Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 July 2008 - Price changes for new subscribers

devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

1 July 2008 - Price changes for new subscribers   Next

For new subscribers becoming members on or after the 4th August, the monthly cost for a RuneScape subscription will increase 30p in the UK, $0.95 in the US and by similar amounts in other currencies. These are examples of the credit card prices - all other payment types will be increasing by a similar margin. If you are an existing member, or you subscribe before the 4th August, this price change will not affect you, as long as you keep your membership valid.

If you are an existing member and you allow your membership to lapse for more than two weeks (after the 4th of August), you will be charged the new rate when you re-subscribe.

RuneScape subscription costs have not changed since RuneScape memberships started in 2002, over 6 years ago! Inflation and exchange rates mean we are having to adjust our prices slightly.

LMAO.  This game is already $60 membership per year minimum for substandard work, why would anyone pay more for this junk when they can buy a quality game like Guild wars for $30 , no monthly fees to play forever? I don't get it. Maybe they will when Guild wars2 comes out. It will not have monthly subs either, and will have crafting and a persistant world. I guess they needed to raise the prices to make up for their recent membership losses due to their bad decsions and fund  Fun orb and Mechscape. But then again that is typical Jagex, take alot and give very little back to their players. Keeping in mind with this game that your time and effort put into your characters means absolutly nothing to them. Your character is the sole property of Jagex ltd. They can ban you without evidence at anytime, just because some kid wanted to report you for no apparent reason.  No I was not banned but in the many years of playing that game I knew many who were, and Jagex does not care who they wrongfully ban and will not discuss it after they do. They have a habit of banning grandmas, teachers,  and good law abiding players for no apparent reason. So now they want more money for a game so that you can invest your time and money into only to have your acount taken from you after all the effort you put into it. Doesn;t that sound like fun?  What a deal!

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by deviliscious

1 July 2008 - Price changes for new subscribers   Next

For new subscribers becoming members on or after the 4th August, the monthly cost for a RuneScape subscription will increase 30p in the UK, $0.95 in the US and by similar amounts in other currencies. These are examples of the credit card prices - all other payment types will be increasing by a similar margin. If you are an existing member, or you subscribe before the 4th August, this price change will not affect you, as long as you keep your membership valid.
    If you are an existing member and you allow your membership to lapse for more than two weeks (after the 4th of August), you will be charged the new rate when you re-subscribe.
    RuneScape subscription costs have not changed since RuneScape memberships started in 2002, over 6 years ago! Inflation and exchange rates mean we are having to adjust our prices slightly.

Edited for SkinnyUndead

• KillerEwokKillerEwok Member UncommonPosts: 118

Didn't the price already go down from 7$ to 5$ a month?

• nightwing70nightwing70 Member Posts: 142

I still have no respect to this BS game ever since they raped the wild and murdered the trade system.

Originally posted by nightwing70

I still have no respect to this BS game ever since they raped the wild and murdered the trade system.

And neither do I.

Enough is enough, and the way Jagex treats their custamors and fans is really poor.

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

I despise Runescape, but seriously RS > GW.

GW is nothing but trash.

• KillerEwokKillerEwok Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by bluealien1

GW is nothing but trash.

Care to explain?

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;WHAT THEY REALLY WERE SAYING:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;::::::::::

Hello RS players.  WE raised the price of subscription prices since we lost so many members from our updates!! Woooo, thanks for teh extra cash.

You see, RS fans, we were stupid and didn't think out our updates.  Now, don't get me wrong, we tried ways to fix our stupidity, but things like these just don't go away.  

After we realized we couldn't fix the problems, we just decided to lie and chenge the player count on the top of RuneScape.  HAHAHA, we had you guys for awhile, but we realized lying won't make us money.

SO, after taking 6 seconds to think of an update (3 seconds longer than usual), we decided to raise the subscription prices for you poor saps still playing!!!  Now, we're just lying about the reason since you kids don't know crap about the econemy.  The REAL reason we did this is because our stocks and profits were dropping like crazy, so we just raised the prices!! ROFL, good thing you kids don't know that.

LOL!   I am not editing it because it is sad but soo true! And I could care less about the emotionally unstable.. THEY CAN DEAL WITH IT.  Why do they get so upset? because they know it's true but they want to make excuses for themselves to provide them some little comfort as they throw their money and time away. Instead of standing up for what they know  would be way better they just accept whatever is given. Sorry guys but I don;t just accept it, I do something about it.  There is one constant in this world and that is change, if we want it to be change for the good we have to express our feelings about it otherwise they will just give you the bad. 

GW is nothing but trash.

LOL!  GW >>>>>> way better>>>>>>> than ruinedscape. Get real now seriously.  I wonder why in the guild wars section of these forums you do not have so many people coming there to complain about the game? The graphics, the game controls, the pvp, the quests, the events and storyline are soo much better than runescape that you can't even put runescape in the same class. No you have to make excuses for it and give it a browser based handicap in order to even try to compare them in any reasonable manner and even then it fails miserably.  Care to give some solid reasoning for  your opinion?

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

GW is nothing but trash.

LOL!  GW >>>>>> way better>>>>>>> than ruinedscape. Get real now seriously.  I wonder why in the guild wars section of these forums you do not have so many people coming there to complain about the game? The graphics, the game controls, the pvp, the quests, the events and storyline are soo much better than runescape that you can't even put runescape in the same class. No you have to make excuses for it and give it a browser based handicap in order to even try to compare them in any reasonable manner and even then it fails miserably.  Care to give some solid reasoning for  your opinion?

