Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love the idea.. worth looking into?

snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

I was a big fan of Sid's Pirates. I really enjoy the whole concept. I also love games with a decent Economy and have heard that POTBS really tried to push it. So with that said is it worth looking into this game or well I get a big fat let down?

Comments

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599

I think your best bet is to wait a week or two as I believe they will be starting free trials then.  No sense wasting money at the moment and the plus side will be you can start off with new folks from the get go.

I wouldn't read too much into the PoTBS official forums as well, maybe get a feel for which of the 4 servers and societies but keep an unbiased eye on the forum jousting,  IMO some of those people are responsible for chasing away a decent portion of the population with the elitist PvP spiel.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by majoch

I wouldn't read too much into the PoTBS official forums as well, maybe get a feel for which of the 4 servers and societies but keep an unbiased eye on the forum jousting,  IMO some of those people are responsible for chasing away a decent portion of the population with the elitist PvP spiel.

Exactly.  Much of the server-specific forum stuff revolves around banter and witty repartees using Bombay TV clips.  To that crowd, no salvation outside PvP, which is precisely what turned me off the game (including the lack of endgame beyond PvP).

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599

I will admit that I did find some of those Bombay clips funny though but agree with you entirely.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

And surely you must have noticed that "Save Linna" cabal on the Rackham forum, with everyone rushing to sign the petition.

I decided not to do so, for a variety of reasons:

1) I'm not playing anymore, so it's none of my business.

2) I don't even know this Linna, even though I played on Rackham for 2 months.  My guess is that this Linna, who seems to have quite a reputation (otherwise the community wouldn't care) didn't revolve around my circle.  All I knew of her was what she posted on the forums.

3) Apparently the reason she was banned was because she had 3 accounts and played different factions on the same server, which a devlog recently stated is against the rules of the game.  I, for one, with my measly one account, tend to resent people with multiple accounts, as the only purpose to them is to give you an edge economically (very easy to do in this game, which has limited production lots) or strategically.  As far as I know, multi-boxing was tolerated by FLS (since it just means additional revenue, why wouldn't they?), but it's probably the multi-nation part which irks them.

FLS might be shooting itself in the foot by banning her, but she's a symbol of everything I hate in gaming: those who are ready to shell out more money just to get "an edge".  I wouldn't do it even if I could afford it.  But to her credit, she played as nationals, and  apparently wasn't using multi-boxing to provide ship durabilities to pirates.

4) In the end, she said that faced with a choice of either moving her characters, deleting them, or getting banned, she decided to leave the game.  So it's not exactly as though she was being banned without lack of an alternative.

• bigfootsbigfoots Member Posts: 198

Definitely wait for the free trials matey, I played at launch and initially loved it....didn't take very long at all (say less than a week) for my opinion of the game to turn around completely (the same for numerous buddies of mine who dropped the game like a hot potato within the first month).

At least with the free trial you can learn how you feel about the game over a period of time without splashing the cash!

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,
    Proud FORMER Master CH...
    my toon was untimely converted into something more Star Warsy