Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

33 questions about American History.

1. Did the founding fathers support immigration?

2. Did Martin luther King Jr. oppose affirmative action?

3. Were the American Indians really environmentalists?

4. Were state rights just code words for slavery and oppression?

5. What was "The biggest unknown scandal of the Clinton years"?

6. Was the "Wild West" really so wild?

7. How Antiwar have American Liberals actually been over the years?

8. Did the Iroquois Indians influence the US constitution?

9. Did desegeration of schools sginficantly narrow the black-white educational achivement gap?

10. Was the Civil War all about slavery, or was something else at stake as well?

11. Can the president, on hiw own authority, send troops anywhere int he world he wants?

12. Is it true that durning World War 2 "America never had it so good"?

13. How does Social Security really work?

14. Was George Washington Carver really one of Americas greatest scientific geniuses?

15. Was the US constitution ment to be a "living, breating" document that changed with the times?

16. Did the pilgrims flourish in America thanks to Indians agricultural wisdom?

17. Who is most responsible for the "Imperial Presidency"?

18. Is discrimination to blame for racial differences in income and job placement?

19. Where did Thomas Jefferon's radical states right ideas come from?

20. What really happened in Whiskey Rebellion?

21. What made Americas wages rise?

22. Did capitalism cause the great depression?

23. Did HerbertHoover sit back and do nothing durning the Great Depression?

24. Did Franklin Rosevelt's New Deal lift the United States out of the depression?

25. Does the Constitution's Commece Clause really grant the federal gocernment the power to regulate all gainful activity?

26. Can the federal goverenment do whatever it thinks will provide for the "General Welfare" of Americans?

27. Does the Constitution really contain an "elastic clayuse"?

28. Did the Founding Fathers believe juries could refuse to enforce unjust laws?

29. Is the US governent to stringy with foreign aid (or not stringy enough)?

30. Did labor Uniond make Ameircans more free?

31. Should americans care about historians rankings of the presidents?

32. Who was S.B. Fuller?

33. Did Bill Clinton really stop a genocide in Kosovo?

Try to answer as many as you can.  These questions are taken from the book "33 Questions About Americans History Your Not Supposed to Ask".

Comments

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by Muirin

Yes and no.  From my history class they supported workers but did not support making them citizens very quickly. 
    No in many speaches he supported Affirmative Action and stated that since african americans were mistreated for so long they were owed special treatment.  He even compared it to the GI bill.  I have read before that many people believe that he was conservative and against affirmative action due to a speech about being content or something.  But I know he started affirmative action programs himself (I forget the name of it). 
    I would say no.  At least not in the modern sense.  They hunted animals to extinction thinking they would just be reborn (or some such).  I also believe that they had no idea about rotating crops and instead just used land up until it couldn't sustain crops, but I could be wrong about that idea. 
    Well since the civil war had nothing to do with either topic I would say definitely not.  The War had more to do with Tariffs and the North subjecting the South then with Slavery or Oppression.  The South was upset that Tariffs were being placed on items that the South generally traded for. 

