

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by ssnautilus

Greets.

Thanks.

Well it also has something to do with how much you visit this site.  If you visit once every week then of course you will have a lower ranking than some of the people who post more.

Also, it technically doesn't go off quantity.  Although if you spam your posts get deleted, which leads to a loss of 5 rank points...unfortunately I have been victim to this many times

• Friction2uFriction2u Member Posts: 293

Infractions kill your stars more thoroughly than rat poison. Look at me. One star and lesson learned.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by Friction2u

Infractions kill your stars more thoroughly than rat poison. Look at me. One star and lesson learned.

Meh...I blame the DF forum

• Friction2uFriction2u Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by mike470
    Originally posted by Friction2u Infractions kill your stars more thoroughly than rat poison. Look at me. One star and lesson learned.

Meh...I blame the DF forum

It was actually.

Dear Friction: you have received a warning.

"What? What for?"

"OMG? What did I do?"

"You're kidding me? For THAT?

Dear Friction: you have received a one day ban.

"But ... all I said was that ..."

"I just logged on!"

Dear Friction: you have received a 3 day ban.

"Damn! Where the hell are the rules. The page was around here somewhere.

I guess the lesson is "read the rules before you post" :)

• mauchoman55mauchoman55 Member Posts: 24

why do they even have your rank fall? it seems pointless for those who come on once in a while but can't do anything because their rank is low.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Log in once a day and you'll keep 3 stars.  Participate with posts more than one or two sentences long and you may get more.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Dont really care too much about it tbh,A couple of months ago I got a warning and then a ban in the space of 2 days,I appealed against both as they were so trival and both times the community manager agreed that niether of them should stand and he removed them...but I still lost 10 points on the ranking system,figure that one out.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• SlappanSlappan Member Posts: 289

maybe you fall back to novice frequently for being inactive for a long time? quality is also checked in posts here.. the longer your post is, the faster you gain level in the rankings.. although this can outsmarted by posting lyrics or long news :P

• xKrNMBoYxxKrNMBoYx Member Posts: 165

So this is how you get your stars.  Everything seems nice, except the fact that your rank changes, meaning it gets lower if u dont visit for a while or something like that.  I understand lowering your rank if u spam, or you have wrong things you do in the forum.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

So it's recent posts that determine the ranking?  That makes some sense, I guess.  It's obvious that it isn't purely the total number of posts.

• JacobeliJacobeli Member Posts: 11

Posted by Lydon on 7/13/08 at 11:11:19 PM

Agreed. Also, posting is not the only way to gain rankings. A large portion relates to how often you use the website.

I dunno ive been visiting this for many years and this is ony of my only forum posts, notice how low my ranking is

SHALOM

• HellsMajestyHellsMajesty Member UncommonPosts: 204

im not sure as to how visiting the site increases your ranking because i visited the site for years before i started posting in the forum and i was always a novice member. I do think that the number of posts affects it but i have seen people with less posts than me who are elite member status and i have only just reached hardcore, which is why i think the length of your posts makes a big difference. And i have only ever had one warning for a post and that was for saying "bump" in a topic because nobody was replying :P and i dont think i lost any points due to that i just made sure from then on all my posts where relevant to the topic lol

• redcrusaderredcrusader Member Posts: 4

what is the rank for?... is it just a measure of how much you've posted on this site? isn't it enough your already chatting and having fun with other members and there is a site wher you could talk about the games you play all day?

seriously? what is the rank for?

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

I have this website as my homepage and I always had a rank of 3 stars minimum.  Just logging in daily will give you that rating.  I've gone up to an "Elite Member" since I started posting recently, though.  I like to thibk my posts are quality enough to warrant the increase, though :P.