Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honestly, how is EVE?

2»

Comments

• RevthoughtRevthought Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by ventcg

Far enough off the mark?
    Let me see, I said that you will never reach the max level while you were still interested in the game....ok you said 50+ years to reach the max level, how was that wrong?
    I said you will never catch up to someone who has been playing since release....you concur with that.
    My reference about the corps was correct in MY point of view, which is how I wrote the original response.  Just because you got lucky and found a corp that works together, doesn't make your point of view more accurate.

How is that wrong? Clearly, I suppose you are correct, I could have read your original post to mean that "you'll get bored of playing eve way before you cap out because it will take 50 years."

However, you and I both know that's not what you implied. Your post was articulated in such a way as to imply that eve was boring, and since some skills at "end game" take 60 days or more to train, you'll leave before then.

And no that wasn't how you wrote you original post. You were generalizing EVE from your point of view perhaps. However, when you generalize the whole game instead of expressly saying "other people really like it, and have a different opinion than me" you are asserting that your "point of view" is the objective "how it is" of EVE online.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by n00bit

I've heard a lot about it over the past years, both good and bad. I tried out the trial a while back and cried a little when my first quest was to mine some ore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy gathering resources and crafting, but it just didn't seem like the first thing I wanted to do when I floated out into space. I uninstalled it after that quest, deciding that the quest had personally insulted me. Anyways, here I am again thinking about trying it out and actually giving it a decent shot this time. Before I do, I've come to he forums to ask if its worth starting at this point. A few things I'd like to ask:

At this point in the game, is it possible to catch up to other players in terms of upgrade and level(do they even have levels)?
    How does the PvP work...turn based, twitch, a mix?
    I've heard a lot about being able to train abilities offline, how does that work?
    Once I reach the max level, or the peak of my upgrading, what is there to do?
    How long will I have to play before I can start contributing to the community through PvP or crafting/gathering?
    Is it true that the GMs are corrupt and favor certain guilds?
    That's all I can really think of at the moment; I'd appreciate any input from honest players. I'd rather not have a fanboi come into the thread and tell me that god himself created the game =).

I can sum it up very simply for you.I'm not here to try and turn players away from the game, but i do like people to know the real truth before spending there money.The basis of the game is to fight ship vs ship.The graphics during the fight sequences are extremely weak.Like most games that have been around you can go straight out and buy the best upgrades and ship through RMT.The skillset IMO is again very weak,it offers no real USER skill but just click some skills you want raised and they auto start to upgrade over set times depending on the skill.Docking into stations,really isn't like docking,it's merely a screen that gives you a few choices.

So if you consider user thinking[wich skillsets to rise]as a great skill agenda and don't mind very weak graphic battles,then you might like the game.I found travel[distant travel]very hard to figure out as a noob,you got all the constelations linking to other constellations and hundreds of galaxies and planets to try and remember where each is.There is some kind of system that allows you to auto pilot, but been quite awhile since i played so i can't explain it that well,but auto piloting IMO ,why bother to play if that's what you gonna do.I am sure most do auto piloting because travel becomes boring very early in your noob game.

I think EVE and it's ideas had/have a lot of potential,but the game is very old looking and needs to be re done but with modern code and graphics,basically make it a game that plays like a modern game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by binjuice

Can we stop kicking the bloody horse...?
    Yes a CCP GM got caught cheating, yes it happened. But you name me ONE MMO  where a GM hasn't cheated, and thats ever in the life of the game. Its bound to happen and so, why discuss something that has no relation now? Look, your going to find that theres a little bit of favouratism here and there but thats life, CCP employees are allowed to play the game they make, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. The only reason it became a BIG issue is because the CEO was away at the time and the senior management mis-handled the situation letting an incident that should have been easily dealt with turn into something large and stupid.
    And to be straight forward about it, the cheating didn't effect ANYONE, and in relevance to the game that we play now, has no possible effect. So don't let anyone throw you off from playing because of the T20 incident. BTW, to the guy mentioning trying to post the topic on the CCP forums, its gets banned and locked because it is slotted as "trolling and abusive" why? Because it is no longer a topic in need of discussion and all that a thread would achieve would be a flame war between the die hard haters and lovers. And again, why kick a dead horse?
    Try the game, best answer to all your questions OP, nothing else to it. The game is nothing like anything else out there for play style and UI and environment. You have to learn it and then decide. Good Luck

the horse would stop being kicked if apologists would stop watering down the facts by saying that it was only one tiny thing one time.