Not really sure,  unless they are talking about campaign finance coming from China?
    I would guess (and this is a wild guess because I never liked Western history) no.  I would think most of it is overblown hollywood. 
    Well that depends on who you are talking about.  Democrats have declared War the most times so they could be called a "War Party".  World War 1, World War 2, Vietnam, Korea were all done under Democratic Presidents. 
    Hmm maybe through their confederacy of nations?  I don't remember though in my history classes if they spoke of any direct influence. 
    9. Did desegeration of schools sginficantly narrow the black-white educational achivement gap?
    I would say no.  Even though I am all for equal treatment and I hate that people aren't all treated equally.  (We are all PEOPLE so we are all the same species).  But I would say that it hasn't made a difference.  Schools in predominately inner city minority areas still get lower funding and seem to get a lot less of everything.  I went to a school in a perdominately hispanic community for about 3 months in 9th grade and I had to carry all of my books since there weren't enough lockers.  There weren't enough classrooms either and we had some of our classes in trailers. 
    10. Was the Civil War all about slavery, or was something else at stake as well?
    No, it wasn't about slavery at all.  It was about State Rights and Tariffs. 
    11. Can the president, on hiw own authority, send troops anywhere int he world he wants?
    Using a method of a police action they have numerous times.  But there is supposed to be a Declaration of War by Congress.   Now I suppose the President could use the ol' King of Sparta excuse to move troops around and I guess that is kind of what police actions are.  Since he is operating as the Commander in Chief. 
    Well due to the booming War Machine America had around 1% unemployment which I would guess is one of the lowest rates ever, but on the opposite side Taxes were at all time highes with a 91% tax on incomes of 200K and higher and significantly high throughout the upper middle class to upper class income brackets. 
    Not sure on what the question is answering but I do have a good idea somewhat how Social Security works.  Not sure if this is talking about how it is a Second Tax since the government borrows heavily from it and issues bonds to replace that money or the actual process of getting paid your social security. 
    14. Was George Washington Carver really one of Americas greatest scientific geniuses?
    No idea.  I remember learning about him some in school but I don't remember anything really about it. 
    15. Was the US constitution ment to be a "living, breating" document that changed with the times?
    NO!
    I always learned that they did flourish do to Indians help but no sure. 
    Of course I would say FDR or Lincoln but I would guess that those are too easy an answer.  Maybe one of the other war presidents or maybe Teddy Roosevelt?  I remember reading that he was pretty power hungry and felt that he had oversight on everything. 
    18. Is discrimination to blame for racial differences in income and job placement?
    I would say no.  I think difference in socioeconomic upbringing and quality of education are more to blame. 
    Which radical ideas?  I am a firm believer in State Rights so not sure what the question is actually referring too?  Is it referring to before they made the Constitution which supports pretty major State Rights or after? 
    Not sure. 
    Not sure as well.
    No the great depression was world wide.  It was caused more so by the artificial bubble of wealth created after WW1. 
    Hmm not sure but I would guess so. 
    24. Did Franklin Rosevelt's New Deal lift the United States out of the depression?
    No most the new deal got overturned as unconstitutional and it was WW2 that pulled the US out of the Depression.  Unemployment went from 17% to 1% pretty much overnight. 
    25. Does the Constitution's Commece Clause really grant the federal gocernment the power to regulate all gainful activity?
    I would say no it only gives the government the ability to regulate interstate and foreign trade and the necessary industries to those specific items. 
    26. Can the federal goverenment do whatever it thinks will provide for the "General Welfare" of Americans?
    No
    Yes I forget what the actual name is. 

28. Did the Founding Fathers believe juries could refuse to enforce unjust laws?
    I believe that was a belief of the founding fathers. 
    The US Government in my opinion isn't stingy enough. 
    No, they just instituted a different group that was regulating your freedoms. 
    In my opinion no.  I believe that the historians rankings of presidents is too subjective and definitely not a great indicator of how well they have honestly done.  Plus they can change so much over time. 
    32. Who was S.B. Fuller?
    Wasn't he a african american business man?  I forget what he sold but he was extremely successful if I remember my history right. 
    Didn't the UN call it Ethnic Cleansing instead?  Also, I thought that it was exaggerated by the Clinton Administration? 

Try to answer as many as you can.  These questions are taken from the book "33 Questions About Americans History Your Not Supposed to Ask".

I did my best trying to answer the questions from my head to the best of my knowledge.  Some of these questions were extremely difficult in my opinion. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