The gameplay in GW flat out sucks, no questions asked.

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

I cannot believe they want more money after their crud updates. They are getting greedy aren't they? GW is a way better deal than RS. I suppose they are asking for more money since they updated thir graphics. Well, I certainly won't be giving them any more money just so that I can keep playing while the game gets worse and worse.

To the guy/chick who said RS>GS.   Are you freakin high??? GS>>>>>RS.

Seriously, how can  you say ruinedscape is better than guild wars. Last time i checked there weren't any mass riots or protests made by players on gw due to any recent updates. Not to mention, its not like 100,000 people didn't just suddenly quit playing GW.

GW is nothing but trash.

And the gameplay in RS is any better?  Not even close...

Grinding on woodcutting, grinding on fletching, grinding on mining, it just goes on.  Rewardless skils that you just continue to do, that is NOT FUN GAMEPLAY.

The skills were nice, but Jagex just did not execute them properly.

P.S.  Wow, another post of mine got deleted....this is beginning to bother me..

yea mine were too all because of quoting skinny's post, from now on when I quote someone like that I am going to censor their post so maybe it will keep mine from being deleted.

The majority of the gaming industry would disagree with that. What you do the most of in runescape is wait for things to happen, that is not gameplay that is boring. You wait for trees to respawn, to chop the logs,  for ore to respawn and then to mine the ores. The entire gameplay on runescape is click on item wait for item to get into inventory on it's own wait for the target to respawn then do it again.  and again and again. mindless repetition that does not take challenge or skill.  And after you have done this mindless repetition long enough you will gain levels that give you no rewards only more mindless repetition and everything that you earn levels to do on that game take longer not less time if you actually move up to the things you have earned to be able to do. 

For example: your mining iron, and gain the levels to mine coal well if you go mine coal you will get less ore and xp per hour than staying mining iron in the first place.  When you are chopping yews and get to the levels to chop magics, it takes you forever to chop magics so you stay at yews instead of actually being able to benefit from the hard earned levels because the system is so bad that hardly anyone on the game actually wants to make themselves suffer by chopping magics at all .. even when they hit 99 it is not worth the time involved. The gamespeed is so slow  that you spend more time waiting for things to happen than actually doing them.

The point to click movement in that game makes it very difficult to move on the main map , and near impossible  to play in any other view than the overhead view. you can move on the minimap but not react like you can in games with wasd movement  and spend wayy too much time just clicking to moves, rather than just holding down a button for movement.

There is no reason  to actually train the skills in runescape because  you would have earned more not training the other skills than actually training them. The economy and crafting system are very broken and the supply and demand are crippled. there will always be more sellers than buyers because each crafter makes thousands of one item and each buyer only needs one or a few of each. for example: one crafter makes thousands of dhide sets but since there is no longer a wilderness buyers only need one set.  there is no longer a need for players to  waste time crafting, smithing, fletching, herblore,  and many more of the now useless skills because there is no  demand for them anymore. You would be better off just mining and selling ores or just wc and selling logs than  you are actually working the other skills at all, because you lose money  and are not rewarded for your efforts.

Now comparing all of this to guild wars features.

Guiild wars has WASD movement and point and click so that you can move easily and manuever better in combat. It is not very level based or gear based like runescape is so it puts more in game value on actual player ability and the PVP in Guild wars is some of the best I have seen in the industry. It takes strategy and planning and no one set of anything in the game overpowers everything so it is very balanced. You do not need to actually do repetitious tasks at all to get ahead in  Guild wars because you can train from arena to arena and only do missions to get to the next areas instead of countless hours of repetitious grinding. In fact if you do not want to grind at all you can start out at max stats if you like with the pvp options. 

Guild wars events are great with snowball tourneys in the winter and their holiday items are actually useful not just  the useless junk you get in rs for the holidays. You can salvage your items so that when you do gain levels your old armor is not entirely useless like it is in runescape, you can actually use parts of your armor to make your new armor in Guild wars. Guild wars also hosts real tourneys where they give out cash prizes and real stuff to let their players know they appreciate them when Runescape does not even know the meaning of customer service and treats their players like they are all replaceable and could care less about their characters or their accounts.

Though Guild wars1 was lacking in other things to do than  pvp and quests, it already surpassed Runescape in so many areas  and sales on  the companys first mmorpg.  Guild wars 2 will be coming out  and it is said that it will have  other things to do with the introducation of their new crafting system and a persistant world, and with the quality they prodiuced  in their first mmorpg I know their second will be amazing. Runescape has been around for about a decade, and what they have produced in that amount of time is substandard at best.  You would think that in that amount  of time they would have been able to come up with better content than what they have. The only reason they have not is because they choose not to listen to their long time players, they would rather follow the kiddie trends.

When you compare their gameplay head to head Guild wars takes skill, strategy and teamwork to play effectively where as runescape just takes mindless repetition and does not require skill . Runescape is not fun nor challenging it is repetitious and boring.  How is that better gameplay? It isn't.

• iamloseriamloser Member Posts: 61

The reason they raised the price is because they made an entire graphics improvement to the entire game.

------------------------------
    atsdf.com
    Among The Shadows
    Darkfall Clan

Originally posted by iamloser

The reason they raised the price is because they made an entire graphics improvement to the entire game.

That is not the reason they HAD to raise prices, that is just only one of their expenses atm and not the most expensive one. They have launched Fun orb and are working on Mechscape, and have suffered a serious blow in membership losses due to their bad business practices.  If they had not had the severe membership loss that they have had recently, they would not have had to raise membership fees in order to cover their expenses.