that is a total and complete lie and utter bs.

so, get off the train of "oh it was just one little thing that only affected an elf in kansas" and the people who actually took offense at the plethora of PROVEN, FACTUAL cheating which has occured over the years, won't yell and scream every time.

but you know, there's also a lot of people that believe there ARE wmd in iraq and that the bush administration hasn't totally pissed on the Geneva Conventions and that they AREN'T a bunch of war criminals waging illegal wars of aggression.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by Wizardry

I've heard a lot about it over the past years, both good and bad. I tried out the trial a while back and cried a little when my first quest was to mine some ore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy gathering resources and crafting, but it just didn't seem like the first thing I wanted to do when I floated out into space. I uninstalled it after that quest, deciding that the quest had personally insulted me. Anyways, here I am again thinking about trying it out and actually giving it a decent shot this time. Before I do, I've come to he forums to ask if its worth starting at this point. A few things I'd like to ask:

At this point in the game, is it possible to catch up to other players in terms of upgrade and level(do they even have levels)?
    I've heard a lot about being able to train abilities offline, how does that work?
    How long will I have to play before I can start contributing to the community through PvP or crafting/gathering?
    That's all I can really think of at the moment; I'd appreciate any input from honest players. I'd rather not have a fanboi come into the thread and tell me that god himself created the game =).

I can sum it up very simply for you.I'm not here to try and turn players away from the game, but i do like people to know the real truth before spending there money.The basis of the game is to fight ship vs ship.The graphics during the fight sequences are extremely weak.Like most games that have been around you can go straight out and buy the best upgrades and ship through RMT.The skillset IMO is again very weak,it offers no real USER skill but just click some skills you want raised and they auto start to upgrade over set times depending on the skill.Docking into stations,really isn't like docking,it's merely a screen that gives you a few choices.

So if you consider user thinking[wich skillsets to rise]as a great skill agenda and don't mind very weak graphic battles,then you might like the game.I found travel[distant travel]very hard to figure out as a noob,you got all the constelations linking to other constellations and hundreds of galaxies and planets to try and remember where each is.There is some kind of system that allows you to auto pilot, but been quite awhile since i played so i can't explain it that well,but auto piloting IMO ,why bother to play if that's what you gonna do.I am sure most do auto piloting because travel becomes boring very early in your noob game.

I think EVE and it's ideas had/have a lot of potential,but the game is very old looking and needs to be re done but with modern code and graphics,basically make it a game that plays like a modern game.

they did update the look of the graphics with trinity and are supposedly going to add humanoid avatars in the winter patch.  i tend to agree with your take on the fight graphics though.

having said that, sometimes picking a specialty ship and training for it, is what can make the game fun and exciting for someone. 

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

In overall SP, no.. in specialized areas, yes.  Think of specializations as being kind of like 'classes' that overlap to varying degrees.   Some specs you can max quickly (such as tackling, a common rookie pvp specialization), some take over a year to do from scratch (cap ship pilots), most take 4-6 months or so.
    A mix.  Honestly, pvp combat in Eve is much more about preparation, recon, and execution of a plan than anything you do once the shooting starts.  PvP fights in Eve are, as a general, very one-sided - in a sense most fights are over before they start as the steep (but realistic) death penalty encourages people to only engage in fights they know they can win.  People only fight if they're prevented from fleeing an unfavorable encounter, or they're defending a stationary objective as part of a fleet (generally a POS) that's worth losing ships over.

