Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars - More MMO or RPG?

Wildman2121Wildman2121 Member Posts: 90

Sorry for all the post lately, but im really interested in this game and I want to learn as much as I can. Ive heard a lot of of people say that Guild Wars really isnt a MMO, but just a game thats online. Im aware that you can actually beat it and the towns are the only places you can see other players, but is it more of a MMO or offline RPG?

Comments

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

GuildWars is centered more on PvP tournament/ladder style but there is a great storyline PvE which is great.

MMO no really in the classic sence

offline RPG not at all.

you cant solo in GuildWars at all. (i mean solo as in your character and thats it) you have henchmen and heroes that help you along the way. 

henchmen NPC you recruit in town "as is"

hero NPC you train give weapons and runes and have more control over  him.

theoretically yes you can go through all campains PvE without speaking to another human being. but there is no fun in that.

i found a great guild that we ran quests to get items (cosmetics mostly since i was maxed out when i reached lvl 20) just to look cool, get titles, gold etc... then when we want to get serious we would go in PvP (which is what the game mainly concentrates)

many forms of PvP battles exist from guild v guild, to alliace battles (factions) to 4v4 1v1 or 8v8 ladder

i would say its a style on its own. but you will be bored with it if you treat it like an offline RPG.

hope it helps (ive been playing since beta1 so if you have any questions PM me here on MMORPG.com)

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Guild Wars is what you make of it. If you want to play it as if it's an offline RPG, you won't be able to go at it purely solo, but you can hire NPC henchmen or bring along NPC heroes instead of real people. If you want to play it as if it's an MMO, they you simply replace the henchmen and heroes with real people.

In the end, you're going to come across real people in towns, so by default it's inbetween the two. From there it's up to you to do what you want.

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

[quote]Originally posted by Squal'Zell
    [b]
    you cant solo in GuildWars at all. (i mean solo as in your character and thats it) you have henchmen and heroes that help you along the way. 

b][/quote]

I have to completely disagree with you on this. I am a casual player and haven't had much luck with guilds accepting my shift work or the fact that I have to log out at a moments notice to take care of something with my family. That said, I solo almost exclusively. I've end gamed the orignal prophecies that way...not saying it was easy, but it was possible once hero's and being able to position them came about. My two year old ranger has every henchman, good armor, excellent weapons and skills and a bunch of dungeons from GW:EN. It's slower, to be sure.

GW is what a person makes of it. I don't, personaly, like to PvP all that much. To me it is nothing but a grindfest to get the "best" stuff and make the "best" build so you can stand around and brag like a kid who beat up another on the playground, you know the "I pwnd them!" stuff. But that's my take on PvP, a lot of people disagree with that. To most PvE is boring.

Is it possible to solo....absolutely and you will make level 20 pretty quickly, but you will need to take time to figure out each part of the PvE storyline and sometimes get very creative with your NPC help.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

Originally posted by NFWolfDude

[b]

b][/quote]
    I have to completely disagree with you on this. I am a casual player and haven't had much luck with guilds accepting my shift work or the fact that I have to log out at a moments notice to take care of something with my family. That said, I solo almost exclusively. I've end gamed the orignal prophecies that way...not saying it was easy, but it was possible once hero's and being able to position them came about. My two year old ranger has every henchman, good armor, excellent weapons and skills and a bunch of dungeons from GW:EN. It's slower, to be sure.
    GW is what a person makes of it. I don't, personaly, like to PvP all that much. To me it is nothing but a grindfest to get the "best" stuff and make the "best" build so you can stand around and brag like a kid who beat up another on the playground, you know the "I pwnd them!" stuff. But that's my take on PvP, a lot of people disagree with that. To most PvE is boring.
    Is it possible to solo....absolutely and you will make level 20 pretty quickly, but you will need to take time to figure out each part of the PvE storyline and sometimes get very creative with your NPC help.

make  a pvp character get the best stuff by clicking on it

make a pve character and get lvl 20 and the best stuff by 1/4 through the game

not much of a grind fest there

now to get the best build is another story,, if  you go selectively then it takes no time at all, finish the game and buy the skills you need (which cost 1 platinum each which you can get in 15 minutes)

selecting skills takes more reading and researching grind than actual gameplay grind

guild wars pvp is centered more on tournament style pvp, like guild vs guild ladder, or hero's ascent tournaments where 2 teams willingly set themselves up to fight, just like a soccer tournament, or a hockey match. and everyone being at the same playing field the advantage goes to the smarter or most organized team. just like a team sporting event

• Ritsuka81Ritsuka81 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Lydon

Guild Wars is what you make of it. If you want to play it as if it's an offline RPG, you won't be able to go at it purely solo, but you can hire NPC henchmen or bring along NPC heroes instead of real people. If you want to play it as if it's an MMO, they you simply replace the henchmen and heroes with real people.