I am pretty sure the federalists were more opposed to immigration than the anti-federalists were, but overall I think immigration was pretty much supported. We were still growing as a country and immigration helped us gain power through numbers.
    Not sure, in my American History Class unfortunately we only went up to 1960 due to time limits, so we didn't read too much into the Civil Rights era.
    In today's sense of the word? No. They drastically reduced populations of buffalo to near extinction, and through crops depleted the land. They did have the idea though, that nobody "owns" the land, but that you can use the land.
    No. States rights were about avoiding being overpowered by the federal government. People feared to strong of a national government like that of Great Britain at the time.
    Don't know.
    Not really, it really is blown out of proportion by hollywood.
    Democrats as cabe pointed out, have indeed declared several wars over the years.
    I believe they did.
    Not sure, I have not looked into it really. My guess is probably not as much as some people expected had hoped.
    No it was not about slavery, it was as cabe said about states' rights and tariffs for the most part. Uncle Tom's Cabin though and the Emancipation Proclamation did make slavery a major focus of the war because after Uncle Tom's Cabin slavery was no longer an economic issue, but a moral issue.
    Not for extended periods of time I think. I think he can order troops around for at max 90(?) days then a Declaration of War by Congress must be issued for further intervention.
    No. People underwent harsh rations and there were many shortages (such as rubber and sugar). Factories were all converted into making "war machines", so no longer could people purchase items such as cars.
    Not sure.
    Not sure.
    It depends. From the Federalist viewpoint it had a loose construction meaning you could interpret the meaning in different ways and thus it could change over time with the rulings of the Supreme Court thanks to judicial review. The Democratic-Republicans (Jefferson's party) wanted a strict construction. Although, Jefferson soon ate his own words with the Louisana Purchase... this is also the man that wanted a revolution every generation. So in a away, you can say even the Democratic-Republicans favored a changing constitution as well.
    From what little I read of the pilgrims I believe they did.
    Not sure. My guess is either Andrew Jackson or FDR.
    I think so...
    Enlightenment? Not exactly sure.
    We taxed whiskey by too much so farmers who transported corn grain in the form of whiskey (becuase its easier to move as a liquid opposed to a crop) were outraged and staged a rebellion that was crushed by George Washington and the militia.
    During what period?
    No. Inflated wealth, overspeculation and isolationism caused the great depression.
    No. He actually put into place certain acts that slowed the depression down fairly well.
    NO! WWII did.
    I don't know. I actually need to reread the Constitution over summer break for my Government class next year, so I will find out then I guess...
    I don't think so...
    Yes, I believe so.
    My guess is yes.
    These are questions about American history and they are asking an opinionated question?
    Depends, labor unions did not necessarily make Americans more free, but they did help create labor laws that helped workers.
    No, not really. Its all subjective. We should learn from the past presidents though.
    32. Who was S.B. Fuller?
    Self-made man?
    Don't know.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

32. Who was S.B. Fuller?

What is the source of this set of highly loaded and leading "questions"?

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• Originally posted by Cabe2323