All that said PvP in Eve is very fun, especially with the new factional warfare expansion.  PvP in Eve isn't about duels, honor, or fair fights - it's war and piracy - treat it like such you'll be successful, whether you're in a 0.0 fleet fight or just keeping ore thieves away from your can in highsec.
    You earn skill points in real time whether you're logged in or not, at a rate that is determined by your characters attributes - not all of them though, just the two used by the skill.  This is also the only thing your character's attributes do, so don't sweat them too much.

Because of this, most people will suggest you prioritize training learning skills (which raise your attributes) as early as possible, as well as getting a good implant set to further increase your learning speed.
    People either love or hate this feature - personally I love it since I have a demanding IRL job and I can't game for 12 hours a day, every day, just to keep up with my friends.  Others dislike it since they can't grind skills - no power leveling in Eve.  You can, however, grind all the ISK you like and in this game you need ISK since nothing you own has any permanancy and you'll need to be able to replace it all.
    There is no practical way to ever max your character's skills - with the game's current skill set it would take over twenty years to train them all to lv. 5.  Even the oldest, most trained player in Eve (who's over 5 years old, he was mentioned on a dev blog recently) can not possibly have more than 20% of max skills.

And the Ambulation expansion due out late this year (maybe eaprly next year, but probably this year) will add in a lot of new skills, which everyone will have to start from nothing if they want to participate in any meaningful way to the new content.
    Eve is really good about this - people in Eve are segregated by what they do, not by their SPs or how much ISK they have.   So if you decide to pvp, you can jump in a tackle frig on your first day (after you train Propulsion Jamming to level I) and fight right alongside battle-hardened, multi-year vets.  Same goes for mining, or trading, or even missioning.

Getting in a good corp that matches your playstyle is probably the most important thing you can do early on, after that you'll find that the fact that you might lack SPs won't really hold you back from contributing to the group.
    There was one incidient a couple years ago, and the corporation involved has since fallen from power and is a mere shadow of their former selves.  And unless you participate in 0.0 stuff it's unlikely to have affected you even if you were there at the time.
    The biggest things in Eve that people have a hard time adjusting to.. I know I did..

There is no 'progression' in Eve.  There is only a bunch of people doing what they think is fun.  There is no right way to play Eve - if you stay in highsec and run missions and that's what you do, that's fine.  If you decide to rob miners and steal mission salvage, that's fine.  If you band together with your friends and strike out to deep space to forge your own empire, that's fine, if you sit on gates in lowsec waiting to snipe solo faction warfare pilots, that's fine too.  Eve is about freedom - do the tutorial missions but don't become a slave to a talking NPC head or you'll miss 99% of what the game is about.

In relation to #1, Eve is all about competition.  If you mine, someone will eventually try to steal your ore.  If you steal ore, someone will try to bait you into a fight you can't win so they can loot your wreck and stroke their KB e-peen.  If you trade, others will try to outbid you, if you go hauling cargo through dangerous space, people will relieve you of it.  If you pirate, other pirates, or anti-pirates will come after you.  If you form a massive ISK-farming mining collective some pirate corp will see a bunch of soft targets and wardec you.  But you might hire some mercs and put them in the worse position.  Never forget that in Eve you will be opposed at every turn, even in the relative safety of highsec and even if there's no shooting involved.

In relation to #2, your ship will go kaboom sooner or later, so don't get attached to it, and don't 'pimp' it out unless you're loaded and have nothing better to blow your ISK on.  That said pimp ships are fun

If you get burned out, join a new corp, go somewhere new, do something else, or just quit for a while but keep your account active and your skills training.  Eve doesn't force you into any particular role and there's nothing stopping you from training for something new.

Always have a backup plan - no matter how careful you are you'll take it on the chin once in a while and having a fallback plan will make the difference between shrugging off a massive loss or scrambling to figure out what the hell you're going to do.

Anything allowed under game mechanics is legal - which means that if you trust the wrong people you can lose your shirt in a hurry.  Player politics is huge - from little stuff like, "Will this guy honor a 1v1?" to bigger things like "Is this guy going to scam me? " or "Can I trust this guy enough to let him in my corp?" or "Is this guy trustworthy enough to grant high-level privilages in my corp?  Or even make him a director?".   Your reputation is the most valueable thing your character will ever own - make sure you don't blemish it with something you don't want.