In the end, you're going to come across real people in towns, so by default it's inbetween the two. From there it's up to you to do what you want.

I second this comment merely for input's sake.

What you do is up to you. If you don't want to pvp, just get your character to level 20 in the "RPG" realms. If you want to PVP, sign up for a PVP character and have a blast. Though, IMO, doing both is the best thing to do. You get stuff for your PVP character by doing RPG things.

At least, that's how it worked the last time I played.

Originally posted by NFWolfDude

[b]you cant solo in GuildWars at all. (i mean solo as in your character and thats it) you have henchmen and heroes that help you along the way. 

b][/quote]

That's exactly what he said. You can't solo as in *just* you in your party, but you can "solo" with henchmen and heroes...

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

PvP does require you to either get friends or a guild to play with or acquire ranks to show people that you aren't a complete noob; and getting Mighty Hero (r3 Hero, allows for emote and to show your rank) can take quite a long time if you're only running randomway. And Neither will acquiring Gladiatior be easy (r1 Gladiator, can be showed) if you only run Random Arenas.

If you, however, define Guild Wars content as farming then I doubt you'll ever find a MMO that can satisfy you if you don't want to "farm". Getting the best gear and most of the skills take only a very small time and unlocking the major part of your skills will neither take very long. Lack of ranks can easily be solved by simply trying to be social; and getting friends; and joining a guild.

Guild Wars would fit better with the name Build Wars, because that's what it is - a war of builds where the one with the best build got a major advantage, even if the players skill counts too. You'll after playing the game for a while learn what works and what doesn't, so in the end making good builds won't be very hard. Proceeding to higher forms of PvP will also result in that player skill becomes more important as the builds played there are all as "best" as they could be - since there's nothing such as best in Guild Wars.

Originally posted by Godliest

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

PvP does require you to either get friends or a guild to play with or acquire ranks to show people that you aren't a complete noob; and getting Mighty Hero (r3 Hero, allows for emote and to show your rank) can take quite a long time if you're only running randomway. And Neither will acquiring Gladiatior be easy (r1 Gladiator, can be showed) if you only run Random Arenas.

If you, however, define Guild Wars content as farming then I doubt you'll ever find a MMO that can satisfy you if you don't want to "farm". Getting the best gear and most of the skills take only a very small time and unlocking the major part of your skills will neither take very long. Lack of ranks can easily be solved by simply trying to be social; and getting friends; and joining a guild.

Guild Wars would fit better with the name Build Wars, because that's what it is - a war of builds where the one with the best build got a major advantage, even if the players skill counts too. You'll after playing the game for a while learn what works and what doesn't, so in the end making good builds won't be very hard. Proceeding to higher forms of PvP will also result in that player skill becomes more important as the builds played there are all as "best" as they could be - since there's nothing such as best in Guild Wars.

sry there, that is not my quote please edit it

and to comment about your post, not only the build counts, though it does play a major advantage but organization and communication as well play a really big part in pvp

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

I would say more like a RPG. It has no elements to be called as an MMO. Lot of people here do not understand the term MMORPG so no point arguing with them.

The argument that the instances cause it not to be an MMO is nonsense, as that would effectively be saying that every time you enter an instance in WoW you're suddenly not playing an MMO anymore.

The argument that the instances cause it not to be an MMO is nonsense, as that would effectively be saying that every time you enter an instance in WoW you're suddenly not playing an MMO anymore.

GW totally instanced, WOW with few instances... what are you trying to compare here? i know you are GW fan and invested way too much time and money in it but that doesn't mean you are always right my friend.

Oh so having an opinion suddenly means I think I'm always right?

I don't understand what's so hard to understand. As you agreed, WoW has a few instances and a mostly persistent world. Now what's I'm asking is: what's the difference between a fully-packed Guild Wars town and a WoW city? There isn't much. Sure, the Guild Wars city is in fact an instance, but there are tons of people playing the game together in one zone, just as there is in WoW.