Yes and no.  From my history class they supported workers but did not support making them citizens very quickly. 
    Thats close.  The founding fathers warned of dangers if immigration levers were not limited.  Something like if alot of immigrants moved to the US they would bring with them their views and values of a government (monarch or dictator) and could threatned the current form of government.  The founding fathers would rather let the population grow on its on then have it grow by inviting immigrants.
    No in many speaches he supported Affirmative Action and stated that since african americans were mistreated for so long they were owed special treatment.  He even compared it to the GI bill.  I have read before that many people believe that he was conservative and against affirmative action due to a speech about being content or something.  But I know he started affirmative action programs himself (I forget the name of it). 
    Correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would say no.  At least not in the modern sense.  They hunted animals to extinction thinking they would just be reborn (or some such).  I also believe that they had no idea about rotating crops and instead just used land up until it couldn't sustain crops, but I could be wrong about that idea. 
    Correct!!!!!!!!
    Well since the civil war had nothing to do with either topic I would say definitely not.  The War had more to do with Tariffs and the North subjecting the South then with Slavery or Oppression.  The South was upset that Tariffs were being placed on items that the South generally traded for. 
     Correct!!!!!!!!!!
    Not really sure,  unless they are talking about campaign finance coming from China?
    Kosovo, Clinton aided and abetted the spread of Islamic radicalism into the Balkans with the war aginst the Serbs.  the US allready had a bad immage with muslims at that point so to try to get on their good side Clinton took their side on the war aginst the Serbs. 
    I would guess (and this is a wild guess because I never liked Western history) no.  I would think most of it is overblown hollywood. 
    Even in the absence of government, the old West was far less violent then most American cities today.  Frontiersmen developed private mechanisms to enforce the law and define and enfornce property rights.
    Well that depends on who you are talking about.  Democrats have declared War the most times so they could be called a "War Party".  World War 1, World War 2, Vietnam, Korea were all done under Democratic Presidents. 
    Correct!!!!!!!!!  Liberals supported all major american wars, but when the wars become unpopular they drop all their support.
    Hmm maybe through their confederacy of nations?  I don't remember though in my history classes if they spoke of any direct influence. 
    I never heard about this either until i read the book.  The Iroquois Leage bears no resemblance to the US system of government.
    I would say no.  Even though I am all for equal treatment and I hate that people aren't all treated equally.  (We are all PEOPLE so we are all the same species).  But I would say that it hasn't made a difference.  Schools in predominately inner city minority areas still get lower funding and seem to get a lot less of everything.  I went to a school in a perdominately hispanic community for about 3 months in 9th grade and I had to carry all of my books since there weren't enough lockers.  There weren't enough classrooms either and we had some of our classes in trailers. 
    I went to a school that was 90% white and i had to carry all my books in 7th grade becuase they dint have enough lockers.  Only 8th and 9th graders got lockers, but had to share them (their the half sized lockers). 
    The black-white educational gap which is as big as four grade lvels in some subjects is alive and well despite decades of desegration efforts and has shown no greater improsvement in intergrated school then in largely black ones. 
    Money isnt the solution, while their need to have enough funding for the school and school district throwing money wont solve the problem.  Public School is a failed system.
    No, it wasn't about slavery at all.  It was about State Rights and Tariffs. 
    Correct!!!!!!!
    Using a method of a police action they have numerous times.  But there is supposed to be a Declaration of War by Congress.   Now I suppose the President could use the ol' King of Sparta excuse to move troops around and I guess that is kind of what police actions are.  Since he is operating as the Commander in Chief. 
    In a deliberate break from the Brisith tradition, the Framers of the Constitution specfically invested the legislative branch, not the executive, with war-making powers.  Today republicans and democrats alike claim that it is outdated to believe that president cannot send troops into battle without congressional approval.  If the founding fathers ever ment for the president to have the power to troops all over the world to act as the police it would of been written into the constutition.  So the act of sending troops to another country can be see as an act of war in itself. 
    Well due to the booming War Machine America had around 1% unemployment which I would guess is one of the lowest rates ever, but on the opposite side Taxes were at all time highes with a 91% tax on incomes of 200K and higher and significantly high throughout the upper middle class to upper class income brackets. 
    The "wartime prosperity" that historians frequently describe was nothing but an illusion.  Wrld War 2 was in fact a period of deprivation.  thanks to government rationing and deversion of so much of the private sector's efforts to war-related work, consumer goods were less readily  available and more expensive, and people had less money with which to buy thoes goods.  Consumers are what drives an economy not the government.  It was an all time low for consumer spending and an all time high for government spending.
    Not sure on what the question is answering but I do have a good idea somewhat how Social Security works.  Not sure if this is talking about how it is a Second Tax since the government borrows heavily from it and issues bonds to replace that money or the actual process of getting paid your social security.
    SS is a tax which does not giver the individual the right to any benefit or earmarks funds for him.  The individual reveives nothing but a promise "to tax your children to take care of you in your old age."
    No idea.  I remember learning about him some in school but I don't remember anything really about it. 
    Carver's scientific achievemtns were quire modest, but many people, including carver himself, inflated the myth of his scientific genius.  Carver claimed to have over 300 peanut products, but apon his death the Carver museum released a figure of 287.  The list was filled with duplications, including 30 cloth dyes.
    Alot of invensions, but not as great as other scientists.  In the end its quality not quanity.
    NO!
    Correct!!!!
    I always learned that they did flourish do to Indians help but no sure. 
    American Indians simply din't use fertilizer, Squanto showed the Pilgrims a rechnique he had probably learned from Europeans.  It was more effecient for the American Indians to just move where they plant their crops rather then fertilize their crops.
    Of course I would say FDR or Lincoln but I would guess that those are too easy an answer.  Maybe one of the other war presidents or maybe Teddy Roosevelt?  I remember reading that he was pretty power hungry and felt that he had oversight on everything. 
    Theodore Roosevelt was the president who started the "imperial presidency".
    I would say no.  I think difference in socioeconomic upbringing and quality of education are more to blame. 
    The casual assumption that discrimination is the source  of all these problems is simply false.  In many cases their is a wide range of factors at work, none of which has to do with discrimination. 
    Which radical ideas?  I am a firm believer in State Rights so not sure what the question is actually referring too?  Is it referring to before they made the Constitution which supports pretty major State Rights or after? 
    Yeah it a confusing title IMO.  Jeffersons ideas of state rights were part of the mainstream political tradition at the time.
    Not sure. 
    The Whiskey Rebellion wasnt just located in Pennsylvania.  It was widespread along all of the frontier and the tax was in place until the government gave up on it entirely.  The federal government dint do anything inforce the tax outside of Pennsylvania.
    Not sure as well.
    Capital investment is what helped raised wages.
    No the great depression was world wide.  It was caused more so by the artificial bubble of wealth created after WW1. 
    Government intervention in the economy caused the great depression not capitalism.
    Hmm not sure but I would guess so. 
    His interventionist effeors to try to stave off the depressions helped to lay the groundwork for Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal.  In the process he helped to prolong the depressions by not leting the market correct itself.
    No most the new deal got overturned as unconstitutional and it was WW2 that pulled the US out of the Depression.  Unemployment went from 17% to 1% pretty much overnight. 
    Correct!!!!!!!
    I would say no it only gives the government the ability to regulate interstate and foreign trade and the necessary industries to those specific items. 
    Correct!!!!!!
    No
    Correct!!!!!
    Yes I forget what the actual name is. 
     The Founding fathers explicity and repeatedly affirmed that the constitution granted the federal government only the aurthoiry to carry out its specifically enumerated powers.  The supreme court ignored that history is grant the federal government far more expansive powers.
    I believe that was a belief of the founding fathers. 
    Correct!!!!!!
    The US Government in my opinion isn't stingy enough. 
    $2 trillion in foreign aid and their is nothing to show for it, except for propping up corrupt reignms and postponing economic reform.
    No, they just instituted a different group that was regulating your freedoms. 
    Correct!!!!!
    In my opinion no.  I believe that the historians rankings of presidents is too subjective and definitely not a great indicator of how well they have honestly done.  Plus they can change so much over time. 
    Correct!!!!!!!!
    32. Who was S.B. Fuller?
    Wasn't he a african american business man?  I forget what he sold but he was extremely successful if I remember my history right. 
    S.B. Fuller, all but forgotten today, was a great example of the use of economic means to bring prosperity and independence to a disadvantage people.  He said some said stuff that was taken out of context and it made him look bad.  So instead of being a hero to the black community he was turned into enemy.  Even to the point that black boycotted his company.
    Didn't the UN call it Ethnic Cleansing instead?  Also, I thought that it was exaggerated by the Clinton Administration? 
     The Clinton administration used fabricated casualty figured to obscure what was taking place in Kosoco.  Not "genocide" but a burtal civil war that had claimed several thousand lives.  The Kosoco Liberation Army, which the Clinton administration itself had prebiously called a "terrorist group," proved resitant to preace efforts and actually conducted ethnic cleaning of its own.