Last but not least, download Eve Fitting Tool and Evemon (google 'em) - EFT is a ship fitter and Evemon lets you see your skill training progress when you're not logged in (among many other things), both are considered must-have utilities by most of the community.

Have fun, and fly safe :)

Originally posted by Garkan

Look at it this way the T20 guy cheated at a game and used an unfair advantage, yes it was a breach of trust but the guy who blew the whistle used illegal methods and broke several international laws.
    Performing real world criminal acts>cheating in a game.

must be why that guy went to jail.

oh wait, he didn't.

but he did get banned for doing the same things that a certain leader of bob did.  actually for doing LESS than that leader of bob did; but the leader of bob didn't get banned.

guess you forgot those little factual things eh?

t20's crap wasn't anything but crap.  all the OTHER cheating that has gone on and slowly been 'fessed up to.  combined with the FACT that they only admitted to part of what t20 was accused of doing, and completely ignored the other allegations, says a lot about the character, and lack of said character, of the people involved.

eve would be a better game if they fired all the damned cheaters, instead of covering for them and making lame excuses.

Originally posted by damian7

Look at it this way the T20 guy cheated at a game and used an unfair advantage, yes it was a breach of trust but the guy who blew the whistle used illegal methods and broke several international laws.

oh wait, he didn't.

but he did get banned for doing the same things that a certain leader of bob did.  actually for doing LESS than that leader of bob did; but the leader of bob didn't get banned.

t20's crap wasn't anything but crap.  all the OTHER cheating that has gone on and slowly been 'fessed up to.  combined with the FACT that they only admitted to part of what t20 was accused of doing, and completely ignored the other allegations, says a lot about the character, and lack of said character, of the people involved.

eve would be a better game if they fired all the damned cheaters, instead of covering for them and making lame excuses.

Do you have a chip on your shoulder or what, dude? So far I count 6 anti-eve spams from you in 4 different threads. Good work.

I'm not the biggest fan of how CCP handled the whole T20 situation. Something to keep in mind though is that CCP is an Icelandic company, and as such it falls under EU labor law. Its very VERY difficult to fire someone in the EU.

I trust, however, that CCP has actually minimized the "cheating" issues as of late.

I'd also like to point out that CCP is the only MMO company that has let players elect representitives from amongst themselves, who were flown out to Iceland so that the whole development process is more transparent for the players.

You won't see Blizzard or SOE doing this. ;-)

As for the law thing and Sir Molle. I really don't really know much about the details, other than hearsay bantered about the forums.

What I will say is that LOTS of people opening break the law and aren't even arrested--let alone thrown in prison.

You're points are pretty thin, and your trolling absurd.

Cheers,

S

Originally posted by Revthought

oh wait, he didn't.

Do you have a chip on your shoulder or what, dude? So far I count 6 anti-eve spams from you in 4 different threads. Good work.

I'm not the biggest fan of how CCP handled the whole T20 situation. Something to keep in mind though is that CCP is an Icelandic company, and as such it falls under EU labor law. Its very VERY difficult to fire someone in the EU.

I trust, however, that CCP has actually minimized the "cheating" issues as of late.

I'd also like to point out that CCP is the only MMO company that has let players elect representitives from amongst themselves, who were flown out to Iceland so that the whole development process is more transparent for the players.

As for the law thing and Sir Molle. I really don't really know much about the details, other than hearsay bantered about the forums.

What I will say is that LOTS of people opening break the law and aren't even arrested--let alone thrown in prison.

Cheers,

S

it's not like molley posted someone's real information on eve-o and encouraged people to call his place of business and try to get the guy fired.

oh wait.

damn those pesky things we call 'facts'.

edit:

for the record, i'm not anti-eve, in the slightest.  i am, however, anti-stupid/ignorant/delusional in extremis.  as i type this, i'm in the process of doing some real boring pos junk.  cuz i'm a team player and that's what it's about.

so you can go back to your bars, your temples, your massage parlors.... i'll be out here, keeping it safe for my peeps.

oh wait, he didn't.