Does exiting a city into an instance in WoW make it any less of an MMO? No. There are still many zones in which you can meet up with other people. The exact same thing applies to Guild Wars...

• Wildman2121Wildman2121 Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Shastra

GW totally instanced, WOW with few instances... what are you trying to compare here? i know you are GW fan and invested way too much time and money in it but that doesn't mean you are always right my friend.

Yes, great argument..congratulations.. (sarcasim)

Hes invested too much money into GW? You relize this is a f2p game right? I see youve been playing LOTRO for awhile their..now youre spending to much money..

Originally posted by Wildman2121

Yes, great argument..congratulations.. (sarcasim)
    Hes invested too much money into GW? You relize this is a f2p game right? I see youve been playing LOTRO for awhile their..now youre spending to much money..

Yes you are more intelligent than me thats why you couldn't post anything worthwhile to my crap argument? *bows* i accept you superiority sir!

And yes you have to invest money in GW because its free to play not free to buy. Lotr in another 6 months will be still cheaper as compared to GW. Considering F2P or P2P thats the amount of time good enough to get everything you want from a game. So what your point was again?

Next time if you got nothing to add don't post it just helps in reducing garbage on the forums.

Getting back to lydon. When people usually spend a lot of time on a certain game they tend to form a kind of affection to it and hence defend everything about it whether its true or not. Its not something new so don't be offended.

You wrote in your post that tons of people play GW together. Yes tons of people play but not together. Standing in a town and chatting doesn't consider to be playing a MMO together. MMO represents an open persistent world something like Vanguard where there are no invisible walls and linear path which gives you a feeling of being closed in a box.

Moreover GW developers themselves do not consider it to be a MMO so why fans try to shove that idea through others throat is something i will never understand. I love GW and i am a big fan of its PVP but no way this game can be called MMO.

And please don't confuse zones with instances there is a big difference between the two.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

71 Hours the last week... That's roughly 10 hours per day; and you accuse Lydon of having played too much? But apart from that I don't really see how you argue against anything, you just state what we already know and then make a personal accusation.

You wrote in your post that tons of people play GW together. Yes tons of people play but not together. Standing in a town and chatting doesn't consider to be playing a MMO together. MMO represents an open persistent world something like Vanguard where there are no invisible walls and linear path which gives you a feeling of being closed in a box.

Says who? I considering myself to be playing a game if I'm sitting in front of my PC using it. Are you saying Second Life isn't an MMO because people chat?

71 Hours the last week... That's roughly 10 hours per day; and you accuse Lydon of having played too much? But apart from that I don't really see how you argue against anything, you just state what we already know and then make a personal accusation.

Ummm? well you won't see me saying or spreading wrong information about LOTR on lotr forums. You may check if you like that sort of thing.

The day i act like an unreasonable LOTR fanboy than you come and show me the amount of hours i played. Moreover i didn't mention LOTR even once did i? this whole discussion is about GW in case you didn't read properly.

So you do agree that this all has already been stated but still latch on to GW IS MMORPG thing? well denial is a good thing/ Atleast it keeps you happy.

Lydon there is a lot more to game than just chatting. Your point was that tons of people play it together. Can you explain it to me how? I am talking about open persistent world without limitations not small outposts where you get together and chat.

And didn't the developer said its CORPG? maybe you fanboys know it better. *shrugs*

Ummm? well you won't see me saying or spreading wrong information about LOTR on lotr forums. You may check if you like that sort of thing.
    The day i act like an unreasonable LOTR fanboy than you come and show me the amount of hours i played. Moreover i didn't mention LOTR even once did i? this whole discussion is about GW in case you didn't read properly.
    So you do agree that this all ahs already been stated but still latch on to GW IS MMORPG thing? well denial is a good thing/ Atleast it keeps you happy.
    Lydon there is a lot more to game than just chatting. Your point was that tons of people play it together. Can you explain it to me how? I am talking about open persistent world without limitations not small outposts where you get together and chat.

That's just what you fail to grasp. Who says a game has to be persistent to be an MMO? That's utter BS.

As I said before, in town I can trade with other players, chat to them, take part in festival games etc. Heck, I can even form a giant conga line consisting of over a hundred people should I wish to. I certainly consider that to be playing with other people, I don't know about you.