I did my best trying to answer the questions from my head to the best of my knowledge.  Some of these questions were extremely difficult in my opinion. 

yeah some of the questions where misleading.  Its a good book to read, only 263 pages so its not to long.

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prebailing superstitions and taboos.  Almost inevitable he came to the conslusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it.  And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among thoes who are."

• Originally posted by SioBabble

32. Who was S.B. Fuller?

What is the source of this set of highly loaded and leading "questions"?

http://www.amazon.com/Questions-About-American-History-Supposed/dp/0307346692/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215397963&sr=8-1

• goobamagoobama Member Posts: 35

Rofl where are these questions from? I bet the guy who wrote this book voted for Bush twice. All of these questions have answers that lead to liberal bashing. Hell anyone can come up with 33 questions that have answers bashing liberals. What a load of shit.

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Originally posted by Cabe2323

NO!
    Correct!!!!

In view of this answer, please explain the purpose of placing provisions in the constitution for amendment of the Constitution?

I'd probably comment on more of these answers except the post is too long, and I have to leave for work.

Originally posted by olddaddy

NO!
    Correct!!!!

In view of this answer, please explain the purpose of placing provisions in the constitution for amendment of the Constitution?

I'd probably comment on more of these answers except the post is too long, and I have to leave for work.

What the question and answer means is the Supreme Court's interpertation of the Constitution.  IT wasn't a Document that was meant to be broadly interperted for the gain of power and instead was supposed to be strictly adhered to.  Amendments to the Constitution are fine. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

• Originally posted by goobama

Rofl where are these questions from? I bet the guy who wrote this book voted for Bush twice. All of these questions have answers that lead to liberal bashing. Hell anyone can come up with 33 questions that have answers bashing liberals. What a load of shit.

If you read the very end i told you where the questions are from.  And the author of this book is a libertarian.  Just becuase their is alot of misinformation out their about Liberals doesnt mean its liberal bashing to show the truth. 

• Smilex0311Smilex0311 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by olddaddy

NO!
    Correct!!!!

it may not have been intended to be a living breathing doc. (So why are there amendments?)  However, you should wake up!  Change is inevitable .... America is not the farmer nation it was when that document was created.  Land is running out, population is increasing, natural resources are depleting   The world was not on the same level of globalization as it is now.   So....please standby for your NWO.

Originally posted by Smilex0311

it may not have been intended to be a living breathing doc. (So why are there amendments?)  However, you should wake up!  Change is inevitable .... America is not the farmer nation it was when that document was created.  Land is running out, population is increasing, natural resources are depleting   The world was not on the same level of globalization as it is now.   So....please standby for your NWO.

Land is running out?  Really?  I guess we should inform North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho, Utah, Montana, Alaska, etc that they don't have much land left. 

Heck there is a ton of undeveloped land right here in Florida. 

Land is not running out. 

Personally I have no problems with change but that doesn't mean you have to Trample over the Constitution.  We have a great country here in America and the reason is we were founded on such strong ideas.  The farther we get away from the original intent of the forefathers the worse we will be off IMO. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

Eh good point we do have land. 

But there is no metropolitan areas in ND etc.  Suburbs and rural areas that are close enough for commuting are what I am talking about.  Yeah I could buy land in ND there is no jobs but farming.  Or I could go to the swamps in florida or coastal florida and watch my house get blown away every summer. 

I am talking about  PA, NY, NJ, the NorthEast area.   An acre here cost $300,000.  Compared to ND or Alaska where its much less.

Get my point?

But there is no metropolitan areas in ND etc.  Suburbs and rural areas that are close enough for commuting are what I am talking about.  Yeah I could buy land in ND there is no jobs but farming.  Or I could go to the swamps in florida or coastal florida and watch my house get blown away every summer. 
    I am talking about  PA, NY, NJ, the NorthEast area.   An acre here cost $300,000.  Compared to ND or Alaska where its much less.
    Get my point?

There is no reason you need to live in PA, NY, NJ, or any North East area.  I am from NY and I moved to Florida in Highschool about 15 years ago.  There is still plenty of land here even near large Metro Areas.  Plenty of land within a 1 hour distance of Tampa FL.  I am talking inexpensive as well, Houses in the 150K range for 3-4 bedrooms and brand new. 

Austin and other areas of TX are the same as well.  Great Job Markets with low prices for homes. 

Just because you choose to live in an area that is already highly developed does not mean there is a problem with land. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

Get my point?

There is no reason you need to live in PA, NY, NJ, or any North East area.  I am from NY and I moved to Florida in Highschool about 15 years ago.  Austin and other areas of TX are the same as well.  Great Job Markets with low prices for homes. 

Just because you choose to live in an area that is already highly developed does not mean there is a problem with land. 

Your right land is not running out we have alot of it.  But, I dont like the dessert, I dont like swamp lands, and I dont like Hurricanes.  The NE region is the most comftorable for me. Its too freking hot in FL. In PA  we get little of everything , but no EQs or hurricanes. (crosses fingers). 

Highly developed means less availible and more expensive.  Soon I am moving to Pittsburgh where jobs are a little harder to find, but costs of living is better. 

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

The idea that indians hunted buffalo to extinction  is a bit misleading. Most of the buffalo herds were killed off by the railway companies which were heading west and east independently. I know, I have pictures from my Great Grandfathers dad which showed piles of Buffalo they killed off. In comparison the Indians,pre-horse era, were only making a small dent in there populations.

A large portion of the Indians from the west managed plots of land by doing controlled burns in a seasonal cycle on rotating lots. This allowed for easier hunting and more feed for the deer. We still do this where I live. Works great. Some indians did do sustained agriculture. Others didnt. Even if they overfarmed they moved on and by the time they got back nature had fixed things.

Basically the indians could do damage to the environment without the long lasting effects due to the fact they didnt have the technology to do so. Nature was just a few steps ahead of them.

My personal favorite Indian group is one from Arizona which moved between several locations depending on the 100 year rain cycle. Parts of the time they lived in the moutains during the dry times, using water available and being hunter gatherers. In the wet times they went to lower altitudes and farmed variopus crops. They also understood soil depletion and had crops grown which replenished the soil.

By no means were all indians so wise. Some were incapable of understanding the environment. The Mezoamericans basically killed themselves in cycles by overpopulation and starvation. Folowed by regrowth and depopulation. A viscous cycle to say the least.

A majority of the questions asked are two sided and neither positive or negative answered would be satisfactory to me so Ill refrain from the rest due to the length the answers would be.