Cheers,

S

it's not like molley posted someone's real information on eve-o and encouraged people to call his place of business and try to get the guy fired.

oh wait.

edit:

for the record, i'm not anti-eve, in the slightest.  i am, however, anti-stupid/ignorant/delusional in extremis.  as i type this, i'm in the process of doing some real boring pos junk.  cuz i'm a team player and that's what it's about.

so you can go back to your bars, your temples, your massage parlors.... i'll be out here, keeping it safe for my peeps.

Damian,

Do you have proof that Sir Molle did what you are claiming? Can I have a link please? Oh wait, never mind, we know how you feel about actually being asked to prove your off-the-cuff remarks.

And you are accusing people of extremism and half truths? Yet you fail to provide any links or support for anything you say, and everything you post about eve is negative.

Its funny really that you are basically accusing me of being an extreme eve fanboi, when in the other thread, where you completely ignored me, I point out specifically that no MMO is perfect and agree that there will always be balancing issues in eve that will need constant work.

And then, while ignoring the whole point of my post that CCP allows elected player representatives to go to Iceland (CCP flew them out for free actually) to make the whole development process more transparent, you are telling me that you do POS junk and thus play EVE.

My question to you is this, since you make it very clear how much you dislike eve and the company that makes the game, WHY THE FUCK are you playing it? That's really quite confusing, and dare I say, contradicts your whole persona on these forums.

-S

• KallesKalles Member Posts: 56

I tried EvE, and didnt like it... Its too complicate and it takes too much time (a yeaer?) to actualy develop your pod pilot (avatar) and play real part of the game... I dont like to be a ship too, its kind of rly difrent then any other MMO or RPG but its neither Space Simulation- you dont drive your ship, you must click where to go...

One is sure, ITS NOT BAD GAME... Comunity is nice... Its just difrent on the way i dont like... But there is players who enjoy it... It has 14 days trial, so any one can try it...

Originally posted by Kalles

I tried EvE, and didnt like it... Its too complicate and it takes too much time (a yeaer?) to actualy develop your pod pilot (avatar) and play real part of the game... I dont like to be a ship too, its kind of rly difrent then any other MMO or RPG but its neither Space Simulation- you dont drive your ship, you must click where to go...
    One is sure, ITS NOT BAD GAME... Comunity is nice... Its just difrent on the way i dont like... But there is players who enjoy it... It has 14 days trial, so any one can try it...

Amen, brother. This is actually helpful to someone who might be thinking about playing eve.

Also, just an FYI, around Christmas EVE is launching ambulation--meaning you'll have a real avatar that can walk around stations and ships.

I hear planetary interaction is coming shortly after this.

-S

oh wait, he didn't.

Cheers,

S

oh wait.

edit:

Damian,

Do you have proof that Sir Molle did what you are claiming? Can I have a link please? Oh wait, never mind, we know how you feel about actually being asked to prove your off-the-cuff remarks.

And you are accusing people of extremism and half truths? Yet you fail to provide any links or support for anything you say, and everything you post about eve is negative.

Its funny really that you are basically accusing me of being an extreme eve fanboi, when in the other thread, where you completely ignored me, I point out specifically that no MMO is perfect and agree that there will always be balancing issues in eve that will need constant work.

And then, while ignoring the whole point of my post that CCP allows elected player representatives to go to Iceland (CCP flew them out for free actually) to make the whole development process more transparent, you are telling me that you do POS junk and thus play EVE.

My question to you is this, since you make it very clear how much you dislike eve and the company that makes the game, WHY THE FUCK are you playing it? That's really quite confusing, and dare I say, contradicts your whole persona on these forums.

-S

if you have to ask for proof of sirmolle.  you're either very new to the game.  never visit eve o forums. or you're a liar.

i'm not accusing you of being a fanboi.  i have NEVER said fanboi.  i've thought, possibly implied, maybe even said --  you have no clue what you're talking about in regards to eve. 