Let's put it into another perspective - a sandbox MMO. These usually have very little quests. You seem to be saying that in order to 'play' I need to quest or kill mobs. Are crafters in a sandbox MMO then not playing a game according to your definition?

Oh and lastly, Godliest was simply pointing out the fact that you said I've invested too much time in GW when you're doing exactly the same with LotRO.

So you do agree that this all ahs already been stated but still latch on to GW IS MMORPG thing? well denial is a good thing/ Atleast it keeps you happy.
    That's just what you fail to grasp. Who says a game has to be persistent to be an MMO? That's utter BS.

As I said before, in town I can trade with other players, chat to them, take part in festival games etc. Heck, I can even form a giant conga line consisting of over a hundred people should I wish to. I certainly consider that to be playing with other people, I don't know about you.

Let's put it into another perspective - a sandbox MMO. These usually have very little quests. You seem to be saying that in order to 'play' I need to quest or kill mobs. Are crafters in a sandbox MMO then not playing a game according to your definition?

Oh and lastly, Godliest was simply pointing out the fact that you said I've invested too much time in GW when you're doing exactly the same with LotRO.

I am sorry i didn't make up the definition of MMORPG so don't hate on me.

Who says it has to be that way i dont' know. But if you go back to traditional MMO thats what was and is still the basis of making an MMO. An open persistent world.

You do chat take part in festivals etc etc but an MMO is not limited to only such activities. Lack of questing doesn't make a game less MMO its the limitations on your freedom.

When a game makes you feel you are playing a single player game online you really don't feel part of the bigger picture.

Thats why i consider Vanguard and Everquest to be true MMORPGS.

Once again its not about quests or complex crafting its about the freedom you get when you play. And GW offers very less.

Originally posted by Shasta

I am sorry i didn't make up the definition of MMORPG so don't hate on me.
    Who says it has to be that way i dont' know. But if you go back to traditional MMO thats what was and is still the basis of making an MMO. An open persistent world.
    You do chat take part in festivals etc etc but an MMO is not limited to only such activities. Lack of questing doesn't make a game less MMO its the limitations on your freedom.
    When a game makes you feel you are playing a single player game online you really don't feel part of the bigger picture.
    Thats why i consider Vanguard and Everquest to be true MMORPGS.
    Once again its not about quests or complex crafting its about the freedom you get when you play. And GW offers very less.

How does Guild Wars limit your freedom any more than many other MMOs? Sure, you may be limited to a party of 8 outside of towns and cities, but other MMOs have group limits too. I see hardly and difference between being in a group of 8 people in an instance and being in a group of 8 people outside of one. Sure, you can see other people walking by, but that in no way changes the fact that you are limited in what you can do.

If you feel like you're playing a singleplayer game whilst playing Guild Wars, it isn't the game's fault. I never do, simply because I group as often as possible and chat to people in my guild and my alliance. When I'm done with a quest, I travel to a town where I see hundrends of people running around with whom I can interact.

Simply because Guild Wars limits players when it comes to questing and missions, does not mean that it is any less of an MMO. It's one factor of a very large game. I fail to see how persistence offers more freedom  apart from being able to see and interact with people in more space. That's all persistence really is - space.

• rerolizreroliz Member Posts: 4

Moreover GW developers themselves do not consider it to be a MMO so why fans try to shove that idea through others throat is something i will never understand. I love GW and i am a big fan of its PVP but no way this game can be called MMO.

I'm not really sure why you are on such a crusade for incorrect political correctness, but I will for the second time in a row attack your claim of the GW is not a MMO.

First lets define things: MMO[G] stands for Massively Multiplayer Online (with the implied) [Game]

There is not a MMO[LNIBD]- Linear, none-instanced based design hidden in there to be impied.

If you are going to fall back on the they say it is not a MMO then look again at my other post here: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2137442#2137442

Therefore if they consider this a MMO, and last time I looked at this game I could log on and see a massive number of other players online, you can play together that makes it multiplayer, and well you can only play it online. Hmmm sounds supsuciously like a Massively multiplayer Online game to me folks.

I am not biased. I haven't played this game in years....

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Great! Another semantics discussion. Just play the bloody game and decide for yourself. Only simple people need to put lables on everything

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

3 years later and people are still arguing this. Classic!  Came to see what has changed in the game i loved for so long.  Apparently, not much.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"