Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Pirate/Age of sail game you've played?

I can't get directly onto the PotBS forums so I figured this is the next best place to ask.  Title is it.

Whether it be single player, multiplayer, online, whatever. 

What's your favorite PC pirate game.  I want to try out a few.  Currently I'm looking to play Sid Meier's Pirate's.  Heard that was a good one.

WoW fanboi: "lolz 11.5 million customers, itz obviously da best"

McDonald's: over 1 billion burgers served

Comments

• SirXaphSirXaph Member Posts: 15

SM:P is a bit too arcadey for my liking.  It's fun for a while but after a while I really got annoyed with how mind-meltingly shallow it was.

The Sea Dogs games seemed to be quite a bit more My Thing - I really liked the one that was renamed to Pirates of the Caribbean in the last minute but some seriously hideous bugs and control issues stopped me from playing.  Apparantly most of the issues I had with it can be circumvented.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

PotBS

Hehe, well I certainly would agree that PotBS does certainly have the most fun ship-to-ship combat system of any pirate game I've played, espescially when you get into a decent PvP Battle against some evenly matched opponents (which happens more often than I think the general impression gives).

I think most games (Sid Meier aside) do the sword-fighty parts better though.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Currently the three Pirate-themed MMOs that I play are Tales of Pirates, Puzzle Pirates, and Pirates of the Burning Sea.

Of those three, though, PotBS is the most 'piratical' in gameplay and design. They're introducing a free trial soon, so it's worth checking out.

I haven't played many single-player games lately, but if I was to headout and buy one, it would be the recent release of Sid Meier's Pirates. I liked the diversity of the gameplay (missions, random ship battles, land battles, multiple goals ot work towards) of Pirates! Gold back when I had it, so I'm thinking the new version should be even better. *should*  :)

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • FlaSeaDogFlaSeaDog Member Posts: 1

PotBS is the best pirate game I've played and I have played them all.

• CurateCurate Member UncommonPosts: 55

I haven't played the revamped Sid Meyer's Pirates, but the old one was a heck of a lot of fun for me.

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

Yay !

It's long overdue & about time a positive thread about Potbs appeared.

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

PotBS is the best one I've played so far, I loved SM:Pirate and PotCO is great to if you're up for that game it delivers in the way its meant to, however PotBS offers me the most as I enjoy what im doing in the game. If you read the missions you are doing instead of clicking yes I accept ( i do sometimes i won't lie) but when you read some its interesting. Also Pvp is fun I had my first swing at it today which was even for my lvl and I had a blast doing it. I feel this game has done what is meant for me theres haters and basher but i've played all the pirates games i could get my hands on and this is the best one i've found to date for depth.

• barmbek76barmbek76 Member Posts: 14

Playin Sids Pirates! on a commodore C64 back in the late 80ies was one of my top 5 game experiences ever.

"Crew is angry!"

ZOMGZ!

• NuichNuich Member UncommonPosts: 123

I used to love to play an old game on the Nintendo 64 from KOEi called Uncharted Waters and Uncharted Waters: Horizons.. It had it all, from exploration to pirating. I spent a lot of time on that game along with Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and Aerobiz.

Sheesh I'm old.

Nuich

Ooh WindWaker.. does that count?

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by barmbek76

Playin Sids Pirates! on a commodore C64 back in the late 80ies was one of my top 5 game experiences ever.
    "Crew is angry!"
    ZOMGZ!

Yeah, the remake isn't bad, but the original version of Pirates! was flat out awesome.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

Please don't laugh, but I actually think Puzzle Pirates is the best pirate game I ever played.  Such a weird design, but at the same time much deeper than one would think at first glance.  And totally absorbing, too.

If you're limiting things to single-player games, I haven't played many of them, but I would say that Port Royale beats Sid Meier's Pirates.  It's mostly  an economic game, with god-awful graphics, but the mechanics are flawless and the game even more open-ended than Meier's.  Apparently they made a sequel, which I never played.

• MalvolentiaMalvolentia Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Nuich

I used to love to play an old game on the Nintendo 64 from KOEi called Uncharted Waters and Uncharted Waters: Horizons.. It had it all, from exploration to pirating. I spent a lot of time on that game along with Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and Aerobiz.
    Sheesh I'm old.
    Nuich

I could play Romance of the three kingdoms until sunrise.  CaoCao with Guan Yu took a lot of hours out of my life.

Koei made the best turn-based games ever imo.

WoW fanboi: "lolz 11.5 million customers, itz obviously da best"

McDonald's: over 1 billion burgers served

• NuichNuich Member UncommonPosts: 123

Yeah, 3 kingdoms took up the majority of my time and Cao Cao with Guan Yu was the way to go. I loved being able to block off 3 or 4 provinces and let em starve, then send in Gyan Yu to do a 1 on 1 battle and wham, had new territory. That game, Uncharted waters and Aerobiz ate up alot of my life back then, KOEi was the best also IMHO. These were not pc games of course, sorry to go off topic.

I finally gave out on those games and discovered life after my C64 with a new Packard Bell computer and learned of the newest thing called AOHell. I found two games on there, Muds, one called Federation and the other Called Dragonrealms(Simutronics). I was used to 800 a month aol bills and 1k a month in phone bills because we had no local dialup, I had to use AOL's 800 number at 10cents a minute. Wife came real close to divorcing me for those first 6 months, then I learned control.

Funny thing is now is I still play that mud Dragonrealms. Anyway enough drivel, thought it was nice to see someone else know these games.

Nuich

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

-- The Outlaw Josey Wales

• SonicspeedSonicspeed Member Posts: 31

Sea dogs series and one from late 90's called Cutthroats was also much fun than potbs.

Even the board game Blackbeard is more fun than potbs.

Whatever

• aubryaubry Member Posts: 120

For a stand alone PC game there's also Port Royale 2.  It's basically a little more in-depth version of Pirates!.  You can do much more indepth trading and there's a fairly dedicated community.  The game even let's you create scripts to help run your empire and automate trade routes and such.  It's been out for a while so copies of the game can be ordered pretty cheap now.  The learning curve is a little steep at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not bad.

• CaptAntillusCaptAntillus Member Posts: 58

For single player game, I would say Porto Royale 2 and Patrician 3 are the best, altough they are more ecommy driven games.

As for my best pirate game on line, so far it has been Voyage Century.

I liked some concepts of PotBS, but found the land part control of the game a bit confusing, but I played only during the last OB.

I will try the Free Trial, when it´s released, and give this game another shot, despite the bad fame.

• Mark701Mark701 Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Nuich

Sheesh I'm old.
    Nuich

I LOVED those games too!! They were simple and elegant at the same time. Why can't someone develope another of this kind of game.

• AdrianusAdrianus Member Posts: 13

I loved the Uncharted Waters series, especially New Horizons on the SNES. I think Mercator was my favorite character. Since his quest was so open I would do a little bit of everything, trading, fighting, discoveries, ect.

CoX - Champion (Hero) - Guardian (Villain)
    FFXI - Diabolos
    WoW - Trollbane (Horde) - Misha (Ally)

• sniper48101sniper48101 Member Posts: 93

Game called : Age of Pirates from a couple years ago turned out very nice to me after some patching. It was sorta Sea Dogs II but without the skeletons and much better graphics. I wish PotBS was a AGe of Pirates online. Would have been great.

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

I loved New Horizons all of the series of Tropico also. I still have SNES New Horizons, was best pirate exploration game ever created in my opinion.

Also like playing www.Piratequest.Net

Who let you in the VIP section?