BUT i would never call someone that makes the posts you have made of late, a fanboi of eve. 

trust me, fanboi is not a name i would use, it's just not appropriate.  eve fanbois know the game and understand its flaws and would explain away how something isn't a flaw instead of trying to dance around fanciful semantics.  eve fanboi, you are not.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Ungh

WTF does crap that happened in the past have to do with any of the fucking questions the OP asked?  I swear to god I'm so sick of the tinfoil brigade cluttering up every goddamn post in here with their crap.

Yes, the T20 incident happened and was eventually (too slowly imo) dealt with

Yes, SirMolle should have gotten a ban but hey, it's CCP's game and they can ban, or not ban, whoever the hell they want to, or don't want to.  It's even in the EULA:  They can ban you for any reason they damn well want to... or not.  It is up to THEM who they ban or don't ban, not  us.  We agree to those terms every time we play.  So please, get over it already.

Corrupt volunteers?  Show me 1 online game, just one... any one... where this hasn't happened?  Most volunteer 'guide'/'helper'/'councelor'/whatever program has had their fair share of issues with corruption/cheating/favouritism.  EVE is no exception.  It happens...  when it does it gets dealt with eventually.

Bottom line:

EVE is a fun game for those who enjoy the type of game it is.  Will the OP enjoy it?  Who friggen knows.  But imo, he should try it, and find out for himself.  God knows you lot are about unhelpful as hell in the matter.  I've never, not even once, in my entire time playing EVE, been affected by any of the 'scandals' that have occurred.  Not a SINGLE ONE has affected me.  And yes, I fought in the great war... against bob, alongside bob, and eventually against bob again.  Not because of some stupid nonsense with T20, Sirmolle or CCP's dog... but because it was FUN.

Get over yourselves.  It's CCP's game, they will run it how they will run it.  Either enjoy it, or don't.  Play it, or don't.  But don't sit there and wax poetic on how the game 'should' be run.  Because unless you own it you really have no say in things.  Don't like it?  Kindly gtfo so someone else who does like it can play.

Oh, and just for the uninformed... all these scandals that people are waxing poetic about happened between 1 and 2 years ago.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

For starters that Quest was only showing you 1 of hundreds of ways to play EVE. Mining/Resource gathering is only a small part of the game, and you don't even have to do it, ever, if you don't want to. There are plenty of other ways to earn an income in EVE.

No levels. EVE is a skill tree based game. You choose the skills you want to have, and you train them to the level at which you want to have them. Because of the way this works while you will never 'catch up' to a veteran player in "total" skills you will eventually catch up in various areas of skill. For example, interceptors. In only a few short weeks a brand new player can fly an interceptor just as well as any 5 year veteran can. In a few more weeks they can fly an interdictor, covops, recon or other ship in the same manner. They do, however, need to specialize to minimize the time required to get to those levels if that is their goal. If you try to generalize you will take much longer to 'catch up' at all.

Realtime, timer based. You choose your combat actions and activate your modules at whatever points in the combat you wish. They have cooldown/refire timers, however, so you won't be able to fire again (it will fire/activate automatically at the end of each 'cycle' on it's own unless you shut that feature off on an item. So while it isn't 'twitch' it is real time, not turn based.

Simplly put: Once you start to train a skill it will keep training that skill for X time (where X is the total time required to get you to the next level of skill) regardless of whether you are in the game or not. This allows more casual players to keep up with other players on acquiring and mastering new skills.

HEHE you will quickly find that if EVE is a game you enjoy... this never happens.

You can start contributing to the community almost from day 1 to be honest.

There was one particular incident with 1 Dev 2 years ago which, while it took CCP a long time to PROPERLY deal with the issue, got dealt with eventually and in an adequate manner. There's a lot of tinfoil hattery over it and a bunch of nonsense as well but the bottom line is that EVE has had 1 or two pretty minor incidents (in the grand scheme of things) that have gotten out of hand in the past. Key word being: In the past. Nothing even remotely 'new' in the 'scandal' department (that we know of anyway) has gone on since and CCP has promised that with all the new policies, procedures and security measures they have implemented they'll be able to keep it that way.

Hope this helps. The game is a lot of fun... if you like it... it can also be extremely boring, if you don't